Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like college/university should be a place to get confronted by things that make you uncomfortable and that make you dialogue with opponents and be exposed to new things and I support U of C's words on this matter.

That said I feel like someone there doesn't get 'trigger warnings' because it's more like just letting people know what the topic will be before they get into it so they can make their own decision on whether they want to participate or not and I see nothing wrong with that? Tho obv it goes too far when people get mad that a pomegranate isn't tagged as 'gore.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tom Gorman posted:

lmao

college kids need bubbles, binkys and nappy naps

Yeah I mean there's providing areas for people to unwind and get some support/therapy and there's treating them like literal babies lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Really though if you want to solve this 'problem' then change higher education and tuition and student finance poo poo such that university is again somewhere to go learn rather than a business designed to attract students then bilk them of all their money at the fastest rate possible.

These universities on board with the Tumblr stuff don't loving care, they just want to pump up their application numbers.

Business Gorillas posted:

there's ways to tell people what's in a speech by telling people what the speech is called, not to mention things that are pretty graphic having a "warning: this has some mature content and might not be for everyone" have been around since before some tumblr brokebrains appropriated diagnosed mental disorders

its a good idea in general because i honestly don't understand how people who have lived in self-segregation for the entirety of their childhoods are supposed to function in the adult world

Yeah I agree. I just don't care if you want to call it a content advisory warning or spoiler warning or trigger warning or whatever. I agree that people take it way too fuckin far.

Maybe they should nix the 'trigger warning' term just because it's toxic at this point.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 25, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

they are just following what they think is the popular trend

colleges/universities in the states are setting themselves up to be presses that suck in government tuition money and output worthless degrees, hoping to hell hillary wins

everyone gets a passing grade so long as their tuition checks clear - and if the government is backing those checks then the potential to make free money is limitless

yeah p much

they're just trying to get more applications to justify raising tuitions even more (because we're more competitive to get into now dontcha know)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

this is making me upset

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

Every book and class I have ever been to has readily accessible info through a syllabus or reviews about the content.

Do people not know this?

Mine haven't. Just sayin'

Although all the special lectures and whatever I went that addressed anything real typically would make it known somehow beforehand so if you show up and then go 'this is upsetting me stop talking about X!' you're just being a piss bitch.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Business Gorillas posted:

the same thing goes for "trigger warnings" since "triggers" already have a very specific meaning for people with PTSD and idiots looking to project their problems onto anyone else but themselves have taken the word and tried to define it to "thing i don't like"

Yeah I've always felt bad for people who actually have PTSD from Vietnam/Korea or whatever and poo poo who now get to deal with all this crap.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Al Cowens posted:

This is such a great thread to read with this extension right now

yeah you're apparently a member of the opposite end of the spectrum who think it's hilarious to go around honking the N word out all the time because it's edgy

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

Are you surprised people are reacting this way ? There were serious articles about cafeterias banning fried rice and poo poo like that.

I guess you're either a nazi or a pissbaby no middle-ground anymore.

lol yeah, the correct reaction to extremists on one end is to just get equally extreme but on the other!

some people are mentally ill and doing X in the name of political correctness, therefore the only rational reasonable solution is to replace words I read with the N word. In this way, balance in the universe is maintained :downs:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

Well you're not allowed to call them mentally ill either because you're a normative scum or something. So what are you supposed to do then ?

probably not install word filters to your web browser to replace words with the N word like you are 13 idk man

ignore them probably, that seems to be working just dandy for me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

These are the people offended by other people's wedding rings as symbols of "heteromonoganormativity and patriarchal ownership of women". I don't know how they will be running expelled students programs or counselling abuse victims without breaking down.

i honestly don't know how they will survive outside of academia lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
someone should explain to them about how language is cultural appropriation then maybe they'll stop using it and stfu

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure it's real in like very specific contexts that I can't even really think of right now but... in general cultures mesh and intermingle and that's how everything spreads and I'm pretty sure no rational person left or right wing would dispute it.

The logical end of the argument is all groups must live completely separate from each other in segregated societies and never talk or mingle lest they 'steal' culture from some other group. That's basically as xenophobically fascist as it gets, not that they realize it bc they're likely just morons angry about racism but with no real solution.

but like okay if Disney goes and finds some African tribe and then just jacks all their steez and makes a bunch of money on a cool movie and the tribe just gets the shaft then that is kinda lovely but I don't think that's what they are talking about at all really and even then it's kinda :shrug:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
But like gently caress them if they think I'ma stop chowing down on burritos late at night when I'm drunk lol

plain blue jacket posted:

I thought cultural appropriation was a normal thing humans have been doing for as long as we had spoken language and could scrawl on the cave wall with poo poo.

yeah it's just how things develop and spread

our numerical system is 'culturally appropriated,' all the kanji lettering in Japan/China/etc. has been stolen back and forth for thousands of years is too, and basically everything ever is because nothing is new under the sun

