Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Decebal posted:

Yeah but what if life needed a milder environment to start and only then it can evolve into extromophiles and conquer inhospitable places ?

Yep, maybe (probably) there's nothing there. But it's far from impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I hope I don't die before we meet some aliens. Or we blow ourselves up.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
i hope you get hit by a train, OP

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BigGsVFcNpQ

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Decebal posted:

Yeah but what if life needed a milder environment to start and only then it can evolve into extromophiles and conquer inhospitable places ?

Last time I took a college level microbiology course, the trending idea was that life probably started as really extreme stuff.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Bacteria can and has survived in zero atmosphere space conditions.

In 2010 they scooped up some bacteria from an English cliffside and lashed it to the exterior of the iss for over a year. It survived just hunky dory.

Bacteria is currently thriving deep within oceanic vents, deeper than we can reliably observe. Also high up in the atmosphere (6-25 miles up) there's bacteria just floating about in below freezing, high-uv, low oxygen environments.

My point is that living organisms are assuredly propagating elsewhere in the universe, but like the majority of life on earth it's tiny little specks that are hard to personify

Edit: that doesn't mean we can't insult them over the radio.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

i agree that it's unlikely, but europa's nearby enough that we may as well look

If we can look with remote instruments, i agree. I don't think we should send a probe under the ice, if we can drill thru it anyway. If there's life, who knows what delicate state it would be in. Early life on Earth was just blankets of bacteria. shitloads of bacteria. so much bacteria some of it has fossilized and it just looks like funny looking rocks. if a probe crashes into something like that who knows what kind of die-off would be triggered. I hate the idea of disturbing an ecosystem too.

but it's hard to reconcile that with the fact we're likely to find nothing, so why be that cautious? I dunno.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a fun fact that Europa missions have much stricter sterilization requirements than missions to other places, because we don't want to finally arrive there looking for life only to see that oh, it's just a bunch of earth bacteria that hitched a ride on an earlier mission.

Woden
May 6, 2006

hemophilia posted:

you need a biosphere that won't shred amino acids and shred simple lifeforms with horrible radiation, cook them with heat, or destroy them with weird chemical reactions, and I dunno tidally locked planets don't seem to fit that bill.

They don't know if it's tidally locked and are just assuming it is. With certain systems 3:2 resonance(Mercury) or maybe something like 5:2 resonance is more energetically favourable, if that's the case here this planet would have a ~100-180 hour day.

This planet is 1.3x Earth mass so could have an atmo like Venus and Earth do, is zooming around a low powered poo poo star so rads may not be a problem if it's stable and doesn't randomly blast poo poo out. It's also apparently 30c on the hot side and -30c on the night side, no idea how they're know that though probably just making poo poo up again.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Decebal posted:

You think Europa has small chances then, considering Jupiter's tremendous radiation belt ?

liquid water absorbs radiation p. good

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Jabor posted:

It's a fun fact that Europa missions have much stricter sterilization requirements than missions to other places, because we don't want to finally arrive there looking for life only to see that oh, it's just a bunch of earth bacteria that hitched a ride on an earlier mission.

I think they're exaggerating a bit when it comes to Europa and contamination. Jupiter's radiation will sterilize anything we send over there pretty quick I think. If anything survives I assume the probe would be able to do some kind of genome test and it will be easy to distinguish between Earth life and something else.

Plus the chance of contamination is a minuscule issue when you compare it to the fact that I might die without ever seeing a picture of what's beneath that ice ! All these missions to Mars and even Pluto but nothing to Europa even though they just sent a probe to Jupiter to survey it's north pole (WOW super exciting stuff you dumb scientists).

I want my tax dollars to be used for entertaining science too, nut just the other kind.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Declare your ideological affiliations here. Base game factions only. Expansion factions will be ignored.

+1 Human Hive.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
+1 Gaia

Harmony with the Planet is paramount!

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
If you're thinking about watching the movie Europa, don't. I have only a layman's fascination with space and even I recognized how goddamn stupid those astronauts were.

Watch Sunshine instead

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Free Drones

gently caress you SMAX was a perfectly good expansion

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
this is cool and awesome

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
+1 Mystic

Woden
May 6, 2006

Toadvine posted:

If you're thinking about watching the movie Europa, don't. I have only a layman's fascination with space and even I recognized how goddamn stupid those astronauts were.

Watch Sunshine instead

Is Sunshine the one where they get 6 people to save the Earth but don't bother screening to see if any are insane sun worshippers?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Woden posted:

Is Sunshine the one where they get 6 people to save the Earth but don't bother screening to see if any are insane sun worshippers?

The sun drove him insane, pay attention

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sunshine is dope af

Germstore posted:

"orbiting something that outputs energy" is a pretty low bar to set for habitability.

