Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
should i watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane
That's an outstanding question.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

pastorrich posted:

That's an outstanding question.

WELL WHAT IS THE ANSWER MR SMARTY PANTS

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

No but yes. It's a mess but it's not without merit.

pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

WELL WHAT IS THE ANSWER MR SMARTY PANTS

I know it's about sting and the worm

oblique
Sep 20, 2001

Like me, they have no way to go but up.
remember the tooth

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

yes

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

ok i will watch it

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

If you are familiar with the story GLHF if not then RIP.

There is also a pug in a ton of scenes.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i like the extended cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt83x4e0g3Q

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I'm on a Scorsese kick going to watch Raging Bull next.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

numberoneposter posted:

I'm on a Scorsese kick going to watch Raging Bull next.

cool im probably gonna watch it soon.
too much movies to watch.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Patrick stewart plays the royal dog walker

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its a masterpiece

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Roger Ebert gave Dune 1 star out of 4 and wrote, "This movie is a real mess, an incomprehensible, ugly, unstructured, pointless excursion into the murkier realms of one of the most confusing screenplays of all time."[17]

Roger Ebert was also hella wrong.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mulholland dr lesbian scene trust me

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
what in the hell does the question in the OP have to do with the question in the topic?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Get the cut with all the whispering btw

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

It is a good movie.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

lilljonas posted:

Roger Ebert gave Dune 1 star out of 4 and wrote, "This movie is a real mess, an incomprehensible, ugly, unstructured, pointless excursion into the murkier realms of one of the most confusing screenplays of all time."[17]

Roger Ebert was also hella wrong.

Even before he got mouth cancer Ebert's greatest love in life was making lovely rice cooker steamed chicken and bagged vegetables in his hotel room. He has no taste. Lynch's Dune is the greatest movie.

The only problem with Dune is the extended cut leaves out the Baron's Doctor's wonderful line "Your diseases are beautiful to me"

Other great moments:
Stilgar's "mmmmmm Shai-hulud"
Rabban's eating
Piter De'vries hand-talking
Duke Leto's water pouring.
Fuuuuck that entire "Gureny Plays The Group A Tune" scene, perfect.

How could you not love that crazy movie.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, it is a good movie, OP.

Whispery voice over: The OP is a stupid fag for not having watched this movie already - just as the prophecy foretold!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It has Sting knife fighting in a speedo so it's automatically good.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
it's actually great. It captures the spirit of the book perfectly, who cares if it's rough in places.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
It teaches you a valuable lesson on why you should never smoke spice, not even once.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
If you've read the book watch it. If you haven't it'll be confusing.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

FlimFlam Imam posted:

It teaches you a valuable lesson on why you should never smoke spice, not even once.

But it is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

And I never read the books, but understood the movies all right, even as a dumb teenager. Every time I read a reviewer bitching about the story being impossible to understand, it's a confirmation that said reviewer is not very intelligent.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i dont remember it very well so idk ask Gatekeeper maybe?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yes!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zorodius posted:

it's actually great. It captures the spirit of the book perfectly, who cares if it's rough in places.

Nah. The book is pretty critical of Paul's actions and repeatedly hints that setting yourself up as the messiah and conquering the empire for revenge's sake is probably not going to turn out too well, because the rest of the series is basically a prolonged screed against charismatic leaders. The movie just doesn't give a gently caress about any of that, it revels in comparing Paul to Hitler but never gives any hint that his cause isn't just. In the end he smashes the space government to the strains of Toto and in fact does become a magic man who can cause rain out of nowhere, rather than a noble exploiting fake "prophecies" of a magic man for personal gain. It's hilarious and I wish that it hadn't been so poorly edited. I would watch 3+ hours of this movie no sweat.

The real reason why the movie is good is because they went all-out on the world-building stuff, they convincingly portray cultures that are alien to our experience and have their own poo poo going on. And enough of the cast and crew bought into it that the result is really memorable. It also keeps many of Herbert's weirdest lines which is a plus.

https://youtu.be/BHsSgxpX8rY
Those Caladan wooden interiors :awesome:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
It seems neat but I can never finish it.

I'd rather play that 3d not-dune game.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i dunno what it is, but this one of my go to "hangout" movies, and somehow it ALWAYS results in sex.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
I believe you mean "Alan Smithee's Dune"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

is there any actor who is shittier away from one director than kyle mclachlan is from david lynch?

brotato
May 14, 2013
Dune is good you should watch the extended cut and play the drinking game. Just take a quick swig of your beverage every time they say "spice" or "worm."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FizFashizzle posted:

is there any actor who is shittier away from one director than kyle mclachlan is from david lynch?

Where are my feelings?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

No way! McLachlan is a very good actor. Proof: Showgirls

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

should i watch it.

It's "good".

It may not make sense if you haven't read a dune book or you don't have a dune nerd handy to watch it with you to fill in the gaps.

Maybe it is a bad movie? I dunno, I won't admit it. It's good. I think it rules.

Only watch the theatrical cut.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
sting's menacing smile is my favorite part

SumTingWong
Feb 11, 2015

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

should i watch it.

c'mon dude, rabban juices a rat and drinks it.

the answer is obviously yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I watched Lynch Dune for the first time about a month ago and it was like a Tim & Eric movie with a fat man in a balloon suit floating around and farting.

They should remake it and have John C Reilley play the fat man who can fly in a bubble and farts a lot.

Also he had aids from buttfucking I think?

• Locked thread