Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Frog Act posted:

cursive doesn't matter, its being able to process and articulate ideas that matters, fuckin type it up or whatever its 2016

research indicates note-taking, both in and out of academic settings, is significantly more effective at committing items to memory if hand-written. handwriting is still a relevant broad-spectrum life skill, sorry bout it

also cursive is much faster, maybe we should be teaching ONLY cursive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
except no one's cursive is legible - teachers can barely read your print writing lol

besides you can take notes shorthand and still get the same benefits there's no reason to standardize cursive just cuz of that

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Moridin920 posted:

except no one's cursive is legible - teachers can barely read your print writing lol

because they were taught it for like three years in grade school, if at all.

you ever seen a handwritten letter from the fifties or sixties? cursive so smooth and legible it looks like someone gave a CNC machine a pen

make america cursive again

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
seems like a total waste of time lol the 50s and 60s were extremely lame and ungood

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OMGVBFLOL posted:

because they were taught it for like three years in grade school, if at all.

you ever seen a handwritten letter from the fifties or sixties? cursive so smooth and legible it looks like someone gave a CNC machine a pen

make america cursive again

An animal suffered to produce that quill - I'm calling my mom

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

also im a huge hipster jackoff with a big santa beard who takes notes in class with a japanese fountain pen so take my opinion with a grain of salt

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

research indicates note-taking, both in and out of academic settings, is significantly more effective at committing items to memory if hand-written. handwriting is still a relevant broad-spectrum life skill, sorry bout it

also cursive is much faster, maybe we should be teaching ONLY cursive

sounds stupid i typed notes in undergrad and it worked flawlessly. research dumb

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I usually remember something better if I've handwritten it down, even if I don't ever then read what I wrote.

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i keep a journal rolodex

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ill concede that the best way to take notes on a dense book is to highlight, write in a notebook, and jot stuff in a word document all at once tho

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Frog Act posted:

yeah i'm doing my thesis on late-20th century intellectual history and philosophy so i doubt i'll be able to secure funding to write baout that kind of arcane nonsense, which is a shame, because i love history more than anything. just seems like a history PHD right now would be a bad idea. also, yeah, stipends suck, i'm not allowed to work another job and i make ~10k a year as a TA. grad students in other departments make almost twice that, the fuckers
re: writing i'm with you, it needs to start super early, because people are genuinely unable to string together a coherent sentence, much less grapple w/serious complicated ideas. i had a student last semester mix up the Ayatollah, Richard Nixon, and Fidel Castro into one aggregate dictator who somehow ruled from Mexico

I had a niche interest in Early Modern Euro (Niche enough to the point where profs told me I either needed to go to England for a chance at finding interested parties, or go back to the 90s when funding was better), so I decided to leave the PhD route behind and head into a field where I could use my historical training, all while learning more technical skills and professional skills to better engage the public with. Also, I'll have more job opportunities, which is nice. And, not to be too pessimistic, from some of the people I know even a lone history MA is a hard sell, unless you can attach it to another degree or a cert.

As for sad answers, I had a student, unironically, tell me that Caesar killed Augustus to save Cleopatra and democracy for Rome, so I hear you there. It's rough and I think difficulties handling criticism may actually tie into some of these broader intellectual issues. They managed to do much better after coming to me for real study help and attending at least a few sections, but it was depressing.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly I would be OK if the letter said "If you want a safe space, get hosed. If you want trigger warnings, here's your last one: 3.. 2.. 1.. go gently caress yourself. Good luck in the coming school year."
Both of these things need to loving die. It's like we've put up with so many years of right-motivated censors, the last thing we need is left-motivated ones, because censorship in general sucks. If people can't confront and overcome their differences, nothing is ever going to truly improve. It's a self-defeating bunch of bullshit to make anyone who disagrees with them the villain.

Agreed.

To be honest, I think the "progressive" drives to censor poo poo are more insidious since they couch them in the language of progressive or leftist politics, thus finding ways to associate free expression with bigotry and conservatism. All in the service of what they deem as right and acceptable of course.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fire Barrel posted:

As for sad answers, I had a student, unironically, tell me that Caesar killed Augustus to save Cleopatra and democracy for Rome, so I hear you there.

if it makes you feel better at all even 12-13 year old me would have called that student a dumbass

did that person even play age of empires i mean come on

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

im genuinely impressed they were familiar with them tbh

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
This is a good thread as any for this news story.

http://www.wpr.org/uw-stout-moves-controversial-80-year-old-murals

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly I would be OK if the letter said "If you want a safe space, get hosed. If you want trigger warnings, here's your last one: 3.. 2.. 1.. go gently caress yourself. Good luck in the coming school year."

