Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

Creamed Cormp posted:

This show has got to be childfree propaganda.

It's working, if I had any part of me that wanted kids before watching the strain, it died with the saga of loving Zack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

eph should have shot zack in the head thus saving the world

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

to be fair zack is the most competent villain by far on this show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So one of the differences in the book is that the Master sets off multiple nukes around the world in order to make a more permanent cloud cover. I'm not sure that just blowing up the Statue of Liberty would have the same effect.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This show is awesome and the walking dead sucks

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just finished the season finale. gently caress that kid is punchable. Character, face, everything.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
So the vampire mouth tentacle just grows in a matter of hours now? Palmer got one almost immediately.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think the actor playing Eichhorst will ever get to play a good guy

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Wait, you mean Eichhorst isn't considered the good guy in this show?! He's the only character whose every action isn't driven by selfishness. Day in and day out he shows up to his middle management job and takes care of everything even though the boss is always looking over him.

Sure, okay, he had a bit of a shady past with the whole death camp tentacle rape stuff but if Zach is on the side of the living then the only side I find acceptable is the vampires.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Dejan Bimble posted:

This show is awesome and the walking dead sucks
Well spotted, Dejan

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Say what you will about this dumb show, it is at least entertaining and poo poo actually happens. I can't wait to watch the next season.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

hrollins posted:

It's working, if I had any part of me that wanted kids before watching the strain, it died with the saga of loving Zack.

He's like 5 years younger, but my kid would nuke the world and send us all to vampire hell if I told him I ate his halloween candy last night

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The past few episodes I had managed to forget Zack was still in this, I didn't think he could get worse but this episode sure showed me wrong.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mu Zeta posted:

You should watch Django Unchained.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Love Crime posted:

Wait, you mean Eichhorst isn't considered the good guy in this show?! He's the only character whose every action isn't driven by selfishness. Day in and day out he shows up to his middle management job and takes care of everything even though the boss is always looking over him.

Probably helps that the actor owns.

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Creamed Cormp posted:

You should watch Django Unchained.

Richard Sammel (Eichhorst) is in Inglourious Basterds actually. He's the bloke who meets 'The Bear Jew'.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The AirBnB ad was pretty hilarious.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I hate Zach so much. So much. The actor, the character, everything.

If this show tries to redeem him somehow I will go postal. "Hey Zach my boy, remember when you killed thousands of people?"

I knew there would be some kind of reset button, but not Zach. His character's motivations don't even make any sense, 2 minutes earlier his Mum - who was part of the crew imprisoning him - was about to waste him but apparently he hates his Dad instead.

loving gently caress.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If they stay true to the books with Zach he will get his rear end nuked.

And bonus: Eph gets it along with him.

God I hope they stick with the books on this.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
This season hasn't been half bad, considering how stupid it has been in the past. I went into the premier in almost full hatewatch mode but I'll be damned if there wasn't some fun stuff happening this season, mostly just with cool visuals. You had the opening episode with the thermal imaging POV shots of the SEALs cleaning house. That was neat. Then the ancients owning all those strigoi just before they got nuked. Also cool. Palmer playing possum and then shotgunning Eichorst like a boss. The death/birth of the Silver Angel. Zach nuking Manhattan was cool to watch too, despite how much Zach sucks. Also, no more Bolivar. Strigoi or human, that dude looked stupid as gently caress.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That was a great season finale. We got to see them thisfuckingclose to actually winning. They executed their plan perfectly.They couldn't have anticipated the nuke. And I'm gonna miss Palmer chewing scenery. I'm sure he still will as The Master, but it won't be the same. At least we still have Eichorst though. If they killed him, I'd riot.

I liked the first two seasons of this show a lot, but I think this past season was even better. I can't wait to see where they hell they go next season.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I really enjoyed this season. It went from being a show I watched in secret and hated myself for it, to being one I openly enjoyed.

Also it's true that Zach really is the most competent character on the show. He went out for smokes, got smokes. Taught his vamp spider girl to fetch. Decided to nuke NY, nuked it. He has accomplished more than all the good guys combined. I don't know why everyone hates him.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

because the character is trash and their inexplicable motivations don't even make sense for a child's brain, they are a petulant masquerading as precociousness despite being stone stupid and unworthy McGuffin motivator of a supposedly brilliant alcoholic scientist, they've got the focus-group tussled hair of an "abercrombie and fitch KIDZ" catalogue model despite living in a vampire hellscape of decay with no hairdressers + being locked away in a musty sewer for weeks, tv child actors are diarrhea garbage that never, ever belong stealing time from adults who can actually act and have dialogue that doesn't revolve around public cable access PSA-caliber temper tantrums, and he looks like a little cunty douche with permanent stinkface as if he's stuck always smelling his own farts

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 2, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

because the character is trash and their inexplicable motivations don't even make sense for a child's brain, they are a petulant masquerading as precociousness despite being stone stupid and unworthy McGuffin motivator of a supposedly brilliant alcoholic scientist, they've got the focus-group tussled hair of an "abercrombie and fitch KIDZ" catalogue model despite living in a vampire hellscape of decay with no hairdressers + being locked away in a musty sewer for weeks, tv child actors are diarrhea garbage that never, ever belong stealing time from adults who can actually act and have dialogue that doesn't revolve around public cable access PSA-caliber temper tantrums, and he looks like a little cunty douche with permanent stinkface as if he's stuck always smelling his own farts

Nah, he cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

name literally one scene centered around zach and his acting that is cool, so that we may all laugh at you in greater depth

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Nope, Zachary is a special guy. He rocks~

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remember how much we hated the first Zach?

Who knew it could get worse.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Seriously they were just gonna dump that coffin in the ocean and they didn't chain it up six ways from Sunday first?

Ugh I was so furious when that loving kid ugh I can't even talk about it.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I get that the nuke resolves the plot and keeps the show going for another season, I do. But that loving kid saying "I don't want to tidy my room! I hate you Dad!" and then detonating a literal nuke killing thousands of people is just the worst. I want to punch that kid so hard in the face, and Eph too for chasing after him afterwards.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Good. Zach is one of the show's villains.

Maybe the likely time jump ages Zach up significantly.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
When Eph activated his signal jammer and stunned Master Palmer, they should have just shoved his old undead rear end into the fireplace that was kept in the office or just beat his brains into the floor. No bullshit with your shiny metal coffin. He would have been dead for good, the vampires would have gone rabid even including Eichhorst and Kelly, and I can't decide if it would have been cooler for Zach to have been fed upon by his mother or his little "pet."

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

name literally one scene centered around zach and his acting that is cool, so that we may all laugh at you in greater depth

When he nuked the Statue of Liberty.

Look how irrationally angry he made you. He's playing your emotions the way he plays with his spider vamp girlfriend.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

ah yes, the vaunted "puppetmaster" defense employed by a creepy boy-loving goon in a discussion thread where everyone is present to discuss a show, what works about it, and what doesn't. diabolical...

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure who to tell to leave the thread....I'll wait for the rest of the thread to decide. I was never good at making these kinds of decisions.

Zach is a terrible character and not because he is written or acted well. I've seen brick walls with more character than Zach's actor. Every scene he is in he makes the same face while reading his lines in the most monotone voice.

The writing is by far the worst part of the character though so he doesn't have much to work with in the first place. I don't have a problem with him being a villain, it's more with how he got there. He went from realizing his mother is going to kill him to being angry at his dad for defending his own life.

"Dad, how dare you fight back in self defense? I HATE YOU!" *Boom*

:siren:That's not good writing:siren:

But in the end, it's a stupid vampire show about vampire worms so lets just all enjoy the show while it's still here for the lovely guilty television that it is. And hey, just remember, at least it's not True Blood.

Gordong Dongbay fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 2, 2016

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Zach is a terrible character and not because he is written or acted well. I've seen brick walls with more character than Zach's actor. Every scene he is in he makes the same face while reading his lines in the most monotone voice.

that's always where the criticism in the thread has stemmed from. we all know 'the strain' is an incredibly corny romp through sheer camp and happily return for all the "Mr. FET" pronouncements, hammy German cheshire grins, and Jonathan Hyde tour de force monologues we can get. Any subpar factor that gets in the way of these gems is a cancerous threat to pure kitschy entertainment.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ah yes, the vaunted "puppetmaster" defense employed by a creepy boy-loving goon in a discussion thread where everyone is present to discuss a show, what works about it, and what doesn't. diabolical...

You are the one who is upset. I'm not sure if it's because the character made you angry or that I expressed a different viewpoint, or maybe both make you angry. As you say, we are here to discuss a show. If are willing or open to discussion then I'm game.

The nuke scene made viewers more angry and upset than anything else in a long while. Getting people to feel emotion is the goal, it means they are invested in the show. I understand you don't like the scene but don't confuse disliking a character or their actions with the objective quality of the writing or acting. That leads to people who send death threats to Anna Gunn because her tv character was mean to Cranston's tv character. From a storytelling standpoint, Zach was a nuke. They've held him back the whole season and then 'kapow', you are triggered.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

I'm not sure who to tell to leave the thread....

Why would you tell anyone to leave?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

No one's upset, you got bizarrely defensive because no one likes your favorite character that you seem to read too much into to, everyone hates him because A) TV child actors are untalented and awful compared to adults, B) their performances and writing are traditionally horrendous (relatively speaking given the source) and come at the expense of adult actors doing fun things with more interesting stories and dialogue, and C) the cornball forced motivations that revolve around them shatter the willful suspension of disbelief and combined with the two previous critical flaws make for a massive chink in the armor of any show and are frequently a favorite subject of ridicule because the majority of viewership has to suffer through it. CARL! CURL!!! CORAL!!!!

You're drastically misreading the audience response if you sincerely think people only just now despise a fartfaced kid's bad character and acting because the city full of stupid idiots doing dumb things for our ironic amusement got blown up and extended 'The Strain' into a final season. The longest running theme of this thread has been jokes at the expense of what an albatross his presence on the show is, just like it was during '24' or any other long running popcorn serial that got dragged down by a whiny preteen.

Odd that you mention Anna Gunn as a scapegoat, particularly when her inconsistent acting was responsible for the single worst moment of 'Breaking Bad' wherein she screams cartoonishly at an imaginary baby and it's embarrassing

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 3, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Shitenshi posted:

When Eph activated his signal jammer and stunned Master Palmer, they should have just shoved his old undead rear end into the fireplace that was kept in the office or just beat his brains into the floor. No bullshit with your shiny metal coffin. He would have been dead for good, the vampires would have gone rabid even including Eichhorst and Kelly, and I can't decide if it would have been cooler for Zach to have been fed upon by his mother or his little "pet."

The "worm" that is the true essence of The Master would have just gotten away again, like when Quinlan chopped his head off in the park. Trapping him in the coffin is the only way to be sure.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

No one's upset, you got bizarrely defensive because no one likes your favorite character that you seem to read too much into to, everyone hates him because A) TV child actors are untalented and awful compared to adults, B) their performances and writing are traditionally horrendous (relatively speaking given the source) and come at the expense of adult actors doing fun things with more interesting stories and dialogue, and C) the cornball forced motivations that revolve around them shatter the willful suspension of disbelief and combined with the two previous critical flaws make for a massive chink in the armor of any show and are frequently a favorite subject of ridicule because the majority of viewership has to suffer through it. CARL! CURL!!! CORAL!!!!

You're drastically misreading the audience response if you sincerely think people only just now despise a fartfaced kid's bad character and acting because the city full of stupid idiots doing dumb things for our ironic amusement got blown up and extended 'The Strain' into a final season. The longest running theme of this thread has been jokes at the expense of what an albatross his presence on the show is, just like it was during '24' or any other long running popcorn serial that got dragged down by a whiny preteen.

Odd that you mention Anna Gunn as a scapegoat, particularly when her inconsistent acting was responsible for the single worst moment of 'Breaking Bad' wherein she screams cartoonishly at an imaginary baby and it's embarrassing

I guess I misread the tone of your posts, glad to know you aren't upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
To me, it would have been way more fun if Eichorst had come in, Zack can't quite push the button but passes it off to Eichorst (his surrogate father figure this season) who sets it off. Eichorst gets to redeem himself to the Master, sets up a big Eph/Eichorst Father-off next season, etc. And Richard Sammel would be so entertaining to watch in that role.

The point is - the storytelling implications of the nuke going off are really exciting but the problem is that the motivations of Zack are really weak, compounded by having a very unlikable actor in the role. I love a complicated villain you hate but you can understand/relate to or can't help but kind of root for. But you need to have at least good writing or good acting to pull that off. Zack, unfortunately, has neither.

Anyway that was a much more fun season than the first couple and I'm excited for how bonkers the final one might be.

el oso fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 3, 2016

• Locked thread