Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Monocled Falcon posted:

So is there a clan I need to get in on? I just joined the mumble server but everybody was already in a match and I didn't want to interrupt.
Just add some goons on origin, and then join whatever game they're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I thought the beta version we got to play was fun (especially after the timer was changed), but God Almighty I was tired of Sinai by the end there. I haven't played Battlefield since BF2, so I don't have any recent games to compare it against, but I enjoyed running around and shooting the mans.

I still think there ought to be the option to have a shovel and dig makeshift trenches. Land deforming is clearly a thing the game can do already, just look at all those craters that can be made over the course of a fight.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I just want to be able to wear 1914 uniforms.

If there's no kepi available in the French DLC I don't even know why Dice has bothered with all this.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Delacroix posted:

Also if snipers are camping a rooftop you can use dynamite and take out the floor underneath them. I only wish support got dynamite so they can do rapid house renovations.
That's what artillery is for. By the end of beta, every time we captured D I'd try to get on one of the artillery pieces and just blast apart every roof I could between D and C.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm loving hyped for pigeon mode.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mordja posted:

Unironically, yes. I hope one of the expansions call back to the Secret Weapons one for '42.
Intelligence agencies are reporting of the development of an aircraft that can use any machine gun, without need of a synchronization gear. Agents credit this amazing ability to the aircraft's remarkable new engine:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

MadBimber posted:

is that a loving ww1 jet? what is that
It's the Coandă-1910, a biplane that was supposed to work with a fancy ducted fan. The inventor lived well on into the jet age, and so after jets became a thing, he claimed his 1910 plane actually was an early jet design, and altered some of his old plans to make the engine more jet-y than the original patents suggest.

After the aircraft failed to attract major attention at the time of its creation, the inventor tried to use the same engine for other purposes:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

sarmhan posted:

Not to the same degree, but you'd still be fighting for the aggressor in a horrible war. You'd piss off a lot of Europe.
I think you'll find that the true aggressors were Serbia and its malevolent patron, Russia. :smug:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kepis or bust.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYlD-SSHF4s

Almost a throwback to "hotswapping" from BF2:MC
That one German soldier at 8:47 just blankly standing in place with his weapon held loosely at his side. :smith:

Assuming that isn't just some fuckup in the AI

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Should I buy this dumb game?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Operations is hella fun.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

Hey guys, I'm getting mad in-chill playing with pubbies. I couldn't find any discord info in the op, can anyone shoot it over to me?
In keeping with the old-fashioned spirit of the game, goons themselves are sticking with mumble and the CTS server for BF1.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Pastry Mistakes posted:

My favorite god drat weapon is the AA gun. Ugh, so good.
When you get a field gun with a line of sight on an area where there's enemies though,

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Big guns are best guns imo

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Someone may have tried to report me for blowing the train whistle too hard.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

JFC posted:

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to pick on you, it's just that I keep seeing that same mistake in this thread. It still isn't as annoying to me as people that pronounce Cavalry as "Calvary". Cavalry is soldiers on horses. Calvary is the hill where Christ was crucified. If people are gonna call them calvary they should go all the way and call pasta "pisgetti" and say "out of balance" instead of "out of bounds"... I hated those kids.
In a doggy dog world like ours, those sort of mistakes are a diamond dozen. For all intensive purposes, everybody already excepts calvary as cavalry.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

When are we gonna get previews of the French DLC

Am I gonna get a kepi or not

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

quote:

• Fortress cannons deal greater damage against vehicles and have a bigger lethal radius against infantry.
Do they mean the FK 96 by this? If so, my excitement knows no bounds.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Backhand posted:

I mostly dislike BF1 because I dislike running into meat grinders, getting skullfucked by people who have flawless accuracy and know all the routes around the map, and then either staring at a respawn screen or a sub 1:1 KTD scoreboard for 15 seconds so I can do it all over again.
Aside from "git gud", the other advice worth considering is "play with goons". I am not all that good a player. I got a k:d ratio well below 1 most of the time, I run straight into meatgrinders and die, I'm the dumb guy who sometimes forgets to put on a gas mask. Playing with goons helps mitigate that a fair bit, because then there's someone there to yell at me to correct my poo poo when I start loving up, and teamwork is always OP so that you don't feel like you're sucking so much.

