Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

1. Apocron
  2. Asiina
  3. BottleKnight
  4. flerp
  5. GlitchThief
  6. HiipFire
  7. JimsonTheBetrayer
  8. Kashuno
  9. Retro Futurist
  10. SirSamVimes
  11. TMMadman

The dead:
SirSamVimes, Essence Carter, Town Vanilla, has been lynched day one!

TMMadman, Dalia Toomey, Scum Traitor Roleblocker/Godfather was lynched day three!

Retro Futurist, Laura Colby, Town Cop was modkilled day four!

flerp, ???, ??? ??? died night four!

GlitchThief, Jane Doe, Town Backup has been lynched day five!

Asiina, ???, ??? ??? died night five!

This is a mafia game for 11 players.

The rules, written with consideration:

1. Don't be a dick.
2. Post regularly.
3. Post absolutely nothing outside of ':ghost:' when you die. Please note this.
4. Don't try to circumvent the rules of your role. See rule 1.
5. You may not communicate out of the thread unless specified.
6. Theme song suggestions for the day are limited to once per player per game, first come first served.
7. The other rules of Mafia which go unsaid.

Here's what you might want to know about this game:

Flavor will be light. I have to work a lot now.

I have no idea what a conventional Mafia meta looks like. This game may contain roles that make you Upset. I believe I balance games well.

This game will probably not be the best game I've ever written. I'm hoping it will lead to that though.

Signups
1. SirSamVimes
2. JimsonTheBetrayer
3. Hiipfire
4. flerp
5. GlitchThief
6. Asiina
7. BottleKnight
8. Apocron
9. PBS Newhour
10. RetroFuturist
11. TMMMadman

As they woke, the first scream echoed off the featureless walls and into infinity.

The doctor stood, his voice projecting a calm reassurance that his shaking hands undermined. “Everyone, stay calm. We knew this was a possibility. There’s a contingency in place. There must be.”

One of the contractors, a civilian, grabbed him roughly by the lapels of his filthy labcoat and bounced him off the smooth walls. “How?” She roared, “Do you know what this place is? What have you done to us?”

Sliding inbetween them, the soldier raised his hands in a gesture of peace. “Relax,” he whispered, the authority in his tone in no way undercut by the volume. “We don’t know if we’re alone.”

The frantic party who had been clamoring for answers stopped and took stock for the first time. There were plain white stone walls forming a perfectly square tunnel, still carrying the echoes of their previous conversation. To one end, the tunnel seemed to stretch into the horizon. To the other, a crossroads. The lights seemed to emanate from the walls themselves.

The designer pushed her way forward towards the crossroads. “Come on. We’ll figure this out as we go. Standing here helps nothing.”

“Wait!” Shouted a man in a dark suit. “What if someone is looking for us? They have to be looking for us, right?”

They looked to the doctor, who was nursing his bruised head. He met their eyes, briefly. “Yes, yes. Someone is looking for us.” He rubbed his chin, “But, maybe not here. She’s right, we should explore a bit more, I think.”

He smiled.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The cool thing about running smaller games is that they fill up faster.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Well dog we need several suckers in addition to you, so yeah you in.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey, join this game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

I already did.

Join harder!!

edit: Also Ecco what's your status, still replacement?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Neat, nearly there! I'm assuming Ecco is a replacement unless I hear otherwise.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Yayyy

A couple big projects got dumped on my plate today but I'll get things going as soon as I'm done. Would you all prefer a Monday start or as soon as possible?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Cool, I may send out roles tonight and you're welcome to chat, but we'll officially open the game on Monday with a Wednesday deadline. I want to make sure I get that done while I still have some free time. It's a small game so even with the holiday that should be plenty of time for discussion.

I haven't run a game since March of last year, I'm excited!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Roles are out! Role call, check in and confirm.

edit: uh is votefinder broken?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
cool cool cool well i will keep track, poorly, manually.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey that's everyone besides Jimson and Glitch I think, good enough for me!