Both of these things need to loving die. It's like we've put up with so many years of right-motivated censors, the last thing we need is left-motivated ones, because censorship in general sucks. If people can't confront and overcome their differences, nothing is ever going to truly improve. It's a self-defeating bunch of bullshit to make anyone who disagrees with them the villain.

lol if this is your reaction to people requesting that you not be an rear end in a top hat

\/\/\/\/ lmao

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 25, 2016

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

It is reasonable for someone to be upset by those things
okay

quote:

so let's put some kind of something informing people before they just sit down and get hit with images of mass graves from Auschwitz.
no. if triggers are such a big issue for you but you're too negligent to read a course description or syllabus then that's on you.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the trump tutelage posted:

okay

no. if triggers are such a big issue for you but you're too negligent to read a course description or syllabus then that's on you.

okay a) that'd be perfect in a world where all syllabuses and course descriptions were actually well written and/or accurate 100% of the time and b) that doesn't account for special events and c) it takes 0 effort to include such a thing on flyers and refusing to do even that is just bullheaded stubborn adversarialism

by that logic we don't need things like parental advisory warnings on media, either

quote:

Some have accused the university of censoring history and have said the decision is political correctness run amuck.

Chancellor Meyer disagreed, calling it a good business decision not based on political correctness.

"So, we want to make sure that, really, what we decorate our hallways with and what we put in our hallways is consistent with our values to try to attract more Native Americans to the university," Meyer said.

eh that's what we've been sayin'

just trying to pump their numbers

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

by that logic we don't need things like parental advisory warnings on media, either
:agreed:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Moridin920 posted:

Unironically fine with this.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

i'm a grad student so if i play my cards right i will literally never leave college

same. the blue haired menace is real, don't believe it's just tumblr

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's real in like very specific contexts that I can't even really think of right now but... in general cultures mesh and intermingle and that's how everything spreads and I'm pretty sure no rational person left or right wing would dispute it.

The logical end of the argument is all groups must live completely separate from each other in segregated societies and never talk or mingle lest they 'steal' culture from some other group. That's basically as xenophobically fascist as it gets, not that they realize it bc they're likely just morons angry about racism but with no real solution.

but like okay if Disney goes and finds some African tribe and then just jacks all their steez and makes a bunch of money on a cool movie and the tribe just gets the shaft then that is kinda lovely but I don't think that's what they are talking about at all really and even then it's kinda :shrug:
don't worry, the solution to this problem is just more robocop logic. if you are accused of cultural appropriation just tell them to stop dening your trans-racial identify

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

don't worry, the solution to this problem is just more robocop logic. if you are accused of cultural appropriation just tell them to stop dening your trans-racial identify

cultural appropriation is garbage but so is denying history

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

I read somewhere that most people go for degrees in Psychology because they're mentally hosed up in some way and want to fix themselves

This is not something that works

For those who realize they have problems and get real professional help, it works. For those who just remain oblivious or become aware without seeking help it's just learning about cancer in lieu of radiation therapy.

Either way, lol if you are going into clinical psych and need trigger warnings.

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
that gladwell book that explains learned autism is a good read

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
college is just a daycare for adults under the guise of education. they drain infantile people of their money and those people come out thinking their opinions matter more because they accomplished something that society says is important.

FIGHT THE POWER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5jPDqeb25s

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 26, 2016

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaunab posted:

college is just a daycare for adults under the guise of education. they drain infantile people of their money and those people come out thinking their opinions matter more because they accomplished something that society says is important.

FIGHT THE POWER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWTrAVLhbS8

cept med school and law school and that poo poo is really hard some types of stem r hard too if u arent wired for it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

epileptic_ev posted:

cept med school and law school and that poo poo is really hard some types of stem r hard too if u arent wired for it

any kind of grad level program is going to be devoid of safe spaces. you can't exactly publish papers to a safe space

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

University of Chicago Tells Incoming Students: Don't Expect Safe Spaces or Trigger Warnings

In their letter to incoming students:

Your time has come all you special snowflakes . Emonazis can all get hosed.

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/univ-chicago-pushes-back-trigger-warnings-safe-spaces

lol emonazis. is it 2005 again?

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

any kind of grad level program is going to be devoid of safe spaces. you can't exactly publish papers to a safe space

y yes i am a genius ty

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

epileptic_ev posted:

that gladwell book that explains learned autism is a good read

gently caress gladwell

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

William Stoner posted:

gently caress gladwell

no gently caress you

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

probably not install word filters to your web browser to replace words with the N word like you are 13 idk man

ignore them probably, that seems to be working just dandy for me

Sable is of the opinion that these socjus practices favored by wealthy white people are actually more about avoiding the uncouthness of the lower classes. Hence trigger warning becomes friend of the family warning. Because, really, that's what they want. They want to erase all the bad things, including the history that brought them to their comfortable positions. They want absolution for their own monstrous existence. NE way, it's worth a chuckle.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

okay a) that'd be perfect in a world where all syllabuses and course descriptions were actually well written and/or accurate 100% of the time and b) that doesn't account for special events and c) it takes 0 effort to include such a thing on flyers and refusing to do even that is just bullheaded stubborn adversarialism

When it comes to syllabi, particularly for certain classes it really is easy to let students know about potentially difficult material and, for ease of use, many do, in fact, do stuff like this. I've even seen some syllabi, made before the last few years, flag particularly graphic or unsettling course content. However, nothing was ever at risk of being removed for the sake of a person's sensibilities, but only if time was limited. Optimally, I think the classroom as "safe space" would invite the uncomfortable person to explore and discuss a potentially tricky subject in an open environment where everyone has a right to the floor.

