Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So one regret I have about this whole thing is that I didn't vote for Angel Pagan. But if I could vote for 11 dudes, I would've. I just really liked my list of 10, and I haven't even physically watched Pagan play this year. But I'm guessing he won't show up here. So you can read about him here instead.

Why do I like him? To be honest, he just seems like the nicest dude. He plays hard, and generally seems like a great teammate. In the WBC, he played for Puerto Rico, and when not playing, was their top cheerleader.

Read about Angel helping out at the family bait shop, plus he was down with the Giants signing Denard Span: http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_29753028/giants-outfielder-angel-pagan-is-new-man

Angel salutes because of his dad, and because his teammates like him: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2012/10/25/giants-salute-angel-pagan-unofficial-captain/1659357/

His mom joined a men's fast pitch softball team so that she could learn how to coach him as a kid: http://m.giants.mlb.com/news/article/30738856//

Angel usually serves as interpreter for the guys who aren't good at English, plus, he's good with the press, too: http://onlineathens.com/sports/2012-07-02/pagan-takes-pride-helping-teammates-communicate

Thanks for reading my homer post about good guy Angel Pagan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The last time I went to a game, it was Mets vs. Giants, and my seat was behind Angel Pagan, and I stared at his rear end basically the whole time he was in the game. The game itself sucked otherwise.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pagan was close to making my hate list but it was Giants heavy already so he didn't make the cut.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

YeahTubaMike posted:

Right there with you. I always thought he looked more like the rear end in a top hat leader of a rival summer camp in a kid/teen movie myself.

Hi I voted for Hosmer and it's half this and half being a bitter Jays fan. I hate his stupid face!!!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

bawfuls posted:

Pagan was close to making my hate list but it was Giants heavy already so he didn't make the cut.

I still think of Pagan as a Met sometimes. Whatever team a player was with when I first noticed them is the team they're always on, in my head.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I still think of Pagan as a Met sometimes. Whatever team a player was with when I first noticed them is the team they're always on, in my head.

I still think of him as a pretty lovely Cubs outfielder before that.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Hello yes can I move Justin Smoak up like, 5 spots on my most hated list because
https://twitter.com/SNstats/status/773322446690746368

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel bad I forgot to include Joey Votto in my most loved list. :(

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Joey Votto made it 4th on my list. Everything about him is awesome except that he plays for the Reds.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Don't worry, I got you guys. Votto is #1 on my most loved list.

I also voted Hosmer #7 most hated, based almost solely on his dumb looking face / facial hair.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ATTN YeahTubaMike: Can you keep a running tally of rankings in the OP?

You the woman.

Red fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 7, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Red posted:

ATTN YeahTubaMike: Can you keep a running tally of rankings in the OP?

You the man.

I'm a woman, but no worries -- I gotcha. :)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
First off, I want to say that #22 is a really weird spot in both lists, and you'll see why. Secondly, I want to assure you that there will be much fewer and less gargantuan ties from here on out. Similarly to the previous poll, people agreed much more higher up in the lists. Anyway...

Most Hated #22 (2-way tie), 13 pts: Noah Syndergaard, Hunter Pence

Noah Syndergaard
Team: New York Mets
Debut: May 12, 2015

#1 votes: 0
#2 votes: 0
#3 votes: 1

What's to hate? He threw at Chase Utley's head in retaliation for Utley breaking Tejada's leg in a previous game. He also has a prominent social media presence, where he is occasionally very late with memes. I don't know, I'm grasping at straws here.

Hunter Pence
Team: San Francisco Giants
Debut: April 28, 2007

What's to hate? His personality is Xbox-huge, and it's bound not to be appreciated by everyone. His jittery, cracked-out batting stance is annoying too.

Current Rankings

Most Hated posted:

25. Joe Panik, Jered Weaver, Alejandro De Aza, Dansby Swanson, Matt Harvey
24. Josh Donaldson, Clay Buchholz
23. Jung-ho Kang, Eric Hosmer, Jeff Francoeur
22. Noah Syndergaard, Hunter Pence

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 7, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Loved #22 (2-way tie), 17 pts: Chase Utley, Dae-ho Lee

Chase Utley
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
Debut: April 4, 2003

#1 votes: 1
#3 votes: 0

What's to love? If you're a woman living in Philadelphia between 2005 and 2010, everything. If you're not, I'm not so sure. When he's not breaking rules (or people's legs), he's a good enough player, but I suspect he's built up a lot of good will from his tenure as a Phillie, and with good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnPBTozqdvY

Dae-ho Lee
Team: Seattle Mariners
Debut: April 4, 2016 (KBO debut: April 11, 2001 -- NLB debut: March 30, 2012)

#2 votes: 1

What's to love? He rakes. In 2008, he helped South Korea win the gold medal in baseball. In 2010, he set a world record by hitting home runs in nine consecutive games. He won the NPB HR Derby in 2012, and helped South Korea win the WBSC Premier 12 in 2015. After FINALLY getting noticed by an MLB team earlier this year, he has continued to do what he does best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5He1TIWbpM

Current Rankings

Most Loved posted:

25. Darwin Barney
24. Miguel Cabrera, Munenori Kawasaki, Corey Seager, Kyle Schwarber, Gary Sanchez
23. Troy Tulowitzki, David Ross
22. Chase Utley, Dae-ho Lee

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 7, 2016

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

How can anyone hate Hunter Pence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6hCMKA9GBU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm a woman, but no worries -- I gotcha. :)

Oh, poop. You do have Mike in your name. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Red posted:

Oh, poop. You do have Mike in your name. :smith:

My name's not really Mike. I lied on the internet.

