Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

large hands posted:

here's my sourdough i made from that recipe a while ago.

think my starter might be dead now, forgot about it in the fridge a couple weeks ago 😫

hubba hubba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

large hands posted:

here's my sourdough i made from that recipe a while ago.

think my starter might be dead now, forgot about it in the fridge a couple weeks ago 😫

It's probably OK, really. That's not a terribly long time.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
sourdough perfectly describes my body's odor and composition

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

mdm posted:

sourdough perfectly describes my body's odor and composition

Personality too, for the trifecta, or is that where the sour turns to sweet?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
you can always bring sourdough starters back to life. give it heat & love and it will come back..

Here is my sourdough #2!!!

this time i went 50% whole wheat

also i think my dutch oven might be a bit too small for this loaf to fully expand, it got kinda smushed up :(

at least it didnt explode all over like my first loaf did. you live and you learn :q:

bake bread!!!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

how bigs your dutch oven and how much dough do you think can fit in that bad boy

e: gonna prob buy a dutch oven and dont want to get too small or too big ya know?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

kazr posted:

how bigs your dutch oven and how much dough do you think can fit in that bad boy

no idea but it could probably contain like half the load im putting in it right now with comfort to expand, im straining the limits!!

i dont know if i get a huge dutch oven for a million dollars or just bake without one, would that even work? could i use a pizza stone?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

if your buying a dutch oven make sure its large enough fit whatever size loaf you are used to getting, the bread will expand out to the shape of the sides of it

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

man i am tripping balls right now and this bread is amazing

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
https://youtu.be/gbdUGdxX7ww

Grilled cheese mastery

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

also i think my dutch oven might be a bit too small for this loaf to fully expand, it got kinda smushed up :(
I don't think it's supposed to touch the sides, but I don't know if that will harm anything save the appearance, either

AEMINAL posted:

i dont know if i get a huge dutch oven for a million dollars or just bake without one, would that even work? could i use a pizza stone?
Lahey has called the dutch oven used in his recipe an 'oven within an oven', so it might be necessary.

You might be able to find one at a garage sale, my sister got lucky and got a Le Creuset for pretty cheap. The only thing wrong with it is the ugly burnt-orange color.

I'm making a sourdough focaccia, which took forever to rise, even though I included a pretty good portion of very active starter. It lagged so much that I had to make a normal one, just to satisfy the baking urge. The same thing happened with a cornmeal loaf a while back, too. That one took super long from a mildly active starter, and wound up super sour. My friend's midwestern tastebuds couldn't handle it.

It's kind of uneven and not risen enough, but I'm falling asleep, so I had to pop it in the oven. I think it'll be passable, but it smells kind of weird once it started baking.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

I'm ordering a linen canvas proofing cloth (couche) tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. There's a YouTube video of some old gut talking about how to use one, and I keep laughing when he talks about how you shouldn't wash your couche.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
sourdough is aite but foccacia shits on it and basically every other bread

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Sourdough focaccia fresh out of the oven; normal one I've been snacking on for four hours.

The picture doesn't really show how misshapen and poorly risen the sourdough loaf is.

Teikanmi posted:

sourdough is aite but foccacia shits on it and basically every other bread
When I hit it right with the focaccia, it's mind-blowingly delicious.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

just had two thick slices of toasted sourdough with plenty of extra salted butter and port du salut cheese for breakfast

it's so loving good you guys gotta make this

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

50:50 white and whole wheat flour, 80% hydration, 15% jalapeños seeded and chopped (I like a mix of rings and maybe 1/3 finely chopped but not quite diced so you get good flavor throughout and good bites of jalapeño), 15% cubed sharp cheddar, 30% grated sharp cheddar, like 30% starter, and some salt. Autolyse for 1 hour, then add the grated cheese with the salt and starter. Add the cubed cheese and jalapeños when it's relaxed a bit after the second fold (just gently squeeze it into the dough w your hands until it's all mostly incorporated, you don't want to cut the dough at this point). Give it 4-5 folds overall, divide and shape when a bit more than doubled, proof overnight in the fridge. Sprinkle with grated cheese right before baking.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 2, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

The Goatfather posted:

50:50 white and whole wheat flour, 80% hydration, 15% jalapeños seeded and chopped (I like a mix of rings and maybe 1/3 finely chopped but not quite diced so you get good flavor throughout and good bites of jalapeño), 15% cubed sharp cheddar, 30% grated sharp cheddar, like 30% starter, and some salt. Autolyse for 1 hour, then add the grated cheese with the salt and starter. Add the cubed cheese and jalapeños when it's relaxed a bit after the second fold (just gently squeeze it into the dough w your hands until it's all mostly incorporated, you don't want to cut the dough at this point). Give it 4-5 folds overall, divide and shape when a bit more than doubled, proof overnight in the fridge. Sprinkle with grated cheese right before baking.

