Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Sorry for the long, long wait, this just completely fell off the rails around the holidays but I'm looking to get keep this train on the tracks.

I'll be out from Jan 4-8 but after that I'll be looking to continue, so just post away in the meantime and let me know you're still around. I understand if anybody's fallen off this due to the delay, so just let me know if that's the case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I think I may need to drop out, which is ensaddening. I fell off with holidays and I'm crushed by overtime so much I just get home at night and read until I fall asleep. That will let up in a month or two but that don't do you much good.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Thanks for letting me know, occams, I really appreciate it.

So, I'd like to do a roll call here since I didn't get responses from everybody while I was away. So let's see where we're at as far as I can tell.

Not Keyser Soze, thatbastardken, you guys still seem interested and active, and thanks for that. I presume you're still interested in going on, but let me know if that's not the case by any chance.

lesquide, I know you were busy at the same event I was at, and expressed interest in continuing.

Dedman Walkin and Ryuujin, let me know if you're still in by the end of the week or I'll just have to assume you're out at this point, it's been over a month since I've heard from either of you. If you can't keep up, that's fine, but please let me know.

Once I have a better idea where we stand, it'll be easier to pick things up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dedman_Walkin and Ryuujin are out, on account of their silence. With that established, looks like we're down three players. So my question to those remaining is: do you want to put things on hold while I do another recruit, or continue on in the meantime with who we have? I can find a handwave either way, but I want to consult and see what you folks would like to do.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I'm happy to continue, but re-open recruitment and slot new players in organically.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Sorry about the radio-silence. Last month was our busiest month, and I just couldn't think up ways to play after work.

I recommend what ThatBastardKen suggested - reopen recruitment and bring in new players. Since the gang is still in town, perhaps the new recruits are from there?

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I concur on re-opening recruitment.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Alright, I'll get this reopened as soon as I can update the recruit and update the thread soon. I'm on my busy work chunk of the week right now and catching up on things after being really, really sick following vacation, but this is definitely on the docket.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Sorry for the delay; reopening recruitment sounds like the way to go to me, as well.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

So, I'm reopening and looking for 1-3 new recruits to replace empty spots. Interested? First, take a look at the OP, and also ignore my hopelessly naive thoughts on posting requirements. It's my first PbP game! :shobon: Then read the rest of what I have here:

The Characters

The current main cast is made up of members of The Outfit, a small mercenary group with a grudge against the Coalition. The current cast is:
  • Eleanor Mann (played by thatbastardken): A Glitter Boy pilot with a noble streak and a surprising charm.
  • Dietrich Karns (played by LeSquide): A techno-warrior veteran of the the Minnesota War looking to go out in a blaze of glory against the Coalition.
  • Roscius Bellhander (played by Not Keyser Soze): A local ley line walker and guide accompanied by his sister, Regula.
The Story So Far

The Outfit, a small mercenary band, was recently delivering a package from New Lazlo to the small frontier town. However, beset on their route by mysterious raiders on flying wings, they fought them off before finally arriving in Utopia admist a ley line town. A small town on the edge of the massive Ohio River in the Magic Zone, Utopia happened to have just fought off an invader from the rifts, and then set upon eating it, which seemed to be a cause for celebration. After participating in the festivities, they settled in and completed their business in the morning. Ikenna, the local sheriff, came to them with an offer from her and the local mayor Curdle to try and find the raiders' base. Though the offer seems legit, some of the Outfit are having concerns about the job...

The Location

Right now most of the action is taking place around Utopia, a small town based near the location of real-life ghost town Utopia. There, a small boomtown has sprung up around a ley line nexus which crosses over the nearby water, rising up the nearby hill in ramshackle fashion that would make any town planner blanche in terror. (If that town planner was human, this is Rifts.) There's a small town guard of a few dozen, headed by Ikenna, and an array of heavy weapons on the docks leveled in the general direction of the ley line nexus, prepared for dangers that might emerge from a rift there. It's also said the nearby water is haunted by the denizens of the original Utopia, which is now underwater due to the general widening of the Ohio River since the cataclysm.

