Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I was pretty interested in this game as a teen, but then promptly forgot about it almost entirely until now. Interested to see how it translated the Ghouls n' Ghosts experience to the PS2 era.

I can imagine this 'pay to save' thing being a sort of compromise between people who didn't want a save feature and those who realized it's 2 generations too late to think that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Weird that a hub level would be considered a 'level' level, like level 2 in this instance.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I almost forgot Ghouls & Ghosts have the Red Arremers, can't wait to see them in 3D.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I hate to disappoint, but those aren't present in Maximo. Probably because the entire concept behind their design wouldn't work with Maximo's control scheme/3D gameplay.

:sigh: That's a bummer.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dunno why, but the idea of a Hell hub world amuses me.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if I had to criticize GASN's many videos it'd be that they give a very inaccurate impression of the difficulty of the games. You're just too good at games!

e: by the way, still waiting for you to run through Dragon Valor! There was one boss I got stuck at and I wonder what the trick to it was that I was missing.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 8, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

There's actually only one area of the game where the camera gives me genuine trouble, but I've played a lot of really old platformers/action games where the "center the camera behind you button" is all you have, so I may be biased.

Dragon Valor is a PS1 hack 'n slash right?

Not exactly. You don't just press the attack button non-stop, you have different moves for different situations. The most obtuse part though is that from what I understand you get stronger magic if you keep using magic or more attack buffs if you use your sword a lot. Or maybe it's completely random? I really don't know. It's tough because magic is limited, so if you want to work on that well you've got your work cut out for you. Maybe the one boss ruined me because I didn't work on my magic.

e: oh yeah, and you play as multiple characters across multiple generations, and you can affect which descendant you get, which affects the story and which levels you go to too

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 8, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DeliciousCookie posted:

Just to pipe in about Dragon Valor, if I recall right the game doesn't have that many branches for decedents, nor do they play all that differently from one another with few exception. That said, I highly recommend the game. Was another one of my favorites, and the best 'Generations' style game I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh, it's been many years since I got Dragon Valor, so I guess my memories made the story changes between descendants more notable than they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The fight's gimmick would probably work better if it was one of multiple possible attacks rather than just being what it was.

Anywho, thanks for another great LP, and grats on completing the no-death run!

Maximo was Dracula all along!

• Locked thread