Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

DoctorStrangelove posted:

This game also lets you strap a pack of dynamite to a horse and ram it into a tank, a feature I'm told many people are looking forward to.

http://i.imgur.com/xL7RfdM.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

K8.0 posted:

Battlefield Won

Thread Name and OP change, please.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Can you make this one stupid, unneeded and unfunny change to the OP?

"stupid"
"unneeded"
"unfunny"

:colbert:

EDIT: Alright, I'll give you "unneeded." But the other two? C'mon.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 2, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
If you aren't blowing your whistle the entire round, you are failing as a Squad Leader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPtVNDvwGMo&t=110s

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

afkmacro posted:

There is an emblem editor in the battle log replacement companion app horseshit. It was just locked during beta. The emblem goes on the side of your weapons where the nation flags currently are displayed in white.

Well, in that case, I'll bring back the old spreadsheet I opened at the beginning of BF4.

CLICK HERE FOR HOT GOON EMBLEMS
:wink:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 8, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Bohemian Nights posted:

do you mean the emblem code or whatever? I think you can just copy it from my profile, it's set to share the emblem w/ everyone

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/BohemianNights/

Somebody add it to the library.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
For those of you interested:

https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/778270019780214784?s=09

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

No one has mentioned Operations yet?

This sounds awesome but how in the hell will I see Sinai if Argonne was the next map???

Multiple Rush-style maps within the larger Conquest maps?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Hey, nerds, just a heads up: The game is 22% off on Green Man Gaming right now if you have an account. Up from 12% just recently. I suggest you grab it now because I wouldn't feel comfortable holding out for 25%.

drat. They don't have Premium on there.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

evil_bunnY posted:

Why the gently caress would you buy that now instead of deciding when the first DLC comes out.

Eh. Pre-order sickness. :shrug:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Deakul posted:

This better let me get the Hellfighters skins or so help me...

It appears to be the "Standard" edition, so you should get the Hellfighter stuff... and not much else:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Randler posted:

I would not put it past :dice: to overstate minimum system requirements in order to deflect any accusations of poor optimization.

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

A lot of friends of mine have been pretty impressed with how well it runs on all of our machines of various ages. The steep requirements might just be "optimal" requirements.

poo poo, I was running it with a questionable GTX 460. It wasn't pretty, but I could play okay. :shrug:

Single-Player Teaser Snipe: https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/780436917712191488

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Have another (overlapping) snippet:

https://twitter.com/EA/status/780467089391968256

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYlD-SSHF4s

Almost a throwback to "hotswapping" from BF2:MC

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Not gonna lie, I wish more than just the first mission was a hotswapping meatgrinder.
Just enormous, wide-open battlefields. Oh, you died? Here, have another vessel body.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Here's the schedule of streamed "events" leading up to the release:

And here are some better images of the cosmetic stuff you get with a pre-order of the "Deluxe" and higher editions:

quote:

Red Baron Pack:
  • Vehicle Package: Red Baron's Triplane
  • Sidearm: Red Baron's P08
  • Emblem: Red Baron's Flyer Pin
Lawrence of Arabia Pack:
  • Horse: Lawrence of Arabia's Black Stallion (new visual appearance for the horse)
  • Weapon: Lawrence of Arabia's SMLE
  • Sidearm: Lawrence of Arabia's Jambiya
  • Emblem: Lawrence of Arabia's Emblem
New visual appearance on the largest vehicles in the game:
  • Frontline Camouflage Train
  • Night Raid Airship
  • Dazzle Camouflage Dreadnought

You of course also get the Harlem Hellfighter stuff just for pre-ordering:

quote:

Harlem Hellfighter Pack containing:
  • Weapon: Hellfighter Trench Shotgun
  • Siderarm: Hellfighter M1911
  • Melee: Hellfighter Bolo Knife
  • Emblem: Hellfighter Insignia

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Axetrain posted:

Is there any downside to buying this from Green Man Gaming, do I get the pre-order stuff if I get it from there?

It's the "Standard" Edition, so you'll only get the Hellfighter pack and 7-days early access to the "Giant's Shadow" map due in December.

