Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I think you misspelled "generic" op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sonofsilversign posted:

take a multivitamin and fiber supplement and you can live off protien shakes woth no ill effects i did it when i was poor

i dont think telling fat people to eat less food that is also less fatty / sugary is going to help buddy, just a feeling

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mdm posted:

I think you misspelled "generic" op

No he spelled it right he's jealous of fatties.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

AugmentedVision posted:

"Eating salad makes you skinny" is actually a pretty useless attitude for weight loss

I'm not even talking about the fact that fat people put 1000 calories of dressing, bacon and croutons on their salad

In a broad sense, if you want to lose weight, you should focus on what not to eat, not what to eat. It's baffling, but lots and lots of people in this world are stupid enough to think if you eat like poo poo and then add salad on top of it, that's somehow a good thing.

Yes I know, I'm not saying "Eat salad to lose weight" I'm saying "Fatties eat 5kg of crap then claim eating healthy would not help because its genetic"

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Fat Shat Sings posted:

if i didn't have a good metabolism i would definitely be one of the people complaining about genetics even though I take zero care of myself or my diet

"good metabolism" = "low appetite", really. The differences between people's ability to process food and store fat are very small.

It's common to think "look at that skinny guy who eats Chipotle and 5 Guys all the time, he has such a fast metabolism!", but then if you actually track his calories, you'll realize that one meal at Chipotle is the majority of what he eats in a given day, compared to fat people who are snacking constantly

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

AugmentedVision posted:

"good metabolism" = "low appetite", really. The differences between people's ability to process food and store fat are very small.

It's common to think "look at that skinny guy who eats Chipotle and 5 Guys all the time, he has such a fast metabolism!", but then if you actually track his calories, you'll realize that one meal at Chipotle is the majority of what he eats in a given day, compared to fat people who are snacking constantly

uhhh no? I eat anywhere from 3,000 - 5,000 calories a day and never go past 200lbs. I don't exercise at all and what I'm eating is the worst possible food.

Maybe something is medically wrong with me which is possible.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Fat Shat Sings posted:

uhhh no? I eat anywhere from 3,000 - 5,000 calories a day and never go past 200lbs. I don't exercise at all and what I'm eating is the worst possible food.

Maybe something is medically wrong with me which is possible.

Like that chick that lost a crapton of weight and got semi famous selling her amazing new easy diet system.

Then learned the weight loss was caused by her undiagnosed terminal cancer.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
it's possible i'm attributing terminal cancer to a fast metabolism.

that i can blame on genetics

gingrich
May 26, 2007

i'm the osiris of this shit
exercise is totes hard you guys

http://webm.land/media/VZvx.webm

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carmant posted:

You literally said it like a page ago

No I didnt

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sonofsilversign posted:

take a multivitamin and fiber supplement and you can live off protien shakes woth no ill effects i did it when i was poor

Hey protein buddy

all the other kids in college ate rice and pasta when times got hard, but I bought a potato sack of mystery protein off eBay and ate that instead. it's much cheaper and has the bonus effect of suppressing your appetite, so you don't even feel like you are starving for real nutrition.

probably gave me cancer and brain damage, but who cares? cancer is gonna get cured in a decade or two and I don't need my brain anyway since I'm done with school

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fat is beautiful

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Sonofsilversign posted:

the brightest mind in his field the most lauded man in food engineering peers down his microscope in his billion dollar laboratory "finally after 40 years of research and testing it is finished" he whispers the sweat beading on his forehead as his tweezers ever so gently place the last grain of salt "finally my life's work is complete" he straightens his back stiff from decades of sugar balancing and announces to his enraptured colleges "i have created DORITOS® JACKED™ Spicy Street Taco flavor!" a single tear rolls down his face as the applause begins

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There could definitely be a cultural aspect of it. I noticed that cultures where most socialization involves food, and not just a light meal but basically eating constantly for hours on end are more likely to have people that are overweight. They get used to eating constantly and like to cook 'comfort foods'. People can grossly underestimate how much they've eaten when they were grazing on food all day, and growing up in a culture like that a person gets very accustomed to associating socializing with eating. Trying to change up the routine makes them feel hungry/starving all the time and sticking to a better eating routine can be really hard, especially when they continue to be surrounded by people eating the same 'comfort food'.

If you get raised with terrible eating habits changing them as an adult is a lot harder than simply maintaining good eating habits the whole time. And adults that were raised with terrible eating habits will likely pass on these bad habits to their children.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
so include 30min of Nutrition in school once every month since kids are too dumb to know what to eat. Gotta start learning this poo poo sometime

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

runupon cracker posted:

losing weight is easy, just eat less and move more

~somebody who believes abstinence-only education works too
You are so stupid you actually believe all this don't you?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Zzulu posted:

so include 30min of Nutrition in school once every month since kids are too dumb to know what to eat. Gotta start learning this poo poo sometime

At the risk of blowing a small phenomenon mostly confined to the Internet out of proportion, I wonder how worried policymakers are about HAES and offending fat people in general by doing this

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

runupon cracker posted:

losing weight is easy, just eat less and move more

~somebody who believes abstinence-only education works too

burning more calories than I consume doesn't make me lose weight.

~somebody who believes their special snowflake body magically poofs fat into existence inside it thereby violating the 1st law of thermodynamics

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 4, 2016

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
my thyroid causes me to eat biggie size triple baconator meals for lunch and dinner

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

eric posted:

my thyroid causes me to eat biggie size triple baconator meals for lunch and dinner

I had 3 pork chops, kumara and a bowl full of mixed veges followed by a dirty great scone and most of a box of fathers day chocolates for dinner last night.

