Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

I want you guys to know that I'll be playing this on PS4

Hi, me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Eonwe posted:

ive got a hot stock tip for yo uguys if you want it

invest in this, as interest in this legendary warrior and chef will be going up shortly after release

Yes, Schwan food products are...actually pretty good

Maybe invest in the Charles Schulz estate too? Is that a thing?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Weapons sucked, no real class or loadout system. No squads. Gamemodes were all basically rush and all the maps were designed around that fact. BF1 is much better game.

Battlelog is being replaced but most of its functionality will remain intact. You noticed the stylized country emblems on your guns? In the final game those should be your customized emblems.

Battlefront is actually cool and good and I will kick your rear end in Cargo. As for Fighter Squadron...you will pray for death if you meet me on there... In fact it's quite possible you sucked at the game.

Speaking of airplanes, how's the flight combat? If spawning into a bomber forces you into a certain pilot class, is that discouraging using it as a mobile spawn point? In the videos I saw a month or so ago people were just jumping right out, which is bad since the bombers are so fragile and need people on those guns.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Rolling Scissors posted:

Gunner seats do not have the pilot class restriction, you spawn in as the class you've chosen, so you can use the bombers and attack planes as mobile taxi. As for flying, the bomber has way more HP than in the alpha, taking it down with a single fighter takes several passes of machine gun fire. I actually survived for a whole round as a bomber!

Hell yea, good to hear

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'll admit, actually, I was wrong about it being a BF4 reskin. I wish that was the case. It's more like a Battlefront reskin.

And I'm glad of it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Battlefield Won

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Plan Z posted:

But after all of that, and the messes that were Battlefront and Hardline, I don't blame anyone for being extra cautious.

Hardline was EA wanting to get a slice of the cops and robbers pie that R* was hogging all to themselves.

Battlefront is cool and good and actually not a mess at all.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Plan Z posted:

I'm talking about their releases. For what it's worth, I liked both in their own ways, but they were both really light on content for games that sold for $60-$120 on release, and Battlefront had stuff like overpowered pre-order items to go with it.

That's a fair assessment. If we're defining "mess" with objective traits like bugs and glitches, though, that's where I don't see the problems with Battlefront. But as far as subjective traits (balancing, content) I guess you're all entitled to your highly subjective opinions.

fake edit: sorry (not sorry) if this arcadey shooter for Star Wars nerds has a higher population on consoles than on the computer.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Plan Z posted:

-Don't fly the bomber unless you have some smart teammates. Even then, it's kind of lovely because pubbies will exclusively ram you and pull you to the ground. Its crap turning means it's mostly useful against targets in wide open spaces but also condensed in some areas, so like C and parts of D I guess. You can try to go for E, but what's the point if you could tearing up poo poo in the Tank Hunter? Don't Immelman in this thing. It can barely pull off the loop in the best of circumstances, and it gives everyone on the map about twenty minutes to hit the biggest target ever. Also, don't try to turn unless you're pretty much off the map, and don't even think about flying this if you think there's going to be an AA gun in use.

I have Immelmann looped in the bomber multiple times before. But I grant you there won't be many opportunities to do that after the beta...

Everyone should read The Red Baron's autobiography as he literally wrote the book on aerial combat. God I'm so glad turn-fighting isn't really a thing in this game.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
There is no head glitching in Battlefront that I ever saw or am aware of.

Here's a cool dice smiley anyway: :dice:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Actually, Beneath Hill 60 is a cool and good movie.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fun IRL fact, the first versions of those guns were used by the Boers in the Boer War and the dum dum rounds they fired were fired on British soldiers. Boy that war was fulla war crimes!

All is fair in love and war.

- Ed of Cowboy Bebop fame

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Allow medics to get an old time ambulance to drive around in and a bet people would play the class way more.

(That was a thing in WW1, right?)

Yes. Walt Disney was an ambulance driver during WWI actually.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

poo poo, I was running it with a questionable GTX 460. It wasn't pretty, but I could play okay. :shrug:

Single-Player Teaser Snipe: https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/780436917712191488

I see they're going for "Flyboys" logic in their cut-scenes as opposed to the more realistic looking CG work in the 2008 Red Baron film.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i read somewhere on neogaf/reddit that there will be a german singleplayer mission. apperently its called storm of steel.

