Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The canister round on the light tank is BF3 canister shell all over again, except this time you don't even need to leave the tank to repair. :dice:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is there any particular technique to using the planes anti-infantry bombs? I can never seem to hit anything with them, so I'm not sure I'm even aiming at the right place or releasing at the right time. There doesn't even seem to be any sort of sound or visual effect of them going off, at least for the pilot, so I can't even tell when they hit.

They scatter over a fairly large radius so go for low altitude bombing runs on antenna. I saw someone racking up multikills just strafing train and antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

404notfound posted:

Played scout for a while. The periscope is great for long-range support if you're a lovely sniper like me. Still can't figure out how the flare gun works. I think it's only supposed to show blips on your minimap, but do they have to have LOS to the flare or is it just radius-based? Hasn't seemed very helpful so far.

It's like a wizball in all respects, I steal kits and fire them into houses to light up enemies through walls constantly. There's a second variant which "blinds" insomuch it adds lots of bloom in a small area.

Lazyfire posted:

I can totally see this map being not played that much at launch. Most of it is empty space with one honeypot point at C. I get the feeling it'll be like F on Golmud where everyone who knows better just ignores it for the other points.

It really isn't a good map to show off battlefield. E is so easy to neutralise because only a few players will respond, making it easy to kill off resistance using a horse. Every point outside of the town is constantly being ninjacapped by clowncars or paradrop.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

404notfound posted:

... Ah, hell, I think the reason it hasn't worked very well for me is because I've been firing it way up into the air like you normally do with a flare gun :downsgun:

I guess I'll try shooting it at the enemy next time.

There's even an incentive to shoot at it where enemies are likely are! It'll eventually set them on fire which can kill injured players.

ijyt posted:

Also how does the train work, do you have to cap a specific thing or is it a "you're losing too hard, here have this!". The tips video didn't explain it.

e: also I hope there's a rolling map like that one unreal tournament map where it's one team on the train and then the other trying to take it out before it reaches a certain point.

The train is a behemoth, it'll spawn for the losing team once a certain number of tickets have been hit.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

ethanol posted:

can the recoiless rifle pick up actually kill tank drivers? It seems more like it just plinks some damage off a tank. I dunno if its the lack of unlocks yet or what but playing antitank is a pain in the rear end. I know people liked C4ing tanks but 'run towards the tank' has never been my go to anti tank strategy in battlefield

I don't know if the rocket gun can shoot people out of enclosed vehicles but you can disable treads or sponsors with enough directed damage.

The tank gewehr pickup on the other hand will cycle seven shots and blow up a landship before it can even rotate around to fire.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

If you like jumping on the horse with the heavy armour pickups, try spawning on a horse. The officer has a bulletproof vest, comes with light AT nades and drops ammo and health kits. They can absorb the best part of two SMG mags and still murder the lower class with saber and handgun. Their only weakness (applies to the heavy armour kits as well) is bayonet charges, outside of that you can keep yourself topped up to avoid melee takedowns.

The M1911 is so wonderfully lethal I wish I could run around with the tank gewehr and pistol all the time. :allears:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

What is the best way to kill the flamethrower dude? I swear I got him 3 times with a shotgun and he still killed me :argh:

They take significantly reduced damage from bullets to their chest and limbs, you need to use incendiary nades, (to a normal soldier the afterburn is ~40 damage, they'll take about 20) frags or dynamite to flush them out.

My opinion is that melee takedowns are the way to go. I've had a lot of success throwing heavy anti tank grenades at sentries or flammenwerfers and charging around a corner if they don't run away. To anyone who doesn't know, bayonet charges are an instant kill but melee weapons vary significantly. The second damage bar in the customisation page is the takedown threshold. A pickaxe or shovel only needs their health to be 80% for a takedown but clubs and the trench knife are lower.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

afkmacro posted:

Is there an anti air truck in this game? I haven't seen a list of vehicles yet.

You can customise the artillery truck to be mobile AA.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The light tank flanker kit is devastating, the autocannon mulches through tanks and its secondary is rapidfire canister rounds. :stare:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

afkmacro posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a visual glitch, I had the rapid fire canister rounds but it didn't actually kill the people I was aiming at.

My experience has been more fulfilling. It's finicky to aim in third person but it will kill infantry in 2-3 shells if you treat it as a vehicle mounted shotgun. I had a round where I went 40-0 and nope, even with all flags captured you can't close a 30 point gap in the last minute because :dice: idiotic ticket system.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

keyframe posted:

I have discovered our lord and savior the armored AA truck. That thing is broken as gently caress it's hilarious.

The best part is that it shuts down plane ghostcapping and armoured cars can't do anything to it.

On a completely different note, everyone has seen light tank rampages but I hope these clips are semi educational (spoiler I am not good at videos).

Namely you can disable sponson guns well before engine cripple, an autocannon is terrifying against heavy tanks and the secondary canister fire can three shot infantry 25m away, provided you ignore the positively terrible reticule and can aim (i.e not me). It's easily twice the size than it needs to be so you need to eyeball your shots when being rushed by infantry.

Stick to the main gun honestly, it's like being an attack helicopter gunner but without plane rams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMujodGVrmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNiz-137HJk

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELkoOKW2YK8

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I don't think it's necessary to use the scope to drop bombs, I encourage people to fly low however!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qsj0D4fy7k

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

If the Russian 1895 can do 97 damage to normal infantry ~40 metres away but a point blank shot to an officer is 68, they must have 1.5 times health or more.

They basically take chip damage from automatic weapon however, it feels like they have torso+limb damage reduction modifier instead since they still die to a bolt action headshot.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The recent patch removed the time limit so the train can actually make a difference now.

Things still go wrong though.

https://gfycat.com/MajesticAlienatedAsianwaterbuffalo

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

rap music posted:

That's exactly how K bullets should be used imo. Repair interruption. Except in the case of armored cars where a couple of snipers can very quickly destroy it.

One scout is more than enough to ruin an armoured car, the turret seems to be the weakspot. K bullets are absolutely worthless against planes, you do the same damage with normal ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgfm0OzvHbM

pedro0930 posted:

It's probably a bug. Plus only passenger weapon is effected. The driver still has the same gun and secondary skill which is the most important.

What's with locational damage in BF1? It seems hitting a tank in the side or rear at most does 50% extra damage. I also can't consistently do critical hit except taking out the heavy tank's side weapon. I guess they want tanks to have more survivibility up close instead of fighting at lomg range?

It's really noticeable with the mark IV because the tank hunter sponsons can blow up a light tank in a single volley but a pubbie will somehow force their way inside and suddenly make it a five seat tank with stubby cannons.

You can shoot out treads with the tank gewehr in one shot, otherwise most instances of locational damage I've witnessed have been in close quarters.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yeah dynamite is a bit weird, unless it's just the locational damage on vehicles that is weird, i dropped all 3 of my dynamite on a light tank, on different spots because i was in a hurry and all 3 of them combined only did like 75 damage total i think? They really want to hammer in the use of those anti-tank grenades don't they?

I haven't used the dynamite extensively but it feels like it does roughly the same amount of damage as a heavy AT nade, up to 40 damage on a direct hit with high radius falloff.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 7, 2016

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

People need to die with their tanks. I stole two tanks, shot their owner and went on a killing spree in the same match after hitting emergency repair. It's like they don't know what all the buttons do. :3:

The wrench also makes long range K bullets and rocket guns a joke. Then it's a matter of driving over and hunting them down.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Do deaths still add to the ticket score? Just wondering if I should ever revive people as medic.

Only flags contribute to tickets. People tap out because they're idiots who think holding space will make them deploy faster. Being melee'd prevents revives too, so there aren't many people to revive. When you consider distance, danger and effort, there's probably one person outside your squad you can revive in time.

The timer is really short as well, overall the execution is incredibly stupid and inferior in every aspect to older games.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I can see the logic. A lot of people don't want to be revived where they died because they are afraid (often correctly) that they'll just be killed again right away. In previous games it was often annoying to be revived by point-hungry medics when you didn't want to be. It was also a common griefer tactic to revive-kill someone in a cycle.

Players can adapt. They will learn "I will not be revived if I do not press the button", and quite possibly many of them don't want to be anyway. As the medic I would suggest simply limiting yourself to people who show they want to be revived.

BF3 let you decide if you wanted to get back up or not. If you were shot in the crawling state, you'd stay dead and lose the ticket refund. If you got up and were killed again, the skit could happen all over again.

:dice: has gone backwards on the implementation of revives. If they don't incentivise syringe use like they did with capping then medics will replace it with rifle grenades and never look back.

Krinkle posted:

You could see friendly sniper glares, right? I didn't imagine that?

Yes and the best part is the almost invisible friendly blip for added confusion.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

AT mines make gigantic ditches compared to other explosives, it's only right that tanks will drive into them and blow up now that they don't have the crutch of thermal vision.

Also if snipers are camping a rooftop you can use dynamite and take out the floor underneath them. I only wish support got dynamite so they can do rapid house renovations.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Don't forget the support will likely have the small mortar to sit back and generally miss targets with.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

It certainly made you appreciate the field guns until of course they were knocked out by the bombers/tanks and they remained useless twisted metal wrecks.

I don't know why dice avoids bringing back good features from previous games but stationary weapons should respawn if destroyed. It shouldn't require reinventing the wheel for age-old problems.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

It makes no sense because well, unless the structure they are mounted on can be knocked out you can have invincible heavy machine guns like the ones at D.

The stationary weapons, for all intentions and purposes, are vehicles with a separate health pool. In previous titles they can be destroyed completely. The HMG emplacements inside D's train carriage should be no different. In BC2 they had full body shields which stopped small arms, were placed in good spots (i.e murder waves of attackers) and they respawned if blown up. Being placed in exposed positions, it's the least dice can do.

For everything else like field cannons and static AA, just make the patch of dirt underneath them undeformable like the physical flag on each capture point.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Do ammo packs give back explosives in BF4 or hardline? The ammo crate in BF1 takes time to restock grenades which is more in line with BF3.

Monocled Falcon posted:

I think Supports could be really awesome to combine with one or more aggressive recons in a full squad. Infinite spotting flares should give a huge advantage.

It's a great tactic and with flares and incendiary grenades you can figuratively smoke people out into the open!

I would cut out the middleman and use a horse for that however. You can drop ammo and health packs from the saddle like a mobile vending machine. I actually have a video (once I learn how to edit) where I kept a horse inside a house at C for safekeeping. :3:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I wish I could immediately snap to targets with no deviation on tracking and attribute it to skill.

He's using the cheater's weapon of choice in BF1 and my suspicions were confirmed checking what he uses in BF4! His kills with self-loading rifles and pistol take forever since the TTK skyrockets when you button mash like an idiot instead of aiming properly.

If it was a little more subtle it'd be as hilarious as the people who deliberately tank their global KDR and accuracy only to get 100% HSR in individual matches.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

I never heard anyone yell before charging in the beta.

You only hear yelling during the charge and not before, it activates instantly from sprinting. And you either hear it or you don't at all, as opposed to gunfire. I hope they make it super obvious by release because there is no expert navigation required when you have as much damage resistance as a cavalry officer while charging.

https://streamable.com/v83k

Chronojam posted:

Probably like how jeep beeps were client side in bf3 initially

They made horns audible to everyone this time around, they've remembered something at least.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 22, 2016

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Let's hope the campaign with all its carefully made setpieces won't have the same problem as MP where terrain traversal is a sad affair afflicting infantry and vehicles alike.

They're never fixing vaulting/getting stuck on a pebble.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Did anyone manage to roadkill teammates by ghostriding jeeps into them? I never thought to try during the beta.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Conquest kind of sucks now that kills are added to the tickets again. In the beta, most matches were really close and could tug-of-war. Now, most matches are won by 200+ points or more depending on if they get a good base-rape in beforehand.

Matches in the beta could go back and forth if both teams cared about capping the entire time. When people stopped capping that's when the scores got blown out.

More often than not one side would get bogged down between two points and the people who made a difference were the ones backcapping or spawned away from the big fight to contest. If one team got ahead by 60 points, you'd run out of time trying to close the gap; the writing was already on the wall 10 minutes ago. The ticket gain was that slow.

The big difference is previously, the hundred deaths accumulated by the lower half of the losing team meant nothing. It masked how terrible a team was doing. That same bad team that was destined to lose before will lose faster now. A combination of shooting things and capping will still outscore some pubstar with murder vision. If your whole squad is doing the same, you'll probably win too.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

IceOrb posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed Suez feels like a BC1/BC2 map.

I can't remember the name of it but it was a desert map in BC1 that opens with you assaulting a small town connected by a bridge.

Then in MCOM location 2 it moves into an urban setting with tons of small buildings. This map feels identical in layout.

I think it's worse than Oasis conquest from BC2 when Suez funnels the action into a strip down the middle. Oasis broke up sightlines a lot better since all the buildings aren't clustered on one side of the map. Fao is a neat map when the weather rolls in and the gaggle of scouts can't be bothered to use flares.

Sniper rifles remain stupidly easily. Sniping is a cinch when a bodyshot is 90% health a hundred metres away.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

TwatHammer posted:

On the plus side, The EA access trial counts as the preload so i don't have to redownload this fucker again.

Also, as a support what guns should i be b-lining for granting that the starter gun isnt complete dogshit like the medics.

If you don't want to deal with the mechanic, just use the Madsen. It functions similarly to low RoF ARs in older titles. Better magazine size than the BAR, same damage upclose and decent hipfire for the support class.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The lack of bipod (or perceptible bipod, anyways) is throwing me for a loop with support guns. This reverse spread poo poo is not that fun.