Luckily my thyroid causes me to gym almost daily, bike an hour daily and consider the options when picking food.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

scientifically proven. a fat person would mop up at the olympics if only they could manage to step up on the blocks first

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
There's that Icelandic dude who got shipwrecked and was the only survivor, even after spending hours in freezing water and then crawling over lava rocks in wet clothes in the wind and poo poo. His buddies died in minutes. Turns out he had a rare gene that made him produce a lot of brown fat. Is that the baby fat? Anyway, his fat was mega good at insulating.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Breakfast All Day posted:

scientifically proven. a fat person would mop up at the olympics if only they could manage to step up on the blocks first

I'd laugh as the blocks snapped in half from whales trying to balance on them

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
that and when the pool half emptied after they managed to fall in

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Olympic obese-class high-dive belly-flop, competing for largest splash, loudest noise and reddest skin, would absolve the IOC of its sins.

E: I guess you could do both faceplant and backplant. They'd be one continuous bruise for a week.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 4, 2016

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

AugmentedVision posted:

At the risk of blowing a small phenomenon mostly confined to the Internet out of proportion, I wonder how worried policymakers are about HAES and offending fat people in general by doing this

many policy makers are fat people many more have fat spouses fat brothers and sisters fat children and every day they get fatter it is already too late

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

AugmentedVision posted:

HAES is awful. It should be used to provide support for dumb people that become anorexic/bulimic since they have hosed up body images for one reason or another. Instead it gets used for the morbidly obese to say they are healthy.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Azuth0667 posted:

HAES is awful. It should be used to provide support for dumb people that become anorexic/bulimic since they have hosed up body images for one reason or another. Instead it gets used for the morbidly obese to say they are healthy.

Yeah my buddy's sister was bulimic -- not fat at all just body dysmorphia

She went to treatment and suddenly wouldn't shut the gently caress up about HAES? Like what the gently caress did they tell her at treatment and why was it "being fat is OK" and not "you're not fat, idiot"

I guess you're saying that's the proper thing to do but IDGI, why tell her being fat is OK instead of trying to fix her hosed perception

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah my buddy's sister was bulimic -- not fat at all just body dysmorphia

She went to treatment and suddenly wouldn't shut the gently caress up about HAES? Like what the gently caress did they tell her at treatment and why was it "being fat is OK" and not "you're not fat, idiot"

I guess you're saying that's the proper thing to do but IDGI, why tell her being fat is OK instead of trying to fix her hosed perception

I'm guessing because fats won't continue to pay for "treatment" where someone tells them they are gross and can fix it with work but will pay for someone to tell them they are healthy and will go back and pay for the same speech over and over

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
She wasn't a delusional fat person though, she was a delusional normal person though? Do they not have separate treatment facilities/methods?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

AugmentedVision posted:

She wasn't a delusional fat person though, she was a delusional normal person though? Do they not have separate treatment facilities/methods?

gently caress if I know

stump collector
May 28, 2007
thin privilege is thinking you're not special because you're thin!!

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Sonofsilversign posted:

Lol that must have done wonders for your bowels

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Whatev posted:

Lol that must have done wonders for your bowels

That's what the fiber is for, it makes your turds top tier no matter what you eat

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
i pooped like twice a week it was actually pretty convenient probably not great for gut flora tho

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Actually had to look up HAES. What the gently caress is that?
'Focusing on health and wellbeing rather than weight control'?
What the actual gently caress?
If you want health and wellbeing weight control is like the most important and controllable aspect.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Sialia posted:

Actually had to look up HAES. What the gently caress is that?
'Focusing on health and wellbeing rather than weight control'?
What the actual gently caress?
If you want health and wellbeing weight control is like the most important and controllable aspect.

HAES is just short hand for "I have given up on up life but I'm no where near brave enough to actually consider suicide so I tell myself that my wildly out of shape self is just healthy as someone who puts in time to exercise."

They are also so used to felling kinda lovely that they think that's the normal when rest of us don't even feel that same level of bad that when we have the flu.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

jackyl posted:

I'm guessing because fats won't continue to pay for "treatment" where someone tells them they are gross and can fix it with work but will pay for someone to tell them they are healthy and will go back and pay for the same speech over and over

tangentially related but in the Star Citizen thread their community manager and his wife have ballooned to like 500-600 pounds.

He was hospitalized for life threatening sepsis and in the images on twitter you can see literature for healthy eating and losing weight the hospital gave him, and info on my fitness tracker.

Immediately after being released he posted on twitter about getting delivery cheesecake factory, followed a few days later by angry tweets about how the doctor said he was healthy and he doesn't understand why people keep telling him to lose weight.

followed by a tweet where he was eating a chocolate sauce / oreo and marshmallow cream sandwich the size of a cake.

So yeah, i can definitely see people paying for validation like that, since they will make it up if they have to. An "Official" message of validation probably saves them that little feeling of shame when they are stuffing their face. I can come up with ______ reason to eat an entire cake but if I have a doctor say my lifestyle is healthy I can be reassured in my decision to eat an entire cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
hoe do you only poop twice a week

i poopeevery day and theyre decently sized poops

, how can you carry around so much fecaal matter in your guts if you only popp twice a week

• Locked thread