Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

"If this were so; if the desert were 'home'; if our instincts were forged in the desert; to survive the rigours of the desert - then it is easier to understand why greener pastures pall on us; why possessions exhaust us, and why Pascal's imaginary man found his comfortable lodgings a prison."

When a place of business, a proper city, is formed, there is first the creation of the buildings that will create jobs, and inherent value for that land. Surrounding that are the buildings that those working those jobs would like to live in. Then in-between work and home, buildings that house businesses and other services that promote living in this region. Sometimes, these places grow quite tall, but due to various restrictions, are unable to spread out horizontally enough to add more buildings. Thus creates cities that never sleep, forever awake with the hustle and bustle of packed streets and busy workers.

On the other side, there are settlements that don't make it "big," that never quite evolve beyond the basic building blocks of civilization. A school, a church, a clinic, a few shops and some houses can be all that one place needs to function as a unit. These people know not the happenings of today's market beyond what their town imports and exports, and maintain traditions that, without the intrusion of technology or more business-minded ways of life, remain for decades after the rest of the world has abandoned them.

There are people who find themselves in one of these situations, yet find themselves wanting. They want away from the bright city lights, or away from the unnerving quiet of the countryside. When the city of Norton built a railway tunnel to go out of their town and into the rural town of Honey Bee, these two civilizations became a means for thoughts and ideas of each side of life to meet. People who wanted more things to buy could go to the city, while those who wanted some peace and quiet need only take the train and enjoy the fresh air.

Of course, this is not so simple a fix. There are issues far deeper than one's choice of home. For instance, ever notice that, ever since a certain "event" happened, you went to bed and found yourself waking up an hour earlier, with seemingly no explanation. It was like time had halted for an hour, and resumed without anything changing for it. Except for you. Whether or not you're aware of it, there is a span of time between Midnight and 1 AM wherein the world seems to grind to a halt and remain silent for an hour. No people, no power, just flickering shadows in the distance. But that will be explored in due time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this?
This is a game of FATE Accelerated based on the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona franchise, taking place in scenic Japanifornia. For character generation, I want you to have the following:

• Your High Concept, something that describes you and your Persona
• Four Aspects, two for you, two for your Persona
• Two Stunts, one for you, one for your Persona
• Two Troubles, again one for you and one for your Persona
• An Arcana. This can be any one of the Major Arcana from either the standard deck or the Thoth deck, though I would recommend against The World or Judgement.
• What event came to you awakening to a Persona? How do you view it and its relation to you? Does anyone know about it (or believe you, for that matter)?
• Are you from Norton or Honey Bee?

The general character age of a Persona character is "high-schooler", and I intend to have school and social interactions be an integral part of this game. If, however, you wish to play an adult, if you can come up with some form of reason to have similar social obligations (such as a teacher or other staff member), that is fine too. Heck, if you want to pitch something crazy like an android girl, for all intents and purposes you could treat Norton as having a Kirijo-like corporate entity present. The worldbuilding for this is every much my contributions as it is the contributions of players both in-game and in these applications.

Applications will run until Saturday, September 10th. I look forward to your submissions.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Interest post! Ah!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Personagame is my weakness

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Expressing interest, probably heading for a highly-sophisticated big-city type. Weird French knowledge not confirmed.

Featuring:
Katsumi Toyama

Her persona, Bellona, Goddess of War (The Star)

I'm Katsumi. Please, call me Kat, no need to be formal here. It's nice to say that sometimes, you know? Between my family and my extra-curricular activities, there isn't much time to drop the formalities. The few times I see my parents, outside of their very busy work schedules, is for formal dinners with their associates, always about work. Kendo is another form of very formal activity. Only outside of both of them, in times like this or out on the field playing rugby can I really let loose. At least, that's what I thought until that strange night with the mugging. I have to assume it was a mugging, despite all the strangeness.

I was coming home late from a long kendo workout, not that my parents would have noticed, but I wanted to make sure I placed well in the upcoming competition. It was around midnight, when a very strange looking man came at me. He was hunched over, and spines normally don't curve like that. I heard a sound like glass breaking, and then a sudden rush of energy and fire. Fire both figuratively and literally as I sensed her. Bellona, the Roman goddess of war, the warrior inside of me. I don't remember everything that happened next, but it felt -good- to let loose, with that much power. The monstrous man didn't stand a chance. He.. It.. ran.

Now, it's another thing on my plate. Norton's top school sadly doesn't give rest for those fighting monsters they know nothing about. Especially since I don't have anyone I'd think would believe me about the whole thing.

High Concept: All-Star Two-Sport Warrior
Sample Invokes: Feats of athletics, knowledge of the two sports
Sample Compels: Practice Situations, Exhaustion from long days

Did I mention all the practice? Rugby is taking more and more time, but I'm getting pretty good. They look like they're gonna ask me to tone down my kendo training, but I can do both. I'm still young, not like we've got much rugby competition anyways.

Aspect: Small but Fierce
Sample Invokes: Hitting hard, small size being useful
Sample Compels: Small size being detriment, insults to her height

I know I don't look that big, but that doesn't mean I can't run people over. You think I'm just fast? Stand in my way.

Aspect: Ruthless Competitor
Sample Invokes: In any competitive situation, not giving up
Sample Compels: Forcing a competitive situation out of one that isn't, not running when it's a better option.

Trouble: Sore Loser

Let's keep this simple. I don't like losing. I'll do whatever I can to make sure that I don't.

That's why I'm here. Stand in our way and perish.

Aspect: The Inner Flame (Agi-*)
Sample Invokes: Creating fire, supernatural spirit
Sample Compels: Weakness to wind, trying to keep calm

Let me make that fire in your heart become real.

Aspect: Blade of Bellona (More Slashing)
Sample Invokes: Using weapon, aggressive posturing
Sample Compels: Not allowing retreats on either side

Let me make your blade like mine.

Trouble: Mass Destruction

Let me make those who stand in our way fear you and stand no longer.

Approaches, Stunts posted:

I like how this looks, but I forgot to add stunts, so I'll add them at the bottom.

Approaches
Flashy +2
Clever +1
Quick +2
Careful +1
Forceful +3
Sneaky +0

Kat's Stunt, Iaido Defense: Gain +2 to Defend Quickly when a weapon is within arm's reach.
Bellona's Stunt, Piercing Blow: Create an Advantage (no free invoke) that takes a Good +3 roll to remove replacing a boost, optionally, when you succeed with style on an attack.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 6, 2016

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Time to read up on Fate again, cause heck yeah, Persona!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

App withdrawn. Sorry!

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 26, 2016

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah interest

small town troubled kid?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Melissa Yamamoto

High Concept: Shorty and her Napoleon Complex

Oh, h-hi. I'm Melissa. Sorry I bumped into you. Most people don't really...see me coming...Huh? What was that? Persona? I-I have no idea what that is, what makes you think I'd know? ....Fine, you got me. I guess I gotta tell you about myself. I'm Melissa Yamamoto, I'm a second year at Ishinomori High in Honey Bee, and I have a one-inch samurai living in my head that does magic. So...you know...I'm just a normal girl.

Aspect: dork20
W-Well, I wouldn't put it that way...But yeah, I like tabletop gaming. I actually run the Tabletop Club at school. Well...it's not...an official club...We don't have enough members for council funding. We're mostly four people who meet at my house after school on Fridays. I find it helps my improvisational skills...like in talking to people. But it's kind of a niche hobby, and I can't really talk about it without people giving me weird looks.

Aspect: Master of Trivia
I've done a lot of research into some esoteric subjects. It helps with coming up with stories...I could tell you about ancient Mexican history, but I'm not quite as good at the things they teach in school, so I couldn't tell you how the quadratic formula works.

Trouble: N-Notice Me, Please...
As you can see, I'm...quite short. About....4'10". And I'm not very assertive, so...people don't really notice me that often. And when they do, it's usually to make fun of me. It's fine, I guess...

Stunt: You Don't Have To Notice Me Right Now
Melissa can spend a fate point once a scene to create the aspect In The Background, keeping her from notice as long as she doesn't act to catch attention.

And then there's the issue of my Persona...

Alright, Tiny, I can take it from here!

You're smaller than I am...

Allow me to introduce myself! I am the culmination of Melissa Yamamoto's inner self, but you can call me...

Issun Boshi, Persona of the Hermit Arcana

And it's my job to make sure this pile of three pancakes keeps out of trouble during the Witching Hour!

I get it...a short stack...

So, you know what the Witching Hour is, right? That 25th hour of the day where everything is cast in shadow and the world stops except for those few who can sense it. Turns out, one can come to the Witching Hour through great emotional stress. So, it's probably no secret that Melissa gets bullied a bit. One day, this hit her especially hard. I won't go into detail out of respect for Melissa, but let's just say that a false date proposal was involved. So that night, she wakes up from fitful dreams at midnight to find the entire world changed! Of course, the amount of stress required to enter the Witching Hour also gave birth to me, her mental guardian! So now I have to keep her safe from the things that go bump in the night!

Aspect: Inch High Samurai
Listen, I may be small, but I'm a true warrior through and through! A true samurai honors the bushido code, for better or for worse! I won't fight in any battle without honor and dignity!

Aspect: The Bigger They Are...
The way I see it, the big guys are at a disadvantage compared to me! They have more of them to defend, and more weak spots to take advantage of! And trust me, guy like me has a way of getting to a big guy's weak spot. Of course, even getting there can be a hassle.

Trouble: Notice Me, Dammit!
Listen, Melissa says it's fine, but trust me, I know this girl more than anyone else, and not being noticed freakin' sucks! So you bet your bippy I'm gonna speak up whenever I can! What do you mean, "not a good time?!" Melissa, you need this! So what if you insult a couple people! Stand up for yourself!

Stunt: Wherever I'm Not Wanted
If he's going somewhere he really shouldn't be, Issun can sneak into any place undetected.

Approaches:
Flashy +1
Clever +2
Quick +3
Careful +1
Forceful +0
Sneaky +2

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 29, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiEFa-CIt7o

I remember mom telling me, 'Heat, you're always so busy! You need an extra hour in the day just to get everything done!'. And I was always like 'Ha-ha, yeah funny one mom that's a good joke' like any good daughter would. But how was I supposed to know that she was actually going to be right!?

So, okay. Maybe I should go back a couple steps here.

Hi, my name is Heat Riser. I'm a junior at St. Arthur's High School and I'm currently on the honour roll. I worked my rear end off to get there. I live with my mom in a shoebox apartment in the tenements downtown. She works two jobs and I have one part-time at a make-up shop where you have to pay at least fifty bucks for eyeliner. No, that doesn't mean I'm swimming in cash. And now, I apparently have a magic made up tarot card woman living in my brain and she only likes to come out after midnight when the whole city freezes for an hour.

That makes sense, right? …no? Well, ok.

So. I was hanging back late at Maxima Cosmetica to take inventory and shut up for the night, you know? I have my scooter so I can get home whenever, no biggie. I never mind doing extra stuff like that anyway. But that whole night, I remember always catching something out of the corner of my eye in the mirrors around the shop. We do make-up, there are a lot of mirrors. But every time I turned back around to try and catch a look, there was nothing. I just chalked it up to, you know, working a lot and not getting enough sleep. Just seeing things, it happens.

When I finished up it was already basically midnight. Couple minutes to. I turn the lights off, I lock up, I see the time and go 'Oh poo poo I need to call mom'. She worries a whole lot, so I call her and say hey work kept me back late I'll be home soon love you blah blah all of that stuff. By the time I finish that and get my helmet on and get the bike going, it starts. Everything around me goes still, even the wind stops. My phone beeps. Clock hits midnight. And the city goes some kinda green colour and just freezes.

Naturally, I freak out. Tyres spin and I burn out getting the hell out of there. I had to get home, you know? See if mom was okay. I thrashed the engine trying to get back home, just opened up the throttle, but I wasn't even half way before I got stopped by… something. Somethings, actually. Like oozing black blobs or, like, floating shadows? I don't even know, it was crazy. It was like being in a Guillermo del Toro movie except all those freaky monsters were actually real. I didn't know what was going on, so naturally I got distracted and lost control and crashed into one of them. My scooter hurt that thing as bad as the crash hurt me, but even with that one gone there was half a dozen more and I was still dizzy from the crash.

And that's when she appeared. Out of nowhere, there was this woman made flashy colours and bright lights that burst out of me. With a sweep of her hand she drove the monsters back, giving me enough room to grab my scooter and start it up again. But the really weird thing? I knew her. Aredvi Sura Anahita. Never seen her before, never heard the name before, but I knew. Like some deep recess of my mind suddenly woke up and I knew all this stuff. Except it was just knowing who this magic woman who burst out of my head was. But that night I was happy to take any answers I could get, you know?

I got back home. Mom was okay. Well, as okay as anybody can be after midnight. There but not there. It's like I'm the only person who is actually awake, everybody else was just gone and replace by freaks. Eventually the adrenalin wore off and I fell asleep despite myself… and when I woke up everything was normal again. Mom was there. The sun was out. I still had school and work. I would have just wrote it off as some crazy dream except that I still knew that woman was there. Anahita. Somehow I could feel her or sense her or whatever inside me. Plus, you know, my bike was still busted up from the crash.

I thought about telling mom, or my friends at St. Arthur's, but what would I say? 'Oh hey so it turns out there is a secret hour after midnight full of spooky poo poo and monsters that only I can see and there is a magic fairy woman in my head who I can also only see'? It's nuts! They'd send me to the crazy house, it sounds totally insane. So I kept it a secret. Until now, anyway. Not like I'm telling you guys anything you don't already know, right? And now that I know there are other people like me, I can't just hide anymore. I have Anahita, I can help. I have to, I can't just let you all face these shadows or whatever while I pretend I never saw it at all. That's just not who I am. So whatever this is? Count me in.

…so. Yeah. That's been me.

School's going to be interesting this year…

quote:

Heat Riser

Approaches
+3 Clever
+2 Careful
+2 Flashy
+1 Quick
+1 Sneaky
+0 Forceful

High Concept: Making other people look good
Sample Invoke: Make-up artistry, Organising study groups, Volunteer work
Sample Compel: Made to work overtime, Doing homework for others, Taking the blame to protect a friend

Heat has a flair for fashion and style. Just not for herself. She needs a muse to work, a blank canvas to paint. Sometimes that's an actual canvas. Sometimes that painting her scooter. Sometimes that's helping her friends shop for clothes. But most of the time, she works through the medium of make-up. From getting that perfect 'no make-up' look for friends at school to full on wedding make-up for family, Heat's work has even gotten her a part-time job at Mexima Cosmetica in among Norton's boutique shopping outlets. Of course she was never doing it to get a job, she likes to help people. With their clothes and make-up, but not only that. When somebody in class is struggling with homework, she's the first to help them study. When a friend needs a ride, her scooter becomes a taxi. Spare change goes to that busker. She volunteers at an animal shelter. Helping others makes Heat feel good. Like she's making a difference.

Aspect: Diligent
Sample Invoke: Employee of the month, On the honour roll, Arriving at every appointment exactly on time
Sample Compel: Measure twice cut once, You can never do enough research, Not used to asking for help

Excelling at her make-up job and school all at the same time, along with her volunteer commitments, requires dedication seldom seen in a high schooler. Heat has worked hard to get where she is. As the only child of a single parent, Heat learnt early on that she had to rely on herself if she was going to get anything done. Her mom was at work all day, and she didn't have any family to fall back on. So she got used to doing everything herself, growing from an industrious child to a tireless teen. She doesn't ask for help because she is the help, always there with a plan and an extra pair of hands to get stuff done.

Aspect: Speed Racer
Sample Invoke: Motorkhana on a scoot, Reflexes of a fighter pilot, Handy with a spanner
Sample Compel: Backseat driver, Nobody calls me chicken, Speeding is breaking the law

You wouldn't pick it at first glance. Girl who is into fashion and make-up and doing all her homework on time, she wouldn't be up to anything naughty. But on her scooter riding back home or to school or to work? Heat is a speed demon. She also races on the weekends, riding out to Honey Bee for the rallycross track. When she's not racing it or giving it a new set of decals, it's often in pieces as she strips the motor to clean out the carburettors. But true to her style, all the pieces are laid out in order on a white sheet next to her. It always pays to be thorough.

Trouble: Bystander
Sample Invoke: Just another face in the crowd, Keep your head down, Like water off a duck's back
Sample Compel: Oh I didn't see you there, Popular? I don't even know her, Not leadership material

Heat isn't shy, she loves to hang out with friends and go to parties when she can. But she is never the life of the party, never the girl dancing in the spotlight. She is more than happy to wait in the background and do her own thing and let somebody else take charge. She is a go-with-the-flow kind of girl, and is happy as long as the people around her are happy. If things get heated and people start to shout, Heat is liable to simply shirk back and wait until everybody else has sorted things out. She'd rather not have to take a side and get in a confrontation if she can avoid it.

Stunt: The master of disguise

While Heat doesn't dabble too much in the realm of movie monster make-up, she knows how to work a brush on a blank canvas. Combined with her proclivity to go about unnoticed, she is something of an expert at keeping herself away from the spotlight. Once per session, with access to a change of clothes and a make-up kit, Heat can disguise herself or an ally so they will escape unseen by watchful eyes.

Aredvi Sura Anahita
Priestess

High Concept: Making other people look good
Sample Invoke: Support allies in battle, Sit a battle out to provide tactical support, Stay behind to keep a look out for shadows
Sample Compel: Put the well being of an ally first, Supervising from afar and not being there to help in person, Sacrificing herself to save another

Aredvi Sura Anahita is a goddess of wisdom, healing, and fertility. Her personality is grounded in helping others, be it through healing their injuries or helping them with the gift of life or simply bestowing wise words. As a persona, she retains her sense of needing to help others in the Dark Hour.

Aspect: Matarukaja
Sample Invoke: Give an ally the advantage, With friends you can do anything, Strong enough to face anything
Sample Compel: Stings like a butterfly, Can't face the Dark Hour alone, Tiring

Wisdom is like a flowing river, washing away doubts and purifying knowledge for those who seek it. Anahita can use this river to help allies in the Dark Hour, giving them the power to push through any obstacle. Water is also weak when it is but a drop, but add a million drops together and the raging waters are unstoppable. Anahita can drive Heat and her allies forward in battle, making these friends who band together stronger than they are on their own.

Aspect: Marakunda
Sample Invoke: Give a shadow a consequence, Use the terrain to advantage, Protect the group from harm
Sample Compel: Staying on the defensive, Protecting others before herself, War of attrition

Wisdom is like a flowing river, overwhelming the small-minded and sweeping them away. Anahit can use this river to weaken wicked shadows in the Dark Hour, throwing against them a tide so their every step is laboured. Water also carves a mark in the landscape, giving those who see it an advantage over the blind. Anahita can guide the way for Heat and her allies through the terrain so they do not get overwhelmed in battle. Or even shield them, rising up like a mighty wave from the sea.

Trouble: Make love not war
Sample Invoke: Defuse a heated situation, Not making rash actions, Offering to talk rather than fight
Sample Compel: Avoid conflict, Lose the element of surprise, Get tricked by a white flag

Anahita is a goddess of fertility and healing, on top of wisdom. This makes her a peaceful persona, one who loves and nurtures, and not one who is easily riled up into passionate fury. Combat is a necessary. She is wise and knows that to fight back against the Dark Hour arms must be raised. But she does so reluctantly, preferring non-violent options. And while she may fight shadows, she will be much more hesitant should Heat Riser choose to pick a fight with a human or another living creature. If violence isn't necessary, Anahita will always look to the path of peace.

Stunt: Heat Riser

Teamwork is important. Without working together, how can a bunch of high schoolers hope to beat back the Dark Hour? And what better way of helping is there than setting up an comrade to get the knockout blow? When Anahita succeeds with style on an attack action and chooses to reduce the damage by one to gain a boost, you give a full situation aspect with a free invocation to an ally instead.

Robodog fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 4, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Mark another interested Persona fan, although I'm not intimately familiar with the FATE system.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Is this "life sucks, shoot yourself in the head and manifest your disturbed fear and desperation" Persona or "life is cool, tear up a tarot card and manifest the facade used to overcome life's hardships" Persona? Either way, I'd like to try apping.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Davin Valkri posted:

Is this "life sucks, shoot yourself in the head and manifest your disturbed fear and desperation" Persona or "life is cool, tear up a tarot card and manifest the facade used to overcome life's hardships" Persona? Either way, I'd like to try apping.

I was actually going to leave summoning method to the player. Just like we've got two teams in the games who summon personae differently, so too can it differ from person to person. If that was a question for the mood of the game, I'm going for a general theme of "the grass is not always greener on the other side," if the title and little quote didn't make it obvious, so sort of juxtaposing casual school banter, discussing social issues with one another, and delving into a metaphorical rabbit hole. On the scale of 1 being Grimdark to 10 being Happy-Go-Lucky Funtimes, I'd lean towards a 6-ish. This isn't quite MonsterHearts levels of feels.

Speaking of themes, while I recommend using mythology/urban legend/cryptology as a base for your Persona, it's not mandatory. It just helps give you a means for yourself and others to see how your character and Persona's history/origin/etc relate.

EDIT: Also, if all else fails, make something up and use a Stand as your image! I'm fine with injecting a little JoJo into my Persona stuff.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 26, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Nevermind, redacting app, sorry. Can't get a good grasp on the concept and I don't feel like I can contest the other apps so far.

Have fun, everyone! :)

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 27, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Works for me. Right now my current concept is "Grey Hat Hacker President of the Computer Club"

and his Persona Talos

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
I can never have too much Persona in my life. Why not?

Mtislav Blyuvshtein and ZEUS

Mtislav, who would prefer to be called 'Mite' than his given name, has a rough job.
He'd be the first to tell you that being one of the greatest 'systems analysts' in the state is tough work. For one thing, you're usually paid in various kinds of cryptocurrency, with exchange rates that change daily and are almost unusable outside the select few parts of the Internet that he haunts, and most of it goes into upgrading his various computers. He works long hours into the night, often forgoing sleep or school in order to get his password generator to get the right combination of numbers and letters, or to make sure his darkweb searches run at the time when his ISP is the least likely to pick up on it. Sometimes you even have to edit certain articles online to make sure your syndicate is listed as #3 or #4 instead of the #79th it really is. On the plus side, he's made connections, both people he's only made through a chatroom and people at his school who needed him to change a grade or two or just want to talk about video games. His interpersonal skills have improved since when he first started at Norton's premier Six Sisters academy, as he's often had to act like security professionals to get the right words out of white-collar office workers. And, thanks to his prowess, he now has a personified virus fighting by his side in a Hell-Midnight-Time-Thing.
Mite and ZEUS first met each other when his personal smartphone got a mysterious e-mail. No sender, no subject line, just a strange packaged application called Mask. His curiosity got the best of him, since it was the first of many interesting things to happen to him that month, and he thoroughly scrubbed it, scanned it with every antivirus he owned, even the crappy ones, and checked online, finding nothing. After everything came up clean, he decided to run it. Out came ZEUS. And then the world turned green.
Thing's have changed since then. A lot of things. For one thing, Mite has recently became sensitive to something that he has trouble comprehending - a strange and mystical hour between Midnight and 1 AM, where the world and everything besides that one phone becomes dead, and the monsters of humanity come alive. He's found a few other people that're like him. Him and ZEUS are trapped in a fight for their life, against something he can't just hide behind a computer screen from.
Yeah, it's a bit scary. That's why it's fun.

quote:

HIGH CONCEPT: Computer Cracker + Skull Cracker

Approaches:
+3: Flashy
+2: Forceful, Clever
+1: Quick, Sneaky
+0: Careful

Character Aspect 1: Web of Communication
Mite knows people both in the meatspace and cyberspace (excuse the dumb terms). Some are good. Some don't like him.
Sample Invoke: He knows just the guy.
Sample Compel: Random threats from strangers? It's Tuesday, all right.

Character Aspect 2: 21st Century Boy
Mite knows his way around technology. God help him when that's taken away from him.
Sample Invoke: Intuitively knows how to use tech.
Sample Compel: The Hell am I supposed to do without a phone?

Trouble: Shady-Looking: Thanks to Mite's looks, his cynical personality, and his secret hobbies, he doesn't have the highest standing around the city except for his social circle. Don't expect him to get far in his social standing.

Character Stunt: Hacking is Easy!: Mite gains a +1 whenever using +Forceful to get into a phone or computer, either using his personal toolkit or just using brute force.

ZEUS: IX HERMIT
Zeus is the incarnation of a certain dangerous virus that haunted computers near the start of the century. Because of this, he tends to have...interesting reactions towards technology. Thankfully, Mite can harness and control it to a certain extent, powering things disabled by midnight or using them in new ways. Their relationship can shift from being fire-forged friends to having a tenuous partnership, but at the end of the day the two truly depend on each other to survive the midnight.

PersonAspect 1: Zio
ZEUS can control and attack with lightning.
Sample Invoke: Critical hit!
Sample Compel: Wasn't supposed to hit you, sorry!

PersonAspect 2: Tentarafoo
ZEUS charges the data in the air and releases it, casting a spell that confuses the target.
Sample Invoke: Instant Panic.
Sample Compel: Reflect/Block the spell.

Trouble: Virus At Heart: ZEUS delights in causing damage to property, alongside breaking computers and tech, both in the real world and the Weird-Scary-Midnight place. Mite usually has to remind him of what's at hand, and even then it's tough to reign him in whenever ZEUS sees an innocent little OS that needs some fresh payloads.

Persona Stunt: Glitch: ZEUS can independently power and control pieces of technology, even those rendered obsolete by the Creepy-Bad-Midnight, using his Flashy Approach. He can use this to simply turn it on, cause distractions, light ways, turn tech against this owner, overpowering it, or whatever else the two of them can think of. Zeus cannot possess the same object twice in the same scene, and if started off, it'll stay off.

First time making a FATE character all year. Tell me if you find anything wrong with the sheet/the character.

Fake Edit: Davin I started this character at like midnight Central time and I didn't see your post until I hit 'preview' before I posted, I didn't mean to steal your thunder or your concept. :ohdear:

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 26, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild
Cheerful, earnest and tireless city boy and his Persona...

Baldr, Norse God of Light [The Sun]

Freely admit to not being used to the FATE system, so criticism where necessary is appreciated, especially with regards to Stunts.

quote:

High Concept: Shine On, Bright As You Can

Place: Norton

Self-Aspect 1: Grin and Bear It - Even when it hurts, just smile and shrug it off; life is painful enough as it is, so there's no reason to take it out on others.
Sample Invoke: Pranks? Insults? Violence? Doesn't faze me.
Sample Compel: I'll turn the other cheek, no matter how much I want do to otherwise; payback doesn't solve anything.

Self-Aspect 2: Go-Getter Student - How can you expect to succeed if you don’t try? Life’s too short to take it half-assed.
Sample Invoke: No such thing as “starting too early.” I’ll give it 110%, right from the beginning.
Sample Compel: Doesn’t matter if I’m working alone and can’t finish what I’ve begun; I’m in it to the end.

Self-Stunt: Reassuring Aura - Put at ease by my presence, once per scene I can give an ally +2 to Carefully Overcoming an obstacle.

Self-Trouble: Single-Minded Diligence - When I'm in the "zone" or have a goal to focus on, I have a tendency to block everything else out, and can be bad at picking up social cues.

Baldr: XIX The Sun

Persona-Aspect 1: Divine Being of Light - Legend has it that Baldr was so cheerful that he radiated light. Dunno if that’s true, but I can attest to the light part.
Sample Invoke: Spelunking? Lost in the woods? Searching under the desk? Darkness isn’t a problem with this guy around.
Sample Compel: Even for me, the light’s blinding sometimes. Plus it kind of stands out. Just a little.

Persona-Aspect 2: “Invulnerable” Deity - Although Baldr isn’t outright invincible like in the mythos, sadly enough, he’s still hardier than average and can take quite the beating.
Sample Invoke: Hit him with everything you got, and the guy’s still standing. Probably, anyways.
Sample Compel: If Baldr realizes he’s not literally invulnerable anymore, he sure doesn’t act like it; he can be somewhat reckless and stubborn, which makes him push things too far. Which reminds me of… well, me.

Persona-Stunt: Glory to the Brave - His name literally being the Old Norse word for bold, it should be no surprise that taking risks is part of who Baldr is; At the start of a conflict, make a defense roll with +Forceful. Once during the conflict, if another player uses +Forceful to defend, they may substitute my roll instead. If this still results in stress damage, the damage transfers to Baldr.

Persona-Trouble: Martyr Depiction - Though there are some credible stories that claim Baldr is more warlike in nature than his typical portrayal, this one believes completely in self-sacrifice for the greater good: “If our suffering can ease the burden of others, than it was worth it," sort of mentality. Not that I disagree with that.

Approaches
Careful +3
Clever +2
Forceful +2
Quick +1
Flashy +1
Sneaky +0

Awakening:
Some people like to say that I’m the complete opposite of my dad. Those people don’t know him very well. Sure, I’m all smiles and he’s stern and sometimes even grim, but that’s only surface level. Trying to see the best in people, giving more than my all in everything I do, being there when people need it… all of that comes from what my father taught me. To say I idolize the man and that we have a good relationship would be something of an understatement. That’s why it hurt all the more when I wasn’t there to help him when he collapsed.

Funny enough, or not so funny really, it all happened because of his, my, our ideals. Somehow, I never noticed in our casual chats all the stress on his shoulders. Apparently, he was doing his share at work and more, picking up the slack that his co-workers were supposedly intentionally leaving on his plate. On my part, I had stayed late into the evening at the library studying for upcoming exams, my phone switched off so I wouldn’t get distracted. Which meant that when my little brother texted, called, desperately tried to get my attention, I wasn’t there.

That night, I couldn't help but feel restless as my family and I waited in that hospital hallway, terrified at every doctor or nurse that walked in our general direction. Guilt, anxiety, fear, all emotions that were coursing through my veins. But I smiled. It was at moments like these, my father taught me, that you had to smile and raise the mood. Don't let anything get you down, he said.

I can still remember how disgusted my brother's expression was as he stared at me. "How can you smile at a time like this?" it seemed to say. A question that I couldn't answer, if it had been asked out loud. For the first time in my life, I doubted what my father had tried to instill into me. And so... I ran. Ran out of the hospital into the lot, smile still stuck onto my face. Even in the moment, shame at how ridiculous I was acting wracked my body.

The only thing that stopped me from finding some corner to cry in was a sudden dimming of the hospital's lights, before they faded entirely. Shocked, I only subconsciously noticed that the entire street was in a similar state as I rushed back in. Was it a blackout, a generator malfunction? Would my father be alright? I wouldn't have any answers for an hour; everyone in the hospital had vanished into the air, disappeared, as if they were never there. And it was dark. So damned dark, I couldn't see anything, stumbling around like a blind fool. I reached for my phone, hoping for even the smallest bit of illumination, but to no avail.

My memory of the rest of that time is murky. I wasn't in the best state of mind, after all. But I remember a faint glow, a warm hand on my shoulder. And then, as if that strange hour had never happened, I was standing dazed in the hallway with my family. Since then, I'm pleased to say that my father came out just fine, although we've been told to keep a closer eye on him for any signs of potential danger. I've never told anyone about that experience in the hospital, that hour between midnight and one in the morning that I've ventured into a few times since then, or about the strangely comforting figure in the dark...and his words.

"I am the immortal one, Baldr. Henceforth, I shall light your way..."

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 28, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

More FATE! More Persona! I'll see what I can whip up.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Intrest post

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

People are such lame brained morons...

My name is ♤Shoji Chojiro, 17 years old, and a rock star to be, If my band mates weren't such flakes. I live in Honey Bee but I would rather be in Norton because thats where the scenes are man. God it is a hardship to be a genius like me living in this podunk town. In fact music is how Apollo came to me. I was playing Clair De Lune on the piano; and I was so totally into the music that it came flooding back to me...the laughing at me. It's silly I know to be stuck on it but there it is. I was six, my parents had pressured me into playing on stage at the major Musical Consortium here in Norton. I was skilled enough, everyone knew it, and I was offered many scholarships to all sorts of schools with high level music studies. Everyone was expecting something from Debussey, Chopin, Beethoven, Bach or any of the other greats. Instead I played Endless Rain from the album X Japan on Piano. No one...applauded even though I played it fantastically. It wasn't -classic- so therefore it was worthless and not fine art in their eyes. I was laughed at and sneered at...and my mother and father were disgraced. They told me that the only thing that mattered was classical and to give up Visual Kei, Rock and Metal. So...of course I rebelled and dove headfirst into rock and roll. I played the concerts at ten years old I had a small band, and we played the stupidest rock...I mean goddamn it was dumb. Now-a-days I play Visual Kei mostly along with some Glam Rock and other highly visual music. I want to be noticed for who I am and what I can do. Not what long dead people could do. Sweat poured down my face as I stared at the piano that was in my room...I was about to throw it in anger. Why did I enjoy playing classical music? Sure clair de lune was the song I used to fall asleep to as a baby but they were always dead!

I was about to give it up when the voice came to me; telling me music was in my heart and all I had to do was reach out and grab it and anything I played would be my own. I think they meant figuratively, but there was a card in front of me, the tarot card of the Star and the Persona Apollo was mine. That night for the first time in a long time, I took off my headphones connected to the electronic piano and played Chopin's Nocturne Op. 55 no. 1 in F Minor the song filled the house and the neighborhood, they could feel My emotions play through the music, my hopes, my faith, my dreams, everything fulfilling that moment.

That doesn't mean my band mates aren't any less flakey or that people aren't lame brained morons. It just means that I accept me for who I am; a musician of all types, that I don't have to reject the classics and that I can push my spirit through the songs that I play...not that it has become easier to accept the multifaceted nature of music; but like I said...People are Lame Brained Morons.

quote:

High Concept: A music Prodigy who struggles with his talent vs his desires
Trouble:
Personal Weakness: Egomaniac
While I am great, and I am much better than you; I do have to admit that I might have a slight ego problem and I fully take responsibility for it.

Trouble (Apollo): Megalomania
Apollo on the other hand; desires nothing more than the prove that he is the best; he wants all the power and glory and I can really dig that.

Aspects:
Fashion
Being a musical god isn't easy; one of the most important things is to look the part; I must always have the best fashion for what I am playing and doing; if I do I tend to get really upset at whoever decided that my fashion needed to be that way.

Music
I mean, yeah I am a musical prodigy; of COURSE music is a major aspect of my life...music is pretty much who I am and I challenge anyone to see differently.

Aspects (Apollo):
Music
Apollo is the God of Music, he once defeated Pan who Midea was backing for crying out loud. If anyone is worth being worshipped for their music, it's apollo. Now if only he would stop playing that lyre and get with the modern day and play a guitar.

Light
Being a God with many different talents I think his biggest one outside of music was Light; he WAS the sun and even as far as the Celts revered him as the God of the Sun. Light is just part of who he is man.

Approaches:
Careful: +0
Clever: +3
Flashy: +2
Forceful: +1
Quick: +2
Sneaky: +1

Stunts:
Music Genius:
I play music so well that it can get you feeling whatever I want you to feel. It's a gift I must admit, but whenever I play the music to the soul; once per day I can change a group's emotions to that which I so desire.

Stunts: (Persona):
Shining in the Darkness:
Apollo is the god of light, music and a bunch of other stuff; but as centrally the god of Light once per day he can mess with physics and he can change where light is going.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 9, 2016

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I only have very limited experience with FATE, but I'm interested in giving it a shot and I think I generally get the spirit of it (outside of stunts) so I did my best. I don't have any fancy pictures lined up but I'll try to find some later on.

quote:

Character: Vance Soli ♤

Town: Honey Bee

High Concept: Disaffected Youth

Aspect: I Know Everything Sucks
Vance is highly informed about world events and history, but only when it supports his overall worldview that people are lovely to each other and everything you know is wrong.
Sample Invoke: I know all about the shady financial conglomerate that owns this school and the many, many lawsuits against them.
Sample Compel: Somebody said something ignorant, time to be a dick about it!

Aspect: Critical Thinker
Vance is able to understand complicated situations in an abstract, nuanced way, even when nobody has time for that poo poo.
Sample Invoke: If we consider things from our enemy’s perspective, we can understand their goal.
Sample Compel: But what about the broader social implications behind the monster trying to kill us?

Trouble: I Can’t Keep My Mouth Shut
Vance is an opinionated guy. Too opinionated for his own good. Way too opinionated for his own good. Whether he’s right or not, people usually don’t appreciate the input.

Stunt: Sharp Wits
Vance gets a +2 on Clever rolls to Create an Advantage against an opponent.

Persona: Billy the Kid [VIII Justice]

Aspect: Cowboy
As a fugitive from the lawless West, Billy really only has one solution to his problems.
Sample Invoke: Bang. Bang. Bang.
Sample Compel: Shooting the magical hellbeast from another plane of existence didn’t work? Well, I’m out of ideas.

Aspect: Fair Play
Billy doesn’t like an uneven fight… even if he’s the one with the advantage.
Sample Invoke: Well, that just doesn’t seem fair. I'm going to lend a hand.
Sample Compel: Finishing this guy while he’s defenseless would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Trouble: Reckless to a Fault
Being a supernatural manifestation of human will and all, Billy should know better. Emphasis on should.

Stunt: Duelist
Once per session, Billy can Flashily Create an Advantage to even the odds against a powerful enemy.

quote:

Vance was, for all intents and purposes, your average bitter teen, somebody who realized for the first time that the world is unjust and devoted their adolescence to being angry about that fact. He would have spent his teenage years taking on the world armed with only an anti-establishment punk-rock ethos and a surprising mastery of academic jargon, but that changed the night a last-minute scheduling SNAFU left him stranded at the Honey Bee train station without a ride home. Though it was well past 11 PM, his house was only an hour’s walk away, and waiting for a car wasn't an option, so he left the station and wandered into the night alone.

Vance was walking along the road from the station to Honey Bee proper when the clock struck midnight. Though he barely noticed at first, the air around him stilled, and he was greeted by a cockeyed young stranger waiting for him in the middle of the road. The stranger whispered in his ear, telling him everything he didn’t want to hear: “You’re no different from all the other hopeless kids. You’ll never be anybody. You’ll never create anything. You’ll never make the world a better place. You know it, and you need something to blame. Anything but yourself. If you can’t build things, it’s so much easier to tear them down.” And though it tore him up inside, though he couldn’t bear to face it, Vance knew the stranger was right. He was just a lovely kid from a lovely town, powerless, worthless, no good to anybody. Whatever he thought, whatever he learned, whatever talents he may have had, they were wasted on him. He certainly wasn’t going to do anything with them.

“It just ain’t fair, huh?”

Vance looked up at the grinning stranger, who hid his eyes behind a wide-brimmed hat. “You just want to get by. Doesn’t everybody deserve that much? Even worthless people? Being worthless isn’t such a crime, after all.” The stranger shrugged, his smile more condescending than ever. “But that’s life for ya. It just ain’t fair.”

And then Vance finally found the words to respond. “gently caress that,” he said, hands clenched tight into fists. “That ‘life isn’t fair’ stuff. Yeah, fine, it’s not, but that’s not an excuse for people. People know better, people can be better, and if they choose not to, that’s on them, it’s not on ‘life’. And when people like you--” Vance raised his arm and pointed at the stranger, but the stranger had vanished into thin air. Then Vance felt a hand on his shoulder.

“Maybe we can get along better than I thought.”

Vance whipped around and found the stranger behind him. “Call me Billy. I think I can help you out.” Vance stepped back, surprised by the sudden change in tone, and in that instant, as if a spell had been broken, he realized something was wrong. The air in Honey Bee had never felt this still, this stale, these wooded roads had never been this quiet… or this empty. Or this sickly green. And then there were those shapes, moving out in the distance... “Truth be told, kid,” Billy said, offering his hand, “something tells me you’re gonna need it.”

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 5, 2016

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1FWqVLZpUc

Hello hello hello and welcome to the show! Me? I'm Viola and I have always been as far back as I can remember. Well, I haven't always been here precisely. There was a time when I couldn't make up my mind which path to walk and which way to turn. An awful spot to be, only really existing in some ways but not in others. When you walk in two directions at once you really are going nowhere at all! It's like being stuck in a dark room and no matter what you do, you always seem to miss the lightswitch so you end up drifting in circles around the room forever. Not gonna lie, after a while I was kind of freaking out, you know. From one moment to the next you suddenly realize you exist and then you stuck in nothing. But then I heard something call out to me and that's how I met her.

"I am thou... And thou art I... The Keeper of the Crossroads, the Puppet and the Puppeteer, Meriteia."

It was only when I actually saw her that I realized I was actually there, with a head, two arms, two legs and everything and that I could just start walking. And just like that I took a step and there was a floor. And two ways to go. One with a warm orange light that smelled like cinnamon and the other a neon purple that felt like there was so much more to it. And I realized even if it's hard to make a choice and let go of one thing, that moment when everything was still possible is always going to be there over and over, wherever I go, so I started walking towards the orange with Meriteia by my side.

What do you mean that makes no sense? Of course it does. Oh, how I got to Honey Bee in particular? Through the tunnel of course! How else would you get here? I gotta say, it's a neat little town, even if people give me weird looks sometimes. People kept asking me why I wasn't at school though, so I decided to see what they're talking about. And turns out this "school" thing is pretty interesting! People keep thinking I'm in -- what did they call it again -- oh yeah, Drama class. Something else to check out some time! Anyway, it's interesting to learn about all kinds of stuff and things. Like how people don't really know what a Persona is and that no one seem to know that the Witching Hour happens. People are goofy like that, who woulda thunk! I mean it's right there! Do they just sleep through it? Come to think of it, I haven't seen anybody else around during that time...

Viola is a manifestation of the Dark Hour, born from the divide between the two cities and the people living in them. She's not quite aware of how she came to be or why, only that she had to make an almost arbitrary seeming choice before she could leave whatever formless place she was trapped in before, ultimately choosing to head towards Honey Bee as opposed to Norton. While that might sound simple, she struggled significantly with the idea of choosing from two conflicting ideas and having to give up on the other in return, something that reflects itself rather obviously in the Persona she invoked to pull herself from the metaphysical state of simultaneously existing and not existing.

Meriteia of the Adjustment Arcana

"I am Meriteia the Divided and you have made your choice. From here on I shall guide you on your paths."

Meriteia takes the shape of a pale young woman clad in a dress reminiscent of flower petals on one side and a mechanical puppet on the other. The two shapes are stitched together at the back and act independently of each other. The woman tends to be calm and collected, the puppet aggressive and wild, trying to tug itself free of it's counterpart but not succeeding for the two are one and the same, connected by the threads of fate in perpetual balance. Viola summons her by producing her card out of thin air with a flourish like a magician's sleight of hand before breaking it with her theatrical mask.

The Adjustment is the balance of contrasts, complementing one another and also building up room and time. The principle of activity completes itself with the passivity of inner reflection. Uncompromising honesty and objectivity, the realization of cause and effect in background and consequence.

quote:

High Concept: Otherworldly Soubrette

Character Aspect: Happy Go Lucky
Violet's a pretty cheerful and easy-going girl who tends to be optimistic and trusting, believing in the good of people.
Sample Invoke: It's alright, I'm sure we'll persevere!
Sample Compel: What do you mean he lied to us? Why would he do that?

Character Aspect: Born from the Dark Hour
Viola is naturally attuned to the Dark Hour and it's inhabitants
Sample Invoke: Don't worry, I know the way! Just don't ask me how, I got a hunch.
Sample Compel: Something is calling out for me...

Character Trouble: Betwixt and Between
Viola is kinda flighty and changes her mind easily, which can seem unreliable at times.

Character Stunt: The Center of Attention!
+2 to Flashily Creating Advantages when drawing somebody's attention.

Meriteia - VIII ADJUSTMENT

Persona Aspect: Light and Dark
Always considering both sides of the coin gives Meriteia unique insight into others and lets her intuit things about them. But it can make her be easily swayed sometimes as well.
Sample Invoke: I know how you must feel. Let us help...
Sample Compel: Maybe he's right after all.

Persona Aspect: Poise and Pep
One aspect of Meriteia is calm as astute while the other is swift and agile, but conversely each can be exploited as a weakness of overthinking or being too brash.
Sample Invoke: Quickly, strike now!
Sample Compel: Hold on, have we considered all the possibilities?

Persona Trouble: Me, Myself and I
If Meriteia isn't acting in congruence with herself she can easily become deadlocked by indecision and caught up in struggling with herself, acting erratically at best or even not at all at times.

Persona Stunt: Strings Attached!
Meriteia can briefly take control of Shadows to Cleverly Defend when she interrupts their actions by obstructing or forcing their movement.

Approaches:
Flashy +3
Clever +2
Quick +2
Careful +1
Forceful +1
Sneaky +0

Atropha fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 29, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
How many drat Persona games am I going to app to this year?

Answer:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So, I’m new to the FAE system, so I’d love some advice if I’m doing something wrong.

The High Concept: The Unassuming, Quiet Genius

Self – Mia Calton

Aspect 1 – An Analytical Mind: Part of Mia’s quiet nature comes from her spending a lot of time thinking, examining and making sense of the world around her. She uses the knowledge she gains from studying to make sense of the world around her and approaches solutions from multiple angles, which can lead her to overthinking.
Example Invoke - I think I remember reading about this somewhere, give me a second.
Example Compel - There are so many solutions to this problem, but I don't know which is best.

Aspect 2 – A Modest Soul: Mia is kind-hearted and doesn’t let her successes get to her head. She maintains a down-to-earth disposition and tries to remain pleasant to others. This does lead to her doubting her own abilities and underselling her potential.
Example Invoke - I know what my capabilities are, we can definitely do this.
Example Compel - I'm really not as smart as people think I am.

Trouble – Soft as a Mouse: Mia has trouble projecting her voice or letting her own opinions be known to others. Her voice can get lost in conversations and can lead to her appearing socially awkward.

Stunt – Putting Theory into Practice: Because of her sharp analytical skills and deep knowledge, she gets +1 when she carefully creates an advantage when finding an enemy’s weakness.

Persona – Pythia, the Oracle of Delphi – Arcana: The High Priestess (II)

Aspect 1 – Eye of Delphi: Blessed by Apollo, Pythia is able to see the true nature of her surroundings and creatures. She can find secret passageways and can learn about enemies she encounters. However, doing so leaves her vulnerable to attack due to the need to focus.
Example Invoke - I believe there is a path somewhere near us.
Example Compel - I need time to focus, please cover for me.

Aspect 2 – Guide for the Lost Pythia has a compulsion to those she believes are lost or troubled. Hoping to use her visions to guide those she believes need help, she sometimes finds that they don’t want help, not that it stops her.
Example Invoke - I sense someone who needs our help. Let me guide them.
Example Compel - Are you sure you don't need my help? I believe otherwise.

Trouble – Mystifying Words: Pythia’s cryptic way of talking to others can make it hard to determine what she is actually trying to convey. Some people misinterpret her because of her enigmatic statements.

Stunt – Peek into the Future: Because of Pythia’s ability to see into the future, twice per game session, she can give either herself or another character the aspect "forewarned" that gives them +2 towards actions based on the premonition.

Approaches

Clever – 3
Careful -2
Sneaky – 2
Quick – 1
Forceful – 1
Flashy – 0

Norton is a big city. With all of its flashing lights and loud sounds, it's so easy to get lost in it all. There's life everywhere you look from the busy streets to the dingy alleyways. It's a place I've known all my life and it's still overwhelming. Maybe it's because I don't really go out as much. I mean, I could go and do stuff alone, but I might as well read or study something. At least I can maybe find some peace and quiet that way. Then again, sometimes I do like to go outside and read, but trying to find a quiet, relaxing place in a city like Norton was nearly impossible. It's why I prefer being at home most of the time.

One thing that Norton has given me is a reason to be curious. The city is always alive, with sounds going on 24/7 and there's so much to find. Sometimes, when I get tired of reading, I like to go for a walk around and just take it all in. Sometimes I just like going to the park, probably one of the quieter places in town, and watch people. I know, it's creepy, but it's just interesting to see how people interact with each other and spend time together. The park has a serene feel to it and when I watch people, I just try to guess what they're thinking. It's a bit of a fun game.

I'm not the most popular in school. In fact, the people there scare me a bit. The other students only really know me as "Mia the prodigy" or whatever nickname is popular that time of the year. It's a bit embarrassing and I get nervous about meeting people's expectations. Kitcherson High is a pretty big school, so scoring at the top of the class is a big thing. It's not like I intentionally aim to be the best, I just spend time studying and put my best effort into the tests. Sometimes I wish I didn't score as well. It would help avoid all the attention I get from people, even if some of it comes from good intentions.

Avoiding attention would probably be a good thing for more reasons than just nerves. Recently, I've noticed strange things have been happening. I won't forget one night in particular. Sometimes, when I'm reading, I lose track of time as I let my thoughts wander. One night, the clock by my bedside table just stopped ticking. Confused, I noticed that it wasn't the only thing that stopped. It was like my entire house had reached a standstill. My first instinct was to run outside and see if there was any hint about what was happening. Right outside my house, I met Pythia.

"O lost one, you have an interesting fate ahead of you and you will encounter many things." At this moment, I was feeling an entire mixture of emotions. My heart was being tugged in all directions, but there was a part of me that screamed to stay, to learn more. "My name is Pythia. It has been foretold that I would meet you here. I can sense great potential within you and yet, great turmoil too. Do not worry, though, for I am here to guide you and show you the true path. So has been predicted by me, the Oracle of Delphi."

At this point, I thought I was dreaming. Why would I have power? I had doubts that this was all real. At the same time, though, I didn't think I would be able to come up with dreams this vivid. Maybe a part of me wanted to believe it. Learn about a world that I never knew existed. It certainly felt like a different world. An eerie silence filled the air, something which I never believe could've happened before. Plus, Pythia was offering to be a guide. To help me. I wasn't sure how she was going to help me, but something about just receiving the offer made me feel a bit better. I accepted her help and she walked inside me. It's a strange image. What was stranger was a card manifesting in one of my hands.

"If you ever need my help during this hour, do not hesitate to call me. This world is a dangerous place, so you will need to find allies. I'm sure you'll encounter others." The voice reverberated in my mind. Wait, there were others? How was I supposed to find them? I was filled with such confusion that for a moment, I didn't even realize that time had started moving again. It was only when the sounds appeared that I had realized what had happened. Heading to bed, I thought to myself at the time that maybe I'll just wake up and nothing would change.

Things didn't change. I still experience those nights sometimes. Pythia tells me that "I'll find others if I look", but where am I supposed to begin? I can't just wander around randomly. I've noticed shadowy creatures during the hour. I've managed to avoid them for now, but I know I can't fight them alone. I just need to find people. In Norton. That's not going to be hard at all.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 27, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
kersnip

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 29, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Double posting to ask if there's an IRC channel or Discord server that you hang out in, Unknown Quantity.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Captain Walker posted:

Double posting to ask if there's an IRC channel or Discord server that you hang out in, Unknown Quantity.

Well, I currently hang out in #swampthings on SynIRC, but if you'd like a place to leave messages regardless of whether I'm there or not, Here's a Discord!

EDIT: Also, I thought it went without saying, but do go ahead and put your Approaches in.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 26, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Rose Margrave

It happened when I was young. Really I don't know the details. I passed out as soon as I got hit in the head. It was a nasty car crash while I was walking with my mother and we were peppered with shrapnel. I guess peppered isn't a strong enough word. A few very tiny and sharp bits pierced my skull. I'm okay. Mostly. Well my amygdala got hit. Both of them. The doctor said it was uncanny how the pieces ricocheted with enough force to get in there but not any deeper. Any worse and I would have been dead. Well absolutely dead instead of should have been dead. But hey I'll take should have been dead over that. I guess it's because the bits wen through mom's arm first. She's okay now. Mostly. She can use her hand again. That's the important part. I don't think I'm getting what amygdala do back.

Yeah I don't feel fear. It's kind of a bother, I think? I honestly couldn't really tell you how much I would be better off with it. But people get annoyed when I think Event Horizon is really funny. And they say I stand too close to them. I don't think like other people so they get frustrated when I am not like they expect I guess. Which is frustrating for me, honestly. But I wouldn't want to be just some girl who never surprised anyone either. All the really fun stuff is new and rare. I love seeing things I haven't before. I don't get how everyone seems to not want to try everything once. I can't wait to move out of Norton and see the world. Mom's not really keen on the idea though. It's a real hassle the way she is so protective.

If I just stayed in all the time like she wanted I wouldn't have found the best thing ever. I picked up a weird sent one night. So I sneaked out to see what it was. It ended up taking me pretty far. No normal smell would have traveled that far. In an alley way there was a blew velvet pillow with a pair of earrings on it. I was fascinated by it. Anyone would be, right? I held them in my hands and an odd idea struck me. I pressed the charms hanging from them onto my scars. That was when I saw him.

They long enough where I can, I don't know "activate," them while wearing them. I want to find out why they were left there, if they were meant for me. But Mom wants to move to that little town. I mean, it's a fun visit. But I'll die if I have to be cooped up in a little place like that. Meanwhile she thinks I'll die if I stay here. I think that's a bit dramatic. Car accidents happen everywhere. I don't get what's so dangerous about a city.

Oh yeah, I haven't told anyone about them, of course. I already get weird looks for some of the stuff I talk about. I've really been looking into all sorts of occult stuff since I got them. I always thought that stuff was cool. But man, knowing there really is some crazy stuff out there? How much of it is true? There's so many cool possibilities! Faustus helps me research the stuff. Well really I just listen to him talk about it, it's all so interesting! He says my attitude of study for it's own sake is good. That to pursue such knowledge for another purpose is a fool's errand. Looking for answers is a good way to find nothing but disappointment. I don't know about all that. But I guess it doesn't matter because I'm not trying to cure a disease or anything.

quote:

High Concept Dauntless Explorer

Aspect Immersed in Weirdness

Aspect The Woman Who Knows No Fear

Trouble Or Discretion For That Matter

Stunt Rose has a nose for the occult, she claims to literally sniff it out, and gains +2 when tracking down things of a supernatural nature.

Doctor Faustus
Fool Arcana

Aspect The Devil's Due
Through his dark pact Faust commands unspeakable powers

Aspect Brilliant Scholar

Trouble All For Naught
Faust turned to sorcery when he felt he wasted his life in medicine without any breakthroughs. This same impulse had him reject salvation and escape the pact, resigned to his own damnation. In the end he gained nothing he valued from his dark power as well.

Stunt The Full Rolodex. Faustus can call on a demonic ally to provide a boon once per session

+3 Quick
+2 Sneaky Clever
+1 Forceful Flashy
+0 Careful

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Working on a character. Will be updating this as I go (I am really bad at Fate), but here's a preview.

quote:

Mothman: XVI The Tower

Aspect: Shock and Awe

Aspect:

Trouble: Aura of Malaise

Stunt: Nuclear Might
Something about exploiting conditions or hitting someone who already has consequences to do more damage. Basically trying to model the Frei spell effects in FAE. I don't know, I'm bad at Fate.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 27, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Okay, looks like I'm going to need to make a point of distinguishing myself from Kumaton's computer expert. So, here I go!

Stefan Falco

I know my parents think I'm so smart, but I wish they wouldn't treat me like an idiot. I've seen them talk to the doctors who visit--amazingly, even here in Norton you can still find some that will do house calls. I thought they were all in the sticks...anyway. I know I get headaches and see funny spots, and I haven't slept a full night's sleep since I was twelve. And the doctors like to leave their laptops unsecured while they're busy talking to my mom and dad. Let's just say I've read their files on me, I've seen their prognosis, and it is not pretty. I know the doctors said they should wait until I'm a legal adult to tell me about my "problem"--they called it a bunch of names, Algernon's disorder, Supracerebrosulcus Syndrome--but it all just feels like they're lying to me. Patting me on the head and telling me that everything is going to be fine. That this disease was somehow survivable. That I didn't know I was a dead man walking.

You know what our summer assignment was? The professors at Norton Academy for the Gifted wanted to steer away from assigned readings and rote problems, so they had us write essays on where we saw ourselves going over the next ten years. I was so, so tempted to write "when I'm nineteen, I'll be hailed as a genius, when I'm twenty I'll be admitted to Norton General Hospital as a vegetable, and on my twenty-first birthday I'll be dead, gone, and worm food as all the people with actual futures keep on keeping on, right over my grave." But I ended up deleting that and wrote up a Markov text generator, fed it a bunch of corny inspirational pieces, and turned in that. They had us read our essays in front of the class. So I watched all my classmates, all talking about such bright and happy futures they had, and I went up and tried to feed them all my load of lies, and I kept wondering if I should just stop lying and tell them the truth about what my future held, and whether any of them felt the same way about their own lives, but I...just...couldn't.

They say artists do some of their best work when confronted by the certainty of death. Mozart wrote his Requiem, Dylan Thomas wrote "Do Not Go Gentle." I'm not much of an artist, but I'm decent at coding. That's why I'm the head of the Computer Club. But the night after that recitation, insomnia wouldn't let me go to bed at all, so I stayed up and I wrote lines of my own version of poetry, in esoteric and guarded tongues. I wrote and I tested and I compiled. I must have lost track of time as I was writing; I kept checking the clock as I went but it kept blinking 12:00 midnight, so I just kept going. I remember I had a few funny web pages open, too--one on the automata of Al-Jazari, one on the myth of Rabbi Lowe's Golem, another on the various myths of Crete. I can't really remember why. Maybe I'd gotten distracted.

Confronted by the fear of death, I wrote an intelligence that could never die. Where my mind would very soon degrade and decay, its mind could be properly saved and backed up, and functionally remain forever. And where I was surrounded by people who would lie to me and tell me that everything was going to be okay somehow, the AI would by definition not be so absurd. It could process a great many inputs and arrive at the truth, and it could communicate the truth without equivocation. Such is the elegance of programming.

As I wrote the lines and prepared to assemble the code, I felt that what I had written was something rather more than an artificial intelligence. I guess I could call it my...child? I had taken a piece of my soul and digitized it, rendered it in a half dozen obscure and arcane languages, to preserve it. It could live where I would not.

And when I hit the execute button, I felt it pour itself back into me. A perfected being. An undying and faithful automaton. Talos.

High Concept: Grey Hat Computer Club President
Sample Invoke: Need some spaghetti code unravelled?; contacts among more intellectually inclined students
Sample Compel: Please don't ask me why I have backdoors in the student body data tables...
Aspect:Stop Lying to Me!
Sample Invoke: There's a grain of truth in how they lie
Sample Compel: I'm going to keep insisting you're lying even if others are saying otherwise
Aspect: The Mythic Beauty of Coding
Sample Invoke: Who else are you going to get to read this wonderfully esoteric thing?
Sample Compel: Stop admiring the mathematics of the monster and hit it!
Trouble: Think Fast, Die Young
Sample Invoke: I have nothing to lose, why not take the risk?!
Sample Compel: I have nothing to live for, why even try?; Sudden debilitating headaches
Stunt: Haven't The Time: Because Stefan is well aware of his own ticking clock, once per session he can rapidly develop a shortcut, workaround, or quick fix for a physical problem that would require an extended challenge. This may call for a Quick roll, and this quick fix can have side effects or unintended consequences.

Persona: Talos, XIV TEMPERANCE

Aspect: Programmatic Protector ("Ziodyne")
Sample Invoke: I protect who I'm told, without question or pause
Sample Compel: "Who I'm told" needs to be explicit
Aspect: BRONZE Active Protection ("Marakukaja")
Sample Invoke: Nothing will pierce the skin of Talos...
Sample Compel:...but that won't stop Stefan being the shot trap
Trouble: Incomplete and Inflexible Intelligence
Sample Invoke: Pursuing an unpursuable foe fills you with DETERMINATION
Sample Compel: Cancel attack, cancel attack, why can't I stop it aaaaa!
Stunt: Sardonic Hug: One of Talos' more infamous feats in mythology was heating himself up to glowing hot before embracing his enemies, functionally burning them to death with a hug. When an enemy is hit with an attack in a physical conflict, spend an FP to give them an aspect related to heat (e.g. I'M ON FIRE).

Approaches
+3 Clever
+2 Careful, Quick
+1 Flashy, Sneaky
+0 Forceful

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 10, 2016

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I'm just going to formally state my interest now and get a character up at some point in the next few weeks.

Unknown Quantity posted:

Well, I currently hang out in #swampthings on SynIRC, but if you'd like a place to leave messages regardless of whether I'm there or not, Here's a Discord!

EDIT: Also, I thought it went without saying, but do go ahead and put your Approaches in.

The Discord link's expired, by the way.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I'm just going to formally state my interest now and get a character up at some point in the next few weeks.

The Discord link's expired, by the way.
vvv nevermind, use that one

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 28, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Whoops, lemme fix that. Here ya go! New link, won't break ever!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Victor "Vic" Grant
Persona: Enjolras
Arcana: IV. The Emperor
Concept: Spirit of the Revolution

Re-posting to add approaches and sample compels/invokes

APPROACHES
+3 Forceful
+2 Flashy, Quick
+1 Clever, Careful
+0 Sneaky

ASPECTS: SELF
Spirit of the Revolution
Invoke: Command righteous anger when defending those who can't defend themselves.
Compel: Rush to the aid of someone in trouble, heedless of the danger to myself.

Semi-Reformed Delinquent
Invoke: Feats of strength and speed; knowledge of the not-exactly-legal; dirty fighting.
Compel: Talk back to an authority figure, for no other reason than they rub me the wrong way.

Secret Bookworm
Invoke: Apply relevant mythology to a supernatural situation.
Compel: Instinctively correct someone who obviously read the Wikipedia summary and nothing else.

Trouble: Wanted by the Mancini Boys
Invoke: "See this scar? It's from the last time I ran into those Mancini punks. They're no friends of mine, either."
Compel: Jimmy Mancini and his fellow delinquents show up to crash the party.

Stunt: Never Say Die. When I suffer a consequence, I get a bonus to my next Forceful Attack depending on the severity of the consequence. (+1 for Mild, +2 for Moderate, +3 for

ASPECTS: PERSONA
Voice for the Voiceless
Invoke: Convince someone down on their luck that I want to help.
Compel: Spend excess resources or time aiding the downtrodden in an inappropriate situation.

The People's Song
Invoke: Raise morale and encourage my friends to press forward.
Compel: Dissuade allies from retreating in a hopeless situation.

Trouble: Stubborn Die-Hard
Invoke: Take a beating and get back up.
Compel: Stick to my guns, even when it's obviously not the smart choice.

Stunt: Enhancement Domain. When I Forcefully Create Advantages and succeed, the created aspect grants an additional +1 to either Attack or Defend actions (my choice) when invoked.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Sam Whittaker

It all started about three months ago, when I was still enrolled at the Forrest Academy's Norton campus. There were all sorts of weird rumors about mirrors floating around campus at the time. Say this while looking into a mirror at midnight and you'll see your future, but don't look at this mirror or you'll see your worst fear, but if you say this... Whatever, you get the idea. The point is, there were a lot of rumors going around and I thought they were all the dumbest thing I ever heard. Or I did at first. As the semester went on I started thinking. This is the Forrest Academy. Everyone here is supposed to be smart. If they're all still talking about this, there's got to be some truth to it, right? So at midnight that night I went to the dorm bathroom, I put my hand on the mirror, I said the pact was sealed... and that's when things get hazy.

I knew there were webs. I knew there were spiders. I knew I wandered through an empty school for what felt like days but was, in retrospect, just an hour. And most importantly, I knew that I just did something incredibly important. And what do you do when you do something incredibly important? You tell people about it. And that... didn't go so well. Actually it went pretty badly. Turns out rambling about spiders and shadow dimensions ruins any academic or social credibility you have. Especially when no one else can seem to replicate whatever it is you did. Even more so if you refuse to let anyone say you didn't see what you saw.

So yeah. I, uh, don't go to Forrest Academy any more. Parents transferred me out to public school so I could "have a more normal social life somewhere I don't have a reputation". Guess what: I still have a reputation, now I just have a reputation and classes that are going to bore me to death. But it's not all bad! I, uh, I have a lot of time to catch up on games. And secret hours and occult powers are pretty nice, even if no one actually believes me about them... Yeah, who am I kidding, this sucks. But what can you do?

High Concept: Too Good To Succeed
My parents always said I should put my mind to good use. "Don't worry Samantha.", they'd say. "Just try your best and we'll support you all the way." But I start putting my mind to something weird, something out of most people's league, and they leave me out to dry. Why am I not surprised.

Trouble: Too Good To Admit Failure
My fault? How is any of this my fault? All I did was what I was taught to do. If people can't deal with that, that's their problem.

Aspect: Ex Child Prodigy
They published a story about me in the paper when I was twelve, y'know? Local Girl Creates Revolutionary New Flange With 3D Printer. It wasn't a big piece or anything, but still. For that month everyone knew just how smart I was. Now it's four years later, and everyone just knows how smart I should be.

Aspect: I Guess I’m A Meme Now
You ever have something get big on social media, and then all your notifications are about that for what feels like forever and you would give anything to stop hearing about it? Yeah, those posts about the shadow world I made got big. Real big. Laughingstock big. I swear, if one more person calls me the spider lady I'm going to punch them in the face.

Stunt: All Part Of The Plan!: When you take a consequence, gain a boost related to an opportunity that you definitely planned for and aren't just taking advantage of because you just realized that it's there.
---
Persona: Arachne, XVI - THE TOWER

Trouble: Cursed By The Divine
It was the gods that laid Arachne low. It was the gods that cursed her with this dreadful form. Arachne would do anything to get her vengeance, but let us be honest. The gods have ruined her utterly once, and they are willing and able to ruin her again.

Aspect: Horrifying Spider-Monster
Oh, no, it's fine. Arachne is used to stares. Chitinous exoskeletons and venom-dripping fangs tend to put people off. No, really, your reaction is perfectly understandable.

Aspect: Spiteful Artist
Tapestry is one of the oldest forms of art. And what is the purpose of art but to reveal the flaws and foibles of those in power? And who, I ask, is the greatest weaver of all time if not Arachne? Oh, sure, some would say that Arachne's works are a bit too pointed, or that her definition of 'those in power' tends towards 'people who have insulted her'. In fact, those people are the subject of her next wallscroll!

Stunt: Weaver’s Work: +2 to Carefully creating a web-based advantage.

Approaches
Careful +0
Clever +3
Flashy +2
Forceful +2
Quick +1
Stealthy +1

I'll be editing in more fluff for all my aspects later, but for now let's just get the basic concept up.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 2, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
:siren: One week left to go! We've reached the halfway point! Continue reading for additional bonus objectives! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crdQCmSNC9E

So, given that we've reached the halfway point, usually this is the part where the OP would make a bunch of personalized questions for every applicant. But I feel like that's punishing to those who only notice the thread towards the end, so instead, I've got a few bonus questions/objectives for you all, both current and future. Answering these is not mandatory, but it helps show that you remain interested in this game, and might help you better flesh out your character.

1.) To start off, a simple curiosity: do you fear the unknown? Will you go where no one else has gone before without a second thought, or get cold feet?

2.) To what length would you be willing to go to achieve your lifelong goal? Do you even have such a goal yet? It is alright if you do not.

3.) Were you to be offered a chance to redo your entire life over again, otherwise unaltered besides one change, what would it be? Alternatively, why wouldn't you accept this offer?

4.) Do you believe in fate, destiny, or any similar supernatural force that guides people's lives on a set track?

5.) Are you willing to accept full responsibility for your actions? Would you be willing to sign a contract stating such terms?

Lastly, an out of character question.

1) Given the final question in the in-character set, I imagine some of you are wondering if I will be looking for a potential Wild Card. The short answer is "no." The long answer is in the form of a question: if selected, would you and your character be fine with/be capable of spearheading an operation? Obviously, by the nature of tabletop, there's no need for a leader, but people tend to gravitate towards one or two people who are the first to make suggestions. If you feel you can act as a de facto leader and/or feel brave enough to have the label of "Wild Card", put a ♤ by your character's name in your application. This will not change your pick eligibility. It only means I have a better idea of how people feel they'd fit within a group dynamic.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

quote:

To start off, a simple curiosity: do you fear the unknown? Will you go where no one else has gone before without a second thought, or get cold feet?

Fear it? Not really. In fact, I find the unknown fascinating. After all, it's just something else to discover and learn about. There's just something amazing about learning and discovering the world around me that I find intoxicating. I personally enjoy the pursuit as much as finding the solution. It's why I can just stay at home and read for hours. It's satisfying in learning about things you didn't know about and the struggle to get to that point andI still find it hard to quantify that feeling into words. Still, normally I would prefer to research the area we're going to beforehand to have a basic understanding of where I am going. However, if no one has been there before, I'm more than happy to investigate. Wouldn't it be amazing if we found something that no one else knew even existed? What if it could help our understanding of the world even more? I honestly do not know if I could stop myself.

quote:

To what length would you be willing to go to achieve your lifelong goal? Do you even have such a goal yet? It is alright if you do not.

My lifelong goal? I don't really have one. Unless you count understanding the world as a goal, in that case, I would say that. I've always been curious and have been encouraged by my family to pursue the things I didn't understand. Additionally, I've always found myself being awkward around people. I tended to find books and information more interesting than people as I grew up which obviously didn't do wonders for my social skills. I thought that if I studied about people and watched them, maybe I'd be able to understand them. Sadly, so far that hypothesis has been disproven.

If I had a lifelong goal, however, I would imagine I'd go far to achieve it. If it's something I really loved, I'd probably go to the ends of the earth to achieve it. To a realistic degree of course. Maybe it depended on the magnitude of the goal. If it was an important one, I can't imagine there would be much stopping me.

quote:

Were you to be offered a chance to redo your entire life over again, otherwise unaltered besides one change, what would it be? Alternatively, why wouldn't you accept this offer?

I would make myself more assertive in terms of getting what I want. I've always had problems with disappointing people, so I tend to get caught up in things I normally wouldn't do just because I didn't want to ruin their expectations. I've even gotten in trouble with school for giving study notes and answers to homework because of it. It doesn't help that my voice in naturally quiet in comparison to others. One time, in class, the teacher couldn't hear me give an answer to one of her questions and she made me shout in front of everyone. It was so humiliating and I could just feel everyone's eyes on me. If I was more assertive, I wouldn't get caught up in silly schemes that just get me in trouble and people would stop thinking they could just walk all over me.

quote:

Do you believe in fate, destiny, or any similar supernatural force that guides people's lives on a set track?

Well, there's evidence of the existence of such a supernatural force due to the existence of Pythia. She's already made quite a few predictions about the future that have come true, so I would have to assume that she has the ability to see the destiny that a person has. I would imagine it being like the skip scene or fast forward button when you're watching a movie. The more I think about it like that, the more depressing it gets for me. The idea that your life is determined when you are born the moment you come into existence and there's nothing you can do about it. Doesn't just sound so sad? It's been something that's been on my mind ever since I met Pythia and witnessed her powers. Am I really just stuck on this supposed path that Pythia can see? Her abilities suggest that destiny is really a thing, but I guess a part of me still hopes that I can fight against it. Maybe I just don't understand it enough...

quote:

Are you willing to accept full responsibility for your actions? Would you be willing to sign a contract stating such terms?

Why would a contract such as that exist? Who'd watch over the logistics of something like that? It seems a bit ridiculous to me. Then again, I met Pythia and all the crazy stuff that's been going on around Norton should be a sign that ridiculousness was going to be something I probably will be encountering. If that is the case, I am willing to accept full responsibility. I could try to argue about the impact other people have on my decision making, but, in the end, I'm still the one who makes that decision. I'm ready to accept that hypothetical contract and the responsibility that comes with it. Maybe it would lead me to understanding myself a little bit more.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Christie Fairchild

quote:

To start off, a simple curiosity: do you fear the unknown? Will you go where no one else has gone before without a second thought, or get cold feet?
The unknown, huh? I can’t say I’ve ever really given much thought about it, to be honest. Fear… I don’t know. On the one hand, I’m all for new opportunities and making something of myself… but my parents aren’t going to be around forever, you know? I have my future to worry about, and possibly theirs too. Taking unnecessary risks when I’m doing pretty well for myself in school doesn’t sound like the best idea I’ve had. Still, I can’t deny either that breaking out of routine and trying something I know nothing about could be both fruitful and enjoyable. Hmm, hard to say, really. I would say it depends on the situation, but I’d likely take the plunge. Maybe not without second thoughts, or third even, but I’d take it nonetheless.

quote:

To what length would you be willing to go to achieve your lifelong goal? Do you even have such a goal yet? It is alright if you do not.
It’s somewhat embarrassing to say, but I don’t exactly have a lifelong goal, despite all the effort I put in. I dunno; nothing’s really called out to me, if that makes any sense. That isn’t to say I don’t enjoy what I do, mind. But I haven’t had anything drive me to pursue it for the rest of my life. I hope to find something like that someday, but until then I continue to try my best in general, and keep my eyes peeled.

As to what length… I’d do just about anything, so long as it didn’t involve stepping over others. Might be that it’s a more effective method, but I couldn’t live with myself if I had to hurt other people to further my own progress. I won’t lie, and say that it leaves me open to being taken advantage of. But that’s who I am, how I’ve been raised, and I’m fine with it. I… I had my doubts, back when my father collapsed. Yet when he returned home, I could tell that he’d go through all of it again if he had to without a moment of hesitation. You really can’t help but admire someone like that. At least, I can’t. Anyways, point is that I’d give it more than 100%, but never at the cost of ruining the lives of others.

quote:

Were you to be offered a chance to redo your entire life over again, otherwise unaltered besides one change, what would it be? Alternatively, why wouldn't you accept this offer?
It shouldn’t be a surprise that the first thing that came to my mind was the incident with my father. I’m sure that if I thought about it more, I could come up with other answers, but that’s the one that sticks out the most to me. All I would’ve had to do is leave my phone on this one time, and I could have been there for my dad. Yet… what would that have really changed? I mean, I wouldn’t feel nearly as guilty about the mess as I do now, sure. But dad still would have taken on more than he could handle at work. He still would have been hospitalized. He still would have left all of us worried sick. I don’t think there’s any one choice that would change that. In other words, all that would differ is that I wouldn’t have to feel like I failed my family. But I did. I wasn’t there when they needed me, and altering the past to pretend that I was would make me feel even worse.

It’s like that quote. “Character is what you are in the dark.” No one else besides me would ever know about the one, small, so inconsequential in the big picture of things change. But I would know. I would know that just so I could be satisfied with myself, I’d actually redo my entire life over again. And it disgusts me, frightens me, because I considered it. I truly, honestly had to consider whether or not I would really make that choice.

It’s hard sometimes, coming home. Neither mom or dad blame me. They’re too good of heart for that, and I’ll always love them for it. But things haven’t been the same between me and my younger brother since the incident. And it hurts the way his eyes accuse me. Not just because we’re not as close anymore, but because I’m not certain I can disagree with him. However… running away from my actions would just be trading one source of guilt for another. I’d like to think that I’d turn away the offer, and sleep in the bed that I’ve made.

quote:

Do you believe in fate, destiny, or any similar supernatural force that guides people's lives on a set track?
Do I believe in the supernatural? Of course. I mean, there’s Baldr after all. I haven’t exactly seen any spirits or demons, but I can’t help but imagine they’re out there if he exists. But as for fate, or some other force guiding our way in life? Absolutely not. That’s partially because I refuse to accept that all of the effort I put in, that everyone puts in, is all predetermined by some higher power. That my thoughts, my feelings, and my actions are all being led around like I’m a puppet on a string. Just the image makes me sick.

But even worse than that is the other part: the idea that every trial and tribulation we go through is planned out on some type of incredibly messed up timeline, from the moment we’re born to the moment we die. Just think about that, would you? Anytime you’re caught up in something that’s painful, it was all part of an elaborate design.

I guess… I guess there’s some people that would prefer it that way. That the problems that come to them aren’t a result of their conscious decisions, but had been intended all along. That my father collapsed not because he chose to bite off far more than he can chew, but because God or the Gods or whomever meant for it to be. That I hadn’t been there when my family needed me because I was just another piece on a very, very long game of chess. It sounds nice, I admit. But it happened, and it happened because of the choices we made. Nothing else.

quote:

Are you willing to accept full responsibility for your actions? Would you be willing to sign a contract stating such terms?
I think it should be fully obvious by this point, shouldn’t it? Even before what happened with my father, I was never the kind of person to make excuses when I made mistakes. I just tried to make the best of it, however I could, and made amends where I had to. And after? Well, let’s just say that for all my remorse over what happened, I found in it a strange sense of resolve. So yeah, I’d sign that contract. Responsibility is one of the heaviest burdens there is, but I’m willing to shoulder it. I have to, to make amends.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 25, 2016

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Fear of the Unknown? The unknwon is the world outside and if you fear that then what possibility do you have to face what's inside? You gotta accept the fact that the world is scary, but never forget that the unknown is just an experience that you have not yet had! And for me; I will stand up to all that is infront of me! My head held high to guide my friends forward. After all someone has to take on the darkness; and what better method than with music, babe?

quote:

My goal is simple; to become the best visual kei artist in the world, but at the same time, I guess my real goal is to have as many friends as I can. While I can always go forward the friends that I have are the ones that give me the strength; whether they are my band mates or friends out of the band they all give me strength to fight for what I want in life. I would be willing to do anything for my friends if its something to make them happy. The social connections I have are so valuable to me.

quote:

Change a part of my life? Why would I? the life I have has lead me here, has gotten me the friends that I have! Sure I can be a bit stuck up or act with a bit of a superiority complex but thats just who I am; my friends like me for who I am so why would I do anything that migh get rid of these friends? Man that offer is whack and I am not going to stand for someone suggesting I change my past! To change the past is to change the very nature of who you are! Don't look back to the past; keep your head held high and continue walking forwards! The past makes you who you are but the present is what defines you!

quote:

the thought of predestination? Well it cannot be helped if that is the case because well I mean Personas exist and if they are the real mythological figures then does that not make the mythological figures real? And a lot of them had a history of predestination so yah know. But for me? Fate sucks. I refuse to allow fate to control me and my friends, with apollo at my side I will fight for the future that I want! Not the future that fate has in store for me! And I will fight for my friends to have the future that they want as well. In fact; FIGHTING ALL AROUND AGAINST THE FUTURE THAT FATE HAS FOR ALL OF HUMANITY!

quote:

Responsibility? My actions are my own; so of course I will take responsibility whether good or bad they were no one else's decision but mine thus I must man up and take control of what I do or say! I would sign such a contract because I am who I am and to take responsibility for what I say and do is how I am going to get to those who are stuck in the duldrums; the ones who cannot escape the pains of mediocrity and see the bright colors of this world!

-----

My character would be willing to act as a de facto leader and he is brave enough to take all the responsibilities of the wild card label. He is strongwilled and strong hearted but he will never turn his back on his friends and those that he cares about; even his parents he never turned away from when they were angry he played some visual kei song on stage.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Unknown Quantity posted:

1.) To start off, a simple curiosity: do you fear the unknown? Will you go where no one else has gone before without a second thought, or get cold feet?

I suppose so! Though now that I think about it, most things that are unknown to me are normal for everyone else, so they're not really unknown, huh? Still, I think it's important to be brave and venture forth! Every step into the unknown reveals a little bit of the world to you. But if it's the unknown like the place I came from... Where nothing's determined and everything is nothing... I'm pretty scared of that. I don't want to go back to that place at all! The undetermined is awful. The unknown is just something you haven't laid eyes upon yet. I'd gladly charge headlong into the unknown if it meant I never have to go back there.

Unknown Quantity posted:

2.) To what length would you be willing to go to achieve your lifelong goal? Do you even have such a goal yet? It is alright if you do not.

Life... long? I'm not really sure what you mean. Wait, you mean people make plans for their whole lives? How... I mean... why? Why would you tie yourself down like that, deprive yourself of all the things that might come your way instead. Do those people ever change their mind about their goal? I would hope they do, otherwise that's such a sad thought! It's tantamount to keep an open mind! Hmm, but maybe wanting to learn about the world counts? If it can be open-ended like that then maybe I can get behind this. I think I'd go to great lengths to see more of the world, yes.

Unknown Quantity posted:

3.) Were you to be offered a chance to redo your entire life over again, otherwise unaltered besides one change, what would it be? Alternatively, why wouldn't you accept this offer?

What? What what what!? What is this ridiculous notion? Go back and change a whole life? My whole life? Okay, so that isn't a lot but what an awful question! Why would anybody do this? That... that... Gah! What happens to the other life you had then? Is it gone? Would I just be in Norton instead and then this me would just cease to exist? Not that I wouldn't wanna be in Norton, but, but... no! I like Honey Bee and I made my choice to be here and I'm not gonna change that, cause if people just go around changing the things they picked all willy-nilly then what meaning's left in the things you choose? And that other you, the one that used to exist is just gone. Stabbed through the heart by themselves and left to drift in the darkness! Undone and forsaken. Shame on you for suggesting it! I don't want anything to do with ridiculousness! It's impossible anyway! I hope!

Unknown Quantity posted:

4.) Do you believe in fate, destiny, or any similar supernatural force that guides people's lives on a set track?

Not at all! There might be things you're meant to do, but there's always a choice if you follow that path. If things are already determined for you then... then what do you reckon is the point of anything? You have o be able to make a choice. The things you do have to mean something or you're just flailing in futility against the darkness. If what you choose doesn't matter... No! I don't even wanna think about that! There's always a choice. There is...

Unknown Quantity posted:

5.) Are you willing to accept full responsibility for your actions? Would you be willing to sign a contract stating such terms?

Uhm... that seems pretty serious. Isn't everyone already responsible for their actions? Why would you need that in writing? Does that mean if I don't sign it I wouldn't have to take responsibility for what happens? Not that I'd want that or anything! But... can I sleep on this? No? Okay, fine, I guess I'll sign it! Eesh. Like it wasn't stressful enough to make choices sometimes already, here's a spooky contract for you! Seriously.

Unknown Quantity posted:

Lastly, an out of character question.

1) Given the final question in the in-character set, I imagine some of you are wondering if I will be looking for a potential Wild Card. The short answer is "no." The long answer is in the form of a question: if selected, would you and your character be fine with/be capable of spearheading an operation? Obviously, by the nature of tabletop, there's no need for a leader, but people tend to gravitate towards one or two people who are the first to make suggestions. If you feel you can act as a de facto leader and/or feel brave enough to have the label of "Wild Card", put a ♤ by your character's name in your application. This will not change your pick eligibility. It only means I have a better idea of how people feel they'd fit within a group dynamic.

Good lord no, do not let Viola be in charge. Find the way maybe, but she's no leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Lucas Piedmont ♤

Most people are good-natured, and hate the sight of injustice.

Most people are selfish and lazy, and try to avoid the sight of injustice when they can.

You cannot change the world by yourself. So the thing to do is force the people to face the evils of the world and make them do something about it.

Am I harsh? People say that a lot. I am Lucas Piedmont, reporter for the school news paper. And I don't become a reporter just to write happy articles about festivals. Norton is filled with corruption and cruelty, and this school is not exempt. Some people live in great wealth and have power that allows them to abuse others. It starts with a rich man's son getting away with things here, and it just moves up. The other students, the student council, the teachers, they often prefer to turn away from that. To pretend it doesn't happen. I force them to look upon it, shame them into doing the right thing.

It gets me some admiration, but not many friends. I don't want them to sit back and 'admire', I want them get stand up and help out. But everyone is always busy with frivolous, silly things. We're not little kids any more! If you know what you're doing is right, you should do more, drat it.

Of course, there have been things going on that I cannot write about. Not without more information. Not without more evidence that it is not a psychotic break or something. I was wandering through the worse parts of the city. Rumor had it that some students had been harassing homeless, and I wanted to get to the bottom of this. See justice done. I ended up missing the last bus, so I was there late at night, with my old cell phone out of batteries. The place suddenly changed. The moon turned green, all lights went out. There were... things there. Caricatures of humanity encroaching on me. I tried to escape them, but found myself cornered.

It was then I felt an... urge to take out the notebook I had in my hand. I wrote a word on it. Persona. As I finished it, the ink ignited, but I took the flaming paper and held it up, seeing how the flames transformed the paper into a card, then grew brighter and larger, but didn't burn me, until out of the flames came a figure, winged, with a horn in one hand, and a sword in the other. "I am Thou, and thou art I. Thou, who wouldst raise thine voice to denounce the wicked and rouse the righteous, thou shall not be silenced this day! I am Gabriel, the one who foretells the coming of change!"

And then he took his horn and sounded it, making the shadows writhe in pain, before flying on top of them and burned them into vanishing. Then he looked at me and vanished.

I... am unsure what to make of this.

Lucas Piedmont
Persona: Gabriel
Arcana: Strength
Concept: Driven reporter

APPROACHES
+3 Clever
+2 Careful, Flashy
+1 Quick, Stealthy
+0 Forceful

CONCEPT: Driven Reporter: I'm a reporter. I geto the truth, and I make sure all know it
Invoke: Convince someone to tell the truth, search for clues to something, convince people to believe him
Compel: Investigate a secret when it might be dangerous, refuse to accept the obvious answer, spreading lies

Denouncer of the Wicked I need to do more than just give a bunch of facts. If something bad happens, I need to make sure everyone KNOWS what is being done is unacceptable. That something needs to be done.
Invoke: Shame someone into doing the right thing, break someone's reputation by revealing their faults.
Compel: Call someone out on their faults when it's a bad idea, not forgive someone's mistakes

City Boy: You don't get to know what's going on by sitting in your classroom. I spent a lot of time going through the city.
Invoke: Know things about Norton, be known among people there.
Compel: Be known as a snoop in Norton, out of his element when not in the city.

Trouble: Unforgiving Demands People are counting on us. What are you going to do that's more important than this? Watch TV, play video games, go on dates? You know what the right thing to do is. The question is if you're going to do it. if you aren't, I'll just do it on my own.
Invoke: Ignore fatigue and hopelessness, drive others into pushing their limits
Compel: Show callousness to people's complaints about tiredness or despair, push himself too far

Stunt: Speak Truth to Power: When confronting someone in a position of authority in a Flashy way, get a +2.

ASPECTS: PERSONA

Aspect: Driven Reporter: Rejoice, for I bring glad tidings
Invoke: To get messages out to others, to inspire or reassure others
Compel: To speak truth when lies would help, to speak up when it would have been better to be silent.

Aspect: Holy Angel (Hama) The wicked shall fall before the righteous!
Invoke: Battle creatures of demonic or infernal origin, befriend more 'sacred' beings.
Compel: Weakness to infernal powers, intolerance to evil

Aspect: Heaven's Trumpet: My trumpet sounds, and the world shakes, for it heralds change
Invoke: To inspire allies, terrify opponents or make lots of noise
Compel: To make a lot of noise, to try and force people to make change.

Stunt: See all evil, hear all evil, denounce all evil. The false, the corrupt, the cruel, let them seek shelter in the darkest shadows! None escape judgement forever.
With a Careful roll, Gabriel can detect 'evil' in people, either exposing individuals as wicked, or hidden evil people. This is not exactly a subtle thing.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 9, 2016

• Locked thread