Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

If I had pre-ordered this game I would have cancelled it so loving hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Utnayan posted:

I am in a quandry.

1) Buy Battlefield 1 for PC. A) Awesome detail and visuals on ultra at 1200p on a 24" Dell IPS. B) 1070 GTX rocks this game. C) Keyboard and mouse control although I normally play shooters with a controller now. D) Good God the visuals. (And I can get used to M/KB again) E) Easy and fun chat is back and the banter is hilarious. Downside: A) Computer Chair. B) Audio is a weak Logitech 5.1 system.

2) Buy Battlefield 1 for PS4. A) Couch and controller. B) Home theater surround sound on a very sweet system set up. C) $47.00 with BB gamers club/Amazon Prime. D) The audio will be unmatched. And will shake my house. E) I have tons of friends on PS4, and 1 friend on Origin. Downsides: 1) Graphical hit (Is it that much?). 2) No typing messages.

Where is the majority of the goon presence? Last time I played a major FPS with goons was the best and most hilarious thing ever when playing Wolfenstein Enemy Territory.

Get an HDMI cable and a wireless keyboard.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Has jihad-horsing been implemented yet?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

On a whim, I checked my GMG account - regular key was there. Only got the email notification later. Euro goon here.

Hey, thanks! I haven't even received an e-mail, but the key was there. Pre-loading now.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Same same. Will we be able to play immediately on standard edition copies if we do the AUS VPN thing?

Don't know, but I want to give it a try. Any recommendations for a free one? You just have to launch it once with it active, right?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KM Scorchio posted:

I used FLYVPN and it worked fine. Connect, launch origin, launch game and let it cloud sync then alt tab out and disconnect.

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

Origin won't let me login when I'm VPN'ed in 8(

I unlocked it, but the play button was greyed out, so I followed the guide posted earlier, deleted the necessary folders, and all I got for my efforts was my e-mails freaking out over a login from Australia and an Origin permanently locked to Danish for some reason. :sigh:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

Alright then I'll count my blessings.

I'm Danish so it's not a huge problem, but I prefer it in English. Apparently it's a bug that has existed in Origin for more than three years.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I've been enjoying singleplayer immensely and was very surprised that I could put everything on Ultra with TAA and HBAO, on an i5-3570, HD7850 2GB and 8GB RAM, with little issue except the odd cutscene stutter. Unfortunately it runs significantly worse in multiplayer, especially the overhead transitions. Which settings are the worst offenders and/or easiest to live without?

Also, where's the Hellfighter stuff from my GMG pre-order? The customisation menu is pretty terrible.

Game is loving gorgeous, though, and the sound design absolutely incredible as always. Whoever does that should get all the awards.

Edit: Am I blind or did they miss the opportunity for a dedicated dogfight mode? For shame.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 21, 2016

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anybody else not get the Hellfighter stuff from their GMG pre-order? (Edit: Site now says there was no bonus content included. I could swear that it listed the Hellfighter pack when I ordered. :wtf:)

And does anyone have a graphics tweak guide? Game runs almost flawlessly in singleplayer, but the FPS absolutely tanks in multiplayer, especially on the map with the fog.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 21, 2016

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anyone have a list of must-have guns for each class and which to avoid like the plague?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Avoid anything marked "factory" or "low weight." Also for the bolt actions "carbine" is always better than "infantry"

ASSault: anything
Medic: Anything that's "optical"
Scout: Anything "carbine," Gweher 98 marksman, Martini-Henry, 1895 Trench
Support: Madsen Storm, Trech BAR, Suppressive MG15

Avoid:

Medic: Either .35 Model 8
Scout: M1903 Experimental
Support: Lewis Gun or Huot

Thanks!

Anybody have a good user.cfg handy to squeeze some more performance out of this game?

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 22, 2016

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Why is the loadout page so loving terrible? It keeps resetting loadouts or gives me an error when I try to equip things.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

revolther posted:

Anyone else order through greenmangaming and not sure how to get their preorder skins?

Whoever said the Standard Edition pre-order from GMG had the Hellfighter stuff was wrong, it seems.

https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/229776387-Battlefield-1-Release-FAQ

quote:

Is there a pre purchase bonus included with my purchase?