Also, I changed the way the rankings are displayed so that the rankings aren't spoiled for people just arriving to the thread. :)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

It is physically impossible to hate Hunter Pence. I'm guessing the voters are Dodgers fans and/or fun-haters.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

It is physically impossible to hate Hunter Pence. I'm guessing the voters are Dodgers fans and/or fun-haters.

You should know by now it's Bawfuls.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah Pence was number 2 or 3 on my hate list. I hate him for being a loving weirdo who has no business being so good at baseball, yet somehow he is. If he was on my team this would make him lovable but on the Giants it makes him extremely hateable.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

You should know by now it's Bawfuls.

I should know, especially since I have the poll results at my disposal, but :effort:

bawfuls posted:

Yeah Pence was number 2 or 3 on my hate list. I hate him for being a loving weirdo who has no business being so good at baseball, yet somehow he is. If he was on my team this would make him lovable but on the Giants it makes him extremely hateable.

Understandable. If there was someone on the Braves with a personality like Pence's, I'd probably hate him too.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
David Ross was #4 on my list, with reason given "Once choked Sean Rodriguez"

for all his merits, that's the only one I need

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

David Ross was #4 on my list, with reason given "Once choked Sean Rodriguez"

for all his merits, that's the only one I need

I had no idea that the Gatorade cooler incident and the incident where Ross choked him were in the same game. :lol:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I drat hated hunter pence when he pretty much killed the royals by himself but he still seems like a pretty awesome dude

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I didn't even submit a hated list, only a liked list. Is that bad?!?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Yes. :mad:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Being a h8ter takes too much energy, Mike!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
People like Chase Utley more than Kawasaki and Miggy? :gonk:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Rand alPaul posted:

There's still a chance people hate him more than they like him. He was definitely on my hated list, albeit lower than the real scumbags.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

There are too many cool and also terrible doods in baseball. I didn't put in due diligence when constructing either list.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

Some of us do, yes.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I am incredibly happy to see Dae-Ho Lee show up on the loved list.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Armitage posted:

I voted him #4. Like YeahTubaMike said, he just won't go away! He also likes to get the big hits against the Mets which doesn't help.

He likes to have a relevant season every 4 or 5 seasons just to keep a very nice roof over his family's head for another half decade.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Shiroc posted:

I am incredibly happy to see Dae-Ho Lee show up on the loved list.

I had actually never heard of him before the poll, but he seems like a really cool dude.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Hated #21, 16 pts: Matt Holliday
Team: St. Louis Cardinals
Debut: April 16, 2004

What’s to hate? I’m going to level with you here. When I can’t figure out why someone is hated, I Google their name, plus words like “fight”, “ejected”, “hated”, and the like. When I did this with Matt Holliday, what I found was a couple of argued strikes, TOOTBLANs, and other people trying to figure out why Matt Holliday was so hated. Help me out here, goons.

Current Rankings

Most Hated posted:

25. Joe Panik, Jered Weaver, Alejandro De Aza, Dansby Swanson, Matt Harvey
24. Josh Donaldson, Clay Buchholz
23. Jung-ho Kang, Eric Hosmer, Jeff Francoeur
22. Noah Syndergaard, Hunter Pence
21. Matt Holliday

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

YeahTubaMike posted:

What’s to hate? I’m going to level with you here. When I can’t figure out why someone is hated, I Google their name, plus words like “fight”, “ejected”, “hated”, and the like. When I did this with Matt Holliday, what I found was a couple of argued strikes, TOOTBLANs, and other people trying to figure out why Matt Holliday was so hated. Help me out here, goons.

Current Rankings

Takeout slide, 2012 NLCS.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
It's overlap time!

Most Loved #21 (2-way tie), 18 pts: Kyle Hendricks, Noah Syndergaard

Kyle Hendricks
Team: Chicago Cubs
Debut: July 10, 2014

#2 votes: 2

What’s to love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C3y0RgqKo8

Kyle Hendricks is a really really super good pitcher. Also, he always vaguely looks like he’s about to cry, and it makes me want to hug him. And of course, no Kyle Hendricks post would be complete without the following:

Noah Syndergaard
Team: New York Mets
Debut: May 12, 2015

#1 votes: 1

What’s to love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqAu0nbVhAs

He’s a fantastic pitcher, he can throw 100 mph, and he started the only 2015 World Series game that the Mets won. He also comes across as an extremely funny, laid-back, and personable guy in his interviews and many, many Instagram posts.

Current Rankings (for here on out, I'll bold players' names as they overlap between rankings)

Most Loved posted:

25. Darwin Barney
24. Miguel Cabrera, Munenori Kawasaki, Corey Seager, Kyle Schwarber, Gary Sanchez
23. Troy Tulowitzki, David Ross
22. Chase Utley, Dae-ho Lee
21. Kyle Hendricks, Noah Syndergaard

Red
Apr 15, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

I didn't vote for him, but St. Louis.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

YeahTubaMike posted:

Pancakes posted:

Takeout slide, 2012 NLCS every goddamn chance.

I'm that number 2 vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Explosionface posted:

I'm that number 2 vote.

I'm pro-Cardinals biased and I still winced whenever I saw him do a takeout slide. Thankfully he never ruined anyone's season that I'm aware of but he's just such a big guy. It always looked so dangerous.

• Locked thread