Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nice, i may have to read this now.

Yeah, it's weird to see Lucius Debeers as this major power player in the novel, when he's chilling in a man-size fridge in Deus Ex 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CowboyAndy posted:

Yeah, it's weird to see Lucius Debeers as this major power player in the novel, when he's chilling in a man-size fridge in Deus Ex 1.

indeed he is in the game too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
While I haven't read them myself, so I can't really vouch for them, I always heard the novelizations of Gabriel Knight 1 and 2 were good, Jane Jensen wrote them herself.

And while I also haven't read it either, the original Planescape Torment novelization was awful just because it totally deviated from the game in utterly inferior ways. One big example is that Ravel and The Transcendent One aren't the main antagonists at all, Fjhull Fork Tongue is, that one minor character that appears in Baator that leads you to the Pillar of Skulls. It was so bad that some of the former dev team worked on a proper one that is now bundled with the game when you buy it on GOG.

When it comes to video game adaptions of books aside from Witcher, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles are cool games. Parasite Eve 1 and 2 are also fun games and apparently better than the source material.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 28, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shin megami tensei is also better than the source novels

they're so much better that the guy who wrote the original megami tensei novel wrote 'sequel novels' that were just novelizations of the early smt games

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Forgot about Mega Ten.

I also forgot to add that Harlan Ellison had a major part in I Have No Mouth's development, like helping to write it and voicing AM. I really like his take on AM, he just sounds so casual and routine most of the time, like horribly torturing his prisoners is just another day at the office, until he goes into scenery chewing insanity at the turn of a dime.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 28, 2016

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

RuneScape of all things had it own novelization.

I only read the first one of three, but it was complete garbage; not even fun garbage, just a poorly written, confusing slog of words. One day I'm going to sit down and read the whole trilogy to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i know there are trillions of "unofficial" mincraft novels. most of them are about XXGARYSTU239XX and his/her adventures/saving the world in minecraft world. i know they are everywhere in walmarts and bookstores.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Pathetic.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

ShutteredIn posted:

He's gotta be one of the authors with the most literary cred to write tie-in novels.

Martin Amis wrote a book about Space Invaders.

it's not a fiction novel, sadly

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Mass Effect novel where a bad guy pissed on someone's house plant.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I read the Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 novels when I was 14. Goddamn they were just loving awful.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CowboyAndy posted:

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Mass Effect novel where a bad guy pissed on someone's house plant.
He also ate their cereal.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the longfellow translation, no less

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

shin megami tensei is also better than the source novels

they're so much better that the guy who wrote the original megami tensei novel wrote 'sequel novels' that were just novelizations of the early smt games

I dunno if that's really fair, the games exploded so much so unexpectedly and in so many different ways it's pretty divorced from being a typical adaption. Considering it's a video game franchise juggernaut(especially considering Persona) that many consider some of their favorite games ever, you can't really compare it to what's basically some random light reading. I'm sure it's perfectly serviceable for the time, genre, and intent. Sort of like A Clockwork Orange, or The Shining.

blackguy32 posted:

I never realized Rise of the Robots was popular enough to even warrant a novel. What a lovely fighting game. That being said, fighting games seem perfect to write stuff about considering what little backstory most of them have.

Rise of the Robots had tons of hype. Here's a really great video on it.

Accordion Man posted:

I also forgot to add that Harlan Ellison had a major part in I Have No Mouth's development, like helping to write it and voicing AM. I really like his take on AM, he just sounds so casual and routine most of the time, like horribly torturing his prisoners is just another day at the office, until he goes into scenery chewing insanity at the turn of a dime.

Sounds like an office worker to me!

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I've been reading the translation of "The Witcher book - The Last Wish".

If you loved the game you will absolutely enjoy the book. It is basically as if you were doing a quest in the game but instead of moving Geralt around with your hands, you move him around in your mind. The games captured the feel and style of the books perfectly (I've only played W3).

Seconding the recommendation for the Bioshock book, really entertaining read.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

tithin posted:

I love the resident evil novels

they're so god damned awful

This is what I came to post. If you found the plot of early Resident Evil games to be somewhat interesting, you're probably already in the mental mindset required to enjoy this terrible wonderful books. I recommend.

I've also read a City of Heroes novel that was about the origins of Statesman and Arachnos. That book was officially the worst thing I have ever read in my life. It's the only book I've ever read that I was 100% sure I could write better than the author. I do not recommend.

There's also a pretty good novelization of Metal Gear Solid 4. With so much dialogue and so many cutscenes it transcribes pretty easily to book form.

Oh yeah! There's also a really good book based on Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu. I read that one multiple times, I loved that trashy poo poo. It was very reminiscent of Batman: The Animated Series.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 29, 2016

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

The Halo Novels were pretty fun when I was 13 and really into the games, but then after Halo 2 microsoft studios gave them to Karen Traviss & Troy Denning and they poo poo the bed super hard on them, as they are wont to do.

The Command & Conquer 3 novelization was also hilariously terrible. Well worth seeking out. It made one guy so mad that he started writing a 50,000+ words grimdark WAR IS HELL fanfic to try and write a true novelization of the game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Crysis 2 novel by Peter Watts was pretty decent since it takes a couple of liberties with the plot and gives the main character an actual personality. It also taught me rape between flies is A Thing.

The Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 novels are glorified script dumps where the writer just copied and pasted the games'. The second one is the worst at this, while the first one has a brief added prologue and a handful of lines to tie it to MGS4 and also takes some liberties with Snake's character by making him say awful one-liners in a couple of parts while killing guards. There's one of MGS4 (with an afterword by Kojima) written by the late Project Itoh and from what little I read it seems fine even if the Japanese to English translation is awkward at times.

GUI fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 29, 2016

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
When I was a teen I read all the Blizzard game based novels. A few of them were pretty good, I especially remember a Starcraft one called Liberty's Crusade which had a unique reporter/grunt view of a zerg attack.

I also ate up all the Warcraft novel ones, which is pretty funny because I read all about Thrall and stuff before there was such a thing as Warcraft 3, and I always thought how would people understand the game as well if they never read the novels.

On the other hand, I never thought any of the Diablo ones were that good, which made me sad because Diablo II was the greatest game to me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

Yeah the first 2 mass effect novels were ok. But the 3rd one was baaad. The author never read the lore or played the games and it showed.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

TARDISman posted:

I read the Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 novels when I was 14. Goddamn they were just loving awful.

These books sucked. I never read the second one.

The first one features a dumb rear end main character killing his way through something similar to the game plot. Also all the good/fan favorite npcs get killed off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicToast posted:

When I was a teen I read all the Blizzard game based novels. A few of them were pretty good, I especially remember a Starcraft one called Liberty's Crusade which had a unique reporter/grunt view of a zerg attack.

I also ate up all the Warcraft novel ones, which is pretty funny because I read all about Thrall and stuff before there was such a thing as Warcraft 3, and I always thought how would people understand the game as well if they never read the novels.

On the other hand, I never thought any of the Diablo ones were that good, which made me sad because Diablo II was the greatest game to me.

Why were the Diablo books bad?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah the first 2 mass effect novels were ok. But the 3rd one was baaad. The author never read the lore or played the games and it showed.

That would be the forth actually. I would say the third was about the same caliber as the first two.

The forth was so bad that Bioware claimed that they would be producing a corrected version, which never came out.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
In finding out there were Metal Gear Solid novels - which I'm sure are dreck - I also found out there are Japanese audio dramas of MGS1 and Peace Walker. I wish they'd done English language versions, too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Veotax posted:

That would be the forth actually. I would say the third was about the same caliber as the first two.

The forth was so bad that Bioware claimed that they would be producing a corrected version, which never came out.
Ok yeah I forgot it was the forth. 2 and 3 blend together with me. But yeah, 4 is beyond awful. It gets so much wrong.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Ok yeah I forgot it was the forth. 2 and 3 blend together with me. But yeah, 4 is beyond awful. It gets so much wrong.

Enough to fill a fifteen page document.

Some of it is just spergy little details but then there are massive things like a character being described as having 'gotten over' her crippling Autism or the only gay character in the entire franchise (at that point) is suddenly straight.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my favorite videogame related novel is the one by MovieBob that documents the declining sanity of a man struggling to play videogames

http://www.p4rgaming.com/book-report-super-mario-bros-3-brick-by-brick-by-moviebob-aka-bob-chipman/

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veotax posted:

Enough to fill a fifteen page document.

Some of it is just spergy little details but then there are massive things like a character being described as having 'gotten over' her crippling Autism or the only gay character in the entire franchise (at that point) is suddenly straight.
calling them 'spergy little details' is kind of mean when the document itself acknowledges them as minor

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does the 'Worlds of Power' novel of Mega Man 2 count? :haw:

https://www.amazon.com/Mega-Man-2-Worlds-Power/dp/0590437720

I've read this more times than I can count. I actually read it before I was good enough to finish the game, so the descriptions of later bosses just blew my mind. I used to think 'no way is that what ACTUALLY happens. A dragon? Really? Yeah, right', and then :eyepop:

I also had the Super Mario World one, which was a neat CYOA book with an inventory! Read that waaay before I ever ended up playing the game, so it was really like they were describing some sort of bizarro Mario game.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Accordion Man posted:

And while I also haven't read it either, the original Planescape Torment novelization was awful just because it totally deviated from the game in utterly inferior ways. One big example is that Ravel and The Transcendent One aren't the main antagonists at all, Fjhull Fork Tongue is, that one minor character that appears in Baator that leads you to the Pillar of Skulls. It was so bad that some of the former dev team worked on a proper one that is now bundled with the game when you buy it on GOG.

I think I tried to read this. Is that the book that names The Nameless One almost immediately?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Not Operator posted:

I think I tried to read this. Is that the book that names The Nameless One almost immediately?
Yeah, that was another really bad thing about it too. TNO just gives himself a name.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

my favorite videogame related novel is the one by MovieBob that documents the declining sanity of a man struggling to play videogames

http://www.p4rgaming.com/book-report-super-mario-bros-3-brick-by-brick-by-moviebob-aka-bob-chipman/

oh yeah. that sadbrain gently caress. he is writting another book apperently. he is going fulmacintosh and writing a book about what the gaming industry needs to do to change and poo poo. knowing him its probaly 1. sell only nintendo games. 2. ban shooters because the evil jock bro consevatives who picked on me in high school play them. and 3. hur dur all games need to be left leaning politicaly.

also, not a novel but the prototype comic is the edgyist tryhard poo poo i ever read outside of the Flesh Tearers warhammer 40k books.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can't even accuse that dude of leaning left politically, that implies he actually gets what he stands for. from what i can tell he pretty much co-opted that stuff and either doesn't get why people legitimately care about it or doesn't care. it's super transparent that he just wants to seem like 'the good guy.'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

you can't even accuse that dude of leaning left politically, that implies he actually gets what he stands for. from what i can tell he pretty much co-opted that stuff and either doesn't get why people legitimately care about it or doesn't care. it's super transparent that he just wants to seem like 'the good guy.'

good point. he basically does it so he can look "cool super progressive good man" and have hipsters and wankers "cultural critics/"detectives" like farci and macintosh be friends with him and respect him, even though they would throw him under the bus fast as gently caress. so he sells himself and his own hobby down the river for clicks and pats on the back. because the console war was his personal vietnam or some poo poo.

back on the novel topic. the assassins creed books are ok especialy 3 since its mostly following haythem. also they are making young adult novels for AC. https://www.amazon.com/Last-Descend...assassins+creed

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 29, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There were two Elder Scrolls books that were about what happens between Oblivion and Skyrim. They weren't bad, but the plot was remarkably boring for the setting the author was writing. All the background stuff like how the Empire fell to pieces due to a constantly rotating series of Emperors and warlords taking over in Patrick Stewart's stead, Red Mountain exploding and Morrowind being destroyed, Argonia getting hosed by the floating island from Oblivion that the actual plot was taking place on were way cooler than "alchemist and friend get trapped on floating island, alchemist becomes chef for increasingly ethereal beings with increasingly ethereal palates that rule the island and friend gets enslaved working to keep the island going with a bunch of clone-being slaves constructed from what the island was floating over and leads a revolt, also the daedric lord whose offer no one ever takes up because the sword was better" shows up, along with the sword which is secretly a demon. The subplots even wind up taking over partly and it turns out the main plot largely didn't matter in favor of the rest of it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 29, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

There were two Elder Scrolls books that were about what happens between Oblivion and Skyrim. They weren't bad, but the plot was remarkably boring for the setting the author was writing. All the background stuff like how the Empire fell to pieces due to a constantly rotating series of Emperors and warlords taking over in Patrick Stewart's stead, Red Mountain exploding and Morrowind being destroyed, Argonia getting hosed by the floating island from Oblivion that the actual plot was taking place on were way cooler than "alchemist and friend get trapped on floating island, alchemist becomes chef for increasingly ethereal beings with increasingly ethereal palates that rule the island and friend gets enslaved working to keep the island going with a bunch of clone-being slaves constructed from what the island was floating over and leads a revolt, also the daedric lord whose offer no one ever takes up because the sword was better" shows up, along with the sword which is secretly a demon. The subplots even wind up taking over partly and it turns out the main plot largely didn't matter in favor of the rest of it.

i need to read those and i am sure my GF would also like them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i need to read those and i am sure my GF would also like them.

They were nice, light reads, if you like Elder Scrolls definitely go for it. I just couldn't help but think the entire time that the setting was really cool and interesting, but what was actually happening on it wasn't for a lot of it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ToxicToast posted:

I forgot that I read this. Liberty's Crusade is indeed good and basically a novelization of the Terran campaign from Starcraft 1. I'm also recalling a Starcraft 2 prequel novel that I enjoyed.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

They were nice, light reads, if you like Elder Scrolls definitely go for it. I just couldn't help but think the entire time that the setting was really cool and interesting, but what was actually happening on it wasn't for a lot of it.
That's pretty much a problem with the games in general really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Fagmaster posted:

I think I still have copy of Baldur's gate novelization somewhere, I bought it out of curiosity from stand in some random airport or train station.

It is really really really bad.

The Friendly Arms Inn.

• Locked thread