There is no pre order bonus included with your purchase of Battlefield 1 on Green Man Gaming.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Man, the full game runs like utter dogshit. I was able to play the beta without much difficulty, but now it's unplayably bad. The FPS warning indicator is constantly in the orange/red, and no setting I adjust makes any difference. I have an i7 and a GTX 780 (which is older, I know, but I've never seen it struggle like this before).

I have an i5-3570 and an HD7850, the singleplayer runs more or less flawlessly on Ultra with TAA and HBAO, but it struggles a lot in multiplayer even with the most taxing settings on Medium, especially on maps with fog. Amiens was the worst, where the screen would sometimes get a blue hue and some blinding sun effect spawned permanently in the middle of the map. I could max out BF4 (no AA, though) without issue.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Any tips for "5 kills in a life as Assault" objective? Most I've been able to get is four by sheer luck. Also, I'm never playing Assault again once I get this drat medal, Jesus Christ.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I destroyed a plane with the MP18 Trench.

TheLightPurges posted:

People seem to be unaware theres a battlelog type site where you can change your loadouts.

Yeah, that would be great if it didn't keep resetting them or give constant errors when you try to change them. It also shows skins you haven't actually unlocked for some reason.

Hungry Bit posted:

- Searching for the refresh server list -button there's none

Huh? There's a little circle arrow icon top right that does it for me?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Fun visual bug on Ameins in Operations. The weather changed after a successful wave defense and suddenly the sun was a blazing giant lens flare that completely obscured your vision if you looked vaguely east towards where the germans spawned. Affected at least half of the defending team so at least it wasn't my video card melting.

I get this literally every time I play it, so I just quit when it comes up. Sometimes it's piss yellow. And the screen will sometimes flicker in and out of a cyan hue. Glad to know it's not my card burning out from the strain.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

All you people not getting battlepacks could have it worse. You could be scrapping all the poo poo skins and investing in an "Enhanced" one, only to the get the same goddamn BAR skin you already have, which only scraps for 90. Wasted 370 scraps on that.

Whoever designed the UI deserves to get severe trench foot.

By the way, if you're getting bad frame drops, try switching to borderless. Worked wonders for me.

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Why are people using match making in a game with a server browser :psyduck: ?

Well, for one, the European servers had no people this morning and I had bad ping to the American ones, tried matchmaking and instantly got into a full server with good ping.

Edit: What's a good sidearm, aside from the Mars?

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 24, 2016

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The huge magazine obscuring your view on the Madsen is pretty annoying, I didn't like it much and did worse with it than the Benet-Mercie. BAR Trench is a goddamn beast, though, and promptly replaced them all. Sporting the Warhorse skin and chewing through dudes like butter.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Beet Wagon posted:

Been enjoying the single player so far, but I keep getting massive frame rate drops/freezing in multi. I guess System Requirements Lab wasn't lying when they said I needed a better CPU for this game...

Try running borderless, turn down lighting and postprocessing, disable memory restriction and create a user.cfg in the BF1 root folder with the following lines:

gametime.maxvariablefps 60
Thread.JobThreadPriority 2

where 60 is the max refresh rate of your monitor or desired FPS for smooth play.

Turning on borderless made the biggest difference for me, so try that first.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Beet Wagon posted:

I coincidentally happened to order a new CPU/mobo/ram not too long ago that I think is sitting on my doorstep at the moment that should put me well in line to run it with no issues, but if I get everything put together and am still having problems I'll try this, thanks. My drops were pretty savage - I'd go from 45-50 fps down to 5-10 and cycle back up again, so I'm thinking it was less about the graphics and more about the game itself only barely being able to run on my system. TBF, my current CPU was mid-range like 5 years ago and doesn't meet the minimum requirements, so it's not really the game's fault.

