Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

So, seven years ago I got the idea of moving out of the apartment I was renting and buying a boat in stead. Life on the sea is quite similar and also quite different from staying on land. First, I started with an old 33 ft sailboat, and later I upgraded to a newer 41 ft sailboat.

Living in a boat is cramped, you can't take a poo poo in the harbor, you have to go on shore to do your laundry, you have to refill water every week or so, and there's constantly something to fix.

So why on earth would anyone want to live like this?

It's also cozy, you can go anywhere you'd like, you can fix everything yourself, everything on board is almost within an arm lengths reach, there's tons of practical solutions, and you can't accumulate massive amounts of junk. When I moved out of the flat, I threw away 13 garbage bags full of old junk. There's just no room for stuff you don't need in a boat.

Everybody asks if it's cold to live in a boat in the wintertime. I imagine people think that we sit under deck with thick winter suits on, shivering, with frost coming out of our mouths. But it's quite the opposite. The wonders of fossil fuel makes it very warm, using a diesel air heater. And the space to heat up is not very big!

Many people, about 30 people live in boats in the harbor we're in. I guess it's more a lifestyle than a way to save money. But once you've paid the boat in full, you basically live for free. We're mortgage free, and pays about $250 per month for harbor rent. And that. is. it. (Plus fuel in the wintertime).

If you want to look into buying a boat and moving into one: remember that the first obstacle is to find a place where you can keep it and live in it. You need access to shore power and water all year round. The rest is more a question of will.

So this is basically what it looks like:

Kjeks fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How much did the boat cost?

Why do you want to live in a boat? "Because it's small so I can't accumulate junk" isn't really the reason, you could live in a small apartment if you wanted.

Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

Orange Sunshine posted:

How much did the boat cost?

Why do you want to live in a boat? "Because it's small so I can't accumulate junk" isn't really the reason, you could live in a small apartment if you wanted.

The boat itself cost about $100,000 with upgrades. Me and my girlfriend own 50% each.
The reasons for living in a boat can be many. For me it's because it's practical. I like the smart solutions on board. Plus, you can travel everywhere you want, and you bring your home with you. No need to pack a bag and find transportation and hotels. You always have with you lots of food, a small galley, a toilet, a bedroom and a livingroom. And your house is your means of transportation. Last weekend we went to a small harbor nearby which we had never been to before. It was great. If you like to move a bit around and not be stuck for X years in your house, a boat is perfect.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
What kind of work do you do that allows you to live like this? I guess I'm assuming you're at sea more often than not which may not be the case.

Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

N. Senada posted:

What kind of work do you do that allows you to live like this? I guess I'm assuming you're at sea more often than not which may not be the case.

I work as a journalist, and my gf works in children's protection. People who live in boats have regular jobs like everyone else. It's not like we're all bums :-) The boats are tied up in marinas, which usually are located in the middle of city centers. So we're pretty much living in the center of town with a dirt cheap rent. The average rent for a flat here is $1500/month. We pay $250/month to the marina for mooring the boat. So economically it's very good that way. On the other hand, houses only gets worth more and more, while boats gets worth less and less. If you rent a house, buy a boat. If you own a house, keep doing that.
We did however just come home from a two year trip around the Atlantic ocean, which also was a reason for moving in to the boat in the first place.
Point is: living in a boat is something everyone can do if they want (and have access to a decent marina which allows liveaboards). It's a real option to renting a flat if you live by the coast.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
What sort of maintenance headaches do you encounter, if any? I've heard that living on a boat can be expensive due to combining the maintenance expenses of where you live with that of something that sits in water.

Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

What sort of maintenance headaches do you encounter, if any? I've heard that living on a boat can be expensive due to combining the maintenance expenses of where you live with that of something that sits in water.