The habitable zone in this context means 'distance from the star where it is not too hot or too cold to sustain life.'

It's not a super high bar to begin with... and that's why the habitable zone on this star is like 1/20th of an AU.

As far as the tidal locked thing goes there's not much reason life couldn't be just fine in the twilight band or whatever it's called.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 25, 2016

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
is it dune?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

When we meet the gray aliens they will know us onfly for our media.

And we've beamed millions of hours of hosed up anime hentais to space.

We're so loving doomed

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Woden posted:

It's also apparently 30c on the hot side and -30c on the night side, no idea how they're know that though probably just making poo poo up again.

that's probably not hard to figure out if you know the star's mass and generally where it is along its lifespan and the distance of the planet in question from the star and none of those are that hard to figure out either

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
ill bet its dune

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Woden posted:

Like drat, did you really ask such a dumb snarky question?

Like, is Alien the one where they answer a distress beacon without bothering to see if the ship is infested with dangerous aliens??

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

duck monster posted:

We're so loving doomed

god I hope the aliens don't have tentacles, they are really going to get the wrong message from us

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sunshine is dope af and every movie for the 5 years following its release used its OST for their trailer music

duck monster posted:

We're so loving doomed

it's okay contrary to popular belief that poo poo doesn't just exist forever. the signal degrades and becomes indistinguishable from noise and background radiation pretty quickly actually. Prolly wouldn't even get much past the closer stars (iirc the distance).

Also prolly why we haven't heard peep from anything anywhere despite the size of the galaxy and universe.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 25, 2016

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Sunshine is retarded because that dude freezes like a Popsicle immediately upon taking off his helmet.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

that's probably not hard to figure out if you know the star's mass and generally where it is along its lifespan and the distance of the planet in question from the star and none of those are that hard to figure out either

You have to guess at the atmosphere though which can play a massive part, the difference between Earth and Venus are mostly due to how Venus is a better greenhouse.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
I hope SETI is pointing some antennas over there now.

Also with the new James Web telescope we'll be able to actually get an image of the planet. How cool is that ! And to think that the Government almost didn't approve of it's construction. I'm glad we're still throwing money at the F-35 though. :argh: Those Lockheed engineers who worked on it deserve to be harvested for organs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Woden posted:

You have to guess at the atmosphere though which can play a massive part, the difference between Earth and Venus are mostly due to how Venus is a better greenhouse.

Yeah you wouldn't know the surface temp reliably but you could spitball approx. hot how it would be given no atmosphere or a normal atmosphere fairly accurately.

Decebal posted:

I hope SETI is pointing some antennas over there now.

Also with the new James Web telescope we'll be able to actually get an image of the planet. How cool is that ! And to think that the Government almost didn't approve of it's construction. I'm glad we're still throwing money at the F-35 though. :argh: Those Lockheed engineers who worked on it deserve to be harvested for organs.

It's really a crime how much we spend on useless poo poo like F35 while NASA's budget gets dicked with nonstop.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Sunshine is retarded because that dude freezes like a Popsicle immediately upon taking off his helmet.

Yeah so what that's like 99% of SciFi movies.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Boomstick Quaid posted:

In a vacuum you'll get really cold really fast, not because space is cold but because your moisture will evaporate.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Every naysayer about extra terrestrial life is basing their pessimism on the very narrow span of human understanding and it's freaking pissing me off

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
if its dune i call dibs

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if its dune you'll have to fight me on the sands for control of the spice flows

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Germstore posted:

In a vacuum you'll get really cold really fast, not because space is cold but because your moisture will evaporate.

Yeah exposed layers will freeze but not very deep. Dude's frozen Popsicle body bumps into something and his leg breaks off. Like the spacesuit comes off with it, the suit designed to protect wearers from the vacuum.

Don't get me started on the 2001 "spacewalk" procedures

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's not "Dune," it's Arrakis :colbert:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Woden posted:

This planet is 1.3x Earth mass so could have an atmo like Venus and Earth do, is zooming around a low powered poo poo star so rads may not be a problem if it's stable and doesn't randomly blast poo poo out. It's also apparently 30c on the hot side and -30c on the night side, no idea how they're know that though probably just making poo poo up again.

i think it randomly blasts a lot of poo poo out, like it's a pretty gnarly star. idk though i haven't really read up on it

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Toadvine posted:

Every naysayer about extra terrestrial life is basing their pessimism on the very narrow span of human understanding and it's freaking pissing me off

We know certain things about organic chemistry that should be generally applicable to extraterrestrial life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

i think it randomly blasts a lot of poo poo out, like it's a pretty gnarly star. idk though i haven't really read up on it

meh

quote:

However, Proxima Centauri's overall activity level is considered low compared to other red dwarfs,[20]

• Locked thread