Same goes for posters advertising events/speakers. Having a boiler plate warning message for the campus body, just like an advisory warning, could let them know if a particular event/speaker may not be for them. From there, however, it's up to the students if they go or not, and how they handle it if they do. They are adults after all. Banning speakers or cancelling events, though, is not a great idea, just like being to willing to base hires, or firings, on popular opinion.

All that said, I think anti-trigger warning/safe space people can get crazy just as out of hand as the groups they criticize. It's important to stand for academic freedom and freedom of expression for all on campuses, but sometimes people make mountains out of mole hills on all sides of an argument. A simple warning won't erode freedom, just like a shithead speaker won't instantly run to your dorm to antagonize you.

Frog Act posted:

ill concede that the best way to take notes on a dense book is to highlight, write in a notebook, and jot stuff in a word document all at once tho

I mainly tend to annotate and use either a word doc or notebook, usually not both. For vital materials, though, I tended to take a lot more notes and actually do a closer reading of the book, rather than a "grad school" reading of it. One reason why I enjoy writing book reviews for history books, though, is they really inform you how to tackle a work of history in a systematic way. And, with generally tight word limits, they can make good teaching tools imo.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

epileptic_ev posted:

just want my freedom

U r the last free man, actually.

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ork of Fiction posted:

U r the last free man, actually.

till next week because of goon societies morbid revenge proclivities

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

epileptic_ev posted:

till next week because of goon societies morbid revenge proclivities

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Actually George Soros sent me a ten thousand dollar check to "whack" Dare, which I'm pretty sure means give him a handy, but I ain't doin' poo poo until the check clears. Fuckin' bank has been holding it for two weeks now. They say it's supposed to clear next Monday but I'm not holding my breath.

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
ya i wouldnt mind my freedom and a clean record did i mention that before im not dare

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

epileptic_ev posted:

no gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fire Barrel posted:

When it comes to syllabi, particularly for certain classes it really is easy to let students know about potentially difficult material and, for ease of use, many do, in fact, do stuff like this. I've even seen some syllabi, made before the last few years, flag particularly graphic or unsettling course content. However, nothing was ever at risk of being removed for the sake of a person's sensibilities, but only if time was limited. Optimally, I think the classroom as "safe space" would invite the uncomfortable person to explore and discuss a potentially tricky subject in an open environment where everyone has a right to the floor.

Same goes for posters advertising events/speakers. Having a boiler plate warning message for the campus body, just like an advisory warning, could let them know if a particular event/speaker may not be for them. From there, however, it's up to the students if they go or not, and how they handle it if they do. They are adults after all. Banning speakers or cancelling events, though, is not a great idea, just like being to willing to base hires, or firings, on popular opinion.

All that said, I think anti-trigger warning/safe space people can get crazy just as out of hand as the groups they criticize. It's important to stand for academic freedom and freedom of expression for all on campuses, but sometimes people make mountains out of mole hills on all sides of an argument. A simple warning won't erode freedom, just like a shithead speaker won't instantly run to your dorm to antagonize you.

I mainly tend to annotate and use either a word doc or notebook, usually not both. For vital materials, though, I tended to take a lot more notes and actually do a closer reading of the book, rather than a "grad school" reading of it. One reason why I enjoy writing book reviews for history books, though, is they really inform you how to tackle a work of history in a systematic way. And, with generally tight word limits, they can make good teaching tools imo.

for really thorough readings i like the combo because i can write down more extensive stuff on my laptop, like whatever interpretation or relationship or whatever a passage makes me think about, and i can use the notebook for super quick reference to concepts/key ideas for discussions. that's really for excellent indepth stuff, or something i have to write about, or something thesis related, though, i've certainly been guilty of the two-hour 200 page book "grad student" hyperread

book reviews have probably been one of the most useful exercises for me also, since they demand brevity and a full evaluation of the book. i typically do better on 20-40 pg papers because it's easier for me to bloviate a little bit, cramming content into the tight space you're afforded in a review is a real skill-builder. the only B i've gotten in grad school was on a review of a Patton biography because i didn't properly address the mundane biographical elements and just jumped into criticism, which is a pretty big blunder that i won't make again and i'm glad to have learned about practically

i wish there was more money in history :(

• Locked thread