Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
After being scared by the zombies and quitting when I was little, I'm now playing Thief as a grown up and it's badass. On level 3 now playing on Hard difficulty (I like the extra objectives in Expert, but I wanna break out the sword some times ;)). Love the level design... I recently completed Deus Ex 1 and I'm appreciating the number of approaches you can take to objectives in these games. Also refreshing to have nothing but a crude map of the area so you gotta work to know where you're at. Highly recommend grabbing a copy of this one on Steam if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

thief owns, as does thief 2

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

blackjack guards daily

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Honestly happy for you, mate.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thief good, thief great.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Trabandiumium posted:

thief owns, as does thief 2
2 is great but the levels get very huge and confusing. It's like a fan mod of the first game.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I love Garret's lines in that game, also the dialogue between guards, like the bear pit conversation

Awesome game all around

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i absolutely could not deal with the zombies as a kid. they wouldn't go down to the blackjack and they'd get back up if you hit them with the sword and they made spooky noises and it Wasn't Fair!!!

i couldn't get anywhere in system shock 2 for the same reason. respawning zombies :(

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

i absolutely could not deal with the zombies as a kid. they wouldn't go down to the blackjack and they'd get back up if you hit them with the sword and they made spooky noises and it Wasn't Fair!!!

i couldn't get anywhere in system shock 2 for the same reason. respawning zombies :(

The dead Hammerites you encounter later are much worse.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Felt this way about the imp dudes in Hexen. I would just punch a stained glass window and hide in there punching all the ones that came at me until I built up the courage to move on.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Congrats dude. You have a lot of great gaming in front of you with Thief, Thief 2 and some incredibly good fan content like T2X and Ominous Bequest.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Yah. I wish holy water was for arrows instead of time-limited cause you gotta lead them all through tiny corridors to use it efficiently.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Congrats dude. You have a lot of great gaming in front of you with Thief, Thief 2 and some incredibly good fan content like T2X and Ominous Bequest.

I'm excited to check out T2 caue i never touched it. Also it's making me want to finally play Dishonored.

Also it's freaking insane that some guys developed an entire Thief mission toolkit on Doom 3 engine. Might have to check that out.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the zombies in thief 1 are some fail rear end cucks imho

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

if your playing gold edition theres no shame in cheating to skip the thieves guild op. its very confusing and the only way to win on hard involves stealing almost every piece of gold on the level includong hidden treasures

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

it wasnt even in the original game :mad:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

trying to jack off posted:

if your playing gold edition theres no shame in cheating to skip the thieves guild op. its very confusing and the only way to win on hard involves stealing almost every piece of gold on the level includong hidden treasures
yeah that's a really bad level. Mage Towers wasn't very good either but at least it did some cool stuff

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah that's a really bad level. Mage Towers wasn't very good either but at least it did some cool stuff

gold edition pretty much hosed up an almost perfect game lol

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

it wasnt even in the original game :mad:

I've only ever played Gold. Interesting.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Stoned

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

gold edition pretty much hosed up an almost perfect game lol

It did but it added some really cool stuff too like in The Sword

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the sword is badass

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

i might play the older ones. I really liked Thief: Deadly Shadows

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember trying this out forever ago after I played deus ex for the first time and I couldn't figure out how to pick the lock in the tutorial and I quit and never played it again.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

I remember trying this out forever ago after I played deus ex for the first time and I couldn't figure out how to pick the lock in the tutorial and I quit and never played it again.

youre going to feel retarded as hell when you play it again

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stoned playing Thief

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
i'm goin' down to the bear pits tomorrow
wanna come with

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Hmm i think ill still try it. just got to that one and will tackle it tomorrow.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Squeezy Farm posted:

Hmm i think ill still try it. just got to that one and will tackle it tomorrow.

yeah its worth trying still, you'll probably just end up hitting a point that breaks your spirit and makes you want to quit and it fine to cheat to skip the level at that point. since its from thief gold its not even related to the story so its not like youre missing anything.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

its like the worst level i can think of out of the entire thief trilogy and its front loaded in the first game lmfao

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the opera house level was really good too

also forget the box art and cutscenes, what garrett really looks like is this:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

early games are great but if you have the urge to play thief 4 make sure you don't pay more than 5 bucks for it

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Benny D posted:

early games are great but if you have the urge to play thief 4 make sure you don't pay more than 5 bucks for it

i would never .

bonehoard was a sick level. had trouble finding the jewel tho.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Squeezy Farm posted:

I'm excited to check out T2 caue i never touched it. Also it's making me want to finally play Dishonored.

Dishonored definitely scratches that itch, but you get much more powerful in dishonored, especially after the early game. Which isn't necessarily good or bad; it just emphasized the "master assassin" feeling more than the "undetectable infiltrator" feeling of Thief

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

its like the worst level i can think of out of the entire thief trilogy and its front loaded in the first game lmfao

this is the level where I lost interest. I'll get back to it after I beat dq heroes

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought thief 4 was fun when I was stealing stuff but the boss battles at the end were really really bad.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
thief 1, 2, and 3 steam codes are $2 on amazon. jump in gamers :cheers:

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Enix-...=thief+download

https://www.amazon.com/Thief-II-Met...=thief+download

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Enix-...=thief+download

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

freaking awesome thanks for heads up

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013
here's a video of some guys from otherside entertainment playing and discussing thief: https://www.twitch.tv/otherside_entertainment/v/30471476

it's a new company founded by paul neurath, the founder and creative director of the company that developed the system shock series, ultima underworld series, and thief series. they have a bunch of veteran developers who worked on those and also warren spector, the designer of deus ex. currently they're working on a modern crowdfunded ultima underworld game.

they have similar videos of other games like dishonored and dark messiah of might and magic on youtube and twitch. very interesting discussions and i wish other developers would do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

A new UU?

It's pulsing now. Watch me go to half-mast.

• Locked thread