Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Gaunab posted:

squats help the legs maintain; you're not actually squatting more, the weight is just moving from your gut to the barbell

canpakes posted:

Squats are the one true path to the surgery ward for total knee replacement.

Oh I'm doing bodyweight, I just want to be able to squat like a Slav not gently caress my knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I would suggest all the goons take a nice long run but there is a rule against that sort of thing now

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I stretch at least twice daily and it feels so good. If I skip a day I creak and pop extra loud

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

stop my rear end is on fire 2 the scene with that one blonde whose older sister wueefs a lot.divx.mpg

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The meniscus on both my knees are borked so I'm afraid to try squatting more than my body weight's worth of weights.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Hips parallel or lower than knees.

Externally rotate the thighs.

Elevate the heels if your flexibility sucks.

Don't let the butt tuck under at the bottom.

loving BLAST outta that hole (without blasting out your hole).

Buy new pants.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It's good for you if you use the proper form and aren't trying to be one of those fat powerlifter guys who've blown out all their joints at 40

I will make bicep curls in the squat rack punishable by death

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Maybe if your form wasn't absolute poo poo you wouldn't have problems with your knees. Also willing to bet that's the only time your legs got to moving. I bet you sit on your rear end a ton.

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
nice to hear about your nonexistent core muscles quasimodo

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ben Smash posted:

Maybe if your form wasn't absolute poo poo you wouldn't have problems with your knees. Also willing to bet that's the only time your legs got to moving. I bet you sit on your rear end a ton.

I work a desk job, so I do spend a lot of time on my rear end, but I go to the gym every other day. My knees don't hurt or anything, they're just crunchy and I don't want to hurt myself. I can't defend my form, though, I've never asked anyone and I don't have a workout buddy.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Batterypowered7 posted:

I work a desk job, so I do spend a lot of time on my rear end, but I go to the gym every other day.

:respek:

If i dont go to the gym I quickly turn into a weak poo poo :toot:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

I can't defend my form, though, I've never asked anyone and I don't have a workout buddy.

It's the space age motherfucker just put on some Youtube vids it ain't rocket poo poo

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
wanna see those thighs go parallel to the ground you lazy rear end in a top hat

also keep your back in the proper position during your lift and don't overdo it on the weight until you really get your form down please you poo poo-eating maggot

kindly re-rack your weights and let others work in you goddamn worthless idiot fucker

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

It's the space age motherfucker just put on some Youtube vids it ain't rocket poo poo

I have. I -think- I'm doing it right.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
what a lot of these bro science/reddit/goons don't uinderstand is that by working out and increasing your upper body size, you will working out your lower body becuase it's now having to hold up more muscle

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
youre wasting time with these squats and deadlifts when you could just put more muscle on your arms and chest and stand up for awhile

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
stretching is for losers unless you're practicing for suckin ur own d

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
lol what the hells the point in working out when you are going to be thin in 100 years anyway??

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Monkey Fracas posted:

wanna see those thighs go parallel to the ground you lazy rear end in a top hat

also keep your back in the proper position during your lift and don't overdo it on the weight until you really get your form down please you poo poo-eating maggot

kindly re-rack your weights and let others work in you goddamn worthless idiot fucker

people pay good money for this kind of coaching, drat, you got a website? instagram?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
What's up with dudes putting way too
Much weight on the leg press machine and then locking their legs out on their reps?

I literally can't watch because I am just waiting for their cartilage to give way

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lmao at the idea that injury can be avoided with "the right form." There is no "right form" of totally unnatural lifts that the body is not meant to do involving the absurdly complex and wear-probe knee joints never mind the loving spinal column. Literally every decent lifter is a walking list of health problems because of these two dumb exercises in particular, aka the Reddit goon exercises.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
knees take a while to catch up with the weight the rest of your legs can shoulder comfortably

you were probably adding weight too fast

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
also big butt checking in

squatting 110 kg like its nothing

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Soccer and cycling will build your legs up something fierce. Much funner than squatting a bar and standing back up.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

8 track betamax posted:

I'm back in a 34x34 for thé first time since high school and I've never felt so alife

Murder your legs and you will feel high all day and then drink anyway because who wants to be swole that bad?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
gym tip: if you stick a large buttplug in your rear end people will think you worked your legs out the day before and that's why you're walking funny

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
"leg day" was invented by the homosexual elite to make all these strong sweaty attractive men walk around like they got a good dicking the night before, wake up sheeps

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

If you don't work out legs you will never get that butt going. It's all about that butt.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

mdm posted:

stretching is for losers unless you're practicing for suckin ur own d

I am

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

PM me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you guys aren't locking your knees when you squat are you

shouldn't be locking your knees on any exercise really

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

you guys aren't locking your knees when you squat are you

shouldn't be locking your knees on any exercise really
I lock them on deadlifts and overhead press. Nothing wrong with locking your knees as long as you don't relax your leg muscles.

On OHP the weight is light enough that my body probably doesn't care, and on deadlift I don't know how the gently caress you pick up hundreds of pounds and then lose engagement of your lower body while keeping knees locked and the bar in your hand and loading your lower body.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Khorne posted:

I lock them on deadlifts and overhead press. Nothing wrong with locking your knees as long as you don't relax your leg muscles.

On OHP the weight is light enough that my body probably doesn't care, and on deadlift I don't know how the gently caress you pick up hundreds of pounds and then lose engagement of your lower body while keeping knees locked and the bar in your hand and loading your lower body.

I do the same on OHP, and for deadlift I'm pretty sure you are required to lock your knees out for the lift to count at a meet? My coach has certainly never told me not to lock my knees out.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I don't work out legs because I'm lazy/my knees hurt/the op is right nobody cares what your quads look like it's all about the guns

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
locking your knees shifts a lot of weight being lifted by the muscle to the knee joint and it's pretty much how people gently caress their knees up lifting :shrug:

idk about competitive lifting im just saying for people at the gym doing leg things

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
fat soft goons who never work out definitely have better knee joints than fit gym gods

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My knees creak and pop from humping a ruck but squats are still good times. I don't know how you hurt your knees recreationally.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
A little over a year ago I started working out and went from like 100lbs to squatting 225 for reps. It only made my knees feel stronger. Fast forward, I got a job working like 60 and 70 hour weeks being on my feet and walking around and now they are absolutely hosed it feels like. You know how sitting a lot gives people a lot of issues? I think I have the literal opposite of that. But I'm working on it and easing back into squatting and I think they are getting better now.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

canpakes posted:

Lmao at the idea that injury can be avoided with "the right form." There is no "right form" of totally unnatural lifts that the body is not meant to do involving the absurdly complex and wear-probe knee joints never mind the loving spinal column. Literally every decent lifter is a walking list of health problems because of these two dumb exercises in particular, aka the Reddit goon exercises.

There are a couple older guys at my work that used to be ripped and do a shitton of leg exercises. Now they both had double knee replacements and one drives around on a motorized scooter all day because he can't walk well.

edit: Oh yea, and 2 other guys who were the strongest most in shape people I knew got disabilitied out of work by destroyed backs and constant repair surgeries.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Id make fun of weird squat goons and their poo poo knees but I run every day so ill probably meet the same fate, but at least my legs dont look really weird and lovely and I can fit into regular jeans

• Locked thread