For visual reference:

quote:

Harlem Hellfighter Pack containing:
  • Weapon: Hellfighter Trench Shotgun
  • Siderarm: Hellfighter M1911
  • Melee: Hellfighter Bolo Knife
  • Emblem: Hellfighter Insignia

quote:

Red Baron Pack:
  • Vehicle Package: Red Baron's Triplane
  • Sidearm: Red Baron's P08
  • Emblem: Red Baron's Flyer Pin
Lawrence of Arabia Pack:
  • Horse: Lawrence of Arabia's Black Stallion (new visual appearance for the horse)
  • Weapon: Lawrence of Arabia's SMLE
  • Sidearm: Lawrence of Arabia's Jambiya
  • Emblem: Lawrence of Arabia's Emblem
New visual appearance on the largest vehicles in the game:
  • Frontline Camouflage Train
  • Night Raid Airship
  • Dazzle Camouflage Dreadnought

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 15, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Just for clarity, the Standard Edition available on GMG gives you early access to Giant's Shadow. It does not give you early access to the game on October 18th.

Whoops, yeah. Corrected.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Yeah, if Operations dies as a mode, I'm going to be extremely sad. It is amazing.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Here are the 4 remaining maps that we'll see at release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5twthWgkYCQ

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Kawabata posted:

please keep defending both EA dumb business models and DLCs, we're listening

:nallears:

Does this mean the other Operations are available now?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Er... there was something here, but now there is not.

Operations is cool. That is all.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 17, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Still waiting on the Launch Trailer, but here's a fun TV spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1y-C0_oDYw

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I'm managing on a GTX 460, so... :shrug:

Oh gods, I hope I can snag a 1070 in November :pray:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Boz0r posted:

Does the game support AMD Phenom II processors?

gfanikf posted:

So it's actually possible to run this game with a GTX 460?

https://youtu.be/FxigsOO5byU

Yes to both of these. I'm running on a GTX 460 and an AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black. I would say it runs better than that video shows, maybe ~45 fps? Been having a blast.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

gfanikf posted:

Awesome. I've always been pretty happy with the scaling I've gotten in the Battlefield series, so it's good to know I can once again avoid getting it on the PS4.

Yeah, I mean, it's at 1600x900 upscaled 110% on the slider (on a 1920x1080 monitor). No doubt people will scoff at that, but it still looks fine and plays great. :shrug:

Parkingtigers posted:

I finally got to play Operations. Oh. My. loving. God. It's a legit war movie that you get to take part in, truly amazing. This game just went from really loving good, to best shootmans I've ever played. That's it, this is all I need until they make a WW2 version in 2018.

It's so good.

Here's hoping for more Operations and Operations server options in the future.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 21, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

gfanikf posted:

Hey if this is everything set on low....you know I'm fine with thay. I'm just set on low with a 1600×900. I'm only playing sp as mp is still installing but not complaints so far. Game looks great.

:hfive:

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Holy poo poo the launch day update massively improved the quality of my experience. Everything is now at Ultra and it runs even faster than before. Praise!

Oooh. Wonder what this will do for the 460 club. :neckbeard:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Take that hill, Goons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSFUNMrWvk

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

SeanBeansShako posted:

And after the 1st crash half of it might not even be the truth cause the dude is a lying dick.

Operations sound amazing, I hope DICE and the Battlefield community think of just doing a weekly Operations event to keep the game mode chugging now.

I've left "Usage Data" on, and I hope DICE see people like me doing nothing but Operations. It's fun as hell and I really want them to continue to support and develop it. Each DLC is supposed to have 4 more maps, so thats 1-2 more Operations per DLC potentially, and if they allowed custom servers to run Operations in perpetuity, it would be amazing.

And if they allowed those servers to run single maps in the Operations mode, or even to create custom Operations by selecting the maps, etc? :syoon:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Rhandhali posted:

Anyone else having issues with barbed wire and various metal bits sparkling like there's a disco ball suspended above the battlefield?

Well, there is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnRuaIAJ7ac

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

I see people dumping on it in here, but I rather enjoy the 64-Player Operations. Yeah, it's tough for the attackers, but that's why I usually hope I get put on that team.

Embrace the chaos, the carnage. Charging up a hill with a line of screaming infantry while mortars rain constantly is incredible. Incendiary bombing runs over packed trenches are awesome. Even the bunker fights feel great when you're breaching locked killhole doors with charges. And when you're put on Defense? It's fun to hold those lines against the hordes. When they start to break through and everyone is routing...

