Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I hope they play up the tentacle rape this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The boook was written during the Bush Administration, so if history is a guide the troops are probably being relocated to Indiana.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Like Ur-Fascism, the Vampire is both as strong and as weak as the narrative demands.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Justin Credible posted:

Well per the canon even in the show it's established that silver kills the worms on contact which is how they justify all the CQB in the books too.

"Canon" is basically the worst idea ever. Whenever someone mentions it, I'm torn between giving them a wedgie and just generally disengaging from them because they are clearly insane.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Since the show seems to be deviating from the books is GdT still involved? This episode seems to have taken a hardcore turn to the right, which is normal for American Sci-Fi/Horror but is very unusual for GdT.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
:(

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What's the deal with water?

If you cross water, you lose varna status. That's attractive to (rejecting) lower caste members but deeply unattractive to high caste members. "Good" people of any caste accept their lot since that is part of what being a "good person" entails. Every "old" city I've ever lived in has a "good" and "bad" side of the river.

The modern vampire myth is come from a long synthesis of transgressive myths. The 18th Century European "vampires" that inspired Dracula had the utterly terrifying ability of being genuine male friends of women (homos).

Strix and Strigoi. It's a fun synthesis. In terms of widespread cultural appeal (if we want to generalize the vampire phenomenon) one of the surest ways to become a vampire is to commit suicide. A strix is a monster born of tragedy that siphons all energy from family members and needs to be ritually cleansed. If you are a survivor of another's suicide, you understand what a monster it is and how that does siphon your soul. You need a ritual cleanse. Strigoi are more atavistic monsters that, in a Campbellian sense, prey on humans in the same way we prey on other species. The Ultra-Human, if you will.

I wish GdT had been a little more multicultural instead of pan-European. I wish he had made Vampires move purely by jumping. Because (also unable to cross water) Chinese jumping vampires are goofy as gently caress.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Also the maincast letting the incredibly conspicuous master worm crawl into the sewer unhampered is basically a repeat of S1 when they let him get away after standing and gawking in silence at his burnt husk. ahahaha

This is kinda my problem right now: I feel like nothing has happened. There are some pacing problems with the source material but I really feel like we're back at the ending of S1. I guess the Quest for the Lumen counts as S2 but we haven't really seen anything from the Lumen yet to make it cool beyond a McMuffin. I feel like they could do some cool manuscript stuff (the design on the show remains pretty awesome) or some super cheesy magic (because why not embrace the stupid cheese?).

As it stands now, there is just a lot of padding. It's almost like the writers have no idea where to go. Which is strange since they have source material to work with.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Love Crime posted:

This pretty much describes the entire show from the beginning though. I only started watching after season 2 started because I saw a random youtube video about the Ancients and was like whoa this looks really interesting so started watching the first episode and the buildup was great. Then over the course of a season they took every promising idea possible and managed to make it the dullest, most lukewarm poo poo imaginable.

Every single episode feels like you're on your prom night again. Starts so promising, the night builds up the anticipation, you finally get back to the hotel room and start getting down to business only to find out the girl you're with has a dick and by then you're so invested you just tell yourself well this is weird but I might as well go with it but then 10 years down the road you don't even remember anything except the dick part.

And just so we're clear on the metaphor, the show equivalent is obviously Eichhorst being a pineapple infused tentacle rapist.

I like where you are going. Could you tell me more about your futa prom and incorporate more tentacle rape directly?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
A period show about hunting Nazi vampires in the 70s has a lot of potential.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Glad I am not the only one who drunk watches this show. It is just so fitting.

I'm p sure it's mandatory. Very drunk and/or very high. All three really enhance the show and let it shine for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I don't smoke weed anymore because my job randoms like once every other week so I just drink like a fish instead.

:that's capitalism:

• Locked thread