Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I thought zeroing was to offset the scope so it is more accurate based on approx distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I appreciate the extra difficulty involved for snipers (zeroing, bullet-drop, bullet scatter) but I think it still sucks how many guns in the game are 1-hit kill. I'd at least like to have a chance to deal with the sniper that's hiding in a rock 300 meters away. There's some other guns that do too much damage, the cavalry gun kill in 1 hit too. Also, medic weapons need love, no one seems to want to use them and I get revived about once a half-hour. Falling in love with this game, just hoping that when the average skill level rises, it's not just an insta-death party where using certain guns is just not feasible.

Although using canons to counter-snipe is actually pretty easy, I got 2 sniper kills in a row at 300+ meters just aiming above sniper glares

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Feel like I'm alone all the time in the game, found a squad that works together maybe once. I do fine, but teamplay is more exciting to me than just finding a cheesy way to pump up my K:D

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Alan Smithee posted:

I dont know if Im getting old or what but my KD is abysmal. I used to be 1:1 at least on BF3-4 but I can't seem to go head to head with most anyone without dying. One time I killed 2 guys with that primitive sterling that the assault class gets and I'm baffled how I did it. Well by controlled bursts instead spray and pray but you learn that since CS so I don't know what my deal is.
I'm a big believer that turning v-sync off will help aim since it adds a delay between frames that leads to inconsistency in how much your aim moves in-game relative to how much you move your mouse.

Other than that, this game is a lot about repositioning, so take your shots and then change position. Take wider approaches to areas so you don't end up face-to-face with people. Finding a weapon that fits your playstyle probably helps a lot.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Michaellaneous posted:

Every time I play this game, without fail, I get a headache. This happens with literally no other game.
I'd bet this is from the bouncy player movement, and how every time you die the camera swings all over. There's no option to reduce head-bobbing but maybe try turning motion blur off.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

keyframe posted:

Am I the only one who hates the hit detection and suppression mechanic in this game?
I've never noticed the effects of suppression in any way.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

No Butt Stuff posted:

The only way I'm any good at this game is to be support and run around resupplying people. Are there tutorials or "you should know" stuff about the multiplayer?
I don't know any guides, but been playing a lot of support myself. My best tips are to constantly reposition- take shots at players and if you don't kill them, retreat a safe distance or move to a different position and try again. 1v1 will screw you pretty often (even worse if you run into more than 1 person), so constantly try to keep the advantage of surprise. Get used to going prone to save yourself from death- you gain a short forward slide from going prone or crouching while running. Support-specific tips are to put your mortar behind a small obstacle and fire it into crowds :getin: If you see that it did 65 damage, that's a direct hit (to a single person) and you should just fire it again as soon as you see the damage message, to secure the kill. The best perk about support is that you can resupply yourself, so every time you throw a grenade immediately throw yourself a resupply pouch and you will gain another grenade within 15 seconds.

As far as medals go, they seem pretty :dice:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Justin Credible posted:

This game does a lot right but the things it does wrong are EXTREMELY frustrating. Such as the lovely unskippable cutscenes between rounds and the way the map zooms around when you're trying to click on poo poo. Guess what I don't need? A MAP THAT MOVES. gently caress. OFF.
The cutscenes are loading screens and are definitely skippable after loading is done. Also my map never moves??

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Justin Credible posted:

Really? Every time it goes into the spawning map for me it zooms in or out a bit and/or moves left or right, same whenever I'm in the map and the points change. It shifts the whole map around. On PC if that matters.
I've actually tried to zoom or move the map and it doesn't let me. Maybe you are on a lower resolution, so it scales and moves the map around annoyingly.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Looten Plunder posted:

I love all these class/weapon posts that people are making but because I've not levelled anything yet, there not of any use to me. Is there a Reddit thread for weapons/classes that have all this information in one place so I can refer to it when I actually do level up? All I see on that loving subreddit is a bunch of multi-kill gifs.
Not a ton to unlock in this Battlefield, and I'm thankful for that. I was basking in some Bad Company 2 nostalgia the other day, but saw the unlocks screen and felt glad we don't have all that any more. Check this site to compare some guns you might think about buying, just pay attention to fire-rate since it's not so apparent on the layout:

http://symthic.com/bf1-stats

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Bob Wins posted:

So it looks like I might be in the top percentile of medics... https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/profile/pc/Wichaman
Bless your heart. I feel like the medic guns are hard to use, so people don't use medic. I get rezzed about once an hour.

edit: My stats and yours are pretty similar, but I play support. Seems like medic pays out a lot of points, since stats are all similar (I get a bit more kills) except your score/min is about 70% more than mine.

double edit: I'm in top 1% of mortar kills :owned:

triple edit: Sure enough.....

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 4, 2016

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Bob Wins posted:

I have literally only played operations (mostly 64 player) since the game dropped.
Ah, might just be that operations pays out better, I just got a 2.5x score multiplier and 30k points for doing a match. I do enjoy half-lazily playing conquest.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
If you use a controller, it gives you an aim assist, even on the PC. The idea is to level the playing field I guess.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The gas is really effective if you have low HP, because less HP means less time to put on a mask and <20 HP means you better be drat quick.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Finally tried playing with a group, and whenever I do, I can't use any vehicles because the controls are all jumpy and unresponsive. I have a feeling this is from the overlay, but does anyone know a way to fix this bullshit?

edit: I guess I fixed it by alt-tabbing or closing the Origin windows outside the game

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 7, 2016

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Would be nice if I didn't end up with the exact same set of lovely medals after the week ended.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Was in one the other day where attackers won without losing a single battalion.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Symetrique posted:

I get called cancer whenever I fly :(

https://streamable.com/7be4
That dude's face getting smashed open by the wing so seamlessly really speaks to the quality of the engine. Nice work on this one Dice

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Sylink posted:

The BAR is loving too accurate, I'm tired of getting counter snipe by some fucklord running at 200 mph.
lol @ snipers complaining

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Things to nerf:
AA guns
10A Hunter
snipers

thanks in advance

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Sniping definitely sucks. DICE still hasn't learned that 1-hit deaths aren't fun. Shotguns are bad in the same respect. As the playerbase gets more skilled, expect to see everyone move towards sniping since there are no real downsides to high damage and high accuracy. Most players will use shotguns for close range and snipers for any other range. I think overall the gameplay will get worse as the players get better, which is too bad since the game can be so much fun sometimes, but there is no way to respond to a sniper unless you have a sniper friend, and there is literally no chance to stand up against a shotgun at close range unless you are using a shotgun.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
New gamemode idea:

Remove spotting and deathcam, call it either Hardcore or Sniper's Paradise

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Ya support has a nice selection of LMG's, even if not are as overpowered as some of the other classes' gimmick weapons. However, you can lay down prolonged fire and then give yourself ammo- if a plane is annoying me, I'll just put 1 or 2 mags worth of bullets into it and it will certainly gently caress off. You can also kinda deal with snipers at least by suppressing them, dependent on your weapon's accuracy. I used the Benet-Mercie Storm for a long time, but the rate of fire is a little bit slow. Been using the Madsen Trench lately, since it seems like an all-around good weapon. You can of course pick whichever version of a particular weapon that suits your playstyle; if you hipfire a lot, or prefer longer-range use. I try to stay competitive at medium and short ranges.

PS: Please make sure to pick the ammo pouch and throw them out constantly (pubbies are obnoxiously bad at supplying/healing), especially if you see a friendly soldier throw a grenade- give them ammo and they will get a new grenade and surely be thankful for it.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Call Me Charlie posted:

I try that and snipers eat my lunch. Try to suppress them, they headshot you. Try to mortar them, they headshot you. Try to focus on being support, they headshot you.
Please don't give snipers this much credit, they are not headshotting you, they are hitting you anywhere in the body for a guaranteed kill in 1-2 shots.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Those are global messages, I've yet to see a cheater

e: One guy I thought was cheating but turns out he was just using the Vilar Perosa :stonk:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Discord is a nice easy program with a pretty robust set of features where you can put all your servers in one simple colorful place. I'm on the CTS discord, but if most of those guys are gonna be stuck in the old ways, maybe setting up a BF1 discord and making a thread in PGS is the way to go, if anyone wants to take that initiative.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Rookersh posted:

Good, because Battlefield is one of the few FPSes that doesn't fully give a poo poo about your shootmans ability.
Don't forget if you have no skills whatsoever, you can just choose Scout :downsowned:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
For support, the Madsen Trench owns. After reading this thread hearing people complain about support, I racked up some 9:1 K:Ds with it (and, well, probably a bunch of mortars). The hipfire is great and it works at medium range with ADS. Personally don't think I need to use the Storm version which sacrifices that hipfire for 'control' because the thing is pretty accurate at a constant fire. It's pretty great.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Honestly I think AA works just about perfectly, my biggest complaint is that sniper rifles are all overpowered. Either make the damage 50-60 and give a 2x headshot modifier, make them require bipod use, or change all the maps to give more cover. I really shouldn't be able to get killed at close-range with a long-range rifle, since my close-medium range weapon certainly can't kill at long-range. This honestly seems like the thing that will kill the game over time, since people will get better at whoring them. Nerfing shotguns a little bit seems obvious. And buff some of the weaker weapons, if not by damage than by fire-rate or long-range accuracy. Overall, I think it is a pretty balanced game.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yes I too think you should fix the sniper rifles by making them useless at any other engagement range than plinking at people from hills, forcing them into the stereotypical role that everyone hates and that benefits no-one
I'm obviously talking about sniper variants, the game already has infantry variants of rifles. Snipers already do this thing you say, and it requires no accuracy to get a 1-hit kill.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
:allears:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Apparently I have more mortar kills than any other weapon. Once I figured out the rapid fire, it really was easy kills (goddamn satisfying though). Getting smoke is pretty cool. I had a feeling buckshot did too much damage (probably still does) since it actually fires a bunch of projectiles and likely gets too much headshot bonus damage or something. Wish they would just nerf the shotties' damage a bit, they fire fast enough where 2-shots is still an easy enough kill.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Assault: Automatico - fastest gun in the east, Hellreigel - big ol mag and good accuracy, hope you like running out of ammo

Marlow posted:

Where are we migrating to after Camping the Stairs closes? I just joined the dozen or so discord channels, and the new mumble 'chugging the stairs.' Is there any consensus or are we going to cross that bridge on Friday night/Saturday morning?

I tend to think a PGS thread where we just post Origin names with your rank and class might be the easiest thing, I would love an active Discord though

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 16, 2016

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
You guys should really have a link there so I can add this my discord client...... Pretty sure I joined this server and a bunch of others and they weren't active at least specifically for BF1. I don't use Mumble myself

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The game probably doesn't work with the old drivers, hence the forced update.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
If you don't know how to improve, just pick medic and join a squad with the highest level guy you can find, then follow and rez your squadmates. Medic will force you to work on your aim because of the bizarre guns, and you can learn improving placement and movement. There's bound to be a loadout/strategy you can use that requires little accuracy if that's your biggest problem [sniper troll goes here]

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The guys you've rezzed hopefully

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Party Plane Jones posted:

The complete lack of respawning jeeps in BF1 really fucks you over. The gun mount for the non-armored car versions are essentially useless and they both blow up really quickly, but :dice:
You are so open and easily killed in the gun mount that nobody uses it. I got into one behind a rock once and killed 5 people in a row- I was looking at the bf1 stats site and that alone put me in the top 1% for kills with that vehicle :pwn:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

VulgarandStupid posted:

The thing is, your K:D should be higher than 1 or something is wrong. This is because if you kill someone, then die and get revived, your score is now 1-0. If you get another kill and then die again your score is 2-1. Even though you "died" twice, it only counts the deaths you aren't revived from or can't be. So my K:D is like 1.8:1 which isn't horrible but isn't great either.
I dont even understand where getting revived comes into this. In fact, I get revived so rarely that my K:D is negatively affected even though I get tons of kills. It seems the point you made is not only that K:D is somewhat arbitrary, but that having a medic around is much more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The weapons are unbalanced crap