Stahlgewittern was written around the same time as All Quiet was. Style-wise they were polar opposites; Stahlgewittern romanticized the war from what I heard. I actually haven't read it because apparently it's very dry and boring comparatively speaking.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

the germans were still faceless non english speaking baddies every war game has

What?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

ObMeiste posted:

I'm pretty dang happy with what I've seen of the game so far although the lack of a character customization though is a bit of an disapointment. I'd have hoped for something like Battlefront's system atleast.

Also on the subject of appearances did anyone notice the british assault class got altered?
Guess someone thought there was just an abhorent amount of brown people.

Melanin count in skin tone varies from theater to theater. There were more Indians at Sinai than anywhere in France.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

50 minutes to unlock. Any other PS4 goons here for day 1? For the dude a few posts up, it'll look better on a good PC, obviously, but I sank about 20 hours into the PS4 beta and it still looked loving gorgeous so it's going to be fine on either.

I am so stoked for this game. If 20 hours on one map (and 99% of that time was in Conquest), then the full package will keep me going for ages. I've never been day one, minute one, on a serious business shootmans game before. I was there for Battlefront (which I love, shut up) but that's pretty casual by comparison. But this game, this game is very much my jam. I could not get excited for some pretend present day way between whoever fighting battles over whatever, all the modern shooters just became a blur of oscar mike and tango down oorah bullshit. Give me some salty sweaty tommies leaping into a trench to murder some Germans with a shovel and it's everything I could ever need from a war simulator.

Looking forward to trying out that mortar, which looks rad as hell. Also the dreadnaught guns which are like super Godzilla mortars holy gently caress. Also keen to get back into the air, in the beta I discovered that the nose cannon in the bomber was like one of my top 5 favourite things in a video game. Ever. Just chilling on the front of the plane, raining hot death down upon anything that moved.

44 minutes. gently caress I am so ready for this.

My brother took off work through Friday to play this on PS4 lol. I'll still be working, but every night we're gonna be rolling. If you don't have a squad let's throw down.

P.S. I probably spent an equal amount of time on the demo and the vast majority of it was spent piloting the bomber. Brings me back to Red Baron 3D days.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Had some fun times as a gunner earlier. Rolled with one guy for a bit, he's a fan of the attack plane. Got one tail gun kill at the end of the round, then next map we both leaped straight into another plane for more of the same. See a fighter moving onto our six as it comes out of the sun, then suddenly OH poo poo it's two fighters. And I loving nailed them both. Unf, so good.

Here, it's a 2 min vid showing that while I suck at shooters I make a great passenger. Pick me flyboy.

https://youtu.be/342XIonMEvk

Lol at that British guy at the end "You rekt 'em, well done!"

Wish I coulda kept playing, cuz I recognize those guys from the squad last night...!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Speaking of Operations has anyone happened to get to the second phase in any of them? For instance the Italy one I have never taken the fortress at the end.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Deakul posted:

Hoooly gently caress, Argonne and Suez are literally the worst conquest maps I've ever played.

Possibly worse than Metro and Locker.

half agree; Argonne is amazing, and Suez is poo poo.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Battlefieild 1: So an Englishman, Irishman, and a Welshman walk into a tank...

I thought the commander was Scottish. Were they all from different parts of the isles? (I'm American and cent really tell the difference between a Welsh accent and an English one)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

eonwe posted:

ive been taking a break from bf till the next DLC

ive been playing MMOs. im a bad person

Shame on you. Also stop talking to my girlfriend in Everquest.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
If you really wanna rack up mortar kills just play any operation. Especially as defenders on the Suez map where you can easily pick them out against the light-colored dunes.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Backhand posted:

Not trying to poo poo on the game, and I know it's weird that I keep following this thread despite having left, but the reasons I myself abandoned it...

As several people have mentioned, the clusterfucking is a huge problem. BF games have gradually gravitated more and more towards the massive scale. 64p servers were definitely a thing even back in BF2 when I first started with the series, but they were much less the norm back then. Bigger maps, more vehicles, and higher player counts make things like flanking and infantry much less viable and turn the game into a meat grinder, which I have always disliked. It was fine when 32p and even 48p servers were a big thing, but they've become less and less common over time.... BF1 supports 32p conquest according to the server browser, but in all my time playing I never saw a single server for it. Not one. It's just not what most people want, I guess.

