Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
University of Chicago Tells Incoming Students: Don't Expect Safe Spaces or Trigger Warnings

In their letter to incoming students:

quote:

Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so called ‘trigger warnings,’ we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual ‘safe spaces’ where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own.

Your time has come all you special snowflakes . Emonazis can all get hosed.

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/univ-chicago-pushes-back-trigger-warnings-safe-spaces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If they're looking for a Safe space, they should go to the South side

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
cool a news thread thanks op

your posting is appreciated

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

nice school
for a clown to wear
to the circus
idiot

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lmao that they even needed to do this in the first place

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like college/university should be a place to get confronted by things that make you uncomfortable and that make you dialogue with opponents and be exposed to new things and I support U of C's words on this matter.

That said I feel like someone there doesn't get 'trigger warnings' because it's more like just letting people know what the topic will be before they get into it so they can make their own decision on whether they want to participate or not and I see nothing wrong with that? Tho obv it goes too far when people get mad that a pomegranate isn't tagged as 'gore.'

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Well that's a good way to get your school free advertising on a bunch of conservative clickbait sites

The sounds you hear are racist uncles furiously emailing for application packets.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like college/university should be a place to get confronted by things that make you uncomfortable and that make you dialogue with opponents and be exposed to new things and I support U of C's words on this matter.

quote:

Similarly, many universities are creating “safe spaces” where students can relax free from ideas that might be stressful or anxiety-inducing. Among these is Brown University, which last year created a room “with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies” because a debate on sexual assault was taking place on campus.

lmao

college kids need bubbles, binkys and nappy naps

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*farts in class*

gently caress you, no trigger

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tom Gorman posted:

lmao

college kids need bubbles, binkys and nappy naps

Yeah I mean there's providing areas for people to unwind and get some support/therapy and there's treating them like literal babies lol

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Coincidentally that's where Bernie went.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Moridin920 posted:

That said I feel like someone there doesn't get 'trigger warnings' because it's more like just letting people know what the topic will be before they get into it so they can make their own decision on whether they want to participate or not and I see nothing wrong with that? Tho obv it goes too far when people get mad that a pomegranate isn't tagged as 'gore.'

there's ways to tell people what's in a speech by telling people what the speech is called, not to mention things that are pretty graphic having a "warning: this has some mature content and might not be for everyone" have been around since before some tumblr brokebrains appropriated diagnosed mental disorders

its a good idea in general because i honestly don't understand how people who have lived in self-segregation for the entirety of their childhoods are supposed to function in the adult world

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Really though if you want to solve this 'problem' then change higher education and tuition and student finance poo poo such that university is again somewhere to go learn rather than a business designed to attract students then bilk them of all their money at the fastest rate possible.

These universities on board with the Tumblr stuff don't loving care, they just want to pump up their application numbers.

Business Gorillas posted:

there's ways to tell people what's in a speech by telling people what the speech is called, not to mention things that are pretty graphic having a "warning: this has some mature content and might not be for everyone" have been around since before some tumblr brokebrains appropriated diagnosed mental disorders

its a good idea in general because i honestly don't understand how people who have lived in self-segregation for the entirety of their childhoods are supposed to function in the adult world

Yeah I agree. I just don't care if you want to call it a content advisory warning or spoiler warning or trigger warning or whatever. I agree that people take it way too fuckin far.

Maybe they should nix the 'trigger warning' term just because it's toxic at this point.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 25, 2016

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
yasmin tayag gets fired from her job and moves back to scarlem get married to ~juffs~ human being

gangsta

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
college is one big safe space

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Good. gently caress this pussy generation.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
tell the kids to shut the gently caress up and listen for onece

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I think a whole generation of kids watched 9/11 live on TV and never really got over it

Next-gen hippies. "Give us our iPhones and don't talk to us or we'll sue you"

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Tell them to come here !

Something Awful/GBS is an officially designated Safe Space

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
they are just following what they think is the popular trend

colleges/universities in the states are setting themselves up to be presses that suck in government tuition money and output worthless degrees, hoping to hell hillary wins

everyone gets a passing grade so long as their tuition checks clear - and if the government is backing those checks then the potential to make free money is limitless

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I've been watching 9/11 documentaries for weeks straight, never gets old

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decebal posted:

Tell them to come here !

Something Awful/GBS is an officially designated Safe Space

will u cry if i bottle pat in front of u

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they will be able to call white people talking about cultural relativism a stupid loving small dicked gringo now.

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I hope they will be able to call white people talking about cultural relativism a stupid loving small dicked gringo now.

me 2

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
New University of Chicago Admission Test: A two hour sit down of Blazing Saddles. Any one that doesn't walk out gets in.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

lmao that they even needed to do this in the first place

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

they are just following what they think is the popular trend

colleges/universities in the states are setting themselves up to be presses that suck in government tuition money and output worthless degrees, hoping to hell hillary wins

everyone gets a passing grade so long as their tuition checks clear - and if the government is backing those checks then the potential to make free money is limitless

yeah p much

they're just trying to get more applications to justify raising tuitions even more (because we're more competitive to get into now dontcha know)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

this is making me upset

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
University of Chicago telling it like it is. Good poo poo.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Every book and class I have ever been to has readily accessible info through a syllabus or reviews about the content.

Do people not know this?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

this is making me upset

I too hate salads.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

you think anyone ever called em 'cukes' ?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nostratic posted:

Good. gently caress this pussy generation.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Good thing "safe space" is nebulous, bullshit term. Otherwise this might actually mean something.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

Every book and class I have ever been to has readily accessible info through a syllabus or reviews about the content.

Do people not know this?

Mine haven't. Just sayin'

Although all the special lectures and whatever I went that addressed anything real typically would make it known somehow beforehand so if you show up and then go 'this is upsetting me stop talking about X!' you're just being a piss bitch.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Mine haven't. Just sayin'

"professor can I get the syllabus?"
"no, gently caress you"

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
They should continue to be pampered and coddled and infantilized, to keep them weak

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lt. Chips posted:

Good thing "safe space" is nebulous, bullshit term. Otherwise this might actually mean something.

the same thing goes for "trigger warnings" since "triggers" already have a very specific meaning for people with PTSD and idiots looking to project their problems onto anyone else but themselves have taken the word and tried to define it to "thing i don't like"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the same thing goes for "trigger warnings" since "triggers" already have a very specific meaning for people with PTSD and idiots looking to project their problems onto anyone else but themselves have taken the word and tried to define it to "thing i don't like"

Yeah I've always felt bad for people who actually have PTSD from Vietnam/Korea or whatever and poo poo who now get to deal with all this crap.

• Locked thread