Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

President Samuel "Sam" Houston

We've won our freedom but the fight's not over yet! We need to wage war on inefficient government!

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

On money: I love gold. The look of it, the taste of it, the smell of it, the texture. Any currency printed by the government should, of course, be backed by specie held in our national bank.

As far as land goes, we could perhaps establish an agency dedicated to distributing land claims. I would propose to appoint Mr Carl Solms-Braunfels as head of this agency, on condition he renounces any titles of nobility, as per the Texan Constitution.

The Texan Rangers could be placed in charge of enforcing the adjudications of the land agency.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I will place your appointment on the agenda. The house will vote its conscience, and whether officials can hold existing titles will be taken to the Supreme Court.

quote:

Agenda of the Congress of the Republic of Texas, Late 1836

Issue:
-A lack of a unified currency
Proposals:
-Issue an official currency immediately, under the authority of the Republic. Exact exchange rates would be to be determined, with an eye towards maximizing Texan economic competitiveness.
-Currency tied to the gold standard

Issue:
-A lack of settlers to develop the land
Proposals:
-Issue stipends of Texan currency to any immigrant willing to settle within our borders
-Grant land to German settlers
-Create a Land Agency, place Texan Rangers under the authority of the Land Agency

Issue:
-Interpretation of the 8th right declared in the constitution
Proposals:
-Appoint Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels to head the land agency and allow the Supreme Court to adjudicate whether office holders are barred from holding existing titles of nobility

If the Supreme Court decides the 8th right extends to all titles, you will need to renounce the title.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I believe that to build a credible independent nation, we must adhere to conventional wisdom on matters such as the economy, the division of powers, and the sovereignty of nations.

Thus, we should adopt the gold standard, as every other civilised nation has.

We should accept the Supreme Court's ruling on our constitution, not attempt to interpret it ourselves.

And finally, we should acknowledge the sovereignty of the Indian nations to our West, and create a centralised standing army to defend ourselves from other sovereign nations, with our police forces (however well meaning and skilled) dealing with civil matters, such as property disputes and law enforcement.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

We cannot hold the Western claims, but by helping to elevate the Indians to the level of White civilisation through adoption of a Westphalian state, we can support one another's claims and sovereignty against potential Mexican, French and Spanish aggression.

This is the only feasible route to a stable republic without prostituting ourselves to the Yankees.

We can acquire gold through taxation and tariffs, as every civilised nation does. I have immense faith in the administrative abilities of our Treasurer, Henry Smith.

We can discuss specifics on tax and trade policy, if you wish.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

The Indians, far from being savages, are some of our best potential allies for maintaining our independence from the Mexican tyrants. Tyrants who, let us not forget, abolished slavery in 1810, wrote their error into their constitution, and even elected a Negro as president in 1829!

The Indians understand the natural order of slavery, and they can be civilised, whereas the Mexicans believe that they have surpassed us and that we are backwards yokels who need to be brought to heel.

Our navy is the key to maintaining our independence and our way of life, and it must be maintained with all the prudence and foresight of a civilised nation which pays its debts rather than inflate them away with printed notes.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Smith's arguments are very persuasive, we shouldn't adopt the gold standard yet.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I believe all the Indian tribes should be recognised as sovereign nations that should ultimately form a federation under the Texan government, with autonomous social orders and clearly delineated territories. The Texan government would be the ultimate authority only for matters of war and foreign policy. In this way we would cease hostilities against one another and help support our independence from Mexico.

This policy should extend to the Comanche, if they can bring themselves to accept it.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Carbajal, I'm sorry but I think you will need to seek justice in the courts.

Mr Rusk, the Texas Rangers are a civilian police force, not part of the armed forces. I believe they will be well qualified for use in the frontier regions acting to enforce Texan jurisdiction over the most valuable resource there: land.

I have every intention of increasing funding to the army to improve its size and quality. However the Treasurer wishes to focus the state's finances on infrastructure spending which seems reasonable.

I would like your department, Mr Rusk, to spend its time in the coming months drawing up plans for a series of fortified garrisons to be built on the border of Commanche lands, and training regimes for the troops stationed within them.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Lamar, any Indian who gives up the nomadic lifestyle and becomes a hard-working Christian farmer will be a great boon to the Texan republic, as it will be one fewer potential raider harassing our rear, and one more gun lent to the defence of the sacred motherland when Mexico next invades. Wasting valuable manpower by bickering over trivialities is truly absurd when we face an existential threat.

I intend to help pass legislation to recognise the autonomous sovereignty of any tribal nation which gives up its claim to roam the land, accepts land grants to settle on, and accepts Texan jurisdiction over war and foreign policy. We can rely on our preachers to convert them.

