Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Sonofsilversign posted:

Lol

So i live in new zealand and recently the first generation of super fats reached 30/40 and have started dropping like flies. This is creating a significant problem in mortuaries as the only real infrastructure to deal with them are gurney winch things which top out at around 300lb. The influx of fatties is gonna necessitate the purchase of literal corpse cranes and probably the total rebuilding of the country's largest morgues.

thats my story thanks for reading

Corpse crane is the name of my metal band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

KVeezy3 posted:

Social ostracism isn't powerful enough to combat obesity. At some point, we need to consider what that means for the world.

It's not that it's not "powerful enough" it's that it often has the opposite effect. Because sad people try to make themselves comfortable, and shaming them makes them sad. And eating makes people happy...soooooo...

The best way to help someone you care about lose weight is to take them to fun places where eating isn't a major activity and be supportive of their efforts to lose weight.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Hate Fibration posted:

It's not that it's not "powerful enough" it's that it often has the opposite effect. Because sad people try to make themselves comfortable, and shaming them makes them sad. And eating makes people happy...soooooo...

The best way to help someone you care about lose weight is to take them to fun places where eating isn't a major activity and be supportive of their efforts to lose weight.

So the solution is to have those close around you take care of it? And this process is supposed to go on indefinitely I presume?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
People have known for ages that fatties have fat kids and that like everything else, you inherit traits from your parents genetically. Like cool we have some evidence of that now but this aint new knowledge.

Your ancestors lived and died with your genes without being fat. Get off your butt and lose some weight. I probably have the gene for eating a lot, all the men in my family are morbidly obese but me. I used to be chubby but I cut sugarry drinks and now I'm a skinny af eating whatever I want. Its p easy to be not fat.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I can't finish a can of soda these days. I think I want it, I take like 6 sips, then the mostly full can just gets warm and flat.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

KVeezy3 posted:

Hunger is an output of a very complex system. America's obesity is a disease of capitalism. If you eat garbage processed foods, you will constantly be hungry because you're most likely highly insulin resistant. So you're both overweight and starving. Make steamed vegetables and fresh whole fruits 50-75% of your diet and come back and tell me that your genetically derived hunger drive is too strong.

Yeah just eat lots of sugar filled fruit

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

8 track betamax posted:

I know it's preferable to live in a world of simple rules like "sugar = bad", but we don't.

It's basically impossible to eat enough fruit that the sugar content exceeds healthy levels. In general they have lots of water and fiber and you'll feel full way before overeating. Then during digestion, the sugars take a lot of time to break down unlike corn syrup which just explodes into your liver. If everyone switched to a diet of 100% fruit (not even including veggies!), obesity would basically disappear. I think a few high sugar density exceptions exist though.

For example:

quote:

Dr. David Ludwig, the director of the New Balance Foundation Obesity Prevention Center at Boston Children’s Hospital, said that sugar consumed in fruit is not linked to any adverse health effects, no matter how much you eat. In a recent perspective piece in The Journal of the American Medical Association, he cited observational studies that showed that increased fruit consumption is tied to lower body weight and a lower risk of obesity-associated diseases.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/?referer=

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I guess now you have two types of fat jeans, op.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

8 track betamax posted:

The fiber in fruit slows sugar absorption.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Zo posted:

I know it's preferable to live in a world of simple rules like "sugar = bad", but we don't.

It's basically impossible to eat enough fruit that the sugar content exceeds healthy levels. In general they have lots of water and fiber and you'll feel full way before overeating. Then during digestion, the sugars take a lot of time to break down unlike corn syrup which just explodes into your liver. If everyone switched to a diet of 100% fruit (not even including veggies!), obesity would basically disappear. I think a few high sugar density exceptions exist though.

For example:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/?referer=

Actually the sugar in fruit makes it so your body switches to "store up fat" metabolism because it thinks it's harvest time and winter is comeing. Eat mega nuts and meats instead and grow huge muscles by doing dead lifts and then get back to me when you have the body of a sahel tribesmen and we can discuss your faggy fruit diet

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
This is that great video where very overweight people insist they are healthy and exercise regularly, yet are obese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6mMpE8AaA0

Also the source of that video where a large lady is asked whether she is healthy and she goes off on one saying that he is being healthist or something.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Squeeze your right butt cheek two times and click on your left nipple to put the body into harvest mode

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

8 track betamax posted:

Actually the sugar in fruit makes it so your body switches to "store up fat" metabolism because it thinks it's harvest time and winter is comeing. Eat mega nuts and meats instead and grow huge muscles by doing dead lifts and then get back to me when you have the body of a sahel tribesmen and we can discuss your faggy fruit diet

Being a fag is cool tho

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I sexually identify as a combine harvester

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

actionjackson posted:

Being a fag is cool tho

No, lighting up a fag is cool. And also a good weight loss trick

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hmm these people eating 6k cal daily must just have bad genetics!!

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

People have known for ages that fatties have fat kids and that like everything else, you inherit traits from your parents genetically. Like cool we have some evidence of that now but this aint new knowledge.

it's no wonder science gets misinterpreted or disregarded by the public all the time when this is the level of reasoning a lot of people employ

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

8 track betamax posted:

No, lighting up a fag is cool. And also a good weight loss trick

You put fags in your mouth?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So is this thread considered fatphobic hatespeech in QCS?

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

what's the problem with fat people? i don't get it

i become more attractive by comparison every single day thanks to obesity

it's a good thing

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

and all i have to do to maintain this competitive advantage is not eat garbage and exercise, which makes me feel good anyway

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Frosted Flake posted:

So is this thread considered fatphobic hatespeech in QCS?

A disturbance was felt a full 10 seconds before the post was made.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Mandator posted:

it's a good thing

The last attractive person in the world. Cast away in a sea of fats

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

do people really think they won't lose weight if they eat 1500 calories a day? that's, like, all you gotta do. maybe you have some gene that makes this "feel" impossible, i'll give u that

is anyone disputing this? if so, splain urself

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Mandator posted:

do people really think they won't lose weight if they eat 1500 calories a day? that's, like, all you gotta do. maybe you have some gene that makes this "feel" impossible, i'll give u that

Secret Eaters. Most episodes are on youtube.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

8 track betamax posted:

i have the body of water poured into a balloon but i find that by sometimes yelling LIGHT WEIGHT! AINT NOTHIN BUT A PEANUT! the bodybuilding community embraces me and sees me as one of their own

tihs is another strategy you failed to mention

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
correlation does not equal causation OP

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Zo posted:

For example:

This is how Steve Jobs killed himself so yeah please go do this and let us know when your pancreas explodes. Idiot

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mandator posted:

Stupid and/or lazy people really think there's some magic reason they are fat and not because they eat too much because admitting as much means they hosed up.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mandator posted:

it's a good thing

women got fatter too, so who are you even trying to attract at this point? they are all whales, just like the men

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Zo posted:

For example:

this is true but the logistics involved in supplying enough fruit to feed, say, the entire American population would absolutely wreck the ecosystem

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Lichy posted:

this is true but the logistics involved in supplying enough fruit to feed, say, the entire American population would absolutely wreck the ecosystem

I don't think anyone would suggest that a rational approach to fixing obsessive overeating, is to just encourage their gluttony by giving them something different to stuff their faces with.

As a sweet treat, a piece of fruit is preferable, and fatties that gorge on refined sugar and want to pretend that "fruit is just as bad" are just indulging another delusion about their obesity.

Also, anyone eating 2-3Kcal of fruit would be seriously regretting it a few hours later..

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

waitwhatno posted:

women got fatter too, so who are you even trying to attract at this point? they are all whales, just like the men

when skinny people are such a minority it will become like an exclusive club that overlooks other aspects. just, like, a nonstop orgy i'm thinking

plus

i can get all the slightly chubby ones

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Is self-control genetic or what

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
God drat it - first race was determined by genetics, then gayness, and now loving fatness?????

You're taking away all the good reasons to hate people you loving scientists:mad:

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Thirsty, as in, that boy hella thirsty.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Mandator posted:

Thirsty, as in, that boy hella thirsty.

Wrong thread. Oh well. That boy still hella thirsty.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

VectorSigma posted:

so let's say it is genetic. then instead of having a weak mind you have poor genes. it's a horse a piece really.

you can change your mind, but it is unfortunately illegal to change human genomes

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I got a ticket for that last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mandator posted:

Wrong thread. Oh well. That boy still hella thirsty.

after eating thirty hamburgers, who wouldn't be thirsty for a diet coke

• Locked thread