Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Battlefield 1 is every single bad aspect of modern DICE games with a flimsy pseudo-WWI steampunk aesthetic slapped on it. Pass.

Nah it's just most of them and it actually has some good poo poo so maybe it's worth playing. Probably not $130 of worth playing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I love that this time around instead of having a bunch of guns that look different but are the same, they just have a bunch of guns that are actually the same and don't pretend otherwise.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

sarmhan posted:

The different versions are just preset attachment setups.

I'm aware of that, I just think it's really funny.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If you are a squad leader, it is your moral obligation to hold down Q and move your mouse left repeatedly.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Deakul posted:

Does the mouse wheel just make your view turn left or right for anyone else? I can't seem to get it to actually switch between my gear no matter what.

Mouse wheel weapon switching is the domain of scrubs anyway. Learn to use buttons and git gud.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Bob Wins posted:

Can we all take a step back and take a second to think about the best change this game included... Firing no longer reveals you on the mini map, I have been waiting for so long to have a AAA FPS buck this dumb trend it is not even funny.

This, spotting being massively nerfed in general, and footsteps being really loud go a long way toward making this a modern FPS that's actually worth buying.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

What career trick

http://battlefield.com/career

Pretty sure it still works, someone in mumble did it not that long ago.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

ShineDog posted:

So any faction can spawn any ground vehicle. Is that the same for aircraft? Like, britain will always have access to the fokker triplane and thats not a beta thing?

That seems a little weird to me.

Factions sharing guns is kind of.. whatever. I don't love it, but in gameplay terms I don't care because you've still got the dude carrying it who is faction unique. Having quick subconcious recognition of the different silhouettes of vehicles is kind of different, and while I get there were a tiny handful of armoured vehicles in the war, there were a ton of faction unique aircraft, and it would be nice to see the shape of a fokker and go "yep that's a badguy" and carry on, like in every other BF.

Minor thing, I guess.

The full game is even better. I'm pretty sure you can be a black German guy carrying a gun that was made in America and sold to Russia and a pistol that was made in Spain and sold to France.

Faction specific equipment is a concept more suited to an asymmetrical game than a roughly symmetrical one.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

As far as sniping in concerned, it will get better over time. Sniping is fun (and I hate that recon exists at all) but I don't find them actually that threatening. To be honest grab the Gewehr Rifleman and run at points should to shoulder firing flash or spot flares and provide med range support. Has a virtually instant bolt pull, zero deviation and your sight picture stays on target. Plus, no scope glint!

There are two "Gewehr" rifles (because gewehr is the german word for rifle). The Gewehr 1895 is the one you use for close range. It's a Mannlicher, which yes is pronounced man licker, and unlike the 98 it uses a rimmed cartridge, so just go ahead and call it the rimjob.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I also can't figure out how the hell charging actually works. I tried to charge a guy and ended up just shoveling the air like an idiot until he turned around and killed me, while I've had people about a foot away from me one shot me with melee.

You sprint and hit melee while having a weapon with a bayonet equipped. That is 100% of it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Battlefield Won

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I'm now pretty convinced support is actually the best class in the game, mostly because the MG15 suppressive is insanely strong and resupplying nades and AT rifles is extremely good. It's viable all the way from melee to sniper range. I'm fairly sure it will get nerfed. 169 kills in under 2 hours with it.

As far as vehicles, always