As mentioned, the suppressive variants have a bipod. You're not getting one with guns named light infantry or low weight. The M1909 and BAR gunner variants have bipods but they lack high capacity magazines.

The sentry's MG 08/15 is really good, it reaches max accuracy in four shots while stationary; you can touch enemies 30-40 metres away with it. Support LMGs should be patterned in the same manner, it's not like they're going to beat anyone in the DPS department or outgun loving ridiculous sniper rifles.

On that note, the flamer kit is completely outclassed by the sentry after the range and damage was nerfed compared to the open beta version.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I could get engine disabled or several wing panels with the attack plane tailgun MG before it overheated in the beta. The real problem was that there was some inexplicable bug that caused bullets to no longer fire at the reticule. That's probably why people had so much trouble hitting things with it.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Symetrique posted:

Throwing limpet charges around corners on Amiens is also pretty fun to do.

The limpet charge puts giant holes into walls too. It's the renovation tool the support needed.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Did they change the bullet speed? I am running scout with the Gewehr 98 Carbine and I swear I can throw bullets faster. There goes the getting up close and personal. :(

The Gewehr 98's unique characteristic is high bullet velocity, at 880m/s. Other sniper rifles are in the region of 700m/s. The exception is the Martini-Henry, that gun instagibs normal infantry between 30-80m in exchange for travelling at 440m/s. If you sniped at all in BF3 it feels like home.

I still can't get over sniper rifles rarely doing less than 80% health.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

cheese posted:

If you are shooting at groups of infantry engaged in combat, you don't even need to aim for headshots since most of those guys are going to be below 100 health, which makes an easy body shot a 1 hit kill.

I know. You see it everywhere on maps with long sightlines like Suez or St Quetin's.

It's a big departure from older titles where damage fell off hard. Now the rifles cycle faster, require less lead and bodyshot for 92 damage from 90m away. A stray bullet is probable death.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

What I'm reading here is that support has two types of mortars available and one of them can kill tanks and the other is for infantry and you guide the shells after you fire them somewhat. Looks like I'm still playing support and just dropping bombs on snipers/trying to hit a random plane with shells all day.

It works like the BF3 mortar, you fire on a location on the minimap but you watch it travel in flight so you can guide follow-up rounds. The travel time is lower than BF3 version and you can blindfire spam a chokepoint with shells.

I don't see it staying like this for long.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do you have to track a medal to start completing its objectives? Even if you do them in order?

Kind of a pain in the rear end if so.

You absolutely have to track a medal to make progress.

Bloodplay it again posted:

I think you have to complete each objective in order. I had hundreds of resupplies and dozens of mortar kills but they didn't get checked off until I got 15 suppressions first and then completed each of the tasks for the support-themed medal.

Yup! If you remember assignments from BF3 there's precedence for how stupidly implemented the medals are. Another case of one step back.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

A bipodded medic rifle can shoot at full RoF and stay accurate. Go nuts with them.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

404notfound posted:

What magnification level do you guys use the telescopic BAR at? And is it still good enough at hip fire to use while gassing all the things?

Also trying to decide between the 1895 trench and infantry for scout, or maybe I'll give the semi-auto M1903 a shot. Although my motivation to play scout has gone way down now that I've finally unlocked the Kolibri.

Try using K bullets with the 1903 experimental at least once. The gun itself is quite bad like the Kolibri but it's a neat touch nevertheless.

Snuffman posted:

Are battlepacks just skins this time around?

The scrap thing is just for building melee weapon skins, right?

Battlepacks are skins, yeah. They don't unlock the respective weapon so they're likely of dubious value.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

Any tips for getting kills with the rifle grenades as the Medic? I feel like I'm launching wet farts at the enemy and I feel useless having to give up my revive needle for it.

It has a low arc, reloads in a instant and it has a tendency to bounce off terrain. I think it's a mistake to treat it as if you have four grenades to carefully pick and choose, rapid fire them around corners or off alley walls in Amiens. Flush out room campers by ricocheting frag rounds off interior walls or the doorway.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Aliquid posted:

I've never used Mumble before, how do I join Camping the Stairs? I see every server in the US listed but have no way to search them.

It's in the OP of the CTS thread in private game servers. You can directly connect to it using details from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Some pubbie with 14 service stars in the A7V immediately dies after I circlestrafing it with mines in an artillery truck achieving what a team of idiots couldn't do in 25 minutes.

Hotjumping into games is going to suck away my enjoyment of BF1. :(