Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Until I Have You is a recently released Cyberpunk themed action sidescroller about one man’s journey through twelve multi-staged levels to rescue his significant other from the clutches of evil. To preserve the tone as best as possible commentary will be provided via subtitles, and this will be a clean run with no deaths, and a 100% score on every stage. I fully expect to regret this decision come chapter eight or so.

What's good? The story is interesting, and an obvious deconstruction of classic video game protagonists, and the music and graphics are on point especially if you are nostalgic for Sega Genesis/MegaDrive style games. The game takes the classic cyberpunk transhumanism and noir routes quite well, and has some cool gameplay and story interaction.

What's not so good? The voice editing is.... weird. I know the games creators were part of the Adventure Game Studio group, and I'm guessing that's where some of their voice actors came from. Either way, the end result is a widely varied talent pool of characters, some excellent, some not so much, and most sounding like they were recorded in different rooms with different equipment. Added bonus if you are an ASMR fan, the main character also sounds like he couldn't get hold of a popper stopper.

What is the biggest downfall? The gameplay. For the full background, you have to understand that even in the short time this game has been out is has undergone many many significant changes to make it easier. Since the original release, checkpoints have been added, your character has been given a regenerative shield that can absorb one hit at a time, and a rewind time mechanic has been added. For the purposes of this LP however it won't matter too much, as I won't be shot, won't use checkpoints, and will be minimally using the rewind time mechanic (it's super bugged as of recording, and often turns off the music and/or drops you into a pit). The original plan was to have it mouse controlled too, which blows my mind. I have tried it, and will show off the way it works at some point because I've never seen anything like it. Your speed is determined by how far the mouse is from the center of the screen. Now imagine doing that for platforming on this (relatively easy) level:

So why are you LPing this? Because for all its flaws, I think more people should see this game. According to the creators, most people gave up on either the first or second boss fight, and this is a real shame as by that point the world is still building up around you, and the game has yet to enter any of its really interesting themes. Also for a the personal challenge of LPing something that has never really been solved as a game.

What is needed to get a 100% score in levels? It changes, but going quick, not getting hit, and not dying at all are the main ones. You can get a bonus to your percentage by killing all enemies, only using one weapon etc.

Schedule? Twelve short episodes, two a week. If you take out dying a lot this game is quite brief.

Spoiler policy?No future event spoilers. Speculation about things up to and including the latest episode is encouraged however.

Participation? Not in the main LP. Nobody has yet to do what will occur in this LP, so if you think there is a better way to approach a level, let me know and I can go back and check it out.

Let’s Play!

Shot In The Dark (Part 1)
Cold Light (Part 2)
Buried Beneath the Falling Cherry Blossoms (Part 3)
Like Lambs to the Slaughter (Part 4)
Birds Winging Through the Sky (Part 5)
240 Degrees (Part 6)
Through Forgery We Thrive (Part 7)
Illusions of Grandeur (Part 8)
Decadence (Part 9)
Point of No Return (Part 10)
Join the Glorious Revolution (Part 11)
Growing Numb (Final)

Full Playlist

EXTRA VIDEO: Boss Rush - Hardcore

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Shot In The Dark - Chapter One

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
That first holovid really did not endear me to our hero, but then neither did the whole thing about him never being home and, whoops, girlfriend's kidnapped. Sure, now you wanna be with her...

But the art and music are pretty nice, even so.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anoia posted:

That first holovid really did not endear me to our hero, but then neither did the whole thing about him never being home and, whoops, girlfriend's kidnapped. Sure, now you wanna be with her...

But the art and music are pretty nice, even so.

It took me longer than the first episode to realise it, but no, this is not a sympathetic protagonist.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Chapter Two - Cold Light

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?
Oh man. The sequence at the end of chapter two got to me because Emily's backwards speech is one of the last twitter messages that Monty Oum sent out before he died.

I'm most interested for the end of this. Is Emily still alive at all? When we get to her and she is, will she want to pick up her life with The Artist where they left off? Will she reject him because of the murderbot he's turned himself into in order to save her?

If The Artist ends up alone at the end of all of this I really can't blame anyone. He's turned himself into a one-track-killer for a cause he's on for purely selfish reasons all sparked by his own hand. And from what we've seen of the recordings he only seemed to have passion for his "art" and nothing else until his girlfriend got kidnapped. Hell he might only be after her because of the challenge at this point, just another protracted heist. Just this time paired with revenge.

Also was Orianna flying around shooting superbeams because this is a Shadowrun-like setting with supernatural elements to it or was she a murdercyborg too with badass laser and shield enhancements?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Sparda219 posted:

Oh man. The sequence at the end of chapter two got to me because Emily's backwards speech is one of the last twitter messages that Monty Oum sent out before he died.

I didn't know that, that's super sad. I actually thought I heard her say "guys" at the start but it wasn't clear enough to be sure, now I realise it must be a direct quote. :(

Sparda219 posted:

Also was Orianna flying around shooting superbeams because this is a Shadowrun-like setting with supernatural elements to it or was she a murdercyborg too with badass laser and shield enhancements?

Spoilers for the start of the next episode, but nothing major, Ori was the chief mechanic of the power plant of Great Meals, who it is heavily implied are involved in dodgy stuff. While it seems a bit over the top I can kind of see how a criminal with unlimited access to cyberpunk power technology would weaponise it.

There doesn't appear to be actual magic in this setting though.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The first boss being an extreme otaku cosplayer was a nice touch, but Oriana was just... well, her voice acting definitely ruined whatever they were going for, unless hammy was it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anoia posted:

The first boss being an extreme otaku cosplayer was a nice touch, but Oriana was just... well, her voice acting definitely ruined whatever they were going for, unless hammy was it.

Hammy + overlong weird gaps in between lines. On one hand, she is obviously a super OTT dramatic character, on the other hand, nobody ever talks like that, even campy villains.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Zenithe posted:

Hammy + overlong weird gaps in between lines. On one hand, she is obviously a super OTT dramatic character, on the other hand, nobody ever talks like that, even campy villains.

I was a little reminded of this scene from Devil May Cry 4.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Chapter Three - Buried Beneath the Falling Cherry Blossoms

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zenithe posted:

It took me longer than the first episode to realise it, but no, this is not a sympathetic protagonist.
A bit late to the party but I think the first clue is the game's name, really. Looks super interesting, though.

e: I'm really thinking our protagonist is just using Emily (does she exist? I'm fully expecting mindfuck territory here) as an excuse to go on a revenge spree - apparently he had to work for the bosses, so...

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 6, 2016

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
This looks super neat - good aesthetic design covers a multitude of sins for me!

Edit: I would also like to add that the "not there jar" is the most hilarious way to convey a broken relationship that exists in any universe, ever.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 6, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

e: I'm really thinking our protagonist is just using Emily (does she exist? I'm fully expecting mindfuck territory here) as an excuse to go on a revenge spree - apparently he had to work for the bosses, so...

100% agree she is his excuse to get things going, but I'm fairly sure she actually exists.

Bacter posted:

This looks super neat - good aesthetic design covers a multitude of sins for me!

Edit: I would also like to add that the "not there jar" is the most hilarious way to convey a broken relationship that exists in any universe, ever.

Generally this game does a fairly decent job at explaining away the more ridiculous aspects, i.e. later there is a Castlevania themed level which actually has a reason to exist. I'm really hoping there is an explanation at some point for both the weirdo pot o' gold, and for why we use a baseball bat.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Nah I'm on board with a token financial penalty for neglecting my significant other. "Are you still pissed I went drinking on your birthday? Come on I threw a tenner in the Never There Jar."

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Clearly the jar works. If it was getting full, that means she was ok with being continually emotionally neglected, so long as it was acknowledged financially. She was a good $50 into the "my husband doesn't love me" jar, and presumably she would have continued had she not been kidnapped.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a divorce fund.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Random_Username posted:

Clearly the jar works. If it was getting full, that means she was ok with being continually emotionally neglected, so long as it was acknowledged financially. She was a good $50 into the "my husband doesn't love me" jar, and presumably she would have continued had she not been kidnapped.

Spoilers (if you are incredibly, incredibly stupid)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
THIS ISN'T ENOUGH DUBLOONS, JERRY. OH, HOW DO I KNOW? BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T HERE AT ALL LAST WEEK, AND YET I ONLY SEE FOUR DUBLOONS IN HERE, JERRY! AAAGGHHHH *smash*

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"It's chocolate money! What kind of a pirate are you, anyway?!"

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

THESE ARE CANADIAN QUARTERS

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Spoilers (if you are incredibly, incredibly stupid)

Maybe she was just cashing out so she could buy a larger jar.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

What is up with the bosses in this game? I laughed out loud at this guy's name card. Are they named after forum members? Pals of the main dev? What?

I'm guessing the hulk form when we dilate time is a sign of our increasing brain problems, too. That's kinda interesting, admittedly.

Also calling it now: either our girlfriend was never actually kidnapped and just walked the gently caress out, or if she was taken she's not gonna be happy to see us. Either way we forgot our main goal in record time.

Unlike Valhalla, I kinda love what a trainwreck this is.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Chapter Four - Like Lambs to the Slaughter

Just a quick note, just like the first boss being a Japanese mech, this boss does actually have an explored reason as to why he looks like Ring Wraith. This is however where things start getting a bit weird....

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 9, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Oh... Well... At least they explained we're definitely hallucinating some of that.

Where the hell is this narrative even going?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anoia posted:

Oh... Well... At least they explained we're definitely hallucinating some of that.

Where the hell is this narrative even going?

The story juxtaposes your rampage (the levels and bosses) with reflective moments back in your apartment where you both learn about your relationship with Emily and what the news is reporting of what's going on. This is complicated by the fact that the news is likely heavily censored and the Artist is getting more and more bonkers.

