Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
i'm actually rewatching this movie due to the super cool link to the fan cut linked above:

Bardeh posted:

There's a 3 hour or something extended cut that some nerd made by stitching together bits from all the different cuts and TV edits or whatever. It's a bit janky, but at least it feels like a complete movie. https://yadi.sk/i/kciUCmMSiRhHS

it's maybe slightly more comprehensible. but it is reminding me about how unbelievably evocative the movie is visually. there is no movie villain more thoroughly repulsive as baron harkonnen, and even though it's so over-the-top it just works completely. the overacting and scenery chewing and bizarre sets and costumes and makeup just ooze sincerity and imagination in every frame.

watch the first scene that introduces the baron (it's around 45 minutes in). if everyone involved wasn't 100% at the top of their game it would have been shlocky and campy and a complete failure, but it just works completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

david lynch has never made a good movie

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
One of my favorite parts of Dune is the intro with the Princess where she is laying out the story in this ghostly astral projection of herself, and then fades away and disappears when she is done... only to come back again and say "oh yeah here is some other things" and then fade out again

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

Bardeh posted:

it's a good movie

why deoes he wear that stupid thing. that doesnt make any sense :confused:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
i actually think she couldn't spit out the entire prologue in one take.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

PBS Newshour posted:

One of my favorite parts of Dune is the intro with the Princess where she is laying out the story in this ghostly astral projection of herself, and then fades away and disappears when she is done... only to come back again and say "oh yeah here is some other things" and then fade out again

never seen it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

david lynch has never made a good movie

you're the biggest jackass loving idiot on the forums

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

there is no movie villain more thoroughly repulsive as baron harkonnen

those gross pustules :gonk:

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005
For god's sake, OP, don't listen to anyone telling you to watch the extended versions. Only watch the David Lynch one. Holy crap are the others bad. Like, re-using the same footage over and over for five minutes bad.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's way cooler than the other dune. :dukedog:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

you're the biggest jackass loving idiot on the forums

turn

on

your

monitor

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
r2d2 is my favorite space character

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bardeh posted:

those gross pustules :gonk:

"you are so beautiful, my baron" :allears:

Dr. Bit posted:

For god's sake, OP, don't listen to anyone telling you to watch the extended versions. Only watch the David Lynch one. Holy crap are the others bad. Like, re-using the same footage over and over for five minutes bad.

yeah there's definitely some merit to this. the fan cut linked earlier makes the narrative slightly easier to understand but the editing is, obviously, not very good. and if you've read the book you don't really need the film to spell poo poo out for you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Goodbye Jessica, and goodbye to your son, Paul. I want to spit once, on your head. Just some spittle on your face.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What about the Sci-Fi TV version: Awful, or terrible?

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

steinrokkan posted:

never heard of it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

just ray posted:

never heard of it

ur one lucky bastard

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

just ray posted:

why deoes he wear that stupid thing. that doesnt make any sense :confused:

He's taking a shower and comes out in his underwear to present himself to his bestest, favoritest Uncle Vova.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

It's cheap and feels pretty soulless, like the producers were mildly autistic.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
i actually didn't mind the miniseries. but it's not good, to be sure. horrible special effects, garbage matte paintings, bad acting. but they do change the dialogue and stuff around so it actually makes sense as a tv show.

the children of dune miniseries is worse, but the book isn't that good either so who cares.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The sci-fi series is real bad.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

hemophilia posted:

The sci-fi series is real bad.

whats it about?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RyokoTK posted:

i actually didn't mind the miniseries. but it's not good, to be sure. horrible special effects, garbage matte paintings, bad acting. but they do change the dialogue and stuff around so it actually makes sense as a tv show.

the children of dune miniseries is worse, but the book isn't that good either so who cares.

I actually liked the Children miniseries better, probably because it's slightly less cheap, and there's no movie to judge it against.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

just ray posted:

whats it about?

Some dudes in suede blouses who live in caves full of murals.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It's okay. Suffers from overall cheapness, but explains the story much better.

Children of Dune is balls-out weird

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
Read the book and watch the film.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

laserghost posted:

Children of Dune is balls-out weird

that's the source material for you though.

the first sequel to dune is grounded in relative normalcy and it's loving boring beyond belief. so frank herbert decided to derail the poo poo out of his universe and so you get a really bizarre story about leto attaining literal godhood and becoming a worm and enslaving all of mankind for a thousand years or whatever.

not one of the sequel books are good but children and god-emperor are at least worth reading anyway because they sure are creative. but messiah, heretics and chapterhouse are loving dull drivel.

thankfully no other hack fraud writer ever took up the mantle to write derivative bullshit in the same universe. like imagine what would happen if known dipshit kevin j anderson got his hands on dune.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
i forgot that the dune movie doesn't introduce stilgar until they run into him after duke leto is killed. and then in the very next scene paul and chani are buddies and he and jamis are fighting. how the gently caress you supposed to follow this movie if you haven't read the book

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

have you guys seen beetlejuice

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

lilljonas posted:

But it is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

And I never read the books, but understood the movies all right, even as a dumb teenager. Every time I read a reviewer bitching about the story being impossible to understand, it's a confirmation that said reviewer is not very intelligent.

I knew absolutely nothing about Dune when I went into it and I had no problem getting through the whole thing, even as a teenager :shrug: You would have had to have never even so much as glanced at a pulp novel (any pulp novel) to not be able to follow the story.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
i can't remember if this was the case in the original cut of the movie or if it's just the fan cut using a lot of scenes that were edited out, but a lot of the times they straight up forget to color people's eyes blue.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

if you say his name 3 times he appears

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

he is dead and very horny

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RyokoTK posted:

i can't remember if this was the case in the original cut of the movie or if it's just the fan cut using a lot of scenes that were edited out, but a lot of the times they straight up forget to color people's eyes blue.

They didn't color poo poo

They had reflective lenses and blue lamps. So when an actor wasn't angled properly, the light would reflect outside the camera.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
lol that seems grossly impractical and ineffective compared to just coloring each frame but w/e

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

have you guys seen beetlejuice

no

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RyokoTK posted:

lol that seems grossly impractical and ineffective compared to just coloring each frame but w/e

Coloring individual frames gave us the "awesome" personal shield effects, so it's probably good they didn't try to overuse postproduction and decided to stick with practical effects whenever possible.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

it has sandworm's and shrimp. it is loosely based of herbert miller's dune©

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

it has sandworm's and shrimp. it is loosely based of herbert miller's dune©

whats dune :confused: