Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Unknown Quantity posted:

1.) To start off, a simple curiosity: do you fear the unknown? Will you go where no one else has gone before without a second thought, or get cold feet?

2.) To what length would you be willing to go to achieve your lifelong goal? Do you even have such a goal yet? It is alright if you do not.

3.) Were you to be offered a chance to redo your entire life over again, otherwise unaltered besides one change, what would it be? Alternatively, why wouldn't you accept this offer?

4.) Do you believe in fate, destiny, or any similar supernatural force that guides people's lives on a set track?

5.) Are you willing to accept full responsibility for your actions? Would you be willing to sign a contract stating such terms?

1. Of course I don't. I don't even know what it feels like to get cold feet about something. Does it really feel like your feet are cold? I don't really understand how people don't like experiencing new things. They're of course the most interesting. Even being around Mom so much I don't really get it. She's always making weird expressions and keeping me from doing stuff. She says I'm making her go gray early. I don't like worrying her, but I don't see what the problem is.

2. Well I don't really have an idea of what I want to do yet. Nothing in particular has really stuck out. Though, if there was a way to make this magic stuff into a career I'd be all over it. I really want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. I don't really care if I can't have a steady job or settle down trying to figure out everything these earrings mean. I want to meet whoever left them there. Yeah, that's it. Someone had to.

3. I don't think so. Like I could have the accident not happen. That's an obvious choice. But then I wouldn't discover the unseen world. At least I think they're related. I'm happy enough now. The way people talk about fear I'm not sure if I'd want ti anyway.

4. Well, I don't think so. Though certainly a lot of pin point coincidences in my life. But I don't feel like I was chosen for it. Just that one thing leads to another. I don't think I'd find the earrings unless I had the accident and my perceptions changed. But the accident seems a contrived way to set that all up if it was fate. I guess the creator would be inscrutable. But I don't know. A continuous creation so micromanaged would seem, pointless? Well, I guess it would be like writing a book? And there'd be gods sharing their creation like an author gets published. Goofy yeah? I feel like it's more like an experiment. And the demiurge tries to nudge things. I wonder if the third time was the charm with the whole make religion thing. Or if it just gave up. It's easy to think the experiment isn't going well, but there's an eternity to improve yeah? And things are constantly getting better even if the more things change the more they stay the same.

5. Uh sure? I don't see why not.

-----------

Rose would be happy to lead the charge but would probably be a disaster of a leader with an undeveloped sense for danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Unknown Quantity posted:

1.) To start off, a simple curiosity: do you fear the unknown? Will you go where no one else has gone before without a second thought, or get cold feet?

Fear the unknown? C'mon, the unknown is interesting. Why wouldn't I look into it whenever I get the chance? As for that second question, give me some credit here. Do I look like someone who has time to get cold feet? Besides, being afraid of nothing is dumb. If you're going to be scared, be scared of something that's actually there.

(Sam is actually really afraid of spooky places where nothing threatening actually happens. She's just more afraid of ever admitting that she's a flawed human being and isn't a living embodiment of being too smart to care.)

quote:

2.) To what length would you be willing to go to achieve your lifelong goal? Do you even have such a goal yet? It is alright if you do not.

Tell you what. If you want to know that badly, just wait and see what I do.

(Sam knows that goals and aspirations are something that you're supposed to have, and that saying she doesn't have any would make her look like the saddest person in the world. She also knows that having incredibly high expectations placed on her as she breezes through whatever academic subject she happens to drift into works just as well and definitely won't cause her to snap under pressure in the near future.)

(Just don't tell her she already snapped three months ago, when she started yelling about shadow hours and her parents went from proud to disappointed. Sam would rather not think about that.)

quote:

3.) Were you to be offered a chance to redo your entire life over again, otherwise unaltered besides one change, what would it be? Alternatively, why wouldn't you accept this offer?

No, for two reasons. One, I already told you everything went wrong because people wouldn't listen, not because I did anything wrong, and I'm not about to go back in time just to do worse. Two, there is no way anything that could give me a chance like that wouldn't have a trick up their sleeve that would just ruin me. I'm not about to make some Twilight Zone deal with the devil for something I don't need in the first place.

quote:

4.) Do you believe in fate, destiny, or any similar supernatural force that guides people's lives on a set track?

Fate is innately impossible to prove. You're fated to go against what fate has planned for you and all that. Thus, it is innately impossible for me to ever give a rat's rear end about fate.

quote:

5.) Are you willing to accept full responsibility for your actions? Would you be willing to sign a contract stating such terms?

Why wouldn't I be? I'd need to get something out of that contract, but sure, sign me up.

(Sam does not understand what taking full responsibility for your actions actually means.)

quote:

1) Given the final question in the in-character set, I imagine some of you are wondering if I will be looking for a potential Wild Card. The short answer is "no." The long answer is in the form of a question: if selected, would you and your character be fine with/be capable of spearheading an operation? Obviously, by the nature of tabletop, there's no need for a leader, but people tend to gravitate towards one or two people who are the first to make suggestions. If you feel you can act as a de facto leader and/or feel brave enough to have the label of "Wild Card", put a ♤ by your character's name in your application. This will not change your pick eligibility. It only means I have a better idea of how people feel they'd fit within a group dynamic.

Sam would immediately assume she's the leader of any group she'd end up in, and is thus completely unqualified to lead anything.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Vance Soli ♤

quote:

I can't pretend I'm the type to barrel forth into the unknown, danger be damned. That kind of bravado just ain't in me. But the world's a big place, and poo poo gets weird out there. We've got to try to understand as much of it as we can, that's the only way we move forward. You can't turn away from that. If you don't go into the breach, you'll never know what's there. If the chance came and I passed it up... it'd eat away at me. I couldn't stand to live like that.

quote:

Look. I'm nobody, okay? I'm just some rear end in a top hat. I'm going to finish school, go to another school for a few years, finish that, wind up in a lovely 9-to-5 barely making enough money to fend off the loan collectors, and if I'm lucky I'll find something I like doing enough the rest of the day that I won't want to die. That's my life. That's the world we live in. That's the American dream, baby. The last thing I need is some grand fuckin' ambition to chase after like a god drat chump.

quote:

Changing the past is just asking to get nailed with some monkey's paw poo poo. I mean, all the stories end the same way, right? You kill Hitler and the Nazis win. You go back to save JFK and end up shooting him yourself. A butterfly flaps its wings and a tornado nukes the town. You were your dad all along. Every time, the conclusion is the same: you can't change the past. You just gotta find some way to live with it.

But it's easy to take the high ground when you've got nothing at stake. The fact is, I don't have anything to change. There's no horrible trauma lurking in my past, no crippling regret slowly corrupting my psyche. My biggest problem is my lovely caustic personality, and time travel ain't gonna fix that. Give me a good enough reason and, well, maybe it's not such a simple choice. Nobody's as good at resisting temptation as they think they are.

quote:

I believe in physics and neurons and the cold, dispassionate whims of random chance. And I guess I believe in supernatural ghost monsters from another dimension, given the evidence at hand. But I don't believe in fate. There is no master plan. Life has no moral, no meaning, it just is. You take what you've got and you try to make the most of it. That's what it means to be human. That's why being human matters. I don't want my decisions reduced to the self-fulfilling machinations of some cosmic chessmaster.

quote:

All I've ever wanted is to do the right thing. I don't always know what that is, and sometimes I screw up, but I live by my conscience. Even when I do poo poo I end up regretting, I know why I did it, I know I made a mistake, and I'm willing to own up. That's all you can really ask for. So yeah, gently caress me up. I'll accept the consequences.

-----------------------

As for leadership, Vance isn't really a take-charge kind of guy. He's not interested in leading or following, he'd prefer to hang back and do his own thing. But at the same time, he's got a strongly-defined sense of right and wrong, he's absolutely inclined to speak up if he thinks the group is making a mistake, and despite his bitter personality he's level-headed and reasonable when confronted with difficult situations. He considers himself a really caustic, critical person who only tears people down, but behind that prickly attitude he's more compassionate and constructive than he realizes, and you can trust him to carefully analyze any given problem and make an honest, good faith effort to find the best solution. He wouldn't be anybody's first pick for a leader, especially not his own, but things don't always work out the way you want them to.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 5, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Unknown Quantity posted:

I don't fear the unknown. The unknown presents a chance for new opportunities, injecting a little bit of chaos into order livens life up! But without a second thought? No way. Anybody who rushes into unknown situations is bound to accidentally bonk their head on something. You should really assess everything first, then think about going where no one else has gone before. Like the saying goes, you need to look before you leap.

Unknown Quantity posted:

Of course I have a goal! I wouldn't have got my job at Maxima Cosmetica if I didn't want to get into the make-up business. I mean, racing is fun but it's not a real job. Look, I've been working my butt off ever since high school started to get to where I wanted. Mom has to work all the time, so I had to get used to doing everything myself. I spend free time with extra-curriculars and volunteering, when I'm not at school or at my job. I almost have no time to even have fun with my bike. If that's not working hard to achieve my goals then I don't know what else I'm supposed to do.

Unknown Quantity posted:

It would probably be mom and dad staying together. I know mom says dad was a terrible partner, but I never really knew him when they were together. And I hardly ever see him now, even when he's meant to visit me. So I guess it's just… curiosity? I don't know what my life might be like if dad was there. Maybe mom and me wouldn't have to work so hard, maybe we'd see each other more and be a happier family? I don't want to change my life here now with her, I like it, but just how might things be different if it all changed like that?

Unknown Quantity posted:

Life is what you make of it. The past stopped existing yesterday, and tomorrow is forever in the unknowable future. There is no fate. There is no destiny. There is nothing preordained for any of us. Human nature is far too complicated and chaotic for that. Simple fact of life. You just need to grab the now by the collar and shake the living bejeezus out of it. You know, live life to its fullest.

Unknown Quantity posted:

Uh, yeah I guess. I've never been a person to try and get out of trouble. And I'm pretty sure I signed something that said that when I started working at Maxima Cosmetica anyway.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Unknown Quantity posted:

1) Given the final question in the in-character set, I imagine some of you are wondering if I will be looking for a potential Wild Card. The short answer is "no." The long answer is in the form of a question: if selected, would you and your character be fine with/be capable of spearheading an operation? Obviously, by the nature of tabletop, there's no need for a leader, but people tend to gravitate towards one or two people who are the first to make suggestions. If you feel you can act as a de facto leader and/or feel brave enough to have the label of "Wild Card", put a ♤ by your character's name in your application. This will not change your pick eligibility. It only means I have a better idea of how people feel they'd fit within a group dynamic.

Heat would probably be an excellent leader, but she shirks the mantle with determination and would never let people look up to her for any sort of leadership role. She likes staying in the background and helping everybody else do their things.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Never done the FATE thing before, but eager to give it a go. Stunts are a bit tricky so they may be subject to change. I'll see about the questions a little later.

James Morganson

Arcana: Chariot

Awakening
I barely even remember the specifics of the fight; I hadn’t been taking my extra studies seriously enough and I think the tutor squealed? Dad wanted me to move me out of the family estate in Honey Bee and come with him to the city permanently, so I could go to a “proper school” and start to learn the family business. This wasn’t the first time this had come up. Now that I’m old enough Dad started to spend most of the week in the big city looking after his company, and he either comes back for the weekend or I spend the weekend there. It’s really getting to him how little we see each other now and I think that’s why he was pushing so much. I laughed it off like every other time, but he kept at it, prodding and whining. And then I said no outright and he was so hurt. He hid it well, but I stung him bad. Then he started to insist and things got a little heated.

He bought up how good it was in the city and I pointed out that I wouldn’t be able to walk in the woods. He asked why it was so important and that I could always go to the park or get the train back on the weekend. Turnabout is fair play, so I asked how he felt training to and from the city everyday. Bad move on my part, that just gave him more ammo saying how he wouldn’t have to if I just came to the city. I wasn’t having any of it though, the city is boring and there’s nothing for me to do. There’s no lakes to swim and fish in, no trails to hike through, no hills to climb and I asked him how I was supposed to train for my dream if I was in a city surrounded by concrete. And then he said my dreams were stupid.

Okay, maybe he didn’t. Maybe it was more like how it was time for me to mature a bit, put away childish hobbies and get on with growing up. Maybe it was about how he was worried I was going to grow up a direction-less NEET. Maybe it was about how disappointed he was that I wasn’t taking my responsibility as heir to the company seriously. I snapped.

I said things to him I am never going to be able to unsay; cruel, hurtful things specifically to cause as much hurt as possible but I was so angry. So angry about him abandoning the home mum died in, abandoning the home I had lived in all of my life, so angry about him abandoning me for his company.

I ran out of the house just as it was striking midnight and went straight for the forest. I had been walking those paths since I was 8 years old and I knew how to lose myself there. It was a while before I realised I was lost. Being as angry as I was, I forgot to be scared. I had never gotten lost in these woods before. I trudged through unfamiliar terrain, rage fuelling my unending march. And then I saw the grove. As angry as I was, looking up through a clear sky calmed me. It was so quiet as I stood there, just looking up, basking in that island of calm surrounded by an ocean of anger. And it was so quiet! No drat train car honking through the night, nothing from the highway that passes by town and no planes up over head. Just the chirping and squeaking of the birds and animals, like some lost world untouched by man.

Every night is the same now, an extra hour in the day where everything else stops. I don’t have to think about dad or the city or anything. I can just explore; old places become new and new places pop in and out every night. And every night I go exploring.

High Concept: For Freedom!
Born to late to explore the sea, born to early to explore the stars. Born at just the right time to hike all across the nearby forests and mountains though! I remember my first camping “trip”; I was 8 years old and dad let me pitch a small tent in our garden. It’s a big garden sure, but hardly a trip into the heart of darkness. Still, something just clicked in me. The call of the wild, the lack of a bed time. No rules or expectations, just me, the warm summer air and the 5 chocolate bars I managed to sneak along with me. The trip didn’t last long, interrupted when one of the maids found me puking and bought me back inside. But ever since, that freedom has been something I’ve looked for ever since.
Sample Invoke: fighting for my freedom, stubbornness and willpower.
Sample Compel: being rebellious and contrary for the sake of it, “MAH RIGHTS”.

Personal Aspect One: Junior Explorers Club
I’ve always loved exploring. I charted every inch of the forest around Honey Bee when I was 12. Whenever I can, I train over to the nearby national parks and just spend the whole day in the wild. Dad can’t come with me any more but that's okay I guess. It was never really his sort of thing to begin with. There’s little else new I can do until I’m old enough to take trips out of the country on my own and who knows how old that is where Dad is concerned! But even though I've scoured every part of that old forest, it doesn’t stop me spending my time retreading the old stomping grounds.
Sample Invoke: exploring the forest, interacting with nature/animals, basic survival skills.
Sample Compel: urban survival, being a huge nature loving dork.

Personal Aspect Two: Apple of Daddies Eye
I nearly always get my way as far as dad is concerned. We lost mum when I was really young and I don’t have any other siblings. Aside from a grandparent in some retirement home in the city and a few cousins we don’t talk about, dad is the only family I have. Well, unless you count some of the servants as family. Well, point is, dad dotes on me. Like, to an absurd degree. Every birthday is new and expensive camping gear and every Christmas we go on some big trip. Last year, we went skiing in Switzerland! It helps that Dad is like, the richest guy in Honeybee. I don't know what it's like over in the city but I don't actually care! Although the way dad is going on and on about moving there...
Sample Invoke: getting my own way, being the son of the richest man in town, “my dad employs your dad”.
Sample Compel: being a spoilt little rich brat, family responsibilities, poser “friends” looking for handouts.

Personal Trouble: Heir Apparent
Oh my god, my dad is the worst! Always so clingy and controlling! I know he wants me to inherit the business but I just don’t care about it. I want to climb Mount Everest, hike across the Arctic and go to places no one has ever been before! How is“business sense” going to help me with that. It’s so god drat infuriating it makes me want to go into the forest and not ever come back.

Personal Stunt: Cloak of Leaves
Because I am so at home in the wild, I get +2 when I sneakily create advantages when in natural places.

Careful +3
Forceful +2
Quick +2
Sneaky +1
Clever +1
Flashy +0

quote:

William Wallace

High Concept: For Freedom!
Born in 1270, William Wallace was a knight of noble birth who began Scotlands slow forward march to independence from England. Although captured and executed before the end of the rebellion, Scotland was eventually freed from English rule some 23 years after his death. Since then, he has been the symbol of rebellion and freedom, fighting for his and his countrymen’s rights.
Sample Invoke/Compel: “They can take our lives, but they will never take, our freedom!”

Persona Aspect One: Noble Knight
Sir William was a chivalrous Knight in life. A winner of many battles, he lead Scotlands armies against continual English invasion.
Sample Invoke: glorious combat, chivalry
Sample Compel: chivalry in the face of underhanded tactics, refusal to use said underhanded tactics yourself

Persona Aspect Two: The People Hero
William began Scotlands rebellion in the face of English tyranny and cruelty. Through his efforts, his people were eventually freed from English rule many years after his death. He is remembered as a folk hero of legend and his story has been told and retold through the generations.
Sample Invoke: defending the people and calling upon them for aid
Sample Compel: picking unnecessary or “unwinnable” fights

Persona Trouble: Spiritual Limbo
Is he a noble knight fighting for his homeland, a despicable traitor rebelling against true authority for the sake of chaos and anarchy, or a crazed barbarian that painted his face blue? Sir Wallace is all these things and more, the truth of his existence grinded and mixed by the collective unconscious of mankind into something wholly unlike the man born in 1270.

Persona Stunt: Stirling Defence
When clearly outnumbered, gain +2 when cleverly attacking.

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 9, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Unknown Quantity posted:

If I would refuse to go into the unknown, that I should give up on any aspirations to become a reporter. Unless I just want to read the latest tweets on CNN. The unknown is there. I have a duty to check out what it is. Pretending things aren't there does not help one bit preventing people from coming to harm. If I suddenly ended up in that world and under threat by these beings, then others can be too. And they might not have anyone shielding them. I need to find out what's causing this and stop it. Alone or with others if I can convince others it is so.

That said, I'm well aware that there are dangers. And if you must know, yes, there are times when I lay in bed that I'm feeling a bit fearful. I'm not some adrenaline filled hotshot that jumps into things just for the thrills. I take the risks I take, whether it's this weird place or in the worse parts of town because it needs to be done, not for the thrills of it.

quote:

My lifelong goal is, to be fair, lifelong. I don't have any illusions that I'll run out of injustice to expose, or that people will stop averting their eyes. But to do so successfully, to make a large difference in the world? Oh, I would give all the hours of the day for that. If I never get married, if I don't get to have any 'friends' because they are too busy drinking or watching football, if I have to risk my life for it, or even give it up for it.

I like the thought of being a reporter that wakes people up. That does a part to make people realize what is rotten in this world, and that all that's needed is for them to actually do something.

quote:

There is one thing. It's a small thing, and it taught me a valuable lesson, but if I could go back in time and convince myself...

When I was in the last year of elementary school, we had a project. It was about providing water to some school in Ethiopia. I was very active in it. My parents are very catholic, and while I don't share their religion, I will say they've raised me to show charity. But I spent all my school breaks and time after school and homework on it. I organized bake sales. I sold my old toys and some comic books. It was a success. We made a donation, and the village was helped. Everyone was so proud. Plans were made to make this a yearly thing. I'm not sure I've ever been quite as proud of myself, and people at large in my life.

Then I went to high school, and focused on that, and told people about it. So at the end of the year, I took some students to go and visit the bake sale. See who they helped now. I had saved some money so I could properly support it.

They were funding their summer school trip.

I... have to say that I made a scene then. My expectations were too high, and I was, well, I was just a kid. But I still remember that feeling. Of course, it was an important lesson. But there would have been plenty of times to learn it. And that way. That was just too painful. If I had just checked up on it during the year, maybe I would have learned the lesson, but could still have... done something to make them be less selfish.

I still have that one letter from that Ethiopean village. To remind me of what people can do if they put their mind to it. And how quickly they can decide to stop putting their mind to it.

quote:

No. It is another way to excuse your laziness. 'That's fate', 'that's the way it's gotta be'. it's the excuse of people who see bad things in the world, but don't want to do the effort to do something about it.

quote:

Yes. A contract? Is that some way to try to 'call my bluff' or something? Yes, I would.

quote:

Lastly, an out of character question.

[quote]1) Given the final question in the in-character set, I imagine some of you are wondering if I will be looking for a potential Wild Card. The short answer is "no." The long answer is in the form of a question: if selected, would you and your character be fine with/be capable of spearheading an operation? Obviously, by the nature of tabletop, there's no need for a leader, but people tend to gravitate towards one or two people who are the first to make suggestions. If you feel you can act as a de facto leader and/or feel brave enough to have the label of "Wild Card", put a ♤ by your character's name in your application. This will not change your pick eligibility. It only means I have a better idea of how people feel they'd fit within a group dynamic.

Hmm, Lucas would at least try to take charge of a group, as you may have noticed he holds other people in rather low esteem. Of course, there's a large chance of people not putting up with his poo poo. Especially since there's a fair amount of characters that do not put up with poo poo in general. if someone else was the leader, he'd be perhaps something of a Naoto/Mitsuru. Not in charge, but openly critical of some decisions. If he's in charge, people are going to have ot call him to order sometimes. Of course, over time, Lucas can learn valuable lessons. Face his Shadow maybe (or not) And generally chill out.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 6, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Unknown Quantity posted:

Lastly, an out of character question.

1) I don't--I don't want to say that afraid of the unknown so much as I hate the idea of being forced to confront it so early. Especially when literally everything I hear is about how I--oh, wait. You don't mean THAT unknown. Ah...no, I can't really say I'm scared of the dark or anything like that. And, hey, if people didn't go where nobody had gone before, we would have Star Trek--uh, modern computing! (But, yeah, I'm kinda sorta scared of, you know, the Big Unknown.)

2) Lifelong goal, lifelong goal...are we talking "be remembered for brilliancy in a field" goal or "live long enough to have a drink legally and lucidly" kind of goal? Cause I'm not really sure how I can start making plans for the first one when I'm not even sure if I can do the second one. (Fricking...you must think I sound like an old man with Alzheimer's or something...)

3) What kind of change are we talking here? A "you get to take back one screwup" change or a "you get to be born without Supracerebrosulcus Syndrome" change? Actually, come to think of it, fate would probably generate an even worse set-up for me if I said yes either way, so, no thank you.

4) If Fate exists I'm going to punch it in someplace that fricking hurts! For its own sake it better hope that it doesn't exist. If you're going to tell me that my oncoming end is the continuation of some grand and imperceptible design I'm going to punch you first, and then punch the designer!

5) What, like a EULA? I thought life was one of those "by taking your first conscious breaths, you hereby acknowledge the following clauses, provisos and bylines" deals. But, sure, I'll hit "I agree." Not like I have a choice.

As for the Potential Wild Card, I already put the symbol by Stefan's name. He'd probably end up being a Wild Card in the Minato Arisato sense (moving towards an acceptance of death and eventual martyrdom) rather than a Yuu Narukami sense (moving others towards acceptance of their own flaws, personalities, and growth potentials) if he does end up getting picked.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 9, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Unknown Quantity posted:

1. Well....I think that it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm not really one to take a lot of risks.

2. M-My goal? I'm...I'm just in high school...I don't really...have anything related to a goal yet. Sorry, I'm still kinda finding myself.

3. I'd drink a lot more milk when I was a kid. Makes you taller.

4. I think there's something to it, that if someone was placed in the same situation with exactly the same knowledge multiple times, they'd make the same choices. I don't know if that's fate or not, though.

5. Everything I do is my own doing. To shirk from that would be irresponsible.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
:siren: Reminder that you've got two days left to finish your applications, answer the bonus questions, and/or apply for ♤ status. I won't delay any further than Sunday afternoon unless you send me a PM/message me on Discord. :siren:

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

quote:

1. ) To start off, a simple curiosity: do you fear the unknown? Will you go where no one else has gone before without a second thought, or get cold feet?

Nope. The unknown isn’t scary, it’s exciting. I live for the unknown, the possibility of waking up one day and finding something new, which no one has ever found before? That’s what gets me out of bed everyday and out there into the world. I’ll take an exciting unknown over a boring predictability any day of the week.

quote:

You’re drat right I’ve got a goal and I would do anything to reach it! I want to go where no one else had ever been. I want to climb mountains, go spelunking in caves, hike through jungles and forests. I want to explore! Dad was pretty supportive early on you know, get the kid out of the house and away from the video games for a couple of hours. Now though? Well it’s been the cause of more then a few fights, which have been getting worse and worse… well I’m not going to let that stop me!

quote:

The only thing I could think of would be having dad just stop going on at me all the time. He’s so obsessed with me taking over the company when I’m older… I don’t even know what his company does! And it’s the cause of this whole awkward thing between us now. Things would be so much better between us now if he didn’t have this compulsion with making me another little cloned executive.

quote:

No way. If that destiny crap actually did exist, I’d be stuck in some awful business school, slaving away and preparing to take over a company I have no interest in. In fact, if destiny does exist, then it’s something I want to fight against with everything I have! Nothing gets handed down from on high, you have to fight for what you want.

quote:

Ugh, contracts. You sound like Dad. Well yeah, sure, I accept responsibility. What I do and what happens as a result is up to me. Happy? Ugh, at least Dad gets me stuff if we get into an argument. Fine, I’ll sign, just stop going on at me.

quote:

1) Given the final question in the in-character set, I imagine some of you are wondering if I will be looking for a potential Wild Card. The short answer is "no." The long answer is in the form of a question: if selected, would you and your character be fine with/be capable of spearheading an operation? Obviously, by the nature of tabletop, there's no need for a leader, but people tend to gravitate towards one or two people who are the first to make suggestions. If you feel you can act as a de facto leader and/or feel brave enough to have the label of "Wild Card", put a 笙、 by your character's name in your application. This will not change your pick eligibility.

James probably has some of the skills a good leader should have; decisiveness, quick-thinking and what have you. That being said, leading people is little bit to much like work for him to take that much of an interest. Mr Morganson is trying his best to get James ready to eventually take over after him and being/learning to be a leader is probably too close to “business” for James to be very good at it, or take even a slight interest in it.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Katsumi

The unknown? If you’re talking about all this weird.. Stuff happening in the evening, I’m not going to say I’m not a little excited. A little anxious about what is going on. But I’m definitely not afraid of what’s out there. At least not before I stare it in the face, I’m not stupid either.

Lifelong goal? I wouldn’t go that far. But I do want to become a superstar athlete, you know, in rugby or otherwise. I mean, it won’t be like being a pop idol or anything like that, but at least I’ll know I earned it. There’s no shortcuts in sports, everything’s done the hard way. So I’ll go the long road and make it there with my own blood, sweat and tears. Just keep putting things in my way and see if they don’t mind me smashing through them.

Metaphorically, of course, unless they’re training dummies or something similar.

What I am today is only because of everything I’ve had before me. If I change any one thing, who knows how I’ll turn out. Won’t be as strong, as fast, as assertive. I might be a completely different person for all I know. So I won’t risk that, I like who I am!

Nope! It’s silly to think that there’s some big plan for everyone. Like, I know there’s something strange going on, but destiny is going one step too far. I earned everything I’ve got so far.

Of course I’m willing to. You know, if it’s legal for me to do so. Whatever I do, I’ll take responsibility. It’d be immature not to take responsibility for what I do. I’m not perfect, but I’d like to think I don’t have any big regrets.

----

OOC question)

I wouldn’t doubt that Katsumi could spearhead an operation, especially something brute force. However, I like her better imagined as an archetype rather than a traditional wild card. She wouldn’t lead people unless school and sports were cancelled, but she’s certainly on board with smashing people as needed.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Mite [logo to come]

Unknown Quantity posted:

"Don't care. If it's cool, I'll do it. Simple as that."

Unknown Quantity posted:

"Easy: Don't got a goal. I'm fine just working the way I am, right? Day to day, night to night. This stupid midnight thing may shake things up, but I guess I'll just have to get used to it."

Unknown Quantity posted:

"poo poo, what're these questions? What is this, some dumb clickbait quiz? Uh...I mean...hell, I'm good as I am. Maybe if I was a couple million dollars richer, maybe if I...eh. Nah. If I wanted a million bucks, it'd be better to work for it and have a use for it than to just be born into a fat stack of cash without knowledge. Get me?"

Unknown Quantity posted:

"Heh, hell no. You make your own path through life. There ain't a...uh, I mean, I ain't too sure of that now, what with half of my friends running around with these ancient deities at their beck and call. Whadda I know?"

Unknown Quantity posted:

"I mean, poo poo, if it was just some schmo running up to me on the street asking me that, I'd say 'yes' and not really care. If it's a contract...depends on who's askin', who's callin' the shots. If it's some TOS on a program, gently caress no, they ain't monitoring me. But if it's a real-life dude, or something even bigger...probably say yes. Don't want anybody coming after me."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

(image source)

Laurel Wilde

Even from her early childhood, Laurel Wilde wanted to roam. The Wilde family was always just scraping by -- a father occasionally employed by Honey Bee's tiny Parks Department, a mother working at a consignment shop, and four ungainly children -- and Laurel never fit in anywhere in the insular world of Honey Bee. Every building in town was a prison, from the Wildes' rambling farmhouse to the cramped local school, and all Laurel wanted was a key to release herself.

The first key she found was the car. Her uncle owned an auto shop, and Laurel began to hang around there and help out in the summer when she was 11. She was a quick learner, and she jumped for a learner's permit and a license as soon as she could., saving money to buy an old but reliable used hatchback from her uncle's shop. Just driving it felt like a great escape, especially when she got to the open road outside her hometown, the ones that led to Norton and realms beyond. She had an aunt in Norton, and after some wheedling with her aunt and her parents, Laurel was given permission to drive to and from the city and stay for the weekend, the weekend after her 16th birthday. With a packed bag and her freshly-minted driver's license in her hand, Laurel set out on what she expected would be her first great adventure

Norton was pure disappointment. The noise and bustle was exciting at first, but staying for a few days in her aunt's apartment drove Laurel to believe that this was just another kind of prison. Norton to her was postage-stamp-sized apartments, a constant jostle on the sidewalk, and worst of all, streets so jammed with traffic that you couldn't get up to speed. The city had seemed like it might be an escape, but this, too, was a dead end.

Laurel's second key to escape came one late night on the outskirts of Honey Bee, during Laurel's third month as a delivery driver for Bee Quick Pizza. Pizza delivery took her all across the admittedly-small map, with late hours on the weekends, and for a restless 17-year-old, the freedom to drive and earn money was a Godsend. The fateful night was a clear, dark new moon, and there was a chill on the air as Laurel started down the gravel road back towards town. In the distance, there was a soft white light by the side of the road; as Laurel drew closer, it resolved itself as the shape of a young woman, standing by the side of the road and holding out her thumb. A hitchhiker. And was she... glowing, faintly? No, it had to be a trick of her headlights.

On any other night, Laurel -- careful, conscientious, reliable, and dying inside -- might have gone past the hitchhiker and focused on her job. That night, though, she'd made good time and was just on her way back to the shop. Who would it hurt if she gave some poor girl a ride? She pulled over to the shoulder, but by the time she got out of the car, the girl was gone. All that was left was a butterfly, fluttering away into the night -- wait, a butterfly? No, that had to be a moth, didn't it?

And then Laurel saw the card lying in the gravel of the shoulder, where the vanished hitchhiker had been standing. It glittered in the night, and of course, she had to pick it up. When she did, a voice echoed in her head: the voice, she knew, of the hitchhiker.

"I'm you, you know. Thank you for picking me up. Let's go home for now, but remember this hour. We'll be back."

Laurel drove home with the Tarot card in her passenger seat, and the next night, she awoke to the Dark Hour for the first time. Something inside her told her that this was the gateway that the skull beckoned to -- the road that she would have to drive to find her fate. Even if she'd resisted, the Hitchhiker inside her would have driven her on.

But she didn't resist.

High Concept: Restless Traveler
Hometown: Honey Bee

Approaches:
Careful +3
Clever +1
Flashy +0
Forceful +2
Quick +2
Sneaky +1

Aspect: An Excellent Driver
Like many 17-year-olds, Laurel has a freshly-minted driver's license and a battered but functional car to go with it. Unlike many 17-year-olds, she's a very good, careful driver and very conscientious; she's got good situational awareness, hand-eye-foot coordination, and reasonable mechanical aptitude.
Example Invokes: making good time on an unfamiliar route, piloting or repairing unusual vehicles, keeping her head on a swivel as she steps into a new environment
Example Compels: wasting time fiddling with machinery, obeying traffic laws with shadows hot on the heels

Aspect: The Irresistible Force
When Laurel has a goal, she's very hard to dissuade, and she'll walk through Hell to make it work. Endurance and perseverance is her greatest strength, as is a capacity for hard or unpleasant work to get what she wants.
Example Invokes: enduring pain, putting in a sixteen-hour shift when times are tight, weathering the Dark Hour without complaint
Example Compels: being unable to back down from a truly untenable or dangerous situation, being tempted to argue for principle's sake when it's just a waste of time

Trouble: Never At Home Anywhere
... of course, the trouble is that Laurel can't always tell what she wants. She never feels quite at ease at rest, and she's not sure that anywhere would really make her happy for long. She has a hard time taking it easy, even when it's the best idea.

Stunt: Natural-Born Wrench Monkey
While most of her skills involve vehicles, Laurel has a natural talent for machines, whether it's putting them together or taking them apart. She has a +2 to Carefully overcome mechanical obstacles.

(image source)

Persona: The Phantom Hitchhiker (Arcana XIII - Death)
The Phantom Hitchhiker is a common American urban legend and ghost story. It concerns a young man who, driving home on a dark night, encounters a young female hitchhiker who needs a ride home. He takes her in and drops her off at home, only to later learn that the young woman in question is dead, killed in a car accident years ago. She never quite gets home, but she always keeps trying.

Aspect: Mesmerizing Memento Mori
The Phantom Hitchhiker is simultaneously an immensely sympathetic and a somewhat spooky figure. With her supernatural mien, she has substantial power to affect others' emotions, for good or ill.
Sample Invoke: charming an unfriendly NPC to grant a favor or diffuse a fight
Sample Compel: an NPC develops unwelcome emotions about the Hitchhiker, or overly strong emotions, and trouble ensues

Aspect: Herald of the Grave
As innocuous as she may seem, the Phantom Hitchhiker is still a figure of death. She has command over the power of death, withering opponents with a thought or glance, let alone an incorporeal touch.
Sample Invoke: gazing at a foe to inflict trembling paralysis or heart failure
Sample Compel: Death energy doesn't always flow where you want it to; friendly fire is always a possibility

Trouble: Caught in a Cycle
The Phantom Hitchhiker is trapped in the recurring cycle of her urban legend: always looking for a ride, but never making it home or moving on. She cannot readily break away from this pattern to take risks or change her status quo in the long term -- the force of inertia is very strong.

Stunt: Always Where She Needs To Be
The Phantom Hitchhiker can be anywhere where there's a sympathetic face. Once per session, the Phantom Hitchhiker can spend a Fate point to instantly transport herself and Laurel to any other PC's side, provided they need Laurel or Laurel needs them.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 10, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
:siren: Applications are closed! Thank you all for applying. Don't leave before reading this entire post! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WiefEUbtVI

So, you got picked? Neat. Time for me to give you a card to act as a sort of representative for what to expect when we first start out the events. Your post number, minus the first three digits, which are the same for everyone, will be added together to determine which numbered card out of a shuffled 78-card tarot deck you receive. Be aware there are bad cards in addition to the normal cards. But the odds of those are a little less than 9 and a half percent, even after everyone draws. I will also be bringing up what a Spade does in a moment. For now, however...

Your representatives of Honey Bee!

Antivehicular as Laurel Wilde of the Death Arcana! (Card Drawn: 5 of Swords)
OscarDiggs as James Morganson of the Chariot Arcana! (Card Drawn: Queen of Wands)
SuddenConsequences as Viola of the Adjustment Arcana! (Card Drawn: 9 of Coins)

And joining them, from Norton...

Davin Valkri as Stefan Falco of the Temperance Arcana! (♤) (Card Drawn: 10 of Coins)
Lurks With Wolves as Sam Whittaker of the Tower Arcana! (Card Drawn: Queen of Coins)
TheFireMagi as Christie Fairchild of the Sun Arcana! (Card Drawn: Queen of Cups)

Good news: None of you got a cursed card! This means less Bad Things in the world. However...We have a (♤). Now, not once did I say this would guarantee Wild Card status, or that such a thing would confer it. What (♤) actually stands for is the Ace of Spades, or, in this case, Death. Stefan is Marked by Death. Death will make its presence known to him in his hometown. (which was surreptitiously switched in order to get 3 and 3.) What this means? Well, that's for you to hopefully never find out, for your sake! Anyway, speaking of finding out things, :siren: for those who were not picked, please read the following. :siren:

I would like you to submit one rumor or urban legend, via PM or by direct message about Norton, Honey Bee, or both, on Discord, or, failing that, using the .tell function on Platonibot over at #swampthings on SynIRC to send it tome (UnknownQuantity). If I like what you're suggesting, you may just see it come to use in the upcoming game, alongside the other setpieces that are currently in place! Think of this as a consolation prize for not getting in: you still can potentially change the game and contribute to it! Speaking of which, I'll be picking the school names based off of the submissions made by all of you.

EDIT: If you're feeling extra salty, feel free to make up a rumor about one of the picks. They're not immune to having rumors spread about them, after all.

Thank you for the submissions. The game thread should come up either in the morning or the day after.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 10, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Thank you for picking me, UQ! As for death stalking...well...just think of him as a lifelong friend. At least that's what all the self-help books say. I think they were written for sixty year olds, not sixteen year olds...

Anyway, ten of coins says...money, especially a culmination of investments. Also family and the burdens thereof...hmmm...

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Game thread's up! More will happen soon, but this first post is me doing something while I'm not awake enough to work on assignments but awake enough to do game stuff. Expect more things either in the afternoon or evening.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Davin, my bad, but I forgot to actually post addresses to the two "locations". They do exist though, and they're in the email.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
EDIT: How the hell did this double post?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Unknown Quantity posted:

Davin, my bad, but I forgot to actually post addresses to the two "locations". They do exist though, and they're in the email.

Oh, okay. Can I say they're engraved on the key itself, and since Stefan hasn't had a good chance to examine it he won't call out the addresses until (hopefully) sometime during this lunchtime meeting?

I can already see Viola happily calling out Stefan as marked for death, hoo boy...

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh, okay. Can I say they're engraved on the key itself, and since Stefan hasn't had a good chance to examine it he won't call out the addresses until (hopefully) sometime during this lunchtime meeting?

I can already see Viola happily calling out Stefan as marked for death, hoo boy...

No problem. Just wanted to note an error on my part.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
A bit belatedly, but as was said in the Discord, I'll try to be more open about Compels and suggest that Compel suggestions be posted here so we can keep track of changes in FATE points. Anywho, Viola is about to gain a FATE point for accepting a Compel of Born of the Dark Hour.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
As another mea culpa, I'll meet halfway between FAE and AR with Starting Refresh of 4. Which means those who've Compelled would have 5 right now.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So tomorrow in-game's your other line-up of courses. I'm sticking to having third period be the one that has someone involving a named member of the staff. However, I'm unsure what to make it. For the sake of fairness and fun, here's a strawpoll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Because OOC I find the idea of accidentally telling Sabrina both potentially interesting and hilarious, here's a Compel idea for Single-Minded Dilligence: Not wanting to let Operation: Distract Sabrina get in the way of his education, Christie's going to work on the lab while talking to her... Which inevitably leads to him being more focused on the lab and off-handedly mentioning that everyone is meeting up after-school without really thinking about it.

• Locked thread