Fishing and magical research are the main trades here, though there are nearby farms as well that take advantage of the shoreline soil. The main trade is with Stormspire, a techno-wizard city to the south and New Lazlo, a sorcerer's city to the far north. Psyscape is generally unknown to the community, as is to be expected. Still, the political shifts of Dunscon and their growing power can be felt even across the river.

Notable locations include:
  • The Docks: Shoddily armored boats and heavy emplaced weapons speak to the reality of working the waves in this place and time. Usually it's pretty much a place that smells deeply of fish, however.
  • The Lighttower: One part government offices, other part lighthouse, other part raider-blinding implement, the lighttower is the main centerpiece of the town. The guard and Mayor Curdle both have their offices here.
  • The Phalanstère: The only notable hotel in town, this is a large two-story affair that serves drinks and simple fare, and seems almost a little too large for the town so far. But, presumably, the town will grow into it if it isn't obliterated first. It's run by a family of Fingertooths, but despite being odd-looking d-bees, they seem entirely assimilated into local culture.
  • Thoth's Techno-Wizard Labs and Magical Sundries: Run by the Bron family, this offers household techno-wizard goods and magical herbs. More elaborate techno-wizardry available on special order. No word on whether or not there is a real Thoth, or what he might think of his name being taken in commercial vain.
  • Megaversal Armaments: Local arms dealer startup, seems to have origins off-world.
Local personalities include:
  • Mayor Curdle: Though blunt and crude, Curdle is one of the town founders and is generally well-liked by the populace for "telling it like it is". Though a type of d-bee known as a "Flooper", he detests the name and apparently refuses to "floop" for anyone.
  • Sheriff Ikenna: Seeming more like a noble lady than a law officer, Ikenna clearly has something up her sleeve given she doesn't even generally wear armor. Mostly, though, she seems to constantly have her finger on the pulse of the town, looking out for potential threats and trouble.
  • Guard Milton: A friendly, plain-speaking local guard. Yavam's partner of sorts.
  • Guard Yavam: The guard heavy, a hawrk-ohl d-bee who's got the usual +muscle -smarts deal going on.
  • Lenev: A scholar studying local ghostly phenomenons, chiefly the seemingly harmless haunting that occurs at the site of the original Utopia.
  • Iris: A young woman overseeing Megaversal Armaments.
  • Q'alaga "Al": The Fingertooth in charge of The Phalanstère. Used to dealing with drunks.
Application

As with the initial recruit, I'm looking a "concept application" as detailed under "What I'm Looking For" in the OP. Don't worry about a full sheet - just put together the information as detailed there, and if your application is accepted, we'll do a full character sheet for me to review. Some ideas include:
  • Local guides and trackers hired to help out.
  • Guard members sent to assist The Outfit.
  • Wilderness sorts The Outfit might bump into.
  • Old friends or comrades of existing members of The Outfit.
  • Mercenaries looking to join up.
If you have any questions or need any help, feel free to post or PM me, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Recruitment will be closing on February 6th.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 23, 2017

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'll be putting something together.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
After some consideration and a barebones build of some characters, I've decided to drop my first idea (Kid Combat Cyborg) in favor of an elderly rogue scholar, who I think will be more fun to play and bring more to the party than just some (admittedly very good) stabbing. Full concept will be up in a day or two.

Edit: Also if I take Rich, can I pick the results from the table or do you still want me to roll after the first pick?

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 24, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sounds good! If you take Rich, I'd let you pick what you like as long as you don't double up on a given table.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Character Name: Derak
Framework: MARS Rogue Scholar
Species: D'Norr
Background: 20 years ago, Derak was the name (well, to be honest, more like a name) in Rift exploration. The polymath D'norr was exactly the person you wanted on a trip to some strange new world to steal everything not nailed down study scientifically and culturally significant objects. In his twenty year career, Derak had seen and done almost everything at one point or another. But meeting the love of his life, Kareen, caused him to settle down from his dangerous and morally dubious youth into the quiet life of a professor in Tolkeen. He was moderately happy there for quite some time, even after his wife died five years back. But, well, we all know what happened to Tolkeen. Now, cybered up and (mostly) back in shape, Derak is back to doing what he was always best at - visiting exotic places, meet new people, and killing some of them. And if the ones who were dying were Coalition, well that's all the better.
Motivation: To see interesting things while not getting killed
Party Role: Ridiculous skill monkey, can do pretty much everything at least moderately well. Can handle himself in combat but not outstanding at it.

There is exactly one picture of a male D'Norr/Devilman available on the internet and here it is.

pre:
Derak
Race: D'Norr aka Devilmen

Agility		d8
Smarts		d10
Spirit		d8
Strength	d6
Vigor		d6

Pace: 5
Toughness: 8 (9 in armor), Armor 4 (9 in armor)
Parry: 4
Charisma: 1 (-4 penalty when dealing with Coalition)
PPE: 5 (Natural Arcane Proficiency)

D'Norr
Distinctive D-Bee: Unless they hide their non-human (and devilish) appearance, D’Norr face a certain amount of prejudice
 from the Coalition. They suffer a -4 Charisma when dealing with such people.
Intelligent and Spiritual: D’Norr are highly intelligent and spiritual, beginning with a d6 Smarts and Spirit. This makes 
their natural maximums for those Traits d12+1.
Natural Arcane Affinity: The D’Norr have +5 PPE naturally, whether they pursue a magical path or not.
Personable: The D’Norr are highly charming and easy to get along with. They have +1 Charisma.
Restricted Path: The D’Norr have no capacity for psionics and cannot access ISP.
Sensitive: Due to their inherently sensitive and compassionate nature, D’Norr are particularly susceptible to Fear, sufering a 
 -2 whenever making checks against such situations.

MARS Rogue Scholar
Begin with +5 skill points.
Begin with any two Knowledge skills at d8 and the Scholar Edge.
Begin with Investigation d8, Streetwise d8, and the Investigator Edge.

Skills (15 base +5 elderly +5 rogue scholar =25 general purpose skill points
25 +3Climbing/Lockpicking/Stealth +5Fighting/Shooting/Throwing +12Rogue Scholar Skill Bonuses +6Smart and Learned = 51 total skill points)

Climbing d4 (+2 from Thief)
Driving d6
Fighting d8
Healing d6
Investigation d8 (+2 from Investigator)
Knowledge (Arcana) d6
Knowledge (Computers) d8 (+2 from Scholar, +2 When dealing with Electronic Security)
Knowledge (Electronics) d6
Knowledge (Geography) d8
Knowledge (History) d8
Knowledge (Science) d8 (+2 from scholar)
Lockpicking d8 (+2 from Thief)
Notice d8 [d12+2 with chip] (+2 from cybernetics, +2 to search through evidence, +2 when dealing with traps)
Persuasion d6
Repair d6 [d12 with chip] (+2 in armor, +2 when dealing with traps)
Shooting d8 (+2 in armor)
Stealth d8 (+2 in urban areas, +2 in wilderness areas)
Streetwise d8 (+2 from Investigator)
Survival d8 (+2 from Woodsman)
Tracking d8 (+2 from Woodsman)

Hindrances:
Elderly (Major)
Loyal (Minor)
Cautious (Minor)

Edges:
Investigator (Bonus)
Scholar (Bonus)
Rich (Bonus)
Connections: The Immaterial Hand (Bonus)
Connections: Naruni Enterprises (Bonus)
Thief (Bonus)
Danger Sense (Bonus)
Filthy Rich
Dodge
Jack of All Trades
Woodsman
Scrounger
Brawny

Table Rolls (3 MARS, 3 from any Hero's Journey, 5 from Very Rich):
Picked MARS 2: A Strong Suit of Armor (Triax T-13 Field Mechanic w/ +2 on all ranged attacks and +3 Armor)
Picked MARS 5: Smart and Learned (+1 Smarts die, d6 in any 3 smarts-linked skills)
Picked MARS 9: Wealthy and Connected (Rich Edge and Connections Edge with two factions)
Picked Underworld and Blacks Ops 11: Thief Edge, +3 skill points for climbing/lockpicking/stealth
Picked Training 1: +5 skill points for fighting/shooting/throwing only
Picked Education 13: Knowledge: Computers d8 and +2 to dealing with electronic security
Picked Cybernetics 16: Subject Matter Expert Port (1 strain) and 4 die Notice Chip
Rolled Cybernetics 13: Bionic Strength Augmentation (+1 strength die, 1 strain)
Rolled Cybernetics 17: Armor Plating (+4 Armor, doesn't stack with worn armor, 1 strain)
Rolled Cybernetics 6: Expanded Detection and Security Array (+2 to notice checks and Danger Sense Edge, 2 strain)
Rolled Cybernetics 2: Reinforced Frame (+2 toughness, 1 strain)

