Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Our story begins on the night of the 22nd of August in 2008. Really, the story begins in December of 1984, but we'll skip ahead a bit.

It's Friday night, and I'm making the 4+ hour drive back home from my company's hq. My friend calls me and tells me he's having a party at his new house. We've spent the last month cleaning and renovating the place after he bought this foreclosure from like three mexican families.

Awesome, I say, because I am like 24, and what the gently caress else am I going to say? His girlfriend is making lasagna, and they have bottles of Everclear and Jager, among other things.

My company truck is a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500, and it's governed at 105, so I drive pretty much the entire way from north east PA to northern VA at 90-100 (oddly enough, my personal 2006 Silverado 2500 has a bigger engine, but is governed at 95). The whole time my friend is calling and texting me to see if I'm coming and when I'll be there. loving chill, dude, it's like a 250 mile drive. Also, I live there?

By the time I get to the house, everyone is tore up from the floor up. There are 20-30 people in the house, the lasagna is long gone, and the liquor has been flowing for hours. I go hard with pineapple fanta and Everclear and some shots of jager and whatever else is passed my way.

At one point, our other roommate brings me a glock 19, saying "hey man, I don't think [other roommate] should have this right now". Now, I had gotten out of the military like a year and a half earlier, and the friend in question was still in the reserves. The other roommate, however, was a VW guy who kinda rubbed me the wrong way whenever I interacted with him, and just generally seemed like a pussy. I took the glock, popped out the magazine, cleared the chamber, popped the magazine back in, and handed it back to my friend while saying "[friend] is a big boy, he can handle his gun."

Cut to a couple of hours later. We're winging koosh balls at each other from opposite ends of the hallway, and [friend] and his girlfriend go into my bedroom. I'm pretty oblivious to this, because I am thoroughly intoxicated, but they were apparently arguing. Why they were doing it in my bedroom I have no idea, but I'm glad I hadn't moved all of my stuff in yet.

A few minutes later a gunshot is heard, and his girlfriend comes crawling out of the room screaming. The other roommate and I rush in to find my friend slumped on the floor with a little chunk of brain sticking out of the side of his skull. This isn't my first rodeo, so I get to work checking his pulse and calling 911. He's dead as a doornail, and leaking plasma all over the new carpet that was just put in like two weeks ago. Meanwhile, the other roommate is cowering in the corner of the room having a total mental breakdown about how this can't be real man he was just alive gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. All I can think is "poo poo, not again" and "well, at least he died better than [other friend who killed himself a few years earlier, but lived with half a skull for like 15 minutes]."

I get everyone out of the house to wait for the cops and whatnot to show up. They come and question everyone, and everyone is completely shocked. There were no warning signs- he had a good job, had just bought and remodeled this house, and seemed like he had a good relationship. I give my statement while going to town on fanta and everclear, and they let me drive off. I ended up taking the next week off of work- my boss insisted. I pretty much spent the entire time hammered, and didn't really stop drinking like that for a few years.

While I hadn't forgotten the events of this night, I had put them out of my mind. I had entirely forgotten the date until earlier today when one of my friends said he had a dream about [dead friend] hanging out with him at a bar, except the bartender couldn't see anyone else with him, and asked him why he was talking to himself. He laid that out at happy hour, which made it a considerably less happy hour. I occasionally have dreams featuring said dead friends, but it's usually in more of a "oh hey man, I haven't seen you in a while, here's what's going on" capacity.

So, to tie this into the new "no suicide requests" rule- don't kill yourself, GBS. Looking into a dead friend's eyes is one of the worst things you can experience. I was going to go another direction with this whole thing, but I'm just too bummed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

drat dude that sucks

sorry about your buddy

did you ever see a professional about it? it seems like you are repressing some feelings that would be better suited to a professional.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

subject's kinda heavy for a place that is trying to definitively crown the best phrase for masturbation in another thread.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmmm... so what you're saying is people who know you seem to prefer suicide?

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax
drat son im sorry to hear about that. my friend drove his car into a transport ten years ago and he was really the only real friend ive ever had irl and so i also know how suicide can effect people

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i also have dreams about the ops dead friends. but they're sex dreams

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
What is this from its driving me nuts. I know you didn't finish s key part rma.usa@zalmanusa.com.right ?

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

hth posted:

drat dude that sucks

sorry about your buddy

did you ever see a professional about it? it seems like you are repressing some feelings that would be better suited to a professional.