Good question. There are all sorts of maintenance headaches when living in a boat. Firstly, there's the constant repair/replacement of all sorts of things that get worn out by wear and tear. Water pumps, diesel heater, bilge pumps, engine parts, things that corrode, etc. The marine environment takes its toll on everything. A rule of thumb is that a well kept boat costs about 10 per cent of the boats value in maintenance per year. That's not far from the truth. We must take it on land at least every second year to scrape it, put on new antifouling, replace zinc anodes etc. Then there's a limited lifetime on standing rigging, teak, sails and other stuff. We expect to use around $10,000 the next year just getting stuff replaced and fixed. So while the cost of living is low, the cost of maintenance is high. And did I mention that all parts that has the word "marine" in the name costs twice as much as regular parts?

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
If you're spending $250 / month on rent, effectively, for a depreciating asset, but not bleeding $1500 / month in rent, that seems like it still has to be a win, even with maintenance. Is boating something you got into, or did you come from a family that was into it? That is, did you grow up with it? How much of the repair work can you do yourself?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Could you literally live on a boat full time sustaining your self with sea food caught by you and repairing it with natural objects found at shore?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

So, your boat's 100k value. Ten grand per year for maintenance plus harbor fees = 1,083 dollar per months on 'rent'. I can see some definite advantages to boat living, but you're basically paying a stupendously high amount of money for a moveable 1 bedroom apartment.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pudding Space posted:

If you're spending $250 / month on rent, effectively, for a depreciating asset, but not bleeding $1500 / month in rent, that seems like it still has to be a win, even with maintenance.

You're forgetting the cost of the boat itself. If you amortize the value of the boat over the next X months/years and add that to the $250 and maintenance costs, it would probably be a very long time until it financially made sense. The maintenance and rent alone get you pretty close to the rent ($250 + ~$800 maintenance per month given the 100k boat cost).

Assuming an interest rate of 5%, $100,000 amortized over 120 payments (10 years) amounts to over $1,000 per month (and it's worse if you don't live in the boat that long). While you'd get some of that money back when you sell the boat later, I'm pretty sure that ultimately you end up paying significantly more than you would for an equivalent apartment.

But this isn't the type of thing you should do for financial reasons in the first place. I really like the way the interior of boats like that look. I'm the type of person who doesn't really care about living space and would prefer something small but aesthetically pleasing to something larger. Living in a boat doesn't make sense for me personally, but I can definitely understand the appeal in living someplace like that, especially if you love the ocean.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

A White Guy posted:

So, your boat's 100k value. Ten grand per year for maintenance plus harbor fees = 1,083 dollar per months on 'rent'. I can see some definite advantages to boat living, but you're basically paying a stupendously high amount of money for a moveable 1 bedroom apartment.

if the average cost of a flat is $1500/month then he's not really paying that much different from market value. sure there's less square footage but it also moves so that might be a fine trade-off. I don't think it's as inexpensive as it sounded at first but not really stupendously high either.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Guys living on a boat sounds cool but having financial gain being the driving force seems kinda dumb.

Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

Could you literally live on a boat full time sustaining your self with sea food caught by you and repairing it with natural objects found at shore?

I guess you could, in a way, if you're sort of a very practical hippie and have a wooden boat. You have to take it to the extreme to be able to do so. Most people prefer the comforts of a modern society. There are many boats who are self-sufficient when it comes to electricity and water (solar power, wind generators and watermakers), and you could live on anchor in stead of in a marina. If you live in the Caribbean or somewhere like that, I guess you could live "off the grid", but that's hard in the real world.

A White Guy posted:

Yeah, but as I said, very few people live in a boat for economical reasons. If you live in a boat to save money, you have missed the point (and will probably move back on shore after a while). It's more a lifestyle. It's not for everyone. You have to enjoy tight spaces and going 300 meters outside to another building to take a dump or do laundry. And you can't buy anything larger than a football without really considering it carefully first, because of the space restrictions.
But we do enjoy having two incomes, no kids and a $250 monthly bill. That leaves a shitload of cash for other tings (like expensive boat parts and beer :toot:)

If you crack boat owning down to pure numbers, imagine the real price for a pound of tuna, or the hourly usage price for those who use their $100,000 boats ten days per year. Now that's a waste of money!