The combat feels very arcade-y. Things are often very fast paced and twitchy. There's nothing inherently wrong with that - it's just a game style - but I don't enjoy it very much. Part of this may honestly be just because I'm older now than I used to be and can't react quite as quickly as I used to, but regardless of the reason it's still un-satisfying.

The aesthetic.... I mean, it's unique. They went in a direction no ones' ever gone in before. I appreciate that, I really do. But.... I can't help it, the guns just look and feel hideously ugly. Almost none of them feel good to use; the only weapons I really enjoy are the BAR and the M1911. I feel pretty guilty about this since we the playerbase are always clamoring for something new, but the weapons just don't feel rewarding for the most part. They're ugly, they sound plinky, they're not very good outside of their very narrowly defined roles, and the customization options for them are so lacking I almost wonder why EA even bothered.

The DLC almost doesn't even need to said; they botched everything about it, and the topic has been well-discussed already.

The class balance bothered me. They obviously wanted everyone to be good at one specific role and not that great at others, so as to encourage team play. But so often it feels more punishing than anything else. Sinai in rush defense always comes immediately to mind for this. Assault? Good on you, you can prevent the enemy armor from just walking all over your team's face, but have fun getting sniped endlessly from the hills by people you can't do anything about. Sniper or medic? Well, you can do something about them now, but the armor is going to have a field day with you. I get where they were going with those balance decisions, but as a player they're frustrating.

Between the combination of all those factors, BF1 just never really felt good to play. Even when I was doing well it was more of a slog than an enjoyable experience. Rush is definitely the best game mode in my opinion since it handles one of my biggest complaints - it's a well-populated game mode with a significantly lower player count. But even that is still pretty frustrating for the other listed reasons.

Have you heard of Verdun?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Gonkish posted:

So wait, this "win 3 games of ops, frontlines, and rush each" mission isn't tracked in the mission tracker thing? Because... why? I don't know if that's :dice: stupid or just regular stupid.

You can track it here: Soldier > Dog Tags > Back > Community

and they're like the 4 bottom dog tags.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Yeah I think there were only like 2 Huots ever made too and never saw action.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

I like how they added a requirement that's just "Hey idiots you can shoot planes down with guns" and I'm still the only person shooting them with guns, except for one medic I saw aiming up at the planes.

It is how the Red Baron was shot down and killed after all :eng101:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Turns out anyone who gets to rank 139 has the same bug and the only way to fix it for the moment is just rush through the stat screens and choose the load the next map.

Hilariously before this I was considering picking Battlefront 2 on discount. Not now.

Because of a glitch in a separate game?

SWBF2 is good if you like Star Wars. That should really be the only criteria, because otherwise it’s just an okayish shooter with extremely long load times.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Chronojam posted:

I just got kicked/banned from a BF1 server for the first time ever for saying Nazis in WW1 and in game both complained about the US using shotguns. I know I'm stretching it a little bit, come on, for that??

Maybe they were being petulant about Nazis not existing in WWI (despite some Luftstreitkräfte planes sporting swastikas)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Welcome to military video games

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Operations is my favorite mode but yeah Dice and team balancing have some room for improvement. Goes for the Star Wars one too.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
If Where Eagles Dare is any indication, yes

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Maybe take a break from EA produced games for a bit if this is how yr looking at it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jimbot posted:

https://twitter.com/Jimbot256/status/1025878278580645888

Let it be known now that crouching in a corner makes you invulnerable to melee and multiple revolver slugs to the head.

He hit him once and only shot once :confused:

TTK is pretty high in this game I’ll grant you. But that didn’t seem like a glitch to me.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jimbot posted:

The melee didn't register.

I looked at it again and you’re half right; it just went right above his shoulder. Thus not connecting.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Anyone see the new single player trailer? It’s like they have the same guy editing and composing them all lol. Another blasé voice over to tune out while I marvel at Battlefield 1-esque visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Julius CSAR posted:

Ah yes Mark Strong, king of blasé

I meant the text not the delivery. “Sometimes..........you hafta fight to save what you love.” Gee that isn’t the thousandth time I’ve heard a variation of that “truism” in the last 3 years.