Mr Henderson, it's true that the land given to settlers will only become more valuable as time passes, while the firearms will wear down and become obsolete, but the settlers themselves are the true prize, as they will be yet more bricks added to the wall that will keep Mexico out.

Mr Solms-Braunfels, if you can negotiate the trade of land for weapons for our militias, I'm sure the legislature will look much more more favourably on any proposal to help appoint you to a role in the government.

Mr Smith, I would appreciate it if you would introduce your economic reforms clearly delineated, so that all three of them (infrastructure spending, fiat currency and tax and tariff reductions) can be voted on according to their own merits.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Smith, I thank you for the detailed legislation.

I must admit I am dubious about the utility of railroads in Texas, however. As I understand it, they are mostly used for moving goods from inland mines and farms to ports for export by sea, which would make them less useful for lateral connexions between settlements with existing sea ports.

I also disapprove of a reduction in taxes on the sale of land, as citizens are already guaranteed a land claim by the constitution, hence this would merely assist speculators in grabbing land which is not put to use but sold on for a profit. We also need hard currency for army expansions in the future.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Viral Warfare posted:

James Pinckney Henderson

The Indian is lacking in the more noble properties of the white race, Mr. President- that is, he is crucially missing the faculties common to the European and the Anglo. If your intent is to reorganize the territory of the Indian into homesteads- perhaps more appropriately, and more unofficially, corrals to better contain their savagery- recognition of these terms the Comanche people have presented us with seems to be in order. These terms can be worn away to fit more appropriately our own agenda with the aid of that grand sculptor, Time, and we've little to lose in the process.

The Mexicans are a greater threat than the Indians. We should therefore bring the Indians up to our level of civilisation, to pacify a potential enemy and create an ally with the same stroke.

The attempt must be made, for the sake of the continued existence of the Republic.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

General Seguín, I think it would please the gentlemen of the legislature if you performed regular sweeps of areas known to be inhabited by bandits, and apprehended or incapacitated suspected thieves, murderers and smugglers.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

As I understand it, these are the items that under consideration that will be written up as laws and voted on:

Agenda of the Congress of the Republic of Texas, Late 1836

Issue:
-A lack of a unified currency
Proposals:
-Issue an official currency immediately, under the authority of the Republic. Exact exchange rates would be to be determined, with an eye towards maximizing Texan economic competitiveness.

Issue:
-Poor infrastructure
Proposals:
-Create an Improvements Agency under the authority of the Treasury
-Fund expansion of port facilities in major settlements
-Fund construction of road and bridge connexions between settlements, farms and military fortifications

Issue:
-Weak economy
Proposals:
-Lower export tariffs on agricultural goods for 2 years

Issue:
-A lack of settlers to develop the land
Proposals:
-Issue stipends of Texan currency to any immigrant willing to settle within our borders
-Grant land to German settlers
-Create a Land Agency under the authority of the Treasury, place Texan Rangers under the authority of the Land Agency
-Care should be taken so that no settler should be able to take the land of any current Citizen of the Republic, Tejano, Anglo or otherwise

Issue:
-Interpretation of the 8th right declared in the constitution
Proposals:
-Appoint Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels to head the land agency and allow the Supreme Court to adjudicate whether office holders are barred from holding existing titles of nobility

Issue:
-The lack of funding for our military and police forces
Proposals:
-Publicly fund the Texas Rangers
-Work a deal with German states to get access to quality arms or armament materials

Issue:
-Ambiguous relationship with the Indian tribes
Proposals:
-Formally recognise the autonomous sovereignty of tribes which agree to give up nomadism

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 30, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

My apologies Mr Smith, I knew I forgot something. I've added both proposals to the above agenda. I hope it is now satisfactory.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

For the consideration of the legislature:

Land Agency Act 1836

An Act to Create a Land Agency under authority of the Treasury; to establish the extent of the Agency's powers; to make provision for enforcement of the Agency's decisions; and to establish the appointment by the President of a Commissioner of the Land Agency.

1. The Land Agency will have authority over public lands held by the State of Texas.
2. The Land Agency will be responsible for distributing land grants to citizens pursuant to Section 10 of the General Provisions of the 1836 Constitution of Texas
3. The Land Agency will have the power to remove vagrants, squatters, bandits, nomadic Indians and Mexicans from public land
4. The Land Agency will have dispensation to command the Texan Rangers to uphold its authority
5. The Land Agency will be headed by a Commissioner, elected at the same time as the President, and serving for the same period of time
6. The Land Agency will be responsible for the sale of lands dictated by the Department of the Treasury
7. All proceeds from sales of land will go to the Department of the Treasury
8. Personnel other than the Commissioner will be hired and salaried by the Department of the Treasury
9. All sales and grants of land will be audited by the Department of the Treasury

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 31, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Takanago posted:

Sam, I have to ask. Do you intend to use this act to appoint Prince Carl to be the head of this land agency? That would put him, a foreign prince, in charge of distributing land to people like himself?

If so, I must oppose this.

The Act will take 6 months to pass and come into effect, which will give Mr Solms-Braunfels time to apply for citizenship. If he declines to take up citizenship, or if the Supreme Court decides he must give up his titles and he refuses, then I will appoint our good Treasurer, Mr Smith, as Commissioner.

From the General Provisions of the Constitution:

Sec. 6. All free white persons who shall emigrate to this republic, and who shall, after a residence of six months, make oath before some competent authority that he intends to reside permanently in the same, and shall swear to support this constitution, and that he will bear true allegiance to the republic of Texas, shall be entitled to all the privileges of citizenship.

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 30, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Let it be noted that the good Vice President doubts the loyalty of those hard-working protestants who risk the dangers of crossing the Atlantic to be here.

I do not doubt them: I believe they will secure the independence of Texas from Mexico.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I am willing to change the office of Commissioner to a position elected by the general citizenry, if the good Vice President agrees to support the recognition of the autonomous sovereignty of any Indian tribes which give up nomadism and settle on lands granted by Texas.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

For the consideration of the legislature:

Indian Nations Act 1836

An Act to formalise relations with the Indian tribes; to encourage their settlement on farmland; to encourage them to accept the Republic of Texas as their supreme authority; and to grant them autonomy within the Republic of Texas.

1. Congress shall have the power to designate a group of people as an Indian Nation if it is composed largely or solely of non-White persons without citizenship
2. An Indian Nation must be larger than 100 persons
3. The Government of the Republic of Texas shall grant an area of land (known as an Indian Homestead) to an Indian Nation that is accepted as a Settled Tribe
4. Members of an Indian Nation designated as a Settled Tribe by Congress will not be subject to the civil and criminal laws of the Republic of Texas when within their Indian Homestead
5. An Indian Nation may apply for status from Congress as a Settled Tribe if it:
(a) Agrees to give up any claim on land outside its Indian Homestead
(b) Agrees to abide by the civil and criminal law of the Republic of Texas when outside its Indian Homestead
(c) Agrees to assist the Republic in wars
5. The Indian Homestead shall measure 1 league and labour for each adult male in the Nation at the time it was recognised as a Settled Tribe
6. Land granted to the Settled Tribe as its Homestead must be contiguous
7. The Homestead shall remain the possession of the Settled Tribe in perpetuity

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Smith, I thank you for your support. I expect that with the proposed Land Agency under your Department, the Texan government will become a well oiled machine, efficiently dispensing law.

Mr Lamar, I thank you for your prompt response.

Mr Carbajal, I agree that you are a very well qualified candidate for Commissioner. In light of recent discussions with Vice President Lamar, I agree that having the position be elected rather than appointed would be much more conducive to effective government. If the legislation passes, I will endorse your election as its first Commissioner.

Chief Bowl, I thank you for your agreeableness towards the plan. I expect the government could make use of your people's labour in exchange for payment in cash or kind, but that would be for the Departments of War and the Treasury to decide upon.

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 30, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

For the interest of the general public, some calculations. The Indian Nations Act 1836 states:

5. The Indian Homestead shall measure 1 league and labour for each adult male in the Nation at the time it was recognised as a Settled Tribe

This would mean, assuming the higher estimate of 60,000 Indians living within Texas, with 10,000 assumed to be adult men, 10,000 * 177 acres = 1,770,000 acres, + 10,000 * 4,428 acres = 44,280,000 acres, for a total of 46,050,000 acres of land granted to Indian Nations in perpetuity. For reference, the Republic of Texas currently claims land equal in area to 249,066,240 acres.

I believe the Republic is able to accept autonomy within one fifth of its claimed area in exchange for the eternal allegiance of the Indian Nations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Chief Bowls, I believe the original agreement was 2.5 million acres. Assuming your tribe now has 200 adult men, you will be entitled by this provision to about 1 million acres. It's not satisfactory, but it's more likely to pass Congress. I am very sorry.

Mr Lamar, I thank you for your contributions. In light of your words, I will be making various adjustments to the organisation of the armed forces, pursuant to Article 6, Section 7 of the Constitution, which will become apparent in the months to come.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I've forwarded these proposed pieces of legislation to the legislature [submitted my turn to rumsod]

Please note that the Land Agency Commissioner is now a popularly elected office, serving coterminously with the President.

Enjoy posted:

Land Agency Act 1836

An Act to Create a Land Agency under authority of the Treasury; to establish the extent of the Agency's powers; to make provision for enforcement of the Agency's decisions; and to establish the appointment by the President of a Commissioner of the Land Agency.

1. The Land Agency will have authority over public lands held by the State of Texas.
2. The Land Agency will be responsible for distributing land grants to citizens pursuant to Section 10 of the General Provisions of the 1836 Constitution of Texas
3. The Land Agency will have the power to remove vagrants, squatters, bandits, nomadic Indians and Mexicans from public land
4. The Land Agency will have dispensation to command the Texan Rangers to uphold its authority
5. The Land Agency will be headed by a Commissioner, elected at the same time as the President, and serving for the same period of time
6. The Land Agency will be responsible for the sale of lands dictated by the Department of the Treasury
7. All proceeds from sales of land will go to the Department of the Treasury
8. Personnel other than the Commissioner will be hired and salaried by the Department of the Treasury
9. All sales and grants of land will be audited by the Department of the Treasury

Enjoy posted:

Indian Nations Act 1836

An Act to formalise relations with the Indian tribes; to encourage their settlement on farmland; to encourage them to accept the Republic of Texas as their supreme authority; and to grant them autonomy within the Republic of Texas.

1. Congress shall have the power to designate a group of people as an Indian Nation if it is composed largely or solely of non-White persons without citizenship
2. An Indian Nation must be larger than 100 persons
3. The Government of the Republic of Texas shall grant an area of land (known as an Indian Homestead) to an Indian Nation that is accepted as a Settled Tribe
4. Members of an Indian Nation designated as a Settled Tribe by Congress will not be subject to the civil and criminal laws of the Republic of Texas when within their Indian Homestead
5. An Indian Nation may apply for status from Congress as a Settled Tribe if it:
(a) Agrees to give up any claim on land outside its Indian Homestead
(b) Agrees to abide by the civil and criminal law of the Republic of Texas when outside its Indian Homestead
(c) Agrees to assist the Republic in wars
6. Land granted to the Settled Tribe as its Homestead must be contiguous
7. The Homestead shall remain the possession of the Settled Tribe in perpetuity

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Thank you, Mr Morrell. With the aid of charismatic pastors and ministers such as yourself, the Indians will soon see the light of the true faith and adopt civilised ways, becoming our stalwart brothers-in-arms against the Mexican tyrants.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I thank the legislature for their foresight in creating the Land Agency. I am appointing the Treasurer, Henry Smith, as interim Commissioner, until the post is filled via election.

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Paper With Lines posted:

Samuel Seward

Seward writes an open letter to President Houston

Dear. Mr President,

The Glanton Gang is caused by the unique combination of lack of opportunity and lawlessness in the Republic. While you and I agree on many things, your lack of support for the tariff bill is questionable. While your wavering support of private enterprise is one thing, your endorsement of public safety is well known. No one could legitimately question your commitment to the maintenance of public safety.

That said, even with the Republic spending most of its budget on public safety, very few of us feel safe. In a very real way, protecting ourselves from bandits and other threats has become a personal problem. I have seen reports which suggest that folks that range from frontiersmen to myself feel the need to take up the mantle of defense. Your own Vice President had his house robbed. This makes me wonder... If the Government feels the need to keep its coffers sufficiently high to hinder private enterprise in order pay for the common defense, and the common defense is broken, then why aren't we reevaluating government priorities?

Mr. President, what do you think the role of Government is? At what point does the government get too big? More pointedly, what should citizens do when the government spends significant amounts of money on something that is evidently ineffectual?

Your supporter,

Samuel Seward

Dear Mr Seward,

I believe the tax burden upon Texan citizens is a necessary evil to protect us from lawlessness. I do not believe private enterprise to be hindered by paying our armed forces and police. On the contrary, without the state's monopoly on violence, free exchange in an open market would be impossible, and society would revert to a war of all against all. The solution to a breakdown of order is not to throw one's hands in the air and give up on upholding the law, but on the contrary, to devote more of society's resources to combating it.

Therefore I do not find merit in your suggestion that we should re-evaluate our priorities.

If you have specific suggestions on improving the effectiveness of government, however, I encourage you to lobby your local legislator to propose a bill.

Many thanks for your correspondence,
Sam Houston
President

• Locked thread