Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Been known for awhile take a look at set point theory and use of glp-1 agonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

504 posted:

Well as I said a two plate dinner is normal. Last nights dinner was 900g of pork and 2 dirty great root veges, I get constant comments from partners my family and workmates about the amount I eat and if I don't maintain my gym workouts I balloon like Val Kilmer.

I did a food diary for two weeks for a nutritionist once and he point blank said he didn't know how I wasn't the size of a house. I'm quite grateful I have a terrible job that makes me do 12 hour shifts and also conveniently limits my access to late night junk food.

This is called having "good" genetics.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Carmant posted:

He's just proving my point really...

What i cant fathom is how goons of all people hate fat people. 99% of goon pictures posted here are full of >50 BMI with the occasional gulag survivor peppered through out.

Its like self hating fat people. Fix yo sad brains goons.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

504 posted:

Yeah, I got the "good genes" comment once.

I didn't realize it was an excuse response at the time and laughingly responded "More like the fact I'm stopping in the middle of my 30 minute bike ride home after my shift to gym for an hour" - Accidental burn.

Yeah looking at all of your posting:

504 posted:

If you have "fat genes" you will be fat..

if you eat like a ten year old and are lazy.

If you eat more calories than you burn you gain weight
If you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight

You cannot get magic fat, nobody can suck weight out of thin air.

This is an accurate study that will be instantly used by lazy greedy people as the "reason" they are fat.

You are either self owning or have no clue.

Hypothyroid, deffective leptin signaling, way too much ghrelin. All genetic things that make you fat and should be a basic test your doc does while having the weight chat.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

504 posted:

I don't hate fatties, I hate people that are fat but are drat sure to let you know if not their fault it genetics/genes/injuries and not the choice of absolutely poo poo food and 0 exercise.

Denial never helps man look at the pro-trump polsters.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

504 posted:

And isn't it weird how many fat people never ever get these tests done.

Also strange how all the ones "genetically fat" also happen to be the ones eating 5 kilos of crap a day and never getting off the couch.

Thats a failure of healthcare being hamstrung when trying to treat obesity as a disease.

Take a look at ghrelin, making too much of that will make you constantly hungry and want to eat 5 kilos of mcdonalds dollar menu. What can cause that? Genetics :c00lbutt:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

so round up the smokers too, idiot

Unironically this.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

quit getting offended that the world wont take care of you fatboy

Another selfhating fat.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

504 posted:

I'm not doubting the truth of that, I say so in my first post.

I'm saying the lazy tubbies will clamp onto it as an excuse, and promptly "ruin" it for actual genetic big people. The same way every middle-aged woman is suddenly gluten intolerant.

As an aside, do you have any experience with this? I find I can be "a little hungry" and then all of a sudden (almost instantly) I am ridiculously, nausea making, stomach cramping hungry.

Yes half of my thesis is on genetics/genomic editing and the other half is on hormone signaling related to hunger/fullness.

That sounds like a see your doctor question can't give medical advice.

E: its like welfare queens, most recipents arnt but the 1% that is ruins it for everyone.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Breakfast All Day posted:

most likely gut microbiome more than genetics

loving pauly shore

Yeah this is a big part of it too firmicutes and bacteriodes.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

My parents have tons of obese relatives on both sides of their families. They are both physically fit, or in my mother's case, actually a little underweight.

Both me and my brother are giant obese sacks of poo poo and I'd say it's a combination of diet and sedentary lifestyle that are the main contributors to our obesity. However, even during times of my life where I've worked 40+ hours a week in physically demanding jobs, watched my diet and gone to the gym, I've never been not fat. I don't have any of the gland problems or whatever doctors test for because I got tested once, so I won't use that for an excuse.

In high school I had weightlifting class which was nothing but running and lifting weights, in addition to doing swimming and walking on my own time (small towns are great for exploring on foot), being involved in wrestling (read two hours of running and wrassling non-stop on a reduced diet) etc, and still being a pudgy gently caress.

Hell, when I was a kid I rode my bike, ran around and swam all the time and I was still a fat gently caress.

Soda, and later booze, are large avoidable sources of calories that I have been cut out before. It's just disheartening when I eat smaller portions of everything, lean meat, eggs, plenty of vegetables and some fruit for a few months without cheating while exercising multiple times a week and lose ten pounds at ~425.

I figure at this point I'm just retarded or something. Maybe it has to do with chronic depression and some of the meds I used to take? Those particular meds kept me from killing myself at the time, but I gained about 60 pounds in a year on them, which is how I got up to the 420s in the first place. I'm on different poo poo now, obviously. Maintained the same weight give or take ten pounds for about five-six years since.

I guess I'll just keep trying. :shrug:

E: Getting a CPAP stabilized my weight a lot, but I still have trouble sleeping because of depression or mania with BPD. So lack of regular sleep sure doesn't help.

Can happen if your parents feed you the wrong things or too much as a kid too. You get adipocyte doubling then you'rehurting like that for the rest of your life.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Blitter posted:

Right, which meant that before the current obesity epidemic these people with this heritability managed to somehow not be giant blobs. Must be magic, just like the weird magic exclusion from thermodynamics that presumably exists to let these gentle, vegetable nibbling hambeasts keep gaining weight.

It's bullshit excuses that help enable current day fatties, but whatever, hope they enjoy wheezing around, losing their feet and eventually their life to being non-compliant blobs. Seems like a great time, and so much better than say, having to be hungry for an appreciable period of their days.