I guess give white people steel working back lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Heath posted:

you kind of answered your own question with this tho. including any trigger warnings necessitates including ALL possible trigger warnings, because literally anything can be argued to be a trigger for someone. let's say you have a class that discusses sexual assault and put trigger warnings: sexuality, sexual assault, derogatory epithets, violence. then someone comes to class and flips poo poo that you didn't put up a trigger warning for bicycles because the girl that was assaulted was on her bicycle and some bitchmade idiot retard scraped their knee when they fell off a bike 16 years prior and now have outbursts of violent sobbing and now the school has to include a bicycle trigger warning on a class lecture on sexual assault. since "trigger warning" as a category is kind of a new thing there's no etiquette or style sheet on what constitutes an appropriate addition to the category. trigger warnings are treated equally by necessity across the board, which has the dual effect of minimizing legitimately traumatic things (like rape, racism, abuse) while elevating peoples' pet peeves to legitimacy (pomegranates, bicycles, rocks arranged to look like a dick & balls)

I dunno I feel like there's some logic breakdown at some point when you are making an equivalency between sexual assault or rape and falling off your bike and hurting your knee though and a decent person in charge should be able to draw the line in a reasonable place.

It's not that you're a special snowflake and deserve a warning, it's that some issues affect large numbers of people in a predictably negative way so they deserve special warning maybe before being discussed publicly. It's not reasonable to expect a person to be triggered so dramatically by mention of a bicycle, but it is reasonable to expect people to be uncomfortable if you're talking about genocide and showing images of mass graves.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Plus there's a lot of things that in the end come down to 'what would a reasonable person do' as decided by a court. It's not like our rules and things are always so black and white like that where it's like oh we have parental advisory warnings for cuss words and graphic violence now we gotta have em for every random little thing someone trips about.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

Isn't exposure to a certain stimuli a way to get rid of phobias ?

Maybe they need to be "triggered" until the brain doesn't respond in such a way ? Nothing can have the same impact it had the first couple of times if you do it repeatedly.

okay but maybe it isn't on you to take up the mantle of deciding everyone gets to have therapy unannounced and out of the blue. Maybe you should not in fact make those decisions in such a blanket fashion for everyone else and instead just say 'hey we're talking about some sensitive issues regarding rape in this lecture just heads up.'

also done badly that can cause additional trauma which then makes it harder to get the person to recover from. Exposure therapy yes but that doesn't mean the best way is to toss them in the deep end and say good luck sink or swim fucker.

Heath posted:

they should, but they also have concerns regarding liability and someone making a claim that their legitimate disorder/concern was ignored by the school. if as an institution you are willfully committing to the inclusion of trigger warnings, you're committing to that for all students, and there's nothing that designates that a burden of proof should be put on the victim (and it shouldn't be) to prove that whatever their trigger is is legitimately detrimental to their health & wellbeing

tbh i think you're talking a bit out of your rear end on this.

like I said there's lots of things that come down to 'what is reasonable' legally and being angry about bicycles is not reasonable. It's not victim blaming to say your reaction is not one of a reasonable person and courts do it all the time.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 25, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I don't understand how ptsd is so common now. Like do they write a letter to all the allergy people saying they aren't going to scale back the botony program? :shrug:

idk we have been at war with multiple countries for the better part of 2 decades now and the economy sucks assholes too so tons of young people join the armed forces

for one thing

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i feel traumatized every time i pay attention to this election cycle lol

Decebal posted:

So where do you draw the line ? Just at rape triggers or what ?

I feel like GBS isn't the place to be deciding this but simply put there are experiences that are universally reviled yet experienced by many; getting raped, living through war/genocide, seeing people killed, etc.

It is reasonable for someone to be upset by those things so let's put some kind of something informing people before they just sit down and get hit with images of mass graves from Auschwitz.

Being upset by bicycles and demanding everyone change the rules surrounding bicycle discussion to cater to you is not reasonable because no one would expect such a reaction.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

How come those WW2 guys were such badasses then ? No complaining, just hard work and putting people on the Moon! Maybe they would have whined as much but it was strongly discouraged and the country was better for it ! Harden the gently caress up

it was called shell shock back then, or 'combat stress reaction.'

quote:

As the size of the British Expeditionary Force increased, and manpower became in shorter supply, the number of shell shock cases became a growing problem for the military authorities. At the Battle of the Somme in 1916, as many as 40% of casualties were shell-shocked, resulting in concern about an epidemic of psychiatric casualties, which could not be afforded in either military or financial terms.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Heath posted:

and just so we're clear i completely agree with you but these are the kinds of arguments people make for having trigger warnings at the first place.

I mean sure but see how far "you don't get to decide what is reasonable" gets them in reality when there is actually a legal term (with Latin and all) denoting 'reasonable person' and tons of jurisprudence and documentation surrounding it.

At some point the administrator needs to say 'this is good, but this is going to far' and that's better than simply ignoring both sides or going one way or another in the extreme.

quote:

i think UoC is making the right choice here in refusing to include any trigger warnings, but giving a preamble "hey, these topics will be discussed in this class and your participation or lack thereof will necessarily impact your grade" is, imo, due diligence done on the part of the school

Eh just semantics at that point really. I'll agree trigger warnings is kind of a really dumb phrase though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

i guess life back in the day was hard enough that people didnt have the luxury to worry about bullshit

yeah I mean that's why most of these people are bourgie white folk

real poor and oppressed people have real problems to worry about

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'ma just post a headline that popped up on Bloomberg here bc lol:

"Father of Teenage Hedge Fund Manager Accuses Regulators of Thuggery"

gotta get daddy to help you out even when you're managing a hedge fund these days lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was an article about a year ago when all the protests were going on and a community college was asked why their school wasn't experiencing the same thing.

The response was akin to, "Our students are too busy with jobs, families, school, commuting, etc. to have the time to stop to protest."

Occupy was a bunch of bourgie white people for the most part too, for that exact reason.

no wonder it failed miserably.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

I have a serious question about this stuff: Do some of these concepts create examples of themselves?

All of the Poly/Genderqueer/misc. whatever people I know are in Social Work, Womyns Studies, or Psych. So, if these people stayed in their small towns and never heard of these concepts, would they still be genderqueer? Or would they just be a sort of tomboyish farmer's daughter and marry that good Thompson boy from down the lane?

Yeah probably.

I mean, it's helpful to have labels and words sometimes to describe complex emotions we feel because it can help us navigate our inner selves (imagine trying to think to yourself about complex ideas with no language, or tribespeople who have no strong concept of numbers past like 10 maybe trying to do calculus), but yeah at some point it's just academics self perpetuating.

e: just so someone doesn't jump down my throat on the tribespeople thing:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2004/08/20/1181286.htm?site=science/tricks&topic=latest

quote:

There are only about 200 Piraha and they live in groups of 10 to 20. Their words for numbers appear limited to "one," "two" and "many," and the word for "one" sometimes means a small quantity.

There is no word for 'number', pronouns do not relate to number (eg, 'he' and 'they' are the same word), and most standard quantifiers like 'more', 'several', 'all' and 'each' do not exist.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

He was sharing a tent with a female Occupy person and talked about how upset his girlfriend was but he was here making a difference.

lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fire Barrel posted:

The letter was a dumb idea and was inviting controversy. I'm all for protecting academic freedom from knee-jerk students, but the tone and timing was not on point. Better to deal with situations as they arise and use them as moments to spell out to students why it's better for them to confront ideas that they deem uncomfortable in a college setting, rather than shut themselves away from the world. Also, do it in a manner that is less confrontational.

Yeah

It kinda read like some administrator was pissed about something related haha.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
to be fair maybe being in Chi-raq is a sufficient trigger warning enough

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
except no one's cursive is legible - teachers can barely read your print writing lol

besides you can take notes shorthand and still get the same benefits there's no reason to standardize cursive just cuz of that

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
seems like a total waste of time lol the 50s and 60s were extremely lame and ungood

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I usually remember something better if I've handwritten it down, even if I don't ever then read what I wrote.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fire Barrel posted:

As for sad answers, I had a student, unironically, tell me that Caesar killed Augustus to save Cleopatra and democracy for Rome, so I hear you there.

if it makes you feel better at all even 12-13 year old me would have called that student a dumbass

did that person even play age of empires i mean come on

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the trump tutelage posted:

okay

no. if triggers are such a big issue for you but you're too negligent to read a course description or syllabus then that's on you.

okay a) that'd be perfect in a world where all syllabuses and course descriptions were actually well written and/or accurate 100% of the time and b) that doesn't account for special events and c) it takes 0 effort to include such a thing on flyers and refusing to do even that is just bullheaded stubborn adversarialism

by that logic we don't need things like parental advisory warnings on media, either

quote:

Some have accused the university of censoring history and have said the decision is political correctness run amuck.

Chancellor Meyer disagreed, calling it a good business decision not based on political correctness.

"So, we want to make sure that, really, what we decorate our hallways with and what we put in our hallways is consistent with our values to try to attract more Native Americans to the university," Meyer said.

eh that's what we've been sayin'

just trying to pump their numbers

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bourgie swine think safe spaces will save them

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulu Carl posted:

Joke's on them, I was born a shitlord.

same lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

E1M1 posted:

This, of course, requires you to completely ignore the very real stories and opinions from professors saying they are actively afraid of crossing their students in any way that could get them disciplined or fired.

i feel like any school where tenured professors are getting in trouble over dumb poo poo undergrads say is not a good school but idk anymore

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this sounds like something the free market will work out on its own tbh

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im bi and i like to gently caress

that's my story and im sticking to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920