Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So whats the deal with armour? Should I wear a piece in every layer? Is there a weight component that will slow me down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Popete posted:

So whats the deal with armour? Should I wear a piece in every layer? Is there a weight component that will slow me down?

Nobody knows right now and it might not actually be implemented at the moment. So just get the strongest armor.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Popete posted:

It seems that it doesn't weigh you down all that much. I have 107.5% movement speed and there are some people I can't catch while in relatively heavy armor. I don't imagine most people most people have more movement speed than me, so armor definitely affects movement speed. But, overall it seems worth it to go heavy.

People in Knightly Coat of Plates are hard to kill, unless you headshot them.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I guess my twitch video in the OP got deleted because twitch will only save so many past broadcasts, no matter how many views they had. This isn't the same video, but its a good one to replace it with, now stored on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCjqkItFL8A

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So, with the Epic, one tile = one real life hour. Unless I'm just not getting it, I've become terribly uninterested with it.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Blacktoll posted:

So, with the Epic, one tile = one real life hour. Unless I'm just not getting it, I've become terribly uninterested with it.
First stage of epic once it begins is strategy + scheduled battles

What they had in the trailer are basically all alpha features not fully implemented on the Public EA release and will slowly be introduced once the greater mechanics are fleshed out

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I ended up getting a refund through Steam. Well the combat was fairly fun I've played too much M&B to be satisfied with just endless team deathmatch. Epic is the real meat and potatoes here but from the botched initial release it seems like it's not even remotely close to being ready, or at will be very bare bones.

I'll probably pick it up again if they can figure out how to make it more than just TDM.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
This got me playing Chivalry again, which is still great.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Honestly, the more I hear about Epic the more I'm ready to be disappointed. First of all, funneling all battles into a 4 hour window is too restrictive. The US has 3 major time zones, so it can be really inconvenient. For me I go to the gym almost every night usually for 2-2.5 hours, with travel, showering and making/eating food, that can end up being almost 4 hours. I understand and actually recommended the battle time funneling for Strategus after the EUs kept attaching on the NA server at like 2pm EST, but 4 hours is too little, 8 would probably be better. We have no idea what player count looks like but if OKAM is larger than crpg, 4 hours wouldn't be long enough for battles anyway. The next thing is 2 commands per day. That's fine and all, but the general understanding is no one is going to make the early morning command from their computer and game client. We would need a web interface or smart phone app. Currently in the hex map, having six players on one tile will block all other players, including your own kingdom. If the devs want 5000 people playing, the rule needs to change because that's 1250 players spawning on the same role, per kingdom.

The worst part yet is we still don't really know what to expect or even when it will launch.

Also I missed the NA dueling tournament but I'm pretty appalled that shields and the war scythe were allowed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I want to like this game but I've been burned by one too many early access fiascos to even think about paying for it. Please continue reporting from the front lines, dear goons. If things start going well I'll pitch in close to release.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
I think the combat is good, and its alright for early access. But it is just going to die when Bannerlord comes out.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
http://steamcommunity.com/app/430440/discussions/0/350541595105907848/?tscn=1473472059

lmao

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Just got the game, can't wait to play with goons (but spoiler alert: I suck).

Also, I just unlocked the longbow and I hate it a lot.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

This game's population is leaving pretty quickly. I don't think I've seen more than 40v40 in a while.

On the plus side, I'm famous.
http://forum.ofkingsandmen.net/index.php?topic=1805.0

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Refunded a while ago, was hoping I'd get a reason to buy back in when Epic dropped. Any good news?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Wow why's that guy gotta be so rude to you?

Today I've been having fun tag-team trolling dudes with Skoll on the official forums. Lots of thin skins there.

I still enjoy the game, but without 75v75 battles, the rate of XP you get has drastically dropped. It's becoming a chore to unlock things now. And I've just hit my first thrusting sword :suicide:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Nalin posted:

Wow why's that guy gotta be so rude to you?

Today I've been having fun tag-team trolling dudes with Skoll on the official forums. Lots of thin skins there.

I still enjoy the game, but without 75v75 battles, the rate of XP you get has drastically dropped. It's becoming a chore to unlock things now. And I've just hit my first thrusting sword :suicide:

I unlocked the knightly lobed sword yesterday... It's worse than the boat sword. Congrats you wasted your time using awful weapons!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

This game's population is leaving pretty quickly. I don't think I've seen more than 40v40 in a while.

On the plus side, I'm famous.
http://forum.ofkingsandmen.net/index.php?topic=1805.0

Oh I was right! You are a goon!

I was in a game with you yesterday before switching servers.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

VulgarandStupid posted:

I unlocked the knightly lobed sword yesterday... It's worse than the boat sword. Congrats you wasted your time using awful weapons!

I mean, do I just let the XP go to waste and use a decent 1H sword, or do I use these lovely thrusting swords to unlock more terrible thrusting swords? What a dilemma.

It's why I suggested allowing earlier tier equipment let you gain XP for stuff further down the line when I was stuck using the Godenaks in the axe tree. I would have loved to use the Small Axe or Hatchet the entire time to unlock the Flanged Mace.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Nalin posted:

I mean, do I just let the XP go to waste and use a decent 1H sword, or do I use these lovely thrusting swords to unlock more terrible thrusting swords? What a dilemma.

