Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Witcher 3's writing is laudable for some fairly nerdy reasons. Particularly, and especially early on, it is an open-world game that nevertheless maintains a "theme" very well. Consistently throughout the game you run into situations where parenthood is the primary theme. A major early NPC needs you help in finding a missing child; a number of monster contracts include the monsters' young as motivation for their killings; family and bloodlines are a major narrative thread in Skellige as well as the main story; and children can live or die by your decisions.

The fact that the supporting cast is remarkably likable (even Dandelion has his charms!) and I'd say the Hearts of Stone DLC quest pack is one of the best pieces of content I've ever experienced in any video game, especially an RPG like this. It's a perfect storm that should never have come together as well as it did, but at the end of the day, the Witcher 3 manages to hearken back to the very best examples of the RPG genre. I hadn't felt this attached to a cast of characters since FFIX, and the overworld design is incredible. It's a game world that manages to be fantastical and lurid without losing its subtlety.

It's basically an R-rated fairy tale with a heart of gold and a dirty old man's sense of humor. It'll make you laugh and it'll make you cry, and isn't that exactly what a good piece of art should do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

have you tried reading a book?

i can't read

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ROFLburger posted:

Real talk is this game good? ive been thinking about giving it a spin

yeah

Orkin Mang posted:

the death of ivan ilyich. very short. trust me bro

I feel like I may have read that one but then I looked it up and I'd actually read the Overcoat instead.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I never did make any of the custom armor sets beyond the initial ones.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Geralt's cool, I like playing as him.

Ciri's cooler. Ciri's basically the best.

But actually everybody is the best.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah game owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bro Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Q62Wyfewk

someone at bioware thought this was good writing

dear god literally everything about this is terrible. What's wrong with her animations

• Locked thread