I don't even play all that much most of the time, mostly just for a few rounds of conquest or a single operations set, but that's still easy enough to do with goons.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

soy posted:

If you have a sub 1:1 KDR in this game I am not sure what is wrong with you. Farming pubs in this game is probably the easiest of any BF game since 1942.

:(

e: hee, I still got a higher win percentage and score/min despite a k/d of poo.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 17, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

NonzeroCircle posted:

My niche has become demolishing walls. gently caress my KD, no building shall be left standing, debris kills are always the most satisfying for me.
Best part of Sinai is taking the field gun at D and just leveling as many buildings between D and C as possible before dying/having the field gun destroyed.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Tippis posted:

…and everyone runs around with gatlings and/or one of those 8-barrel contraptions that still lets everyone autofire to their hearts' content.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_gun

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I hadn't played a BF game since BF2, and going from that to this wasn't that bad once I remembered that I spent most of my time in BF2 huddled in a corner, terrified of artillery strikes and snipers.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

See, I like the landship, because the side guns can blow holes in walls with a single shot, and I really enjoy demolishing buildings.

A third of my kills with the field gun don't involve even seeing whoever I killed, I just shoot at buildings until they fall and sometimes people are in them.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

i am kiss u now posted:

tonight: fdklsfkjsd fsdkjlfsdjklf ;lksdfklh;asdflasdf;lkasdfjkl; asdfasdfl jk;asd

Last night: gently caress that one guy in an artillery truck.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

From which store? I only see it as 40% off.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chronojam posted:

We're doing melee only operations tonight, and just conquered Monte Grappa with our bayonets and clubs and shovels. Join up.
it was loving great.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

How can I not suck with tanks? I suck with tanks. I'm bad at paying attention to things and then I die.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

BBJoey posted:

a fun game is to ask people in chat not to swear. some of them get insanely upset by this request it's cool.
Sir, this is a Christian server.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

The next Battlefield will be Battlefront Hardline 2: Vietnam Company
Battlefield Infantry Line: Free Company

18th century battlefields, but everyone is armed with mobile puckle guns and nock guns.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

Behemoths are the greatest source of free points that do nothing to help the curbstomped team actually win except pad their k/d for 5 mins.

Behemoths are great when they're the train and you just lay on the horn for as long as the train is still standing.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Laugh like a what?
You heard him.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

When is there gonna be a 1914 DLC? I am shocked and saddened by the paucity of kepis. I need them and the red pantaloons.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What's a skill cannon? I tried googling it and the first few results either used a bajillion other online FPS terms I don't understand to answer that question, or they were from various forum threads and everybody was just arguing what the best skill cannon is.

Is it just a synonym for "no it's a good gun, really, you just gotta have mlgpro shootmans skill to use it right"?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Follow your teammates and always let them go in first

seriously, "let someone else go first" is an A++ strategy for not dying all the time.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

BF1's mostly notionally set in 1917-18, right? What's the chances of a Russian map where both sides are Russian?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

il serpente cosmico posted:

I played the hell out of this when it came out, but I stepped away from it for a few months because I was getting a little burned out and wanted more content. I jumped into the DLC tonight and tried to get in on a new Operation, but it appears to be completely dead. What is the current status of the PC player base? Should I forget about operations? Did nobody buy the DLC?
The hot action with the DLC is frontlines, not operations. If you want to see a ton of people playing with new things, play the new game mode.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

There's also a chunk of goons who really don't care for conquest, and another chunk that don't care for operations, and basically yeah it's a gamble about who'll be on, how they act and what they want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Nooooooo, I don't have a headset :(
Just a yet mic that pics up all the taint ripping death metal I blast while gunning turkish bastards down.
I have a webcam bought from a flea market hooked up, plus some old headphones. I just tell mumble to pick up audio from the webcam, do push-to-talk and it's all good and ready to go for some hot WWI action, no headset required.