While you obviously have a greater chance of really swinging a battle with a smaller player count, the fact that the odds are so against you as an attacker in 64-Player Operations makes even the littlest swing feel amazing.

v:shobon:v

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 23, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of behemoths, are there any weak spots that are particularly vulnerable? I know about targeting turrets to disable them for a while, but I'm wondering if there's an analogue for reducing their base HP. I'm pretty sure that every now and then I seem to land a hit that results in ~10 more damage/points than usual.

On the Airship, the destruction of any of the gondolas (gunners AND engines) takes a decent chunk of health, but it seems that many people don't realize that you can also target and destroy sections of the body itself, starting with the nosecone and working your way down both sides of the Airship. You can only do each section once, but they knock off similar chunks of health.

For the Dreadnaught, the torpedo bomber is great.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

havenwaters posted:

Still using this one from the old bf4 emblem google doc. Think I lost my link to that google doc.

Here you go: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JioaSAtuf53NvR5dTHEXzB88dOUTEbl2GxzJO12JfBM/edit?usp=sharing

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Gonkish posted:

If you're one of those terrible, horrible people that miss Operations Locker and Metro, the new spamfest isn't Argonne, it's the B point at the third set of flags on Monte Grappa in Operations. You're in a bunker, under a hill, with only two entranceways. The airship can't gently caress with you, tanks can't gently caress with you, no one can gently caress with you.

It's ridiculous that they let this go through. Two VERY tight doorways that lead to a small but spacious enough (i.e., one nade won't wipe the room) bunker. All you have to do as the defenders is keep up an endless tide of gas/incendiary grenades at the doorways. The Italian attackers will then have absolutely no way in that isn't a.) gassed to hell b.) ON loving FIRE c.) full of bullets. I just saw a full-health MG sentry drop dead in less than a second from the combined hail of bullets, gas, and fiery doom. I almost wish that DICE was stupid enough to put a flametrooper kit down there, too, just to enhance the absurdity of it.

You can capture the point without entering the bunker. :ssh: It's the entire hilltop, just chill out above-ground (might wanna destroy the turret though).

I do agree that it would be better/awesome if the destroyed turrets served as an opening, but the point is hardly impossible to take.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 24, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

SeanBeansShako posted:

Can't those doors be taken down with the TNT charges the Assault has? If not, they should be.

Yup. Locked doors can be busted using TNT, Mines, Grenades, Tanks, Bombs, and Rocket Guns. Their state is persistent between Operations rounds.

Danith posted:

I'm trying to import a emblem from that spreadsheet and when I open the browser console and paste the code it just gives me 'VM428:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: emblem is not defined
at <anonymous>:1:2'

Did they change something so it doesn't work or is it something on my end? This is with chrome.

:(

Let me know if you get it working and I'll change the instructions.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

The Jumpoff posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this. Does anyone know if the Mobile app has the same issues as the web app, ie loving your loadouts and not saving them?

I don't know about that, but I can tell you it has the same problem as Origin in that the checkmark to "remember this computer/device" doesn't do poo poo, so you have to re-authenticate and/or sign in every time you open it. :cripes:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

JFC posted:

If they follow this with a WWII game there should definitely be a transport plane you can spawn into to parachute out of as a player with a paratrooper gear loadout.

As of right now, I really wouldn't mind them doing another "WWI" game first. Maybe just a second season of DLC (~16 maps)? :shrug:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'm hoping for a Secret Weapons of WW1 or another End Game/Final Stand DLC with future weapons

Well, they've already got the "Mothership" behemoth for an Alien Invasion DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnRuaIAJ7ac&t=6s

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kKLWW_fl74

As a final DLC? Sure. Why Not.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 28, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Magni posted:

So, stacking something like 16+ goons on a team in 40-man Operations mode is kinda ludicrous. We managed to take both maps on Iron Walls (Monte Grappa and Empire's Edge) as the Italians on the first set of tickets! Then we did Kaiserschlacht, got put on the british team and over three set of 150 tickets and two airships the german team managed to take a grand total of two sectors from us. :magical:

Magni posted:

40-man Operations mode

:chloe:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

What makes it preferable to 64?

People get frustrated that Operations is such a challenge for the Attacking team. Things like the bunkers in Iron Walls don't help. 40-Player Operations makes it more of a 50/50 situation.

Personally, I still prefer the chaos of 64-Player Operations. I'm fairly certain it's supposed to be weighted against the attackers, and I like the challenege. :shrug: