Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You're going to try to steal the crown jewels or something, aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
If the queue isn't terribly long already, I shall sign up for possible futures fights as Nordus Iccus, a savage barbarian from the far northern woodlands. I'm great at wrestling bears, honest!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CptWedgie posted:

On the bright side, though, at least nobody's dead yet. (Fate status: Tempted...)

Nope, Drakenel died in that fight. :smith:

Sign me up as Dominus Expurgandum, or Lordicus Booticus if that's too many characters.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Nope, Drakenel died in that fight. :smith:

Sign me up as Dominus Expurgandum, or Lordicus Booticus if that's too many characters.

Look closer at the "you lose" screen. It says the crowd wanted him to live, so Drak's still alive (for now). Remember, losing does not NECESSARILY mean death... though you really shouldn't count on your gladiators surviving to learn from their mistakes, lest the crowd grow tired of their inept flailing and call for their deaths.

Granted, that 0-1 record kind of bothers me, but it can't be helped in this kind of game, I'd assume.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nordick posted:

If the queue isn't terribly long already, I shall sign up for possible futures fights as Nordus Iccus, a savage barbarian from the far northern woodlands. I'm great at wrestling bears, honest!

I really want to see a gladiator have to fight your avatar.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Right, so I've spent well over two weeks farting about and seeing if this is actually a position we can recover from, and it isn't. We can kill the gladiators, but that only gives us enough money to subsist until the scouts can hire new people, but not enough to actually hire them. We can get a loan, but the loan isn't actually enough to tide us over until next month's fights. It's this that has made me decide that actually, this is a bad game and you should not buy it. I looked at it and played for a few hours and saw what could've been Football Manager MMXVII, it's actually just a small set of variables and a random number generator. At least it didn't repeatedly crash on me like Chapter Master did.

There are no methods of screwing with opponents outside of matches, there are no actions you can take with gladiators other than fight people and beasts or kill them, there's no direction on strategy or tactics, portraits are pre-made and don't ever change, I've got a laundry list of new issues. It's a cheap game, I got my money's worth, but I would never recommend it.

Oh, and you know that event that I could've taken part in? The criminal one? I've started 6 games and it came up not only on the same day each time, but if I put two gladiators on it it always succeeded. I'm not saying it's pre-baked to succeed, but it's probably pre-baked to succeed and there's no way to reliably get an event like that to show up other than on the set day it comes up.

However, this isn't the last of this thread. I think it's time for something a little different, fun and interesting.

Exanima is a gladiatorial combat game made by Bare Mettle Entertainment as the teaser portion of their upcoming RPG, Sui Generis, which won a successful kickstarter campaign in 2012 and expected to finish the game by 2014. They still haven't finished Exanima, but they've been pushing it in a slightly different direction from their original goal. However, what it is now is definitely fantastic.

It features an arena mode, which is fully physics based combat, where every property of the weapon and its wielder matters. The player's control is limited solely to where they position their mouse, movement and the timing and style of attacks. Everything else is decided by the physics engine. It's like a slower, more considerate Overgrowth.

The arena mode features a few types of matches at present, including Pugilism (boxing), Duels, Challenger matches against higher ranked opponents, Doubles (2v2), Skirmish (3v3), Fray (Free for all) and a single elimination tournament. It's also recently added The Beast, which is some form of ogre that is truly giant and terrifying.

All signups from Age of Gladiators will transfer to this. Your gladiators won't be trapped in that lovely game, just in this Early Access game.

An introduction to Exanima.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, I remember you streaming this game during your short lived XCom LP.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

my dad posted:

Oh, I remember you streaming game this during your short lived XCom LP.

Yup, it's certainly come a long long way since then. Kinda wish I hadn't dropped the XCom LP but it didn't really shake up the game as much as I thought it would, which was what I really wanted out of that LP as I'm far too familiar with that game.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ooh, that combat system looks really cool. Gonna chuck that game into my Steam wishlist and keep my eye on it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I like the "Incompetent Herpicle" around the 4:10 mark :allears:

This seems fun if they ever manage to make a full game. Is there going to be a campaign or is it only gladiatorial combat?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I like the "Incompetent Herpicle" around the 4:10 mark :allears:

This seems fun if they ever manage to make a full game. Is there going to be a campaign or is it only gladiatorial combat?

Exanima does have a dungeon crawler aspect, I've never beaten it as it's quite difficult but I will have a go at it later on. It's full plan is to become a fully fledged RPG by the name of Sui Generis. Arena combat is only in because people loved the combat so much they practically begged the devs to have this, along with the devs wanting to test the combat system and fine tune it to perfection before releasing the big RPG.

Welcome to the Arena, we have fun and games (and jets apparently). With Drakenel and Wombatticus in the game now, we can finally start putting other signups in.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

You should probably update the top of the OP explaining what is happening in this thread, I was very confused going through this strange gladiator management sim.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 16, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Done, just swapped the two around, which should work as a good solution to preserve the awful Age of Gladiators while still giving Exanima the spotlight.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CongoJack and Tonberry are added to the roster in this episode.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Get hype! This is the only true hardcore dungeon pit fighting promotion in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Get hype! This is the only true hardcore dungeon pit fighting promotion in town.

Adobe Premier The Man tried its best to put us down, but everyone's favourite Brain Surgery and Chiropractic simulator is back up and running.

• Locked thread