Advances:
+1 die type to Spirit
Jack of All Trades
Woodsman
Scrounger
Brawny

Gear: 
Triax T-13 Field Mechanic w/ +2 on all ranged attacks and +3 Armor
Huntsman Lightweight Personal Armor
Wilk’s 320 Laser Pistol
NG-S2 Survival Pack
Bought TK Revolver
Bought Repair Chip (3 die increase)
20000 credits
Edit: Forgot to link my rolls. Also I accidentally rolled 5 times for cybernetics, so I just used the first 4.
Cybernetics table: 5#1d20 13 17 6 2 7
Cash: 5d8 20

Edit2: Fixed my skills (see below), added 5 experience for another edge (Brawny)

Skill Calculation
Skills (15 base +5 elderly +5 rogue scholar =25 general purpose skill points
25 +3Climbing/Lockpicking/Stealth +5Fighting/Shooting/Throwing +12Rogue Scholar Skill Bonuses +6Smart and Learned = 51 total skill points)

[1] Climbing d4 (+2 from Thief)
[2] Driving d6
[3] Fighting d8
[1] Healing d4
[3] Investigation d8 (+2 from Investigator)
[2] Knowledge (Arcana) d6
[3] Knowledge (Computers) d8 (+2 from Scholar, +2 When dealing with Electronic Security)
[2] Knowledge (Electronics) d6
[3] Knowledge (Geography) d8
[3] Knowledge (History) d8
[3) Knowledge (Science) d8 (+2 from scholar)
[3] Lockpicking d8 (+2 from Thief)
[3] Notice d8 (d12+2 with chip, +2 from cybernetics, +2 to search through evidence, +2 when dealing with traps)
[2] Persuasion d6
[2] Repair d6 (d12 with chip, +2 in armor, +2 when dealing with traps)
[3] Shooting d8 (+2 in armor)
[3] Stealth d8 (+2 in urban areas, +2 in wilderness areas)
[3] Streetwise d8 (+2 from Investigator)
[3] Survival d8 (+2 from Woodsman)
[3] Tracking d8 (+2 from Woodsman)

Piell fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 2, 2017

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Considering throwing my hat in with a dragon hatchling. Is that something that feels like it could fit or would it be too awkward?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

we previously had one, but the player withdrew. if you make a new one it'll be like they never left!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

oriongates posted:

Considering throwing my hat in with a dragon hatchling. Is that something that feels like it could fit or would it be too awkward?

That'd be fine.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Cool, I've got a pretty good idea in mind, sort of "precocious kid with super-strength". Accidentally started off imprinting on someone young due to proximity when he hatched so his human form is early teens as well. After realizing his original human companion was too immature and uneducated to satisfy his needs (and maybe almost destroying the kid's home and/or traumatizing the family) he left to find a more suitable "tutor".

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Name: Max
Framework Dragon Hatchling

Background: Max hatched about two weeks ago, near a small farming settlement. His egg had been found by a young boy, Marco, who had been exploring nearby cave. Upon hatching Marco was his first human contact for several days (Marco named him Max, the name of the boy's recently deceased pet) and as a result Max lacked much in the way of mature guidance. Although these first few days had their moments, Max quickly realized that Marco was not going to be suitable, lacking the education or intelligence to satisfy the young dragon's curiosity and need for intellectual discussion. After a disastrous attempt to introduce himself to Marco's family (the still inexperienced dragon let his metamorphosis lapse, resulting in panic and the partial collapse of Marco's home). Unclear on how to handle the family's fear and Marco's distress, Max decided that the best option would simply be to leave and find someone to give him better guidance in the new world.

Motivation: Learn and experience. Figure out human culture to prevent further misunderstandings like the Marco disaster.

Role: middle combat ability combined with heavy damage potential. Helpful for transportation, stealthy mega-damage backup and utility psionics.

pre:
Max
Flame Wind Hatchling

Agility-d4
Smarts-d8
Spirit-d8
Strength-d12+4
Vigor-d8

Fighting-d6
Knowledge (arcane)-d6
Notice-d6
Psionics-d8
Shooting-d6
Spellcasting-d6
Survival-d4
Throwing-d4

Pace: 6 (12 flying)
Parry: 5
Toughness (human): 6
Toughness (dragon): 34 (16 MDC)

Psionics
ISP: 20
*Boost/Lower Trait
*Healing
*Mind Reading

Magic
PPE: 10

Dragon Form
*+12 Toughness, +16 MDC armor
*Fear
*Claws/Bite: 1d12+3d6+4, AP 4, MD
*Fire Bolt: 12/24/48; 4d6 MD
*Flame blast: Cone, 2d10 MD
*Tail: 2x4" area, 1d12+1d8+4 MD

Edges:
none

Hindrances
Loyal 
Quirk

Hero's Journey
*+5 skill points for fighting/shooting/throwing
*+10 ISPs

oriongates fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 6, 2017

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

A few quick questions:

*Are the "missing" characters just going to be retconned out of the game? I mainly ask because having another young dragon showing up right after Red leaves might be a little weird, but whatever way works best.

*Since it's almost inevitably going to happen at some point, could you give a ruling on what happens if I go from human to dragon inside a building or similar? Since my human form is pretty squishy I want to be appropriately cautious if I'm cut off from going dragon inside. I would assume that I could burst a flimsy structure fairly easily and that extremely strong structures (like a adamantium cage or something) could potentially kill me if I tried and/or run out of duration. Mostly wanting to know for things like a solidly built building or inside a vehicle.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'll probably just swap Red for Max and retcon a bit, if that's acceptable. The others I don't have a set plan for yet, but figured I had a bit to figure that out.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I can roll with that.

More or less the intro I had in mind for him is him coming into a crowded place like a bar or something similar, banging on something loudly and shouting "I require an adult!". Presumably one of the PCs would approach him and, upon confirming that they are an adult of the human species (most humaniods look pretty similar to him and he's had some confusion already), he insists on their help answering some questions about current events, human social norms and where to get clothing that might be less flammable (I imagine him basically showing up wrapped in a sack after having burned off his first set of clothes accidentally). Questions continue unabated, etc. etc.

So we can assume that happened with one of the PCs a little while ago. Roscious would probably be the one that gets the bulk of his questions once he realizes he's magically competent.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

For the record I'm going to close down recruitment a day early on the 5th (this Sunday), I think. If this is an issue for anybody, let me know, but highly suspect it isn't.

Also, here's two other (male) D'Norr pics I found, if that's of interest.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It was a hard time deciding and I enjoyed every app but only certain people made the cut- aw, who am I kidding? :shobon: Derak the Rogue Scholar and Max the Dragon Hatchling join the dark future already in progress! :black101:

Derak

IC: You can presume you were picked up by Eleanor in this post as the local expert help. Feel free to do a post about what you've been up to in town, what your meeting was like, etc. Or just arrive at the truck that Dietrich's waiting at with her.

OOC: Reverse-engineering your sheet was a bit of a bear, but a few things to point out. Feel free to point out anything you think I may have missed - I tried to double-check everything but it's a very complicated build.
  • The Repair chip looks like it's intended to be listed as 4 die increase and the Notice chip seems to be a 3 die increase, but they're listed the other way around.
  • I believe you're two skill points over right now, taking into account Elderly, Rogue Scholar, Smart and Learned, and your Underworld / Training / Technology table results.
Max

IC: Feel free to cut out "Red" and place Max in the IC post history in a massive retcon to upset loyal readers in finest comic book fashion, and adjust anything to taste you feel you need to. You're probably attached to Eleanor, unless you have any preferences otherwise.

OOC: Not much to mention! Dragons are simple.
  • If you want to take your two hindrances, feel free. Loyal would be the obvious one since it runs through the group like a vein, but you can take what you like. You don't get the points for them yet, but will when your third comes up. You can presume you've been with the group for a bit.
Everybody!