Holy poo poo :stonk:

Got any.. pix...

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

it's so loving good you guys gotta make this

As soon as the couche I ordered yesterday arrives. It's just too messy dealing with that wet dough otherwise.

I am jealous of your breakfast.

The Goatfather posted:

50:50 white and whole wheat flour, 80% hydration, 15% jalapeños seeded and chopped (I like a mix of big pieces and maybe 1/3 finely chopped but not quite diced), 15% cubed sharp cheddar, 30% grated sharp cheddar, like 30% starter, and some salt. Autolyse for 1 hour, then add the grated cheese with the salt and starter. Add the cubed cheese and jalapeños when it's relaxed a bit after the second fold (just gently squeeze it into the dough w your hands until it's all mostly incorporated, you don't want to cut the dough at this point). Give it 4-5 folds, divide and shape when a bit more than doubled, proof overnight in the fridge. Sprinkle with grated cheese right before baking.

That sounds awesome, and my jalapeños have started fruiting. Now you've made me impatient.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

please don't gently caress with bread like that. leave it alone. add stuff when you serve it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

hemophilia posted:

please don't gently caress with bread like that. leave it alone. add stuff when you serve it.

Nope

I also did one a few weeks ago w/ carmelized onions and goat cheese, and rolled the top in everything bagel seasoning and it was AMAZING. No pics tho.

Sourdough makes awesome whole wheat raisin bread too, I like the tartine recipe w/ some freshly toasted/ground coriander seed

The Goatfather posted:

70% whole wheat, 83% hydration, golden raisins and coriander seed per Tartine Bread, the best raisin bread in the world, possibly also the best whole wheat bread in the world

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 2, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

*cums*

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

hemophilia posted:

Why? Is this a religious thing, like shiite vs sunni, or pineapple on pizza?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

skander posted:

Why? Is this a religious thing, like shiite vs sunni, or pineapple on pizza?

Jews can't eat cheese and meat from the same plate so putting the cheese in the bread means they can't put any meat on their sadwich

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

baked two loaves today!! the second one came out really well, i think im getting the hang of this now

first one:

second one:

Please Bake Bread :)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

That looks like a lot of work, gently caress that. Safeway has fresh French bread every day at 4pm.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Grem posted:

That looks like a lot of work, gently caress that. Safeway has fresh French bread every day at 4pm.

maybe 20-30 minutes of actual work, the rest is just waiting. its so worth it man

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

bread #6, best one yet hands down

this time i didnt use any parchment paper in the dutch oven which gave it a really nice uniform shape, i also used the "towel flop" technique to toss it straight in. instead of a few cuts on the top i did one lengthwise

someone help me i can't stop baking!!!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
what kind of dutch oven do you use? A pic or amazon link would be handy

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
I decided to try making a starter over the weekend and it started bubbling a little over the last few days. Last night however it went fuckin crazy and erupted all over my bench.
Going to bake a loaf with it tomorrow :clint:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Sourdough is in a dead heat with jewish rye as the absolute best kind of bred for me.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Bonzo posted:

what kind of dutch oven do you use? A pic or amazon link would be handy

just a simple cast iron one, got it from my mother who had no need for it anymore.

it bakes pretty perfect size loafs, i guess a larger one would be fun, maybe a large round one but eh they're wicked expensive new and this works

added a peach next to it for scale

some people use cheap paving stones from like home depot to bake on. if you do use one of those make sure to add a lot of moisture during baking, i like tossing in ice cubes after i open the lid on my dutchie

Rozzbot posted:

I decided to try making a starter over the weekend and it started bubbling a little over the last few days. Last night however it went fuckin crazy and erupted all over my bench.
Going to bake a loaf with it tomorrow :clint:

Hell yeah dog post some pics when you're done :q:

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 7, 2016

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
My house smells delicious as all gently caress and now I want to buy a dutch oven.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I wish j could get into baking. But it just doesn't click with me.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
e: nvm

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Rozzbot posted:

My house smells delicious as all gently caress and now I want to buy a dutch oven.

freakin sick, good job

yeah def buy a dutchie, the crust they produce is insanely nice.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i had no idea that a dutch oven was a real oven and not just an under-the-covers fart

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

i made more bread today

it was delicious

no pic because it looks identical to my last loaf. im close to perfecting it, all i need is a non stick baking surface so i can plop the dough in wetter

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrL56-TZhQ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
So I've been preparing a starter in a bowl at room temperature for a week or so, feeding it flour and water every day. How long til I can make bread? The starter doesn't float in water yet

• Locked thread