But to clearify that the experience is worth more than the cost of money, here are some prime examples of where living in a boat can take you:

Anchored in the Caribbean.

Passing Havana skyline at the crack of dawn.

On shore for maintenance in Trinidad.

Motoring through The Caledonian canal, Scotland.

In a harbour at low tide at Isle of Man.

Anchored off a small island in France.

Fair Isle, Scotland. Only 60 people live on the island.

Yet another sunset in the anchorage.

Dead calm sea outside St. Lucia.

Arriving Manhattan.

Sitting on the swim platform of the boat during a passage.

The Pitons, St. Lucia.

On the remote island of Flores, the Azores.

A visit from dolphins, a regular occurance.

Kjeks fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 26, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Is there a story behind why the boat is named "Emma"?

Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Is there a story behind why the boat is named "Emma"?

My girlfriend says if she had a baby daughter, she would name her Emma. Since we've decided not to have children, we decided to name the boat Emma in stead. She's our baby :)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Those pictures are incredibly cool.

How difficult is it to actually do the sailing? Is it something you have to pay constantly close attention to, or do you only need to make the occasional adjustment? I remember briefly trying sailing about 5 years ago and I kept capsizing 30 minutes after everyone else in my class had already figured things out, but I imagine that "capsizing because you hosed up for 5 seconds" probably isn't as big of a concern in a big boat like yours (though I imagine there are countless other new concerns).

Do you use GPS when travelling or physical maps? Is navigation difficult over such long distances?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
drat you go transatlantic? How'd you finally get up the courage to say gently caress it? Lets sail the the UK? or the Azores?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How do you divide up the watches on longer crossings with only two people? Does your sleep schedule get all hosed? How long does it typically take to do the crossing?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kjeks posted:

I work as a journalist, and my gf works in children's protection. People who live in boats have regular jobs like everyone else. It's not like we're all bums :-) The boats are tied up in marinas, which usually are located in the middle of city centers. So we're pretty much living in the center of town with a dirt cheap rent. The average rent for a flat here is $1500/month. We pay $250/month to the marina for mooring the boat. So economically it's very good that way. On the other hand, houses only gets worth more and more, while boats gets worth less and less. If you rent a house, buy a boat. If you own a house, keep doing that.
We did however just come home from a two year trip around the Atlantic ocean, which also was a reason for moving in to the boat in the first place.
Point is: living in a boat is something everyone can do if they want (and have access to a decent marina which allows liveaboards). It's a real option to renting a flat if you live by the coast.

This seems to contradict your transatlantic trips.

Seriously, how are you making this work?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Please go into more detail on your travelling overseas. How do you save? How long does it take to get from one place or another? I can imagine people can be VERY unprepared for this kind of stuff, what did you have to consider?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Just popping in to say that those pictures are really drat awesome. I can believe that going on a journey like that almost makes you forget about the cost of all this.

Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Those pictures are incredibly cool.

How difficult is it to actually do the sailing? Is it something you have to pay constantly close attention to, or do you only need to make the occasional adjustment? I remember briefly trying sailing about 5 years ago and I kept capsizing 30 minutes after everyone else in my class had already figured things out, but I imagine that "capsizing because you hosed up for 5 seconds" probably isn't as big of a concern in a big boat like yours (though I imagine there are countless other new concerns).

Do you use GPS when travelling or physical maps? Is navigation difficult over such long distances?

Good questions! I like to compare sailing to chess. You can learn the basic rules in one day and start playing, but you can spend your entire life fine-tuning the skills. On normal sailboats, there are usually two sails: the main sail and the head sail. Basically they only work if they are in the correct position, so you'll fast figure out the basic principles. I'd say it's 90 % just using your head and common sense.
On a big cruising boat, you have a huge steel or lead keel, weighing several tons. This counterweight makes it impossible to capsize from wind force alone. You must have huge waves in addition to capsize. It's a very rare scenario, and usually just happens in storms at sea.
When it comes to long ocean passages, we usually put up the sails and let them stand like that for several days or even weeks. We usually let our autopilot steer the boat, then furl/unfurl the headsail when the wind picks up or dies down.