This is scoring way to high on the autism scale. Dial it back man.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

what is adpiocyte doubling

serious question, i realize i'm lowercase posting in gbs, but this thread is the only hit in the entire internet for searching that term

The jist of it is kids eat a bunch of high calorie stuff, far more than they normally should, which stimulates adipogenesis (fat cells dividing) which then gives them a larger adipocyte population than they should have which fucks up all of their appetite signaling which leads to more eating and more adipogenesis. End result is an additional population of fat cells the kids can't get rid of that fucks up their appetite signaling for the rest of their lives.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

That sounds roughly right for me, I guess, maybe? My diet was pretty lovely when I was young and my mom kept candy and soda in the house at all times, kind of a holdover from poo poo her mom did. At some point she started cooking and shopping healthy, but I was probably 14 by then. I'll ask the doc about it next time I'm in, for shits and giggles. Doesn't really change anything for me right now, though.

There's a bunch of literature suggesting high fructose corn syrup plays a big part in this too.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

KVeezy3 posted:

Obesity being a disease of the rich was before the proliferation of cheap, convenient processed foods. Now poor people are overworked, stressed, and reach for cheap convenient foods as a salve for their unsatisfying lives. It's cute to think that everybody's opinion matters on what is an OK weight, but then there's science that says it's a metabolic disaster to be overweight. That's without including the visceral reaction we all have to flabby chins and stomachs.

It takes time. Processed food wrecks your gut flora.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...tudy-finds.html

Science also says fat shaming doesn't work but, look at 99% of the self-hating fat goons in this thread :c00lbutt:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

8 track betamax posted:

Being full and fat and getting lounge around in comfortable air-conditioned homes with ever need instantly met is the next stage of human evolution and it rocks.....so yeah it make sense that empty headed gbs goons pine for a return to walking everywhere and suffering like an animal

Oh hell no cities designed for walking/biking own.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Rakosi posted:

How can any of these things make you fat if you burn more calories than you eat, without breaking the laws of thermodynamics.

Because they gently caress with your overall metabolism in several ways.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

LordArgh posted:

bullshit. the information has never been easier to find than now, what with the internet and all. people just aren't willing to do what it takes to actually accomplish weight loss/fitness and instead walk on a threadmill for 10 minutes and then reward themselves by eating more burgers because that takes the least amount of discomfort and they can still tell people they "excercise"

You're wrong but, I suppose that is an opinion :c00lbutt:.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Hahahahahahah look at all these people acting like you can just put extra points into WIL to solve all your problems as if life was a Bioware RPG.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Rakosi posted:

please explain how anything can gently caress with your overall metabolism in several ways so that the net result of you eating 1500 calories and burning 2000 every day for a month is a gain/no shift in body weight. Its loving with the law of conservation of energy for one.

The only thing stopping fat people from getting skinny is their inability to truthfully, and accurately, count their calories and the western contemporary mindset that life shouldn't be hard or uncomfortable.

You enjoyed gorging yourself, so now you have to not enjoy undoing that damage.

Okay because it seems goons are dumb about this and want to quote thermodynamics without understanding it I'll start with some Socratic questioning.

What determines net caloric change per day?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Blitter posted:

If you are a fat piece of poo poo, your net caloric change is a positive number, and you should eat less?

Okay that's a start now what's the difference between a cold blooded organism and a warm blooded organism?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

henpod posted:

A video where an ugly horrible person tells a fat person she wouldn't hire that person because she's fat. The fat person has applied to like 12 jobs in five years and complains that the fact she is obese shouldn't put employers off, despite probably being sick and slow a lot of the time. The pretty blond presenter is sitting there because she was hired for her looks but agrees with the fat person that people's appearances shouldnt affect how hireable they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ARVUy43lOQ

Since when is 16.8 billion in revenue a small business?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

The Wizard of Poz posted:

actually wait isn't runupon the same fuckwit who always turns up in these threads posting about how fat people just darn can't help being fat? if only posting burned calories

Its more that goons want someone to dump on and have decided fat people are it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

boo hoo cry me a river. wait, you probably can with all that water you're retaining!!!!!

yeah i see what youre saying its not like this forum has literally always been about basically making fun of absolutely anything at all. yeh its just fat ppl. gotcha.

actually everything i just said was lying!!!!!

Its the wallpaper thin guise of a moral high ground that needs to go.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

a moral high ground? no fat ppl just look gross and are hilariously delusional, i dont understand the moral issue youre referring to

You must not have been here from the begining or the last 5 pages.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

not the last 5 pages i skipped ahead. if anyone is trying to form some kind of ethical high ground out of this theyre just as retarded as runupon

:yeah:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

AugmentedVision posted:

At the risk of blowing a small phenomenon mostly confined to the Internet out of proportion, I wonder how worried policymakers are about HAES and offending fat people in general by doing this

HAES is awful. It should be used to provide support for dumb people that become anorexic/bulimic since they have hosed up body images for one reason or another. Instead it gets used for the morbidly obese to say they are healthy.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah my buddy's sister was bulimic -- not fat at all just body dysmorphia

She went to treatment and suddenly wouldn't shut the gently caress up about HAES? Like what the gently caress did they tell her at treatment and why was it "being fat is OK" and not "you're not fat, idiot"

I guess you're saying that's the proper thing to do but IDGI, why tell her being fat is OK instead of trying to fix her hosed perception

Yeah basically HAES should be saying "you're not fat, those models look like starving third world children." It should be helping direct people to therapy to get over BDD or that sort of thing. However its being used to avoid treating obesity like a disease like it should be. Hence gently caress HAES.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

vyst posted:

I lost 250 lbs without eating a single vegetable because I think they are gross. I eat more now but my palette was programmed for McDonald's. I eat greens powders instead

You also inspired a bunch of other overweight goons to lose a bunch of weight too so I think that number is a little low for that :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Get that anime trash out of here.

• Locked thread