It's why I suggested allowing earlier tier equipment let you gain XP for stuff further down the line when I was stuck using the Godenaks in the axe tree. I would have loved to use the Small Axe or Hatchet the entire time to unlock the Flanged Mace.

I dunno, but using the thrusting swords made me have a worse KDR and therefore the game less fun for me.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Thrusting swords have all their damage in stabbing, and you will often just stab through people for no damage. It is stupid.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Nalin posted:

Thrusting swords have all their damage in stabbing, and you will often just stab through people for no damage. It is stupid.

Yes, so avoid wasting 300k+ of grinding awful weapons just to unlock a weapon worse than what you already have. Unless you want to ruin your enjoyment.

Anyway they rolled out a new patch hopefully giving us more head armor as well as vote kicks and some balances, but the servers are having issues.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

4:20 chadz confirmed stoner

quote:

chadz - Today at 4:20 PM
@everyone CHANGELOG - 1.5.0

-skirmish: beta version
-skirmish map "Refuge", "Outlook", "Encampment"
-conquest map "lowlands" added
-conquest map "castle" temporarily removed
-fixed scrollwheel exploit
-added animation on weapon switch
-muting players in chat
-voting for kick/ban/mute (click on player in scoreboard)
-improved stability

-added world details to the epic
-the epic fog of war
-the epic inverted mouse buttons
-the epic necessary infrastructure changes for the upcoming release

They finally put in real head armor values, so all of the archers are crying because they won't get 1 shot headshots now.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Their patch notes still suck...

And I don't understand all the archer hate from this poo poo rear end community. It's not easy being good with one so they actively punish the people who are because "zomg someone who can aim killed me, can't have that.".

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Skoll posted:

Their patch notes still suck...

And I don't understand all the archer hate from this poo poo rear end community. It's not easy being good with one so they actively punish the people who are because "zomg someone who can aim killed me, can't have that.".

Being one shot killed at the beginning of the round from someone you can't see because the map design is really bad is pretty discouraging especially in the round where you only get one spawn.

Or an archer instant pulls his axe because he heard you come up on him, does the overly fast 180 swing on you for half health and then follows up with the second swing that kills you or runs away and kites you. I don't think it's not understandable at all, but the kiting thing was a huge issue in crpg. In this day and age if you can exploit something, it will be exploited. IE the JackBaldy saga.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 15, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

Being one shot killed at the beginning of the round from someone you can't see because the map design is really bad is pretty discouraging especially in the round where you only get one spawn.

Or an archer instant pulls his axe because he heard you come up on him, does the overly fast 180 swing on you for half health and then follows up with the second swing that kills you or runs away and kites you. I don't think it's not understandable at all, but the kiting thing was a huge issue in crpg. In this day and age if you can exploit something, it will be exploited. IE the JackBaldy saga.

That never bothered me and I got headshot plenty. The only thing I found annoying was the slow down chasing them. I think people are just whiney little cunts because "zomg archers are second class citizens and shouldnt be able to kill anyone ever.".

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The new patch has bad performance issues. And apparently a new memory leak in Epic. They aren't very good at using smart pointers it seems.

They should table Epic for now and focus on some of the deeper problems, like wonky hitboxes/netcode, degrading framerates, and other things that make combat frustrating.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Skoll posted:

zomg archers are second class citizens

Well at least it's true to history.

Also, played an entire round yesterday, said I earned some XP, none of it was applied. Yay?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looks like you can't solo cap a server anymore. You'll get the end of battle 1500 xp but none of the round xp.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I wasn't solo, but also didn't get the 1500 either.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I

Colonial Air Force posted:

I wasn't solo, but also didn't get the 1500 either.

I meant squatting in a server by yourself. You more than likely got your XP, sometimes it just takes a minute or so to show up.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'll check when I get home then.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

You also can't swap flag caps for exp anymore. Oh well.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like how we spend weeks telling them their grind is a loving problem.. So they respond by making it even shittier.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Skoll posted:

I like how we spend weeks telling them their grind is a loving problem.. So they respond by making it even shittier.

Well to be fair, when they made that adjustment they started giving you 100 per round even if you lost. They also shortened cap time which makes conquest much more competitive.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Isn't the real issue with the grind that many of the low tier poo poo is better than the high tier poo poo?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

Isn't the real issue with the grind that many of the low tier poo poo is better than the high tier poo poo?

The armor is essentially linear, but yea the weapon trees are a mess. Some are like 7 items deep in the 1h category and all the two hand and pole arms are like 4 items deep at most. The progression is all kids of random, so sometimes better are weapons are gated behind worse weapons but its often backwards as well. They don't seem to have a vision for what each weapon should be, its almost like they made models for no reason.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Does Skirmish even give XP?

It didn't for the game I tried of it when it first came out

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ThndrShk2k posted:

Does Skirmish even give XP?

It didn't for the game I tried of it when it first came out

It does, but the XP is not worth playing the game mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It gives 100 XP for winning a round. There is no end-of-game bonus like in Conquest.

• Locked thread