When it comes to navigating, we belong to the "digital generation". We have some paper charts on board, but only use them on long passages, when we mark our position every 12th hour just to have a general idea of where we are if all electronics should die at the same time. Other than that, we mostly use a tablet with digital charts on it, and a more robust chart plotter. We have a total of 8 GPS devices on board, so we should be pretty safe even if the electricity dies.

Bum the Sad posted:

drat you go transatlantic? How'd you finally get up the courage to say gently caress it? Lets sail the the UK? or the Azores?

The first time we sailed across an ocean was from Norway to Shetland, a two days trip. We did all sorts of preparations beforehand, and thought it was a major thing to do. As we've progressively sailed longer and longer, a two day journey is not very far anymore. The longest legs around the Atlantic was: 6 days from Portugal to Gran Canaria, about the same to Cape Verde, then 17 days over the Atlantic to the Caribbean, then 17 days from New York to Azores, and 10 days from Azores to Ireland. Funny thing is that the ocean is pretty much the same wherever you are. It's wind and waves and pretty much nothing else. Once you lose sight of land (usually after a couple of hours), it doesn't matter where you are. It's more a question of being patient enough, sitting in a tiny, rocking boat for several days or weeks.

PT6A posted:

How do you divide up the watches on longer crossings with only two people? Does your sleep schedule get all hosed? How long does it typically take to do the crossing?

It's common to divide watches in 2, 3, 4, 6 or even 8 hour shifts, depending on the number of crew. We had 4 hour shifts in the beginning, but now we use 3 hour shifts. I have trouble sleeping when the boat is rocking and rolling, but after a while you get so exhausted you'll fall asleep anyways. We're usually very exhausted when reaching shore. Most important is that I trust my girlfriend when she's alone at watch and knows what to do, and does not fall overboard. The biggest nightmare of all sailors is that you wake after a long nap, coming out to find an empty cockpit.

Shbobdb posted:

This seems to contradict your transatlantic trips.

Seriously, how are you making this work?

My girlfriend sold her flat to cover the cost of the boat, then we saved up money for two years. That money lasted for two years. When you are DINK (Double Income, No Kids), money is quickly piling up in your bank account. Now we're back home and working again. Basically you can take one year off for each year you save up money, which is what many cruisers do.

teacup posted:

Please go into more detail on your travelling overseas. How do you save? How long does it take to get from one place or another? I can imagine people can be VERY unprepared for this kind of stuff, what did you have to consider?

The best way to prepare, is to just read tons of blogs from other cruisers. Then read up on technical equipment and theory. The rest you'll figure out as you go along. Some people just buy a boat and set sail the same week. At least you'll get an exciting trip that way....!

MrSmokes posted:

Just popping in to say that those pictures are really drat awesome. I can believe that going on a journey like that almost makes you forget about the cost of all this.

Thanks! I'll post some more:

Passing the Statue of Liberty:

More dolphins:

The chart plotter:

Entering port of Miami:

Lots of bridges to pass in The Intracoastal Waterway:

Cuba:

They still use horse and carriage for transport in Cuba:

Puerto de Vita, Cuba. Lots of American boats there :)

Anchored in Puerto Rico:

Anchored in Deep Bay, Antigua:

Kjeks fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 29, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Awesome! Those pics are amazing.

How long did it take you to feel confident sailing around the sea?

How many people have you met that just say "gently caress it", buy a boat and attempt what you're doing?

What are some lessons learned and general advice to someone who wants to do the same thing?

What do you usually buy for a 2-14 day sail? Do you ever get sick of eating fish?

What do you do when there is no wind or it blows the opposite way you want to go? Do you have a motor and fuel on board? How long does that last?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

xaarman posted:

What do you do when there is no wind or it blows the opposite way you want to go? Do you have a motor and fuel on board? How long does that last?

I'm not a sailor but you can sail into the wind. You do it by sailing at angles to the wind and you do this sort of zig zag.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_into_the_wind

Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

xaarman posted:

Awesome! Those pics are amazing.

How long did it take you to feel confident sailing around the sea?

How many people have you met that just say "gently caress it", buy a boat and attempt what you're doing?

What are some lessons learned and general advice to someone who wants to do the same thing?

What do you usually buy for a 2-14 day sail? Do you ever get sick of eating fish?

After a while, you'll feel confident that the rig does not break and the boat does not capsize. But the more you learn, the more worried you get about other things that can go wrong. But generally a sailboat is a very robust piece of equipment.

We've met surprisingly many people who have just said "gently caress it", bought a boat and set off. The Caribbean is full of such people. Most return home after a year or two, but some people are cruising full time. It seems like most are either retired, have sold a company back home, or are working some sort of home office from their boats. There are all sorts of people, from hippies living off hardly any money, to millionaires who doesn't have to worry about anything.

General advice: if you want to buy a boat, just do it. With a boat you can either live a regular life back home - or you can sail away at any time if you have enough money saved up. The biggest obstacle is to buy the boat and move in. We live in a neighborhood with about 40-50 people who live in boats permanently. It's a small community with all sorts of people.

Food: we eat the same stuff people ordinary eat. Except that we have to plan a bit more on large ocean crossings. Meat doesn't last for 17 days. We vacuum pack some things, and there's also canned food. Vegetables, various sausages and bacon lasts a long time. And UHT milk. It's always possible to make something. We don't eat much fish.

Most long distance sailors sail when the wind is favorable, or wait until it gets favorable :) As Goodpancakes pointed out, you can sail against the wind, but not directly. If there's no wind, we just start our diesel engine. Diesel is the only reliable source of propulsion. Some people are die hard sailors who refuse to motor, but we're not that patient.

Here's some more pics for those interested:

Snorkeling on the anchor:

A dinghy dock in Martinique. Most cruisers anchor out and drive their rubber dinghy to shore.

On our way to another island.

Taking a break and snorkeling on a calm day.

Sailing into the sunset:

Both sails up. Excellent conditions:

At anchor in Puerto Rico:

Rig inspection:

Underwater sculpture park, Grenada:

Going on shore:

Turtles!

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
you ever dive into the water from the top of the sail? (or fall off?)

Any scary things happen while traveling the world?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Pudding Space posted:

If you're spending $250 / month on rent, effectively, for a depreciating asset, but not bleeding $1500 / month in rent, that seems like it still has to be a win, even with maintenance. Is boating something you got into, or did you come from a family that was into it? That is, did you grow up with it? How much of the repair work can you do yourself?
My question piggybacks on this one. If you're paying $250/mo rent plus ~$1,000/mo (average) on boat maint/upkeep (based on your $10k/yr number) plus other costs of boat living (not being able to own anything in bulk), are you saving any money this way, or do you figure you are paying about what you'd be paying to live in an apartment?

Sailing question: I was sharing a 25ft sailboat with some friends at one time. I used to out alone and with non-sailing friends. I was always afraid of falling off the boat while underway, then watching the boat with my landlubber friends sail off into the distance while I tread water and eventually drown. What do you do to prevent this kind of thing?

Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

turbomoose posted:

you ever dive into the water from the top of the sail? (or fall off?)

Any scary things happen while traveling the world?

No diving from top of the rig. I hate the idea of falling down on deck and killing myself. But lots of diving from the side of the boat :)

Few scary things happened, except when we hit some really rough weather outside USA on our way home. The waves were huge and we had problems steering the boat (it speeds up pretty much when surfing down the waves). But we deployed a drogue and waited for the next day before continuing.

photomikey posted:

My question piggybacks on this one. If you're paying $250/mo rent plus ~$1,000/mo (average) on boat maint/upkeep (based on your $10k/yr number) plus other costs of boat living (not being able to own anything in bulk), are you saving any money this way, or do you figure you are paying about what you'd be paying to live in an apartment?

Sailing question: I was sharing a 25ft sailboat with some friends at one time. I used to out alone and with non-sailing friends. I was always afraid of falling off the boat while underway, then watching the boat with my landlubber friends sail off into the distance while I tread water and eventually drown. What do you do to prevent this kind of thing?

The $1000 month is a pretty long stretch. I would say it averages on a timespan of perhaps 10-15 years. For example: we have to replace one of our sails. It costs about $2,000. But that's something you have to do only every 10 years or so. Or if you need to buy something major, like a new engine, that's easy $20,000. New standing rigging: $3,500. Some years you don't have to pay anything, and other years you have to buy a lot. It depends on what parts breaks and how well you maintain your boat. But you know what needs to be replaced, and can usually plan a couple of years ahead on big things. We do save money, but it also costs to keep a boat ship shape. Again: if you live in a boat to save money, you're doing it for the wrong reason. There are cheaper ways to live if that's the goal.

When it comes to falling over board: We have one rule on our boat: Don't fall over board. The penalty for breaking the law is death.
Falling over board if you're in calm waters in the daytime with several friends on board is not so bad. You just turn the boat around and pick up the person who fell.
If you fall over board in rough weather or in the night time when no one is watching, you're pretty much hosed. Finding a small head among the waves in pitch black night in the middle of the ocean is pretty much impossible. It's like looking for a golf ball on a snow covered field in a blizzard. We don't wear flotation devices when sailing offshore. It will only delay death a couple of hours. If the weather is rough, we clip on safety harnesses. When alone on night watch, it's forbidden to exit the cockpit and go on deck (you can go below of course). If the weather is rough, the night watch must wear a safety harness.

Here's some more pictures, for those interested:

Stocking up with bottled water before an Atlantic crossing.

Taking a bath behind the boat on a calm day.

On the swim platform.

In the cockpit.

Arriving Mindelo, Cape Verdes.

Arriving Dublin, Ireland.

Moored in Hemingway Marina, Havana, Cuba.

Night sailing in rough weather:

Day sailing in rough weather:

Motoring against the waves in the Caribbean with only the main sail up.

Baby turtles hatching:

Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

By the way, I made a short clip from our first Atlantic crossing. If you want to get an impression of how life on board is, you can watch this. (Skip to about 1:15 to get to the sailing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAxT_DyWHnM

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Well I thought it would be awesome to live on a boat until I watched that video... it made me seasick just imaging that steep of rocking non stop.

So, more follow up questions!

What's the worst weather you've sailed in? How much can the boat pitch? What's your best "oh poo poo" moment? Ever been worried about the integrity of the sail?

How reliable is the autopilot? In flying, if George (the autopilot) can't keep up with the required changes, it says "gently caress it, I'm out" and disconnects. How's the boat compare?

Do you have a de-salinator onboard or is the kitchen run with fresh water tanks? Do you just dump the grey/black water overboard?

Ever been worried about pirates?

Bad weather at night looks atrocious.

Thanks for the thread!

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
How does customs work when you roll up to a random harbor city? Do you have to immediately go to some office/dock to get your passport stamped?

Kjeks
Feb 21, 2005

xaarman posted:

Well I thought it would be awesome to live on a boat until I watched that video... it made me seasick just imaging that steep of rocking non stop.

So, more follow up questions!

What's the worst weather you've sailed in? How much can the boat pitch? What's your best "oh poo poo" moment? Ever been worried about the integrity of the sail?

How reliable is the autopilot? In flying, if George (the autopilot) can't keep up with the required changes, it says "gently caress it, I'm out" and disconnects. How's the boat compare?

Do you have a de-salinator onboard or is the kitchen run with fresh water tanks? Do you just dump the grey/black water overboard?

Ever been worried about pirates?

Bad weather at night looks atrocious.

Thanks for the thread!

The worst weather was a couple of days sail out from USA on our way to Europe. We hit the remains of a tropical cyclone. The wind wasn't that bad, but the waves were horrible, coming from three different directions. We were a bit worried then, but the boat can usually take a lot more than the crew. The next day it calmed down. The danger with huge waves is when they start breaking behind you. Or when you surf down and get too high speed. Down one wave we had more than 18 knots in the surf. We usually sail around 5-7 knots.

Our autopilot survived all the way (thankfully!). It's a hydraulic ram pushing directly on the rudder quadrant. It takes a lot to override it. It happened just once, and then it was difficult to steer manually because of big water pressure on the rudder. The best solution for long distance sailing is a wind vane that adjusts the course relative to the wind, and doesn't use any electricity. But they are expensive as f*ck.

We have 550 liters of fresh water on tanks, and usually buy 200-300 liters of bottled water for crossings. Then we're sure to have enough. We're really careful when using water, not spoiling anything.

Pirates wasn't a big issue in the areas we cruised. They usually hang around Africa and South-East Asia. There were however some hijackings outside Trinidad last year, so the coastguard is keeping an eye on all boats sailing around there now.

Frinkahedron posted:

How does customs work when you roll up to a random harbor city? Do you have to immediately go to some office/dock to get your passport stamped?

It varies from country to country. In Europe, we can basically sail around from country to country as much as we want. Customs/immigration comes on board if they want to. If not, they don't care. We had customs on board three times in Europe. They filled out some forms and had a quick look below deck.
In the Caribbean, you must clear in and out on every island, which can be a hassle. No one came on board or checked anything while we were there, but if you get caught, you get a $5,000 fine. So no point in taking any risks.

The strictest countries was by far Cuba and USA. Both countries have a really tight border control. In Cuba you're only allowed to go ashore on designated government marinas. No anchoring and going ashore without approval from officials. And don't even think about not clearing in. In USA you must have a special visa to visit by boat, so you're pretty much pre-approved/screened before you arrive. The downside is that foreign flagged boats must call CBP every time the boat is moved!, which is pretty ridiculous! Every day when we changed anchorage, we had to phone CBP, even if it was within the same state.

Kjeks fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 1, 2016

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
There's been a lot of discussion about maintenance costs, but how much of that is paying for parts and how much is paying labor for someone else to do it for you? If someone has plenty of experience rebuilding pumps and other mechanical (and specifically naval) equipment, can you cut cost out by buying parts and doing work yourself?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What do you do to deal with boredom? Just read a bunch or something? It seems like just sitting on a boat for days would get a little tough.

Really interesting video, by the way.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I know you can't let fear hold you back, but is your plan for a medical emergency while at sea to essentially die? Have you or your girlfriend taken any training to handle severe injuries?

Also, how do you get the internet?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

What do you do to deal with boredom? Just read a bunch or something? It seems like just sitting on a boat for days would get a little tough.
When at sea, it's like being at work, even when there's nothing to do, there's always something to do. The maintenance, both small and large, is never ending. When your galley (kitchen) is small, you have two coffee cups and a dirty coffee pot, the kitchen needs cleaned and you can't do so much as make a sandwich until it's done. In a 2,000 square foot house a pair of pants and some dirty socks on the floor is not noticeable from 90% of the house. On a boat, you might not be able to walk through the living room.

When at port, it's not really any different than being on land. Read, TV, movies, work, watch the water, hang out, drink beer, talk on the phone, clean the boat, etc.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Any particular reason you went with a fuckton of half-liter water bottles instead of a couple of 5-gallon water-cooler bottles and a reusable bottle to drink from?

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
All for personal choice, but it's always kind of sad that folks like you decide not to have children. That's the premise of Idiocracy. Dumb shits do nothing but breed. Imagine the experiences you could provide little people who actually have triple-digit IQs.

Can't you rig up an inflatable that you can tow the rotten little bastards on until they're ready to be deposited on land? Or lay fertilised eggs in the sand like turtles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Pudding Space posted:

All for personal choice, but it's always kind of sad that folks like you decide not to have children. That's the premise of Idiocracy. Dumb shits do nothing but breed. Imagine the experiences you could provide little people who actually have triple-digit IQs.
Welp now I want to check this movie out.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 5, 2016

• Locked thread