For what it's worth, I am running an i5-3570 and HD7850 and was able to max out singleplayer, so it might be something buggy about fullscreen combined with multiplayer. I still get the odd frame drop, but not the periodic absolute slideshow I used to. :shrug:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Loadouts resetting is because of battlepacks. :dice:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Welp, I updated my graphics card to a GTX 970. I can run the campaign on Ultra with no issues whatsoever, but the multiplayer is just as lovely as it always was (framerates START and STAY in the 20-30 range constantly). And I'm pretty sure my RAM isn't the problem, because I have 16GB running on dual channel. I'm thinking about returning what I just bought and getting a 1060 or 1080, but I hear those aren't performing well on multiplayer either.

:sigh: It's goddamn frustrating seeing how cool everything is and not being able to do anything but play the meh campaign.

Try this:

SplitSoul posted:

Try running borderless, turn down lighting and postprocessing, disable memory restriction and create a user.cfg in the BF1 root folder with the following lines:

gametime.maxvariablefps 60
Thread.JobThreadPriority 2

where 60 is the max refresh rate of your monitor or desired FPS for smooth play.

Turning on borderless made the biggest difference for me, so try that first.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Shima Honnou posted:

The only options it gives me are fullscreen, windowed, and borderless window but the borderless option, as I said, doesn't work as a fullscreen for whatever reason.

Weird, it works for me on Windows 7.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bohemian Nights posted:

Press Q to have an angel descend from heaven and blow you.

If all the useless scouts plinking away on a hillside would at least just do that, I wouldn't mind them as much.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Seriously, everyone with FPS issues should give borderless a whirl.

Internet Explorer posted:

So is this a typical lovely DICE release or did they mostly get it right this time around?

Spectacularly good by :dice: standards, except the menus were designed by a severely cognitively challenged person.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

spiralbrain posted:

Along these lines Im not sure why people are complaining about customization of loadouts. Sure you can only do in game from within a game, but there is the companion app where you can change it, along with the battlefield website. Its actually quicker to do it from either imo.

Yeah, that would be great if it didn't fail half the time and then reset your loadouts, or reset your loadouts whenever you receive a battlepack. Obviously I'd rather want to Alt+Tab or mess with my phone instead of having essential functionality be in the game.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

:siren::siren::siren: IF YOU ARE HAVING FPS ISSUES, SWITCH TO BORDERLESS. :siren::siren::siren:

Somebody put this in the title.

BORDERLESS 1: MAKE THE GAME BORDERLESS AGAIN

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Played goddamn TDM to get that sweet skull dogtag. Progress resets out of the blue. This system is terrible.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Had to Alt+F4 when I tried to quit a match. Now it's saying it can't synchronise with the cloud. Tried relaunching Origin. Nothing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I don't know why everyone was going on about the Selbstlader, I'm trying for the medal that requires a self-loader and the headshot part really sucks. Just playing TDM and praying for a lucky shot. Can't get a feel for the rifle at all, most of my kills stem from either getting the drop on someone or stealing kills, I rarely win a head-on engagement.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

disjoe posted:

Sweet so I'll just be taunted with the TDM medal when I play Operations and be unable to access it for the next couple of days.

Unless you can finish all your goals on the same server in one go, your medals will reset if you try to complete them later. It's totally broken.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Try cleaning out your drivers with DDU and reinstall them.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Haven't played this for like two months and there are some 2500 new posts. Anything new and exciting?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Is there a word for the Soviet equivalent of a Wehraboo?

Comrade.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Watch EA somehow gently caress this up. Some people in the PUBG thread are eyeing a Chinese F2P clone because lacks a ton of the jank. BR on Frostbite done competently with levelution and poo poo would kill the competition dead.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BigglesSWE posted:

Buildable fortifications.

El Alameincraft

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Game will probably be good if I get to shoot a bunch of Nazis and hear a *PLING*.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Delacroix posted:

A bug or gamebreaking exploit might be discovered after a few days, big performance hits after an update, gadgets nerfed hard or guns/vehicles not nerfed at all, these tend to stay in the game for months at a time.

We'll have to wait and see, but jackfrags mentioned that a lot more stuff will be handled server-side now, so hopefully that'll mean more frequent updates and less downloading 10GB patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BigglesSWE posted:

Gonna be fun when they finally make 2143 and gamers will argue that there are no females in the future.

Battlefield: Gender Wars