We just didn't get to go back in awhile as we got kidnapped at the end of the second chapter.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Personal log: "Dear diary, I just killed a goth."
I'm really thinking they're all innocent at this point and it's all in the Artist's mind.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Oh. Cyberpsychosis. For those who don't know, the first time the term was really seen was in the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG, although it was used as a theme in cyberpunk media before that (EDIT: And, of course, in terms of organ transplants before that. Hands of Orlok, anybody?) Essentially, there's this idea that cybernetic prostheses induce not only body dysphoria, but reduce empathy, leading to sociopathy, hallucinations, increased violent tendencie-

- Look, it's basically a combination of othering taken to a horrific conclusion, combined with, in the CP2020 RPG and other Cyberpunk games, a justification why no, you can't have all those shiny toys at once, even if you do have the money. Of course, it isn't very well thought out, narratively, because it then deeply implies that the quadraplegic, who has had their quality of life improved by, y'know, having arms and legs again? Is that much closer to being a mass murderer than someone who just decided they wanted to give themselves neon LED skin that they can't remove without further, painful surgery. The blind, deaf, quadraplegic? Oh, god no, don't ever fix all of those, because you'll almost guarantee they're on the edge.

Done well, it can indeed ask questions about what it means to be human. But cyberpsychosis is one of those aspects of cyberpunk fiction that's, sadly, rarely done well.

Still, the aesthetic is interesting, so keepin' on watchin' ;)

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Shadowrun handwaves it with magic - every piece of technology reduces your "essence", which pulls you further from humanity because something something intrinsic energy of life.

I dunno, I think it's really cool to go from dispassionate street samurai to robocop to AzTechnology cyberzombie.

Guess Cyberpunk's answer to The Argo Question is a big fat "no"

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

Chapter Four

Picture has a mistake by the way. Should say Chapter Four, not Three.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

- Look, it's basically a combination of othering taken to a horrific conclusion, combined with, in the CP2020 RPG and other Cyberpunk games, a justification why no, you can't have all those shiny toys at once, even if you do have the money. Of course, it isn't very well thought out, narratively, because it then deeply implies that the quadraplegic, who has had their quality of life improved by, y'know, having arms and legs again? Is that much closer to being a mass murderer than someone who just decided they wanted to give themselves neon LED skin that they can't remove without further, painful surgery. The blind, deaf, quadraplegic? Oh, god no, don't ever fix all of those, because you'll almost guarantee they're on the edge.

Mechanically, your mental state is linked only to the time slowing mechanic and killing people, but not any of the other abilities of your cybernetics such as the shield or speed. I'm not sure the setting has gone for a pure augmentation=bad setting, I think it's more just a tool the character sees as necessary to accomplish their goals, ignored all the warnings about it, and decided that reality wasn't so great after all.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Picture has a mistake by the way. Should say Chapter Four, not Three.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Speaking of "what it means to be human", I keep meaning to rewatch Ghost in the Shell but drat is it ever :words: the animated series.

Back to the game, I'm trying to figure out if the fact he's wearing a suit and tie over his cyber super suit is supposed to be a joke or what.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anoia posted:

Back to the game, I'm trying to figure out if the fact he's wearing a suit and tie over his cyber super suit is supposed to be a joke or what.

I assume it's so he can be recognised by his victims, as it's what he's wearing in all his flashbacks.

e. Assuming Blues Brothers suits aren't super common I guess.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Chapter Five - Birds Winging Through the Sky

While I decided to provide commentary via subtitles rather than live as I play, I feel it would be remiss of me not to to share my initial emotions for the last level of this stage.

:stare:

:catstare:

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?
I'm glad you mentioned the drumbeat because I was bobbing along to that one, that was sick.

As for the end? I feel ROBBED. :argh:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What.

Was this secretly made by Suda51 or something? I'm getting some pretty heavy No More Heroes vibes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So killing people triggers the hallucinations, but the exploding guys don't?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

So killing people triggers the hallucinations, but the exploding guys don't?

Correct. It's to be linked to your violent actions (killing people) and using time dilation. Later on more things effect it.

anilEhilated posted:

What.

Was this secretly made by Suda51 or something? I'm getting some pretty heavy No More Heroes vibes.

I haven't seen a lot of No More Heroes, but I'm guessing it wasn't dark and depressing. That bit is just so weird though. There is some crazy poo poo that happens later, but that sticks out and nothing happens that even tries to explain what the hell that was about. I have so many questions!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zenithe posted:

I haven't seen a lot of No More Heroes, but I'm guessing it wasn't dark and depressing. That bit is just so weird though. There is some crazy poo poo that happens later, but that sticks out and nothing happens that even tries to explain what the hell that was about. I have so many questions!
It's a weird game. Follows the same hitlist format and in one case the boss is killed by someone else in a cutscene right in front of your eyes which this bit rather reminded me of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

It's a weird game. Follows the same hitlist format and in one case the boss is killed by someone else in a cutscene right in front of your eyes which this bit rather reminded me of.

I was mostly reminded of the Monty Python foot gag.

• Locked thread