Yeah, I gave up on professionals after the first friend's suicide, and my ex-wife's abortion, and like a bunch of other poo poo. I spent a decade (okay, like 9 years) drinking myself to death, but I've come to terms with it all now.

There's really no well adjusted way to talk about a friend's death.

hth posted:

subject's kinda heavy for a place that is trying to definitively crown the best phrase for masturbation in another thread.

I didn't mean for it to be quite so heavy, but it just ended up that way, so here we are

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BLARGHLE posted:

all over the new carpet that was just put in like two weeks ago.

rude.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

we need to repeal the 2nd ammendment

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

we need to repeal the 2nd ammendment

We need to repeal your rear end

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

:captainpop:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
wrong kid died

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Seriously rude. That carpet wasn't cheap, but I guess if anyone was going to ruin it it should be him

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Fat Shat Sings posted:

wrong kid died

Everybody dies sometime

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
What is this from guys

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I didn't read the OP but it's the 24th of August and we all have a chance to be better than we were yesterday.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
When the terror that he had headed in the French Revolution finally turned on him, Maximilien Robespierre tried to avoid arrest and public execution by shooting himself in the head.

But it only blew off half his jaw, and his pursuers found him still alive, tied a hanky around his face to keep his jaw on, and tossed him in a dungeon for the night.

The next day he was carted out in public to be guillotined. To fit Robespierre's neck correctly in the slot the executioner ripped the hanky off his jaw, causing half his jaw to flap free and Robespierre to scream in hideous pain until his head came off.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

What is this from guys

It's not from anything. My friend shot himself because he was convinced that his girlfriend was cheating on him, which, speaking as a man who has been cheated on, doesn't seem like a reason to die, but whatever.

My other friend shot himself because the girl of his dreams married some douchebag marine, who was actually a pretty nice guy, and the girl was pretty lovely...basically, my other friend just had poor decision making skills. His dad had been killed in the line of duty a number of years earlier, so he had some underlying issues.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
Basically, the point of this whole thread is "don't kill yourselves, idiots"

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

no worries op
hes in hell now

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

dont kill yourself cuz u go to hell!!! dumb dumbs!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Turdfuzz posted:

no worries op
hes in hell now

He was jewish, so I don't think they have hell?

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

BLARGHLE posted:

He was jewish, so I don't think they have hell?

life is hell for the jewish ppl if jewish comedy has taught me anything

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

still shouldnt kill yourself even if life is hell
should instead become a successful comedic writer imo

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Turdfuzz posted:

life is hell for the jewish ppl if jewish comedy has taught me anything

His mom was (and as far as I know still is) a massive bitch, so this could be true

He ate pork and worked out constantly, though, so not very jewish there

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
:same:

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

such a deep n serious topic while a poo poo load of dogs run in the background
thats comedy right there i tell u what

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Turdfuzz posted:

such a deep n serious topic while a poo poo load of dogs run in the background
thats comedy right there i tell u what

This dog mess is loving me up

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

BLARGHLE posted:

There's really no well adjusted way to talk about a friend's death

I hate this, it gets to the point where you're almost not even supposed to talk about that friend. One of my best friends I've ever had made himself a decision with a kimber one gross day five years ago and now it's apparently weird in a lot of people's eyes to acknowledge that he was ever a person. Like I'll be talking about a funny thing he did or whatever and someone will be like "wow what's he do these days" and then if I say "not much" it's almost like I was rude for bringing up a dead guy. Then it's gotta be this whole "oh I'm so sorry thing" when it's basically a sad detail tangentially related to a funny story about the time dude drank a bottle of rum and got "gently caress Tibet" tattooed on his arm. I still love that guy and I'm still gonna tell his stories, gently caress everybody else for making that weird. Just tell another story about a stick and poke, it's why I brought it up and it's a lot more fun to talk about.