I'll be noting it in the next IC thread post, but I'll be granting 3 XP with all of the town shenanigans, along with a little extra for those who have stuck with it to get their first advance, for 5 XP total. This applies to new characters as well, so Derak and Max may also take an advance. Note your advances in the OOC thread, and you may want to update your character sheets as well.

That's all! Oriongates, Piell, post on once you're caught up, and I'll be getting things on the literal road soon enough.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

So does that take the OG squad to 8?

Either way I'm putting Eleanor's Agility up to d8.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Everybody should have 5 XP total.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Lets see, Loyal makes sense...I'm tempted to take Monologuer (asking questions or talking out loud at inappropriate times), but I think I'll save that for the next to decide (curious could work fine as well).

For his second Minor hindrance would his unusually young human form (and his unchild-like behavior) work as a Quirk?

I'll spend the Advance to bring Spirit up to d8.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Definitely gonna pick up a new power, maybe Invisibility or Elemental Manipulation.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

oriongates posted:

For his second Minor hindrance would his unusually young human form (and his unchild-like behavior) work as a Quirk?

Yeah, something like Faulty Kid Disguise could work.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Definitely gonna pick up a new power, maybe Invisibility or Elemental Manipulation.

Just let me know when you know.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Updated character sheet for Roscius

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Nobody has points in Drive still, correct?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I have d6!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

what kind of recruiting officer would eleanor be if she didn't look for a driver? it's like you don't have any faith in your team.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Sorry for asking this, but are there any spots open? I know I just missed rerecuritment

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
My understanding of the drive situation was greatly flawed! Will figure out XP expenditure soon; sorry for the delay.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

NutritiousSnack posted:

Sorry for asking this, but are there any spots open? I know I just missed rerecuritment

you should probably make a character anyway, just for kicks

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

Tell you what, go ahead and throw a quick pitch about what you're looking to play, don't worry about a sheet just yet.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Tell you what, go ahead and throw a quick pitch about what you're looking to play, don't worry about a sheet just yet.

I wrote up two characters for fun.

One is a Cyber Knight, a former Coalition "solider"/actor and model for propaganda films. He defected shortly before the onset of the War against Tolkeen, where he was taken under the wing of a seasoned Cyber Knight impressed by moral fortitude and latent talent. Unfortunately the Coalition put out a big bounty on him given he is a minor celebrity who is widely known to have told them to shove it. Plus is he taking the vows as Cyber Knight a little more seriously as penance for being a notNazi

The other is a Mind Melter merc who's all business. He fought for both sides on during the Tolkeen conflict, depending on who was offered the higher contract. Naturally given he is PC and not a wandering psychopath, he is doing it help support the Rift refugee population he was part of. Likewise while not loyal to anyone but people from his homeworld, he never backs down from a contract and won't kill or harm civilians. He ultimately just wants to find a way home for his people.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The former concept would probably fit with the current group of anti-Coalitionists and mercs better. I could do the latter concept if you reallly want it, but it'd be harder to stuff it into the existing narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Sir Lucius Rivers, Cyber Knight

Lucius has no doubt there lots of people have darker pasts than him on Earth, especially with the Rifts pouring more humanoids, demons, and what have you every day. What he doubts is that his excuses past muster, he wasn't porn in poverty and ignorance like many did in Chi-Town. He came from a family of electronic engineers who just barely managed to grab onto the lowest rung of the ruling class in the Coalition States. He might not have been the sharpest tool in the shed true and the family pressuring him too since the family trade seemed beyond, but signing up for the men in black skull shaped armor was a than a little on the nose.

It wasn't until the shooting with Tolkeen was well underway though before ignorance was shattered. He did pretty well during basic and even better when interacting with most of the female command and more than a few male commanders. Eventually his mug shots, psych tests, and personal recommendations from his trainers hit the higher ups in the both the propaganda and strategic departments. When the rest of his battalion was shipped out for combat, he was sent to a photo shot campaign for new recruitment posters. When they found out he could talk as well as he looked, they delayed shipping him out for some relatively safe patrol assignment, and instead gave him a three picture deal. In two B films where he was in a relatively major role, depicting him fighting against intruding D-Bees and one a major production where he was a minor character in a serious production about the Coalition future victory against Tolkeen. Seeing that he had the potential to be a big star and tool for recruitment if they polished his image and lent him more authenticity, they finally shipped him near the tail end of the war on some mop up duty operation, that was both safe but also give him a kill count and bloody him up.

The way this story goes from here is far from unique but sadly all too rare. When push came to shove, Lucius couldn't pull the trigger when the time came to do it. It was a poor choice of target, unarmed and starving refugees that are mostly human looking don't inspire much fear or bloodlust. Still he was to be executed on the spot for disobeying direct orders until the Cyber Knight that was hidden in the midst of the D-Bees steeped forward and killed everyone in the unit but Lucius. Her name was Lady Blue Moon (not the dumbest name he would hear), and she decided to place Lucius under the same protection she lent to the refugees. While on route to Kingsdale, she began to see something in him too, much like his superiors had, but of more substance.

At first she just told him he had to help on guard duty if she wanted to tag along, let alone eat. Then she started giving him tips and before the month was out was full on training him and testing him to see if a former Dead Boy had the right stuff.

To Lucius own shock he did.

Changing his last name to a more knightly and generic one in a vain attempt to remain anonymous, Lucius took to roaming the midwest righting wrongs and more importantly settling disputes before they became wrongs in the first place. He didn't mind bloodying his hands, but killing was more than just an easy way out, it usually was the half assed self sabotaging one. Even with a low kill count, he made it his business to get in the Collation faces and it didn't take them long to put two and two together and figure out who he was once his face started circulating.

With a Bounty on his head that big, Lucius knew his days of being a lone wolf were over and it was time to see if there were a group freelancers that had both a conscience and a willingness to get on the wrong side of the Dead Boys.

code:
Traits (5+2 from hindrances= 7)

Agility d8 (2 points)
Smarts d4
Spirit d8 (2)
Strength d8 (2)
Vigor d6 (1)

Charisma: 4 (iconic framework bonus + Attractive edge)
Toughness: 5 (13 when wearing amour, 15 when using Cyber Knight organic armor)
Pace: 8
Parry: 7

Skills 15 (+5 points in shooting, fighting, throwing)

Fighting d10 (2)
Driving d6 (2)
Persuasion d8 (3)
Knowledge (electronics) d8 (Education)
Notice d6 (3)
Repair d4 (1)
Shooting d10 (5)
Stealth d8 (3)
Throwing d6 (2)
Psiconic: d6

Edge:
Quick Draw
Nerves of Steel
Champion
Psionics
Attractive
Brawler
Martial Artist

Powers:
Armor
Healing
Speed
Smite

Hindrances
Heroic: Major)
Wanted: Major (Coalition)

(Hero's Journey 5 rolls)
body armor: rolled 10 +1 toughness to blades and lasers
education: rolled 8 d8 electronics knowledge 
Psionics: rolled 10 extra novice power
Training 5: Martial Artist edge, Brawler edge
Training 19: +5 skill points on fighting, shooting, or throwing

Iconic Framework Cyber Knight
Cyber Armor: As free action add +2 to toughness
Cyberkinetic Combat: -2 to pure tech attacks. Lasers, vibroblades, rail guns, ect
First Into Battle: d10 running dice and +2 to Pace
Inner Light: Start with Champion Edge
Intense Combat Training: 2 free combat edges
Minor Psionic: Arcane Background (Psionics), 10 ISP, d6 Psionics
Psi Sword: Str+Spirt x2 Damage, AP6. For 2 ISP it does Mega Damage
Revered Protector: +2 Charisma

Cyber Knight Complications:
Code of Honor:
-1 to psionics rolls for being a dick until do I do something important to repent
-2 psionics rolls and cyberknetic/inner light abilities for being an evil dick until I do something big to repent.

Cybernetics:
Cybernetics aren't an option

Gear: 
Cyber Knight Medium Armor
Wilks's 320 Laser Pistol
NG-L5 Laser Rifle
NG S2 Survival Pack
One Silver Cross
6 Wooden Stakes
800 Credits

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 1, 2017

• Locked thread