Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sucrose posted:

I need a “Have a good high rather than bad high” guide.

Make sure you feel safe and comfortable, have a couple things planned, even if it's just "watch this movie," have a drink and some food ready in an easy spot to get to, maybe make sure your most pressing real world responsibilities are handled. Suggested music: Spyro Gyra - Catching the Sun

e I also really liked the movies 2001: A Space Odyssey and Quest for Fire (Clan of the Cave Bear isn't as good, just rewatch Quest for Fire). YouTube also has a whole grip of recordings of Terence Mckenna lectures set against spacey music and visuals, those really did it for me for a while. Go one bowl at a time, and examine what you're feeling. Cannabis isn't really a party drug, even though parties usually include some.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Try not to bring any baseless anxiety with you and it won't be there to get multiplied. Buy some industrial cbd hemp too, and blend a bit with whatever else you got.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
weed is boring the hell out of me, i either need a new strain or i need a longer t-break

edit: i guess i use it to deal with depression/ptsd and it isn’t really helping for that anymore, too

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if you're feeling anxiety while on weed just don't think about how your heart just skipped a beat. did it just do it again? oh man

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got the same issue and I've found that vaping at a lower temperature or vaping different stuff entirely fixes it. Some weed does it and some weed doesn't. Durban poison at 430 makes me anxious, at 370 degrees doesn't make me anxious.

African queen doesn't do it to me at all.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

redreader posted:

I've got the same issue and I've found that vaping at a lower temperature or vaping different stuff entirely fixes it. Some weed does it and some weed doesn't. Durban poison at 430 makes me anxious, at 370 degrees doesn't make me anxious.

African queen doesn't do it to me at all.

This is a real phenomena; different cannabinoids vaporize at different temperatures and seem to have slightly different effects. You can also decarb concentrate/weed for longer to get a sleepier edible out of it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
interesting... i usually leave my pen on the lowest setting so its less harsh but that could just be the carts we get here in an unenlightened part of the count

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The Modern Leper posted:

This is maybe more of a serious about weed question, but at what point do you decide that maybe you're doing better without it? Sounds like you're close to a month and having a net positive experience.

nishi koichi posted:

weed is boring the hell out of me, i either need a new strain or i need a longer t-break

edit: i guess i use it to deal with depression/ptsd and it isn’t really helping for that anymore, too

So, these are totally good questions for here imo. I think when weed is no longer serving the purpose you want it to, i.e. not helping with depression or anxiety or ptsd or whatever else, it's time to take a T break and re-approach your relationship with it. I've been trying to practice mindfulness more often and trying to be more aware of my own self and emotions, and that's helped fill some of the gaps during my t break. I am hoping that after a month off, I can get back to a bit more casual relationship with it, because I think that's gonna be more successful for me and what I want out of it.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

This is a real phenomena; different cannabinoids vaporize at different temperatures and seem to have slightly different effects. You can also decarb concentrate/weed for longer to get a sleepier edible out of it.

Also, if you've never done it, buy some cheap weed and throw it in a mediocrely sealed container for 4-6 weeks, then smoke it. CBN is fuckin' awesome for sleeping

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

bagmonkey posted:

So, these are totally good questions for here imo. I think when weed is no longer serving the purpose you want it to, i.e. not helping with depression or anxiety or ptsd or whatever else, it's time to take a T break and re-approach your relationship with it. I've been trying to practice mindfulness more often and trying to be more aware of my own self and emotions, and that's helped fill some of the gaps during my t break. I am hoping that after a month off, I can get back to a bit more casual relationship with it, because I think that's gonna be more successful for me and what I want out of it.

Thanks for the response. Glad you’re looking into mindfulness—that was going to be my suggestion (and something I’ve also been working on).

Sucrose—echoing the advice re temperature. I rarely vape above 350-360 anymore. Supposedly, that gets you all the happy/stabilizing chemicals (beta caryophyllene, myrcene, limonene, CBD at the highest point), without the anxiety and without the sleepy chemicals (CBN and THCV, primarily).

Don’t know how seriously to take lab environment boiling points when vaping black market “Chemdawg,” and you definitely leave some THC on the table,but it’s served me well so far.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The Modern Leper posted:

This is maybe more of a serious about weed question, but at what point do you decide that maybe you're doing better without it? Sounds like you're close to a month and having a net positive experience.

Whenever I feel comfortable making that call I guess. For me the pandemic made it really easy to fall into a smoke weed everyday habit. I don't want to do that indefinitely since it clearly has some negative effects for me. I had a 4 day weekend when I started this break where i took a mini trip a few hours out of town and just didn't bring any weed with me. After that it was relatively easy to keep my daily habit broken. I might start smoking again on weekends or something once I feel like my system is cleaned out but I don't really have any concrete plans. I might try to just keep it a social thing when I'm with friends instead of what I do when I'm bored at home. My only real goal is to just not do it every day :shrug:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I got some Cheese Whiz (Skunk #1 x Afghani) and even mixing with CBD my anxiety went nuts. So I don’t know if it’s a strain thing, or a terpinolene one since it’s almost a 1% batch. I vape everything at 380 so maybe stepping it down some might help (this does have some thcv though so either way I won’t be getting any of that)

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If you're in a legal state, look for high CBD varieties. It's supposed to moderate the anxiety-inducing effects of THC.

Thanks. It was an edible I had that made me all nervous like that. I didn’t even have that much, it was like 10 mg, but it was bad enough I was just laying there wishing for it to end for an hour or so. I don’t know if I was just too high or things went sidewise somehow. I’m fine smoking a couple bowls.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Try not to bring any baseless anxiety with you and it won't be there to get multiplied.

Ha, that’s not going to happen.

I have an anxiety disorder and maybe the problem is just that too many of the thoughts that go through my head are worries and it gets really unpleasant when it feels like each thought takes about 5 minutes to complete.

Obviously, I don’t have this problem when I’m drinking alcohol, but I prefer weed to alcohol because

a) I don’t have to get up and piss constantly when high, and I sober up in just a few hours instead of being hammered all night
b) I reeeaally don’t want to fall into a pattern of drinking every night and becoming an alcoholic.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I need to go back on a t break/take a longer one this time. However, over the weekend I got insanely high and watched Godzilla vs Kong, which was basically the experience I've been chasing for months, so I feel I'm in a more satisfactory place to take a break now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sucrose posted:

For me the key is mainly the amount and the situation. If I get too high the anxiety just spikes, so a couple puffs of weed or a single medium-sized dab hit is plenty. And not getting high in situations where it doesn't make sense and won't help anything.

Weed also doesn't help me sleep at all like it does some people, in fact it makes me incapable of sleeping until the main high has worn off. So basically, just using discretion and smoking at the right time, when I don't have much to worry about and I can just kick back and watch or play something. And then discretion in the amount as well.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mozi posted:

if you're feeling anxiety while on weed just don't think about how your heart just skipped a beat. did it just do it again? oh man

I get this poo poo the worst. I'll have like a stomach cramp (because I just demolished a bag of chips and maybe some candy or other munchies too) and immediately think "OH GOD THIS IS THE BIG ONE I'M DYING"

Then I wake up the next day feeling completely fine.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Another way to avoid anxiety (this helps but doesn't actually fix it) is to have something ready to do as soon as you've stopped smoking so you don't just think anxiety thoughts. Have a podcast or music or video game or whatever ready. Don't stop smoking, amble into the kitchen, and do some washing up while thinking your hosed up anxiety thoughts.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

Another way to avoid anxiety (this helps but doesn't actually fix it) is to have something ready to do as soon as you've stopped smoking so you don't just think anxiety thoughts. Have a podcast or music or video game or whatever ready. Don't stop smoking, amble into the kitchen, and do some washing up while thinking your hosed up anxiety thoughts.

Small basic rear end poo poo like yard work, vacuuming, cleaning, all that stuff owns bones while high. It's great because you have a defined "thing" you need to do and you can keep your high rear end focused on it while not hating what your doing. My personal favorite for the past year+ has been doing bike repair/restoration. Every time I gently caress things up, I actually get to spend the time working through the problem and figuring out how to fix it. Satisfying as poo poo.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Hash and Jerry Garcia's "The Wheel" are blowing sunshine into my brain rn, 11/10 would recommend

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 5, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im trying GSC for the first time tomorrow :)

So far I have tried:

Gorilla Glue - very strong, good taste, good for when you want to be sociable.
Super Silver Haze - Also strong, piney sorta flavor, great for going to sleep.
Big Kush - good all-rounder that is v strong and v tasty.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Sucrose posted:

Be in a comfortable space with people you love and have a solid grasp on whatever deep psychological issues you have ; don't have any active untreated mental disorders, don't have any serious mentaldisorders period, use small dose

And, most important

Be a person who enjoys weed

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
best way to deal with a bad high or trip in general of youre not able to prevent it altogether is get up and go do something else. Leave the room you're in at the very least. Plan things that you can do ahead of time to occupy your thoughts if you get in a bad place. It seems simple but if you sit around in your head thinking paranoid or anxious thoughts you can and will get stuck there especially on weed and other psychedelic drugs.

my go to is i will take my dogs out for a walk if i need to calm down or distract from uncomfortable thoughts. if youre very new to getting high going out in public might not be such a good idea so come up with something that works for you at home. videogames are great distractions. or a movie/tv show youve seen already.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

best way to deal with a bad high or trip in general of youre not able to prevent it altogether is get up and go do something else. Leave the room you're in at the very least. Plan things that you can do ahead of time to occupy your thoughts if you get in a bad place. It seems simple but if you sit around in your head thinking paranoid or anxious thoughts you can and will get stuck there especially on weed and other psychedelic drugs.

my go to is i will take my dogs out for a walk if i need to calm down or distract from uncomfortable thoughts. if youre very new to getting high going out in public might not be such a good idea so come up with something that works for you at home. videogames are great distractions. or a movie/tv show youve seen already.

One of my go-tos is bed + comfort movie/show. Like bed+King of the Hill is basically a magic "you're not dying" potion whenever I'd get way too hosed up. But if you can do it, walks are wonderful as well as exercise, video games or anything that distracts you

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
If it's cold out just go stand outside for ten minutes. Nothing kills my high like that.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lying down and taking a nap always mellows me out, and unless I got way too high, I can try getting high again when I wake up. Or I wake up 10 hours later still in my clothes with the lights on.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Here's my question: will weed make the side effects from the covid vaccine better or worse? I feel like poo poo today and I might just call off work tomorrow and ride this out by getting baked and watching trash tv.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Twitch posted:

Here's my question: will weed make the side effects from the covid vaccine better or worse? I feel like poo poo today and I might just call off work tomorrow and ride this out by getting baked and watching trash tv.

weed should have absolutely no interaction with the covid vaccine or any vaccine for that matter. some people feel very tired and wiped out after getting theirs but from what i hear you should be back to normal after 24 hr or so. the side effects of weed could of course make you feel even more lethargic. Me my arm just hurt for a few days so i guess im lucky.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

thathonkey posted:

weed should have absolutely no interaction with the covid vaccine or any vaccine for that matter. some people feel very tired and wiped out after getting theirs but from what i hear you should be back to normal after 24 hr or so. the side effects of weed could of course make you feel even more lethargic. Me my arm just hurt for a few days so i guess im lucky.

maybe a tiny, tiny bit of anti-inflammatory assistance for your sore shoulder

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

maybe a tiny, tiny bit of anti-inflammatory assistance for your sore shoulder

and some cottonmouth to help remind you to drink some dang water

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Weed is a panacea. I've been burning it like sage to ward covid away from my lungs.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What I'm realizing is that I want to get high after work today. I didn't really need a long break so much as I shouldn't get high literally every day.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, gonna recommend against vaping weed with any sort of flu-like symptoms. I'm okay after a nap, but it's sitting in a chair wrapped in a blanket and delirious watching tv high

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

we did it

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/07/985014557/virginia-16th-state-to-legalize-recreational-pot-latest-to-emphasize-social-equi

legal weed and 4 plants per household starting July 1

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

well technically i didn't do anything just got stoned but victory to us!!

for real tho congrats! that's fun

I was curious and looked up the growing laws in Nevada... they actually kinda blow really hard

quote:

Recreational pot cultivation is permitted under very limited circumstances. Only people who live more than 25 miles from the nearest dispensary are allowed to grow pot. In reality, this rule outlaws anyone in Clark and Washoe Counties.

... where literally everyone in Nevada lives

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much that is actually enforced though?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

welcome to the promised land

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I feel like Texas will be the last state if ever (probably federally legal first), but also Texas is greedy af and there’s money to be had.

At least I can buy delta 8 at headshops. It’s kinda like being legal.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

welcome to the promised land

Cant wait to finally smoke weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

LuckyCat posted:

Sometimes I feel like Texas will be the last state if ever (probably federally legal first), but also Texas is greedy af and there’s money to be had.

Nah, my guess is Wisconsin