Here's a good one: he had a bunch of feral cats on his property one year during a bad winter and the momma cat died. He also had an air gun and a bipod and pretty good scope left over from another project, so he put all that together and fixed his starving feral problem. That is to say, he'd lay there reading until he saw a bird in a tree, then he would wing the bird so that the kitties could figure out how to kill and eat it on their own. Several lived through the cold season. Weird guy, you would've liked him.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Cowboy Pope posted:

I hate this, it gets to the point where you're almost not even supposed to talk about that friend. One of my best friends I've ever had made himself a decision with a kimber one gross day five years ago and now it's apparently weird in a lot of people's eyes to acknowledge that he was ever a person. Like I'll be talking about a funny thing he did or whatever and someone will be like "wow what's he do these days" and then if I say "not much" it's almost like I was rude for bringing up a dead guy. Then it's gotta be this whole "oh I'm so sorry thing" when it's basically a sad detail tangentially related to a funny story about the time dude drank a bottle of rum and got "gently caress Tibet" tattooed on his arm. I still love that guy and I'm still gonna tell his stories, gently caress everybody else for making that weird. Just tell another story about a stick and poke, it's why I brought it up and it's a lot more fun to talk about.
Just do it, it will never become not weird if no one does it. I just do it. Don't even hedge around it and say "not much," just say "he's dead." People might think you're "that guy," but I don't think you'd be posting here if you were shy about being a little bit socially unacceptable to cut through bullshit.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Cowboy Pope posted:

Here's a good one: he had a bunch of feral cats on his property one year during a bad winter and the momma cat died. He also had an air gun and a bipod and pretty good scope left over from another project, so he put all that together and fixed his starving feral problem. That is to say, he'd lay there reading until he saw a bird in a tree, then he would wing the bird so that the kitties could figure out how to kill and eat it on their own. Several lived through the cold season. Weird guy, you would've liked him.

Agreed, you can't treat the dead like they never existed, because that ignores whatever impact they might have had on the world around them. At the same time, I hate how people treat the dead like saints. I have witnessed the failures of dead men first hand, and I know drat well that they had flaws, but I'm the bad guy when I criticize them. gently caress, maybe if somebody had said the things I'm saying now they wouldn't be dead now. gently caress, maybe they would. One friend had a three year long suicide note on his computer, complete with periodic revisions to update for current events. He also had a shitload of pictures of his various girlfriends in various states of undress, which was why his mother gave us his computer to clean up.

And good on your friend for doing something to help those kittens.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

That's exactly what I do, "not much" was kind of comical understatement. Sometimes I'll go "not much, he's dead" but apparently that's a little gallows. I'm gonna tell those stories for a long time, they're really good. If somebody wants to get squeamish about that, we're probably coming from pretty different backgrounds and worldviews anyway, gently caress em.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Speaking of backgrounds, I just can't stay down with all these happy dogs marching their way to victory :)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I guess he'll never be the head of a major catchphrase

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
why give a mentally disturbed person a loaded pistol it's not like they are going to remember it

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

BLARGHLE posted:

Everybody dies sometime

But not every man really lives.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Cowboy Pope posted:

That's exactly what I do, "not much" was kind of comical understatement. Sometimes I'll go "not much, he's dead" but apparently that's a little gallows. I'm gonna tell those stories for a long time, they're really good. If somebody wants to get squeamish about that, we're probably coming from pretty different backgrounds and worldviews anyway, gently caress em.

I live in an oddly small area of one of the most densely populated metro areas in the world, so I have never once had to tell a random acquaintance what [friend] and [other friend] are up to. Anyone who would ever care already knows, and also I was investigated for the murder of [other friend] for a while, because his cop parents couldn't believe that their obviously troubled angel would ever off himself. Hell, I was pretty surprised too, so much so that I grabbed a shotgun to go put him down when I heard shots and screams coming from my friend's laundry room one night. I was pretty sure [other friend] had shot the girl of his dreams, because he was a bit unhinged. I got crucified for saying as much after the fact, and I lost a lot of questionable friends.

That haunted me for a while, but I stand by my decision, and I absolutely would have shot him if he had shot [dream girl] instead of himself.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Fat Shat Sings posted:

why give a mentally disturbed person a loaded pistol it's not like they are going to remember it

That was clearly the wrong thing to do, but I was quite drunk, and we didn't know he was mentally disturbed at the time.

I wrestled with that for a long time, because there were so many things in the months and days before the actual event that could have maybe changed the whole outcome, but it became clear later that he had planned to kill himself for a long time. His multi-year suicide note was pretty loving compelling, even if it was fundamentally misguided.

I am not without fault in his death, because I did literally load and hand him the weapon that he later used to kill himself, but there was no prior indication that he would use it on himself. Hell, we had another friend kill himself a few years earlier, so it's not like he hadn't seen what happens when someone commits suicide

He knew exactly what he was getting into, and spent years thinking about and planning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBOKE63hzbo

I'm apparently going to keep replying to my own thread to keep it relevant. It might do some goons good to see this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfOL8VfC7kk

• Locked thread