Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Psion posted:

a realistic re-enactment of air combat, circa 1915:
https://fat.gfycat.com/ColorlessMarvelousDikkops.webm

Looking forward to battalion wars 3. consider this preordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just release the game right now

https://clips.twitch.tv/byzehg/CrowdedBadgerMVGame

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's about 60 in USD, which is a ton unless they put a lot of content into those packs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

The is the reason I've always been a little skeptical about this game. I can't really see WWI weapons being all that interesting or fun when we're used to games these days giving us futuristic, billion RPM silenced assault rifles and SMGs, .50 cal hand cannons, and ultra high tech full auto FLIR-equipped sniper rifles and other present day or near-future gadgets.

I mean I guess it's cool if you're into steampunk or the whole "this is how real men fought wars" thing WWI had but honestly the guns have been a bit lackluster for me. I haven't played the beta since they unlocked everything though. Maybe that will change my mind a bit.

But one of the guns is the bastard from metro 2033

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vatek posted:

I am still surprised they decided to go with Battlefield 4 (or loving Hardline, for that matter) instead of doing Bad Company 3. Who would have thought that a console port that was capped at 32 players would be one of the best BF games they ever made?

BC2 could do 40 players on PC. It was still way bigger than most shooters, but scaled down very well to a more focused game. I got along with it way better than BF3.

Also BC2 still has the best sound they've ever done. It was unbelievably good when you turned on war tapes

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just saw a streamer playing BF2 online. How is that possible? I thought BF2 and 2142 multiplayer were gone forever after gamespy shut down? Does anyone still play 2142?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

There are fan-run BF2 servers up at https://battlelog.co/ with 2142 integration apparently in the works.

Holy poo poo 2142 is coming on the 23rd. I think my disc is still around. I'm ready. I'm fuckin ready

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnlA2rCHJHY

How is this game already this old

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you played on texas teamplayers basically everyone knew how to use it and it was overpowered as hell, as was the voss (so guess what basically every player on that server ran with as medic).

Being a special snowflake, I used the bauer with the shotgun attachment to be cool and different

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

I've never understood why they've done single player campaigns for these games.

It happened when EA decided the series really needed to compete with call of duty as much as possible, aside from the console battlefields which had campaigns before that point. But those were kind of their own things anyway, due to being unable to support 64 player games on the scale established by 1942

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was maybe going to make one once the 2142 revive servers start processing unlocks and stats correctly so I don't have to co-opt the BF4 thread. But I won't do that if there's going to be a megathread anyway

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That looked great and was a fantastic use of gameplay to present the player as just an ordinary soldier who is almost certainly going to die instead of the superhero that most FPS campaigns make them. Really fit the tone of the war.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

That one German soldier at 8:47 just blankly standing in place with his weapon held loosely at his side. :smith:

Assuming that isn't just some fuckup in the AI

He's slowly wandering backward, and that's not what a default pose would look like at all. It's definitely intentional. That detail really stood out.

The game looks really goddamn unpleasant to play, but I'd rather they present it this way than glorify it the way too many WWII shooters started to with that war.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Letting players host their own servers with broad custom settings is great when the population is big enough for there to be servers with good settings, but yeah for some reason a huge number of players want servers with really dumb poo poo like 1000 tickets instant vehicle respawn, or knife-only. And for whatever reason, these people seem to stay around longer than the ones who just want to play a balanced game.

Battlefield 2142 revive has been fine since they're still working on getting non-revive-hosted servers working, and the revive servers are just 64-player conquest/titan/assault lines servers, but I saw a request on their forums for a knife-only server. People seriously want to go back to a really janky 10-year old game with awful hit detection for knife servers. Who are these people?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Back then I thought knife servers were just a way to easily get the secret knife unlock but apparently people actually liked knife servers for what they were.

Also BF2142's hit detection is fine :colbert:

The hit detection works with guns, but the knife and defibrillator are incredibly awkward to use as weapons. you attack from an inch away at someone who is standing still or prone and somehow don't hit them, then move around from other angles and still don't hit them. After having this happen to me, in the same match I tried to revive someone when an enemy charged around the corner, and I accidentally defibrillated the gently caress out of him from 3 feet away. His body went flying.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is the first BF game I've been interested in since 3 pushed me away from the series, it looks less COD-like from watching streams.

I hope planes start bad and then get patched to be worse. 2142 and bad company 2 were the best for just not having planes at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does BFV have one of those old-fashioned "in-game server browsers"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shows how little I paid attention, that’s good. Battlelog seriously tilted me, although words about it aren’t worth it at this point

Alkydere posted:

Obviously you seem to have forgotten the flying gunships in 2142 that were nigh invulnerable: able to pop shields and escape 95% of the time and often had a "gentleman's agreement" not to shoot each other since they had a hard time actually killing each other if both pilots were moderately skilled.

Also the Blackhawk in BC2 which required a dozen engineers praying for two successful hits with a rocket launcher as its miniguns ripped apart infantry and engineers repaired it forever.

Still better than jets. I hardly ever saw games where these things ruined the game for everybody else the way battlefield 2’s jets did.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

At least idiots on the other team sitting around at base waiting for vehicles to spawn could be killed to annoy them and eat their tickets.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ponzicar posted:

It should be a queue for plane/tank spawning. You play normally as infantry while waiting, then you get the option to redeploy in your vehicle once your turn is up. For extra fun, your position in the queue should be affected by how many points you earn from being a good team player during your wait. Revives, spots, resupplies, repairs, point capturing, etc. Let's make the sky gods work for their chariots.

And then nerf their chariots :twisted:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just watched the ones for the other dogtags and :wtc: DICE

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Didn’t drop ammo for the entire squad screaming for a resupply behind him, then flew a plane. I don’t think we have a sentence severe enough for this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Philman posted:

this thread suddenly has too much hatred for vehicles.

You make a fair point, but have you considered gently caress planes

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

they better be putting these in the new game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fg5nS4cF9s

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Basically 90% of my good experiences with battlefield come from finding the one server in existence that has teamwork players and doesn't have loving idiotic settings like instant vehicle respawn, and I think a big reason I bounced off of battlefield 3 hard is because I never found that server

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leal posted:

Just wait till next game :haw:

:whitewater:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think women should be in battlefield, because it makes nazis mad.

Have more and more women in each game until they release battlefield 2143, in which men have gone extinct.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:laffo:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alkydere posted:

2142: using the anti-air launcher against infantry

I didn't know this was even possible

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alkydere posted:

And you talk about the Hachimoto but not the utter glory that was picking up a bunch of enemy mines and then recreating the scene in Galaxy Quest where Tim Allen goes "AND MY SHIP IS TOWING MINES!"? That sucker was fast enough to outrun the mines, and once they were armed and tracking they had no IFF.

I can't believe what I missed out on

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Goodguy3 posted:

I spawned into a plane today with no loadout, no guns, bombs, nothing. I'm probably lucky it had an engine. :dice:

Tailgunner worked fine though.

This reminds me of a rare thing that would happen in 2142. In that game when you eject from an air transport you're supposed to come out in a pod that will drop you to the ground quickly and keep you from taking fall damage. Rarely, you'll just launch out minus the pod and splat unless you notice it and mash parachute in time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MadBimber posted:

vehicles so far are basically trash in bfv which is just fine with me. we'll see in september if the tanks/planes got a balance pass

Buff the tanks and nerf the planes

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, chuds are saying that its because of the SJW AGENDA that's driving people away from pre orders, but its more likely its because its sandwhiched between some other popular games, or EA has lost so much good will from the Battlefront 2 fiasco that people are wary.

Pretty much. I think this game is going to have a weaker launch than other battlefields no matter how good it ends up being because hell, it’s pretty hard to overstate how much of a mess BF2 was, but morons are still gonna say the reason it sold worse is because there’s a woman on the box art this time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Since you will now be switching weapons but keeping your existing kit, it doesn't really matter anyway. Want to play medic with a DMR? Pick one up.

(this strikes me as a Bad Decision For Balance, but I just play video games, not develop them)

So you can’t switch kits at all after spawning and just get weapons instead? That seems off, kit switching has been a part of battlefield since 1942

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Here's a pretty good jackfrags video as well, including some nice Drilling kills :getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK5vuPeEoX0

Still looks much more COD-like/run and gunny than I was hoping. I hope the open beta feels different.

At least DICE still makes the best sound in the industry. Titanfall 2 is the only thing I've played with sound that comes even close.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DICE you got it backwards

you don’t buff the planes in every build, you nerf them

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The best place to shoot down planes is in the patch notes :twisted:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bad company 2 had the best snipers since you could just charge in with a shotgun instead of a sniper, which ironically comboed way better with the motion balls. Or just put a red dot on your sniper like the T88 and basically play an assault with motion balls instead of ammo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is the beta less busted after the update? I wanted to try it after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My first impression of the beta, is that the spinny V logo actually looks like a pac-man

e: also it crashed when I tabbed back in after writing this important post