Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Cannibal! The Musical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Used to be one of the handful of videos my parents had and I watched it probably dozens of times as a kid. Rewatched it recently and it's still pretty good!

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
no shadow of a doubt supersize me

elementary through high school i probably saw it three times a year because i guess its one of the few movies in the venn diagram between 'movies the school administration will let the kids watch' and 'movies the kids will actually pay attention to'

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

nigga crab pollock posted:

elementary through high school i probably saw it three times a year because i guess its one of the few movies in the venn diagram between 'movies the school administration will let the kids watch' and 'movies the kids will actually pay attention to'

For me the movie we saw by far the most in school was Mrs Doubtfire. Usually happened at least once per year starting in middle school.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

poo poo, this might usurp Jackass 2. i watched Supersize Me a lot in middle school because it was considered educational.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
assholes who brought up Bloodsport, it's Bloodsport.

jcvd is one of my favorite actors next to dolph lundgren

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i remember watching happy feet in like 7th grade, and idk if you've ever seen happy feet but one of the themes of the movie is the use of religion as a means of social control (no poo poo, really) but nobody ever catches onto that somehow. its kind of like all of the criticism of religion in the book of eli that everyone ignores in lieu of calling it a Christian Movie

in a room full of kids who would argue that women have less ribs than men they're all just sitting there watching straight up anti-religious propaganda it fuckin rules ok

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Regrettable posted:

Cannibal! The Musical

one time i met + sexed a lady who wasnt very nice and gave me the clap but we also saw this movie and this movie is so good i am on the fence about calling her a bitch

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

For me this was "Selena" thanks to lazy-rear end Spanish teachers year-in, year-out.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

i remember watching happy feet in like 7th grade, and idk if you've ever seen happy feet but one of the themes of the movie is the use of religion as a means of social control (no poo poo, really) but nobody ever catches onto that somehow. its kind of like all of the criticism of religion in the book of eli that everyone ignores in lieu of calling it a Christian Movie

in a room full of kids who would argue that women have less ribs than men they're all just sitting there watching straight up anti-religious propaganda it fuckin rules ok

it has the same director as mad max fury road

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

My man

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
saving private ryan

Aug 4, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Used to be one of the handful of videos my parents had and I watched it probably dozens of times as a kid. Rewatched it recently and it's still pretty good!

same

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
Tremors. 250/350 times. My babysitter had it in VHS and I watched it once or twice a day five days a week for a few years.

Movie still kicks rear end.

Close second is Shawshank.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Jim Barris posted:

I've seen The Blues Brothers probably thirty times at least.

same, had that bitch on vhs recorded off the tv

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Shawshank, always. I don't even own it, but it's always on.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
it's definitely the big lebowski and it's my favorite movie probably

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

you're a good man

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

actually that's not true because i forgot i was once a child. it's almost certainly jurassic park which is a good movie.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Probably Office Space because in the early/mid 2000s it was on Comedy Central like twice a day 7 days a week

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is also up there for me

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The Devil's Rejects.

client
Aug 19, 2010

from like 2001 to 2004, the scifi channel ran tremors 2 approximately 600 times and im pretty sure i watched all of them

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Excluding films I watched 100 times in a row as a child (Disney's Robin Hood) or films my kids have watched 100 times in a row (the Croods), probably Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, OP. Due to a series of unlikely coincidences, I have seen Scott Pilgrim in theatres no less than seven times, and then three times on DVD afterwards.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FordPRefectLL posted:

i think that i have seen the fifth element like 30 times and i'm not sure why

its a good movie shitballs

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Robo Reagan posted:

its a good movie shitballs

i understand it's just more that i don't intentionally put it on but i've seen it a ton

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Probably Aliens because I used to re-watch it all the drat time as a kid, and have seen it several times since.

By the way IMO the correct order to watch Aliens if you're a newbie:
- Theatrical Cut First
- Director's Cut

The Director's Cut is better and expands on some stuff but it's honestly better left unseen on a first viewing, plus that way watching it twice makes the second viewing better.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Everyone should

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
the fifth element is a very good movie

i went to imdb and apparently there are a whole bunch of people who don't like the movie because it's not super serious and up it's own rear end in a top hat, and it has basically no continuity. which is kind of a shame because thats why it owns

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

FordPRefectLL posted:

Actually I change my answer to Fifth Element. I've definitely seen it thirty times or more.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

i went to imdb and apparently there are a whole bunch of people who don't like the movie because it's not super serious and up it's own rear end in a top hat, and it has basically no continuity. which is kind of a shame because thats why it owns

Every other thing that happens in 5th Element sounds like stupid poo poo in paper and if you described it to me I'd tell you it sounded dumb as hell. But despite that, it all works and it's entertaining as hell.

The whole movie is a montage of things that should be terrible but are awesome instead.

client
Aug 19, 2010

the tards on imdb also consider fight club, the matrix, and the usual suspects to be in the top 25 best movies ever made.

it is a very bad site for people who hate good movies

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I cannot stand when movies don't know what they want! Is it a comedy, a space thriller, action, all of the above... if a comedy, is it light or downright outrageous or something in between!!! The General being frozen in the refrigerator, his list of specialties that is so long it falls to the ground (any one remember Frank Drebin when he shows his badge), making love in the medical machine, Corbins mother calling the President... all "space balls" leveled in outrageous comedy... nothing wrong with that but then do it 100%, and don't wobble between styles of light comedy-action, space thriller to "naked gun" sublime humor.

IMO a mess in the story telling, little sense in the plot and causality. But many movies suffer from this. My biggest biff is the wobble between styles. Be true and consequent.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

client posted:

the tards on imdb also consider fight club, the matrix, and the usual suspects to be in the top 25 best movies ever made.

it is a very bad site for people who hate good movies

Honestly Fight Club is kind of a classic, The Usual Suspects is also kind of a classic though I don't know how well it aged, and The Matrix actually is pretty awesome as an action movie. They don't all have to be art house films.

Re-watch the original Matrix sometime. It's a legitimately good movie likely because there was some restraint.. it plays more like this noir cyberpunk thing where the other movies are SUPER ACTION JESUS rather than just making it a motiff. There's literally more bullet time in the intro of the next movie than the WHOLE previous movie and that shows the mindset of why they loving sucked.

But yeah the first movie is legitimately better than it should have been and had a huge impact on cinema. Maybe not top 25 good but it's not horse poo poo like all the sequels. I guess it depends if you're ordering your list by pop-culture impact and lasting effects, or by how arrrrtistic it is.

ED: I will also say almost every movie that people who snub entertaining movies that aren't high-brow loves tends to be poo poo Oscar bait that is more shallow than the shallowest of pop-corn Superhero bullshit, but people jizz all over because of it's "important" are usually boring, full of bullshit and are up their own rear end. (PS: gently caress you, Theory of Everything for somehow being all three.}

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 27, 2016

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

yeah looks like all the bad reviews for the fifth element are people going "IT CANT DECIDE WHAT TO BE" like every movie needs to be rigidly one genre

client
Aug 19, 2010

the matrix is definitely good by any stretch of the imagination, i just don't think its one of the absolute best movies ever made.

fight club has aged horribly and just a loving obnoxious movie all around and i've never really understood why the usual suspects was considered to be so good outside of kevin spacey and the really obvious twist

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
"I don't like Fifth Element"
-a dumb idiot

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I watched Top Gun a shitton of times as a kid.

My dad and I watched it again when we got our first DVD player. Somehow then we realized that it's a childish kids movie and pretty horrible.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
that movie cage watches in 8mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I had no idea there were others who had seen Congo more than they should have.

• Locked thread