Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Rolling Scissors posted:

So I guess there is a stream going on, Rush on Sinai right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/xbox

Why Sinai 😔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Real talk, I think the historical consensus is that Germany deserves a significant chuck of the finger-pointing because the political and military leaders there did think that it would be a good idea to use their fancy army to win themselves the wealth, power that they thought they deserved.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I'm just glad we beat back the Martians and the demonic legions.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Rolling Scissors posted:

So I guess there is a stream going on, Rush on Sinai right now.

Guys I'm really not one of those PCMR type people, but good god this footage really solidifies how utterly inferior consoles are for FPS games. It's so ponderous. To be fair I think these are PC players playing with controllers?

EDIT: Are these the same two lovely commentators from gamescon?

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 1, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Monocled Falcon posted:

Real talk, I think the historical consensus is that Germany deserves a significant chuck of the finger-pointing because the political and military leaders there did think that it would be a good idea to use their fancy army to win themselves the wealth, power that they thought they deserved.
Also the German naval build up served no purpose other than to give a giant middle finger to England. Dönitz and Wilhelm's idiocy play a big role in the leadup to WW1.
Saying that 'no side was to blame' is silly equivocation. While no one has clean hands the start of the war really was a Austro-Hungarian and German act of aggression. Germany was confident they could repeat the Franco-Prussian war again.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

afkmacro posted:

Why Sinai 😔

I'm starting to think Empires Edge might now have much moving boats :(.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

sarmhan posted:

Also the German naval build up served no purpose other than to give a giant middle finger to England. Dönitz and Wilhelm's idiocy play a big role in the leadup to WW1.
Saying that 'no side was to blame' is silly equivocation. While no one has clean hands the start of the war really was a Austro-Hungarian and German act of aggression. Germany was confident they could repeat the Franco-Prussian war again.

Germany sure deserves its share of the blame but there isn't some kind of celestial law that says England is allowed a navy and another country is not.

It's not fair to look at it through the current global lens as if the English navy was the US Navy of the times, providing global security and therefore why build your own navy. Wars broke out constantly in that time period and navies were wielded in support of their home nations just as land armies were. The fact that the English Navy blockade eventually starved out and caused the German home front to collapse kind of proves in itself that beefing up their navy was the right call.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 1, 2016

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
If your going to blame someone for the war the Austro-Hungarian royal family and Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf deserve more blame than Prussia imo, Conrad had been itching for war for years and Franz Ferdinand was the only member of the royal family who believed in letting Serbs have a bigger voice (the irony of him being the one to be assasinated is rather large).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tarantula posted:

If your going to blame someone for the war the Austro-Hungarian royal family and Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf deserve more blame than Prussia imo, Conrad had been itching for war for years and Franz Ferdinand was the only member of the royal family who believed in letting Serbs have a bigger voice (the irony of him being the one to be assasinated is rather large).

Yeah, it's this. Serbia all but capitulated in the face of the Austrian ultimatum as well, but the Austrian elite felt annexing Serbia was a prerequisite for holding the empire together, hence the war we got.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I hope this concept art tells the truth and we get this kind of awesomeness somewhere down the line.

http://img.vglook.com/upload/attachment/20160509/1462603002013_c513b5063b427b2f51304a897ef09344.jpg!w1920

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm a little miffed that battleships are relegated to being a losing-team-bonus but I'm just happy that they're in the game and playable at all honestly.

:allears: @ the memories of clunky as poo poo naval battles in BF1942, having team mates spawning on your moving ship and seeing everyone warp around and slide off and such... and of course beaching the ship and witnessing the rage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Deakul posted:

I'm a little miffed that battleships are relegated to being a losing-team-bonus but I'm just happy that they're in the game and playable at all honestly.

:allears: @ the memories of clunky as poo poo naval battles in BF1942, having team mates spawning on your moving ship and seeing everyone warp around and slide off and such... and of course beaching the ship and witnessing the rage.

My most memorable moments of naval combat in BF1942 are when you were just having a shootout and then for reasons unknown the battleship just starts listing insanely to the point of nearly capsizing, and it does this repeatedly back and forth like a pendulum.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lmao, oh man, that was really common back in the game's early days.

I remember I had a destroyer once on Midway I think and it flipped completely upside down but I could still shoot but then the ship corrected itself instantly and I was launched 100 feet into the air.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

I hope this concept art tells the truth and we get this kind of awesomeness somewhere down the line.

http://img.vglook.com/upload/attachment/20160509/1462603002013_c513b5063b427b2f51304a897ef09344.jpg!w1920

Suez Canal might involve some of that. I'm interested to see how the Battleships are going to handle.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Deakul posted:

gently caress that, let's take the Carrier and beach it smack in the middle of Midway, losing your teams greatest asset.