You grab what little gear you have and set yourself ready to march forward. There's fear in the air, but some excitement too. Small pockets of chatter bubble up and pop around you. It isn't you're about to move forward that someone notices.

"Hey, Sean, get moving. Come On."

He can't, though. Sitting with his back against the wall, his head slumped forward, he sits as a monument in an otherwise featureless space. Tilting his head back, his expression is blank, but his eyes show movement. You can see the reflection of his perspective. Hallways turn and twist as whatever is left of him is still set chasing through this windowless space, although he'll never move a step again.

"This is recent," one of you mutters. "Look at the bruising on the neck, this happened while we were in here."

Sean Gatson, Town Plot-Device, died night 0!

No burial is possible. You check him for any useful goods and then close his eyes, hopeful that brings some measure of peace. Far off, in the impossible to measure distance, you hear a terrified shriek. Everyone halts for a second, but nothing follows it. There's no choice but to start moving. Several minutes later, the tight corridor you're in opens up into a massive tunnel. This may be more difficult than you thought.

“Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes. The violence comes from a combination of giving up, not caring, and a resignation that getting past it is all you can hope to accomplish."

Day One Begins!

With 11 alive, it is 6 to lynch. There will be no plurality lynches, if one player has not received a majority of votes by deadline, a no-lynch will occur.

Deadline is tentatively set for Wednesday 9/7/16 at 10:00pm cst. If participation is high and an extension is requested, I will consider it.

If you had a start-of-game action you have not yet submitted, I'll give you another 24 hours from this post.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 5, 2016

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Vote Count

TMMadman (3): Asiina, Apocron, Jimson

With 11 alive, it's 6 to lynch.

Deadline in approximately 33 hours and 40 minutes.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 6, 2016

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Kashuno replaces PBS Newshour.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Vote Count

TMMadman (3): Asiina, Apocron, Jimson
Apocorn (1): BottleKnight

Deadline in approximately 22 hours and 45 minutes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Vote Count

TMMadman (3): Asiina, Apocron, Jimson Kashuno
Apocorn (2): BottleKnight, GlitchThief
Kashuno (2): TMMadman, flerp
Bottleknight (1): Kashuno

Deadline in approximately 7 hours and 39 minutes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i feel like my brain is trying to escape through my forehead so if i somehow miss deadline don't post.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Vote Count

Apocorn (3): BottleKnight, GlitchThief, flerp
Kashuno (1): TMMadman, flerp
SirSamVimes (1): TMMadman

Deadline in approximately 2 hours and 23 minutes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Vote Count

Apocorn (4): BottleKnight, GlitchThief, flerp, Retro Futurist
Kashuno (1): TMMadman, flerp
SirSamVimes (1): TMMadman

Deadline in approximately 1 hours and 25 minutes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Ten minutes to deadline, ssv is the vote leader at 4 votes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
oops SirSamVines was vanilla town. Brief twilight for chatting while I write flavor.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Nothing.

No colors, no sound other than your footsteps, even the air seems to stand still. It's enough to drive a person crazy, and it did.

The path deposits you at the end of a stone antechamber. One of you has been scribbling a map down, they consult it hesitantly.

"Yeah, alright. We've been going about three hours, we should probably stop and rest. It's not like we know where we're going anyway."

At the back of the march, you hear a yell. Unnerved by their silence, several members of your party have turned on SirSamVimes. He appears confused, almost vacant. That just infuriates them more, and flerp grabs them by the back of the head and shoves them forward into a wall.

There's blood, but not the sharp crack of bone on stone you expected. Instead, there's a sucking sound that takes you all by surprise. Slowly, SirSamVimes is pulled forward, into the walls. They're past the point of screaming, and the flailing has stopped by the time it gets to their waist. In another moment, they're gone entirely. None of the blood remains.

No one says anything, no one sits. For a moment, you just huddle together, unsure what you've witnessed

SirSamVimes, Essence Carter, Town Vanilla, has been lynched day one!

“Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves

moments before the wind.”

night actions, rack 'em up. 24 hours.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
After an hour or so passes, you gather together and begin your slow march forward. The absence of Essence weighs at you, but she's already slowly fading from your memory. Is this just exhaustion, or is there some other force at work? Regardless, the task at hand consumes your attention, and once again you plunge forward into the unknown.

No one has died night 1!

Day two begins!

With ten alive, it is six to lynch. Deadline is set tentatively for Friday at midnight CST, but I am open to discussion.

“Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.”

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Vote Count

Kashuno (2): Asiina, Jimson
TMMadman (1): Kashuno

Deadline in eight hours and 14 minutes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

BottleKnight posted:

votefinder is back but not accurate, kash is not in the count and it's still d1

if you could fix all of that somber i'd appreciate it

Deadline is extended to midnight cst as I am out right now.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 10, 2016

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Think that should be right, let me know if it ain't.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
welp day two done ya'll didn't make it happen. gimme them sweet night actions if you got 'em.

Final Votecount for Day 2

Kashuno (5): Asiina, JimsonTheBetrayer, TMMadman, JimsonTheBetrayer, JimsonTheBetrayer, flerp, TMMadman, TMMadman, BottleKnight
TMMadman (3): Kashuno, Retro Futurist, BottleKnight, Kashuno, GlitchThief, JimsonTheBetrayer, JimsonTheBetrayer, BottleKnight, Apocron
GlitchThief (1): Kashuno
Apocron (0): BottleKnight, TMMadman, TMMadman, BottleKnight

Not Voting (1): HiipFire

With 10 alive, it's 6 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 10th, 2016 at midnight CDT -- that's in about 0 minutes.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 10, 2016

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
No one died night two :toot:

Day Three Begins!

With ten alive it is six to lynch. Deadline is Monday 10pm cst.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
oh and hey if you don't make five posts today I'll kill you!!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

BottleKnight posted:

I don't want to speak for the mod but generally postcount modkills won't happen if a turbo happens.

It's true, you don't! Ah ha ha, I LOVE BLOOD.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
yeah that hammer happened at like four in the morning and I had other stuff I had to get done this morning. Everything will be resolved in 30 or so.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Whatever presence was at the beginning of your journey hasn't appeared since, you're not even sure it was real at this point. The uncertainty weighs at you, lingering at the back of your mind. As you finally reach another crossroads, you're presented with a choice. Another corridor leading forward, a series of wide spiral steps leading up, and a narrow set of stairs leading into darkness. You debate amoungst yourselves, the pent up frustration from the past several days turns the argument nasty very quickly. Before any further debate can be had, Jimson shouts and pushes TMMadman forward, towards the dark stairs.

He let's out a choked curse and sticks his arms out trying to slow his descent, but he can find no purchase on the smooth stone walls. He lands hard, an ominous crack coming from somewhere inside him, and keeps falling. He tumbles roughly out of sight, now silent. You're not sure if it's the echo, but you hear him falling for a very, very long time. Near the top of the steps, you see that something fell out of his pockets, a bottle of sedatives and a pencil, sharpened to a dangerous point. From further down the hallway, you hear an eerie, mournful cry.

You all eye the spiral steps.

TMMadman, Dalia Toomey, Scum Traitor Roleblocker/Godfather was lynched day three!

In interest of clarity, this is a Godfather variant.

Assorted end of day house keeping will be resolved shortly. I am not modkilling anyone right now but the five-post minimum carries forward for day four.

Night actions in the next 24 please.

Final Votecount for Day 3

TMMadman (6): Kashuno, Asiina, Retro Futurist, GlitchThief, Apocron, JimsonTheBetrayer
Kashuno (1): Asiina, Asiina, TMMadman

Not Voting (3): BottleKnight, flerp, HiipFire

With 10 alive, it's 6 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 12th, 2016 at 10 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 1 day, 7 hours.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 11, 2016

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
No one died night three!

Day 4 Begins!

With 9 alive, it is 5 to lynch. Deadline is Tuesday 10pm CST.

Five post minimum carries forward.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
reading through today i have retro at 4 posts, i believe everyone else is clear.

30 minutes

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
well ya'll no-lynched and retro got modkilled

The stairs stop eventually, and your aching legs give praise. You exit into a wide, arched hallway, massive in size compared to the cramped tunnels you've been exploring. Every several meters, there are statues in various states of repose, all of them seated or kneeling. You drop your packs and explore, too tired to deny your sense of wonder. Most of their faces are charred and blurry, as if some force has carefully and deliberately erased them.

Retro stops and kneels face to face with one of them. He runs his hand over the intricately sculpted hair, an unknowable expression on his face.

"I know them. I know who this is." He turns, his eyes wide. He opens his mouth to speak again, and looks confused as nothing comes out. He tries to stand, but immediately falls back to the floor, clutching at his throat. Some of you step closer, until he starts to come apart.

The teeth fall from his mouth, and then like bubbles, drift away and pop in the air. Each one produces a melodious chime as it disappears. Some of you are screaming, others are speechless as you watch his skin turn grey and smooth like the walls of the tunnels below. Retro struggles violently for a moment, and then it stops. A couple of you step closer before the others hiss and drag them away.

"Don't touch him! Don't touch ANY of them!"

Those of you with the presence of mind grab your things and run, searching for an exit, following behind those who have already fled.

Retro Futurist, Laura Colby, Town Cop was modkilled day four!

night actions

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Eventually your panic ceases and the rest of you regroup. You find yourself in yet another hallway, a series of short ascending and descending stairs that twist in an almost Escherian fashion. You stop to take stock and rest.

"Hey, has anyone seen flerp?"

No one says anything. It might be your imagination, but for a second you'd swear you hear his voice whispering from the walls around you.

flerp, ???, ??? ??? died night four!

Day 5 begins!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Votecount for Day 5

GlitchThief (4): Kashuno, BottleKnight, HiipFire, Asiina
BottleKnight (3): GlitchThief, Apocron, JimsonTheBetrayer, JimsonTheBetrayer, JimsonTheBetrayer

Not Voting (0):

With 7 alive, it's 4 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 16th, 2016 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 5 minutes.

With your numbers dwindling, you panic.

"I saw flerp back by GlitchThief! He must have done something to him!"

"Wasn't Bottleknight back there too?"

The next several minutes are heated, but GlitchThief is starting wide-eyed off in the distance the whole time, like he doesn't even realize he's there. In the middle of the discussion, Asiina walks up behind GlitchThief and slams a loose stone into his skull. He falls to the floor in a heap, and then almost like he was never there, falls through the thick stone floor and disappears from sight. All that's left is a puddle of blood on the floor.

"Well, that takes care of that."

"So, were we right?"

"I mean, probably."

The rest of you are too tired to argue, and you start forging on.

Behind you, the puddle of blood crackles and hisses quietly, spinning and twisting to form a single word.

"Help"

GlitchThief, Jane Doe, Town Backup has been lynched day five!

night actions!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
You're not sure how long you've been walking, most of you are half conscious at this point, when you see it. A massive octagonal room, with a hundred doors.

"This... this isn't right. This doesn't match the map at all!"

"Wait, you have a map? Let me see that."

"Well, see, it's just based on projections and the path we've traveled so far, I'm not sure how accur-"

The map is ripped away. They hold it up, staring with empty eyes. Then they laugh, and laugh, and laugh, dropping it to the floor.

You pick it up.

It's a good thing Asiina isn't around to see this, if the journey hadn't driven them crazy, this might have.

Asiina, ???, ??? ??? died night five!

five alive, three to lynch. do it up. deadline is monday night unless you guys really want to push it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Backed against a cliff, a stone floor a hundred feet behind him, Apocron screams in frustation.

“You idiots, can’t you see? Those two have been playing us the whole time, they’re what’s been picking us off, not some monster!”

Jimson steps forward and pushes him off.

Apocron, Greg King, Town Vanilla has been lynched day six!

“Heh, well that takes care of th-...”

Kashuno steps up and does the same to Jimson.

Jimson, Brandon Burn, Town Vigilante was endgamed day six!

BottleKnight and Kashuno turn to face Hiipfire, who is standing back nonplussed.

“So, uh, we cool?” Asks Hiipfire.

They step towards him and Hiipfire barrels past, choosing to join his fallen friends rather than suffer under their hands.

Hiipfire, Jack Alvis, Town Vanilla was endgamed day 6!

“So, what now?” asks BottleKnight.

Kashuno rubs his chin in thought. “I.. hm, that should have done it. I don’t know, honestly.”

Then it’s all around them, a hideous groaning and shifting sound. The two survivors grab whatever they can for support, but soon even the stone underneath them is rattling and shifting. They scream as the floor falls out, and they descend into darkness.

“God, I think my arm is broken.”

“poo poo, you’re alive? I’m alive? How did that work?”

“I don’t know,” a flashlight flickers on, “But I think we don’t have to worry about that anymore.”

Ahead, there are five doors faintly illuminated. Not stone, but of various wood grains.

“So the theory about them polluting the ‘neural network’ or whatever…”

“Yeah, looks like that was right. I wish I could remember why. With just the two of us though,” they gesture, “Easy enough, right?”

“Right, right. Just a one in five shot, and we’re home.”

“Or, we’re somewhere else. We’re back here. We do this again.”

They look towards each other and nod, clasping hands. With shaking and bruised limbs, they limp forward towards the middle door, and into the unknown.

Kashuno, Dalton Turner, Scum Chatter/Converter has won the game!

BottleKnight, Shawna Mailer, Scum Janitor/Party Host has won the game!

TMMadman, Dalia Toomey, Scum Traitor Roleblocker/Godfather has won the game!

Writeup incoming.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
8 Town, 3 Scum

1. Town Cop

- Can investigate the dead, loses Cop power if they investigate the 'godfather.'

2. Town Guard

- 1 shot BP, once per game can redirect ALL night kills to them.

3. Town Forensic Investigator

- Uncovers Janitor Kills.

4. Town Vig.

- Night Vig. Can only kill players with fewer posts. Has to solve a maze before they can use their kill.

5. Town Backup

- Can backup ANY role, but the backup is a targeted night action. Has a N0 action. Never gains scum nightkill power.

6. Town Vanilla

7. Town Vanilla

8. Town Vanilla

9. Scum chatter/converter

- Can recruit a mason partner n0 and on. Selects a codeword at the start of the game from a list, if the codeword is said by their partner and they are the traitor, the traitor is converted to join scumteam actual. May use a recruit night action alternatively.

10. Scum Janitor Party Host

- Hides flip info from their kill target. Upon death a list of every player who has visited them is published to the thread.

11. Traitor Roleblocker/Godfather

- Standard roleblock action. Different from standard godfather in that they investigate as scum but cause the Cop to lose their powers if investigated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
So, hey, thanks for playing. This game really went off the rails in a way that I absolutely did not anticipate. I think I made a few errors in modding which contributed to that, but I hope that's looked upon with indulgence as I specifically ran this to get a feel for modding again.

I did not anticipate that flerp would use their ability night 1, but I figured if they did they would probably die from the janitor/vig doubleshot. However, Jimson was not able to solve their maze due to the lack of a computer so v0v. I had no idea the Cop would question their results after losing their investigation powers, I felt like I was as honest as possible there. The scum decided not to submit a nightkill n2, which I allowed as I had not specifically written a restriction against this in their role pm and seemed like a valid if improbable strategy. In the future I would probably include such wording, as I think the lack of flips killed some of the game momentum.

• Locked thread