Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FrozenMeats posted:

It's been said before in the thread, but the DLC maps should really be available to all while DLC weapons/skins are only available to those that purchased them. Keep the population healthy.

The overall population has declined by about 2/3 though, since release.

I've always figured that EA could make a killing by releasing maps for free but selling new guns, skins, and maybe even vehicles (that are functionally the same as the ones in the base game) but I guess that wouldn't pay off in the current fiscal quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Delacroix posted:

There was a dev on reddit who said something along the lines it takes management years to adjust policy. When vehicle skins were added or some knobs on bolt action rifles were changed after gun nuts pointed it out, it was done in personal dev time. They can't alter russian maps in response to the community asking for less sniperfest maps (e.g half the vanilla maps, soissons, verdun and rupture) even after they pushed the dlc back to September.

When they said in an article "battlefield players are used to buying dlc (but Battlefront 2 will have free major dlc)", it probably never came to mind they could change their bf1 dlc policy and unfuck the playerbase outside of the US.

I know corporate level decisions go in cycles of years and budget and dev planning are a big thing, but this is something people were going on about going back to BF4 about how selling maps splits the playerbase. It happened for Battlefront, it's happening for this, and it's only going to get worse with the Russia DLC. Like everyone said, it should just be a gun/skin pack with free maps or somehing. I wish they'd just swallow it and put BF1 on Steam with crossplay or something. Imagine how much the playerbase would have jumped if they opened up the Steam sale and saw BATTLEFIELD 1 at the top of the list.

Yeah, I wasn't making GBS threads on the game itself before. Even with complaints I have about the maps/gameplay, I find it enjoyable. It's just frustrating to see so many blatantly boneheaded decisions being made around it.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I have to imagine EA adding BF1 to EA access and Origin Access will help grow the player base for PC and xbone quite a bit. The BF1 paid map packs situation is definitely odd when you see that Titanfall 2 did with free maps. The excuse of "well battlefield players are used to it" is bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I love battlefield 1, it's probably my favorite mp shooter of all time but it's hard to think of what it could be if they didn't split the player base.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Well premium for Battlefield 1 was announced before Titanfall 2 was a thing, and Battlefront 2 was announced even later than that. Once they've committed to the DLC-maps thingy they can't go back, not with this game. Hopefully they'll go the Battlefront 2 direction for the next game. The whole premium friends and the such gives me hope that they're going in that direction.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
EA put a bad taste in my mouth with B1 despite the game being really good. The price getting slashed like a week after I bought it, finding out that the DLC pack was as much as the game I just bought, all the stupid post launch decisions and updates that made the game run worse than at launch. I uninstalled it for space and I doubt I'll buy another Battlefield game. Maybe when Battlefield Two comes to Origin Access, I'll get a month's access.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I like Westie but his battlepack revision is pretty lame. I only care about vehicle skins and now I can't get any new ones in a week!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Isn't every youtube guy a infantry player mostly?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xfactor liked to tank it up in BF4 but the light tank can only provide so much content, and the vehicle gameplay in general is much less dynamic in BF1. Hard to move fast when your 10t contraption runs on a 50hp engine.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I do agree that DLC maps should never split a community

its always been stupid bullshit that kills games

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They also were insistent on murdering their best game mode, operations. 48 ops rocked until you could only find 64 shitshow in a single mapset.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Something that also killed Ops outright is joining with 20 dudes on your steam or whatever in a party and the other side has 10 but the round starts

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

None of this was very surprising when you look how bad EA messed up Hardline with it's DLC scheme.

Took them months to add features promised in the base game and by then most of the DLC was already out and fragmented the playerbase. It wasn't uncommon to see one or two servers playing DLC maps on prime time.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

eonwe posted:

I do agree that DLC maps should never split a community

its always been stupid bullshit that kills games

It makes the free map packs for BC2 look like a fluke. :sigh: But realistically it was spin seeing how not all maps were initially playable in all modes and to be contrary to CoD at the time (which had paid map packs).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Chronojam posted:

They also were insistent on murdering their best game mode, operations. 48 ops rocked until you could only find 64 shitshow in a single mapset.
Yeah that was kinda the last straw for me. 64p is just a spam fest.

eonwe posted:

Something that also killed Ops outright is joining with 20 dudes on your steam or whatever in a party and the other side has 10 but the round starts
Yup. I still don't understand how when you join with 20 they don't redirect everyone clicking on ops in your server area to the other team. Like really, the matchmaking is *such* a disaster.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 13, 2017

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Sandweed posted:

Isn't every youtube guy a infantry player mostly?

Yeah, pretty much and I feel it's kind of a problem. I know they claim that they don't take feedback from the Tubers, but changing Conquest from really good back to its roots during the beta, and the overall speeding up of the gameplay tell me that's bullshit. Battlefield definitely got more twitchy. Watching footage from guys like Jackfrags, it's crazy just how fast-paced Battlefield got. I recently fired up BC2 to see what it was like these days, and the more I played it sprint-snap-shoot-sprint like in BF1, the worse I did. Like I actually kind of feel bad when I snipe in BF1 because being able to strafe like a maniac and snap to scope while just getting insane headshots across the maps at the same time feels wrong. Hopefully they'll take note of the exodus to PUBG and calm down the pace a little bit, but I won't hold my breath.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, pretty much and I feel it's kind of a problem. I know they claim that they don't take feedback from the Tubers, but changing Conquest from really good back to its roots during the beta, and the overall speeding up of the gameplay tell me that's bullshit. Battlefield definitely got more twitchy. Watching footage from guys like Jackfrags, it's crazy just how fast-paced Battlefield got. I recently fired up BC2 to see what it was like these days, and the more I played it sprint-snap-shoot-sprint like in BF1, the worse I did. Like I actually kind of feel bad when I snipe in BF1 because being able to strafe like a maniac and snap to scope while just getting insane headshots across the maps at the same time feels wrong. Hopefully they'll take note of the exodus to PUBG and calm down the pace a little bit, but I won't hold my breath.

Uhhh... strafing and sniping was very much a thing in BC2. Go look at old BC2 gameplay videos from those same streamers, its not that much different. Not sure about how relevant PUBG is to BF1 either, they dont have much in common besides having guns.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I played the poo poo out of BF1, but they took forever to put out more content and I hit level 100 so I took a break. I was on limited hardware for a few weeks due to some RMA stuff and I couldn't play PUBG which was and still is not optimized as well as BF1, so I came back to play for a bit but kept being split from the goon group for not having the DLC. That's a pretty bad feeling and certainly did not make me want to keep playing once my hardware issue was resolved. And I certainly didn't want to pay more than what I paid for the game just to get DLC, when the game I really wanted to play only cost me $30.

Symetrique posted:

Uhhh... strafing and sniping was very much a thing in BC2. Go look at old BC2 gameplay videos from those same streamers, its not that much different. Not sure about how relevant PUBG is to BF1 either, they dont have much in common besides having guns.

It's pretty crazy that BF1 only has like 30k max concurrent players, or maybe less now. PUBG has 321k, it's nuts. Maybe if BF1 was on Steam it might compete. Hell, I think just through Steam purchases, R6 Siege has as many max concurrent players as BF1 and that's not counting the uplay purchased or promo (uplay code) copies.

Edit also they need to somehow fix 48 player operations and somehow stop garbage players from getting the tanks, elite kits and planes that ends up completely hamstringing your team on the hardest set of points.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 14, 2017

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

I played the poo poo out of BF1, but they took forever to put out more content and I hit level 100 so I took a break. I was on limited hardware for a few weeks due to some RMA stuff and I couldn't play PUBG which was and still is not optimized as well as BF1, so I came back to play for a bit but kept being split from the goon group for not having the DLC. That's a pretty bad feeling and certainly did not make me want to keep playing once my hardware issue was resolved. And I certainly didn't want to pay more than what I paid for the game just to get DLC, when the game I really wanted to play only cost me $30.

It's pretty crazy that BF1 only has like 30k max concurrent players, or maybe less now. PUBG has 321k, it's nuts. Maybe if BF1 was on Steam it might compete. Hell, I think just through Steam purchases, R6 Siege has as many max concurrent players as BF1 and that's not counting the uplay purchased or promo (uplay code) copies.

Edit also they need to somehow fix 48 player operations and somehow stop garbage players from getting the tanks, elite kits and planes that ends up completely hamstringing your team on the hardest set of points.

The guy I quoted was talking about DICE toning down the gameplay pace, as if making the gameplay slower would bring players back. I agree with you and think EA's DLC policy and the DLC release schedule are what contributed the most to BF1's player decline. BF1 + Premium's cost handicaps the game, especially when you compare BF1's cost of entry to the Siege starter edition and PUBG. DICE's matchmaking and refusal to make Operations show up in the server browser ended up crippling the best game mode. It was incredibly frustrating to constantly end up in empty Operations servers.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Not trying to poo poo on the game, and I know it's weird that I keep following this thread despite having left, but the reasons I myself abandoned it...

As several people have mentioned, the clusterfucking is a huge problem. BF games have gradually gravitated more and more towards the massive scale. 64p servers were definitely a thing even back in BF2 when I first started with the series, but they were much less the norm back then. Bigger maps, more vehicles, and higher player counts make things like flanking and infantry much less viable and turn the game into a meat grinder, which I have always disliked. It was fine when 32p and even 48p servers were a big thing, but they've become less and less common over time.... BF1 supports 32p conquest according to the server browser, but in all my time playing I never saw a single server for it. Not one. It's just not what most people want, I guess.

The combat feels very arcade-y. Things are often very fast paced and twitchy. There's nothing inherently wrong with that - it's just a game style - but I don't enjoy it very much. Part of this may honestly be just because I'm older now than I used to be and can't react quite as quickly as I used to, but regardless of the reason it's still un-satisfying.

The aesthetic.... I mean, it's unique. They went in a direction no ones' ever gone in before. I appreciate that, I really do. But.... I can't help it, the guns just look and feel hideously ugly. Almost none of them feel good to use; the only weapons I really enjoy are the BAR and the M1911. I feel pretty guilty about this since we the playerbase are always clamoring for something new, but the weapons just don't feel rewarding for the most part. They're ugly, they sound plinky, they're not very good outside of their very narrowly defined roles, and the customization options for them are so lacking I almost wonder why EA even bothered.

The DLC almost doesn't even need to said; they botched everything about it, and the topic has been well-discussed already.

The class balance bothered me. They obviously wanted everyone to be good at one specific role and not that great at others, so as to encourage team play. But so often it feels more punishing than anything else. Sinai in rush defense always comes immediately to mind for this. Assault? Good on you, you can prevent the enemy armor from just walking all over your team's face, but have fun getting sniped endlessly from the hills by people you can't do anything about. Sniper or medic? Well, you can do something about them now, but the armor is going to have a field day with you. I get where they were going with those balance decisions, but as a player they're frustrating.

Between the combination of all those factors, BF1 just never really felt good to play. Even when I was doing well it was more of a slog than an enjoyable experience. Rush is definitely the best game mode in my opinion since it handles one of my biggest complaints - it's a well-populated game mode with a significantly lower player count. But even that is still pretty frustrating for the other listed reasons.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Backhand posted:

Not trying to poo poo on the game, and I know it's weird that I keep following this thread despite having left, but the reasons I myself abandoned it...

As several people have mentioned, the clusterfucking is a huge problem. BF games have gradually gravitated more and more towards the massive scale. 64p servers were definitely a thing even back in BF2 when I first started with the series, but they were much less the norm back then. Bigger maps, more vehicles, and higher player counts make things like flanking and infantry much less viable and turn the game into a meat grinder, which I have always disliked. It was fine when 32p and even 48p servers were a big thing, but they've become less and less common over time.... BF1 supports 32p conquest according to the server browser, but in all my time playing I never saw a single server for it. Not one. It's just not what most people want, I guess.

The combat feels very arcade-y. Things are often very fast paced and twitchy. There's nothing inherently wrong with that - it's just a game style - but I don't enjoy it very much. Part of this may honestly be just because I'm older now than I used to be and can't react quite as quickly as I used to, but regardless of the reason it's still un-satisfying.

The aesthetic.... I mean, it's unique. They went in a direction no ones' ever gone in before. I appreciate that, I really do. But.... I can't help it, the guns just look and feel hideously ugly. Almost none of them feel good to use; the only weapons I really enjoy are the BAR and the M1911. I feel pretty guilty about this since we the playerbase are always clamoring for something new, but the weapons just don't feel rewarding for the most part. They're ugly, they sound plinky, they're not very good outside of their very narrowly defined roles, and the customization options for them are so lacking I almost wonder why EA even bothered.

The DLC almost doesn't even need to said; they botched everything about it, and the topic has been well-discussed already.

The class balance bothered me. They obviously wanted everyone to be good at one specific role and not that great at others, so as to encourage team play. But so often it feels more punishing than anything else. Sinai in rush defense always comes immediately to mind for this. Assault? Good on you, you can prevent the enemy armor from just walking all over your team's face, but have fun getting sniped endlessly from the hills by people you can't do anything about. Sniper or medic? Well, you can do something about them now, but the armor is going to have a field day with you. I get where they were going with those balance decisions, but as a player they're frustrating.

Between the combination of all those factors, BF1 just never really felt good to play. Even when I was doing well it was more of a slog than an enjoyable experience. Rush is definitely the best game mode in my opinion since it handles one of my biggest complaints - it's a well-populated game mode with a significantly lower player count. But even that is still pretty frustrating for the other listed reasons.

Have you heard of Verdun?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I've tried several online fps games over the last couple of years, most recently bf1 and overwatch. They have all been huge clusterfucks. It really makes me appreciate how loving good the Halo multiplayer modes were and makes me sad that they aren't on PC and probably never will be.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's very few things broken in overwatch tho? It might not be to your taste, but the core gameplay is sound, matchmaking works, etc, etc..

I mean yeah 2CP is still a bit dumb, and there's a couple of dumb mechanics left in the game (genji ultretention, that sort of stuff) but in terms of being a finished game that doesn't get in the way of you having fun it's leagues ahead of current day BF1.

None of this matters obviously because you should play PUBG

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

hawowanlawow posted:

I've tried several online fps games over the last couple of years, most recently bf1 and overwatch. They have all been huge clusterfucks. It really makes me appreciate how loving good the Halo multiplayer modes were and makes me sad that they aren't on PC and probably never will be.

Next halo is coming to the PC.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

There's very few things broken in overwatch tho? It might not be to your taste, but the core gameplay is sound, matchmaking works, etc, etc..

I mean yeah 2CP is still a bit dumb, and there's a couple of dumb mechanics left in the game (genji ultretention, that sort of stuff) but in terms of being a finished game that doesn't get in the way of you having fun it's leagues ahead of current day BF1.

Are people still all about PUBG? Honestly, I kind of got the impression it was going to wind up being "flavor of the month" and largely abandoned in a quarter of a year or so.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Backhand posted:

Are people still all about PUBG? Honestly, I kind of got the impression it was going to wind up being "flavor of the month" and largely abandoned in a quarter of a year or so.

So far so strong. Unlike a lot of survival games (not that it is, but it drew a fair amount of that crowd), it's sort of the peak of its genre. It doesn't make any huge design mistakes, it's mostly fully functional out of the gate and it's just fun to play. Someone else will release a new battle royale game, and people will flock to it, but PUBG will probably stay strong because it's genuinely good, and not just the new thing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
At 10am on a weekday there's literally between 266,000 and 313,000 people playing PUBG, it's been pretty much the third-highest game on Steam after DOTA and CSGO since it first went up for sale.

I fuckin' wish the Battlefield games had anything close to that kind of population.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 14, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

I know it's a well made clusterfuck, but it's still a clusterfuck.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
EA Access doesn't include DLC? Lame.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
PUBG is a lot of fun, but you have to be in a group and that group also has to not be angry all the time

a single mistake will gently caress you and your squad over, and having a group of people that can laugh at it is a lot more fun than with a tryhard group

Nebiros has taught me a lot of stuff and not been mad. 10/10 experience would play more

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Backhand posted:

Bigger scale? I don't think that's one of primary issues with bf1. The majority of maps are linear, they're the ones responsible for sniper inflicted mental attrition. You can't effectively flank around them because the map is narrow and there's too much open ground without enough sight blocking terrain. Part of that has to lie with making maps with rush or operations in mind and failing to alter them for conquest. If they're not linear, they're shaped like a bowl which invites sniping. On both counts that's bad map design, not scale.

Another thing, previous games had a consistent vehicle presence throughout the match; jeeps spawned on capture, tanks could snipe from further away and respawned the moment they blew up, helicopters hugged the ground and bounced off trees. Amidst this busywork recons were open season and great, stuff those players.

For the same reason you dislike the class balance in bf1, I think it works relatively well, even if it's unlikely dice will ever rebalance the guns (who thought the sweetspot mechanic was a good idea? Bolt actions fire, cycle and travel faster!).

bf1 has enforced effective ranges for assault, medic and support. It is a departure from modern battlefield in aesthetic and design. Never mind "but all these WW1 soldiers have SMGs and LMGs! :supaburn:" You no longer have carbines, assault rifles and LMGs (the weapons of choice largely consisting fast firing nerf guns) microbursting distant targets with under a homogeneous hail of bullets, thank goodness for that. Being relentlessly chipped to death was a more frustrating experience to me than being sniped. It was medic and engineer funtime 24/7.

I'm not saying bf1's balance is without flaws but it was something new and fun, goonsquad and judicious use of smoke can handle the rest. Smoke can't stop the modern battlefields from being a snoozefest.

Squad or Rising Storm 2 might be worth a look if you're searching for another shooter.

Shima Honnou posted:

At 10am on a weekday there's literally between 266,000 and 313,000 people playing PUBG, it's been pretty much the third-highest game on Steam after DOTA and CSGO since it first went up for sale.

I fuckin' wish the Battlefield games had anything close to that kind of population.

I wonder if it'll take one or two more shame trophies for ea to look at their competitors' success and start emulating that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i still play bf1 almost every day and have a good time tho

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The oceanic servers during primetime is two, maybe three full custom servers with the dlc maps in rotation and eight or nine vanilla servers, conquest only. And there's usually a blatant cheater per session.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Ok now that I've done my annual New Vegas play, it's time to do some shootmans again.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

eonwe posted:

i still play bf1 almost every day and have a good time tho

same

it's a good game

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
i like to shoot mans in battlefield

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I got burned out on this one way faster than BF4 or Hardline and I think it's because they made it harder to do stupid fun poo poo

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

they made it harder to do stupid fun poo poo

:rip: Jihad Jeeps

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Serious Opinion: Considering how many times I've seen a loaded A7V parading around a map with no one trying to kill it even having just jihad jeeps as an option would dramatically change BF1. Probably for the better.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Jihad Jeep would probably be the only serious way to threaten someone sitting around sniping in a tank/artillery truck. God knows any time I try to get close enough to limpet them I get spotted long before I get close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
this is my new favorite gif, experience it yourself in all its glory

https://gfycat.com/RipeHopefulFurseal