I glimpsed a new promo pic on Twitter yesterday. I finally found it today after searching for it for quite a while. Maybe it isn't official but it looks cool enough.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ctm1nHjW8AA7AQZ.jpg:large

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Frenchies coming to BF1!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kepis or bust.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Fort Douamount 24/7 NO EXPLOSIVES

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Fort Douamount 24/7 NO EXPLOSIVES

gently caress SAKE GUYS WE LOST BECAUSE ONE GUY GOT BEHIND AND CAPPED THE POINT!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

gently caress SAKE GUYS WE LOST BECAUSE ONE GUY GOT BEHIND AND CAPPED THE POINT!

TF2 style, I like it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

BTW, pretty sure that's actually an Italian soldier, not a French one.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

The Italians wore green though, not blue?

EDIT: Dunno why I'm talking like I know anything about WWI.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 1, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I think the colorscheme on that picture isn't realistic. To me that could be a faint olive color as well as light blue.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Singleplayer stream starts now. Only 30 minutes.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYlD-SSHF4s

Almost a throwback to "hotswapping" from BF2:MC

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alehkhs posted:

looks good

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Pulled the trigger on my preorder. GMG still had it for 20% off (for existing members).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

BTW, pretty sure that's actually an Italian soldier, not a French one.

I don't think the Italian's had the old style 18th century grenade on their helmets. It is a French soldier.

Alehkhs posted:

That Hellfighter guy at the start? he is the lone survior in his whole platoon :smith:.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 1, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYlD-SSHF4s&feature=youtu.be

the prologue seems cool.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

"You are not expected to survive" had a surprising punch to it. Nice way to let the player know that death is expected but also a bleak look at the reality of trench warfare.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigglesSWE posted:

"You are not expected to survive" had a surprising punch to it. Nice way to let the player know that death is expected but also a bleak look at the reality of trench warfare.

I mean, ill be controversial i think thats as a "realistic picture" of WW1 trench warfare as you can get (in a video game). its a awful gory chaotic mix.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean, ill be controversial i think thats as a "realistic picture" of WW1 trench warfare as you can get (in a video game). its a awful gory chaotic mix.

They certainly nailed the atmosphere of the late WW1 frontline.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Alehkhs posted:

that actually looked p loving good.

lots of new haircuts to try out too

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

TF2 style, I like it.

In real life a handful of German Pioneers pretty much the biggest more modern of those fortresses by just slipping through a window and opening the back door. They pretty much walked through the fortress rounding up some very confused French soldiers.

Granted it was only held by 400 dudes and almost all the guns had been removed that is still pretty hilarious.

What wasn't hilarious was the brutal battles and campaign that followed that has more or less turned what remains into a fortress into a grisly charnel house of bones.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

In real life a handful of German Pioneers pretty much the biggest more modern of those fortresses by just slipping through a window and opening the back door. They pretty much walked through the fortress rounding up some very confused French soldiers.

Granted it was only held by 400 dudes and almost all the guns had been removed that is still pretty hilarious.

Oh yeah I knew that (thought first that it was Fort Vaux that fell this way but I checked it up and I was wrong). It's just that the general concept is something I've seen quite a few times in TF2 when a BLU spy manages to sneak past a RED team that aren't thinking defence in depth.

In short: always be burning.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh yeah I knew that (thought first that it was Fort Vaux that fell this way but I checked it up and I was wrong). It's just that the general concept is something I've seen quite a few times in TF2 when a BLU spy manages to sneak past a RED team that aren't thinking defence in depth.

In short: always be burning.

And here I wish I had that GIF of Snoop Dog playing the Alpha of this game.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

SeanBeansShako posted:

And here I wish I had that GIF of Snoop Dog playing the Alpha of this game.

It's in the OP.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BigglesSWE posted:

The way the mission transitions from individuals with a glimpse of backstory, and continually backslides towards the end to just feeding bodies into the grinder was pretty powerful, as well.

Also, the artillery barrage was overdue. :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Didn't Ludendorff force the surrender of one of the Liege forts by literally driving up to it and knocking on the front door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That looked great and was a fantastic use of gameplay to present the player as just an ordinary soldier who is almost certainly going to die instead of the superhero that most FPS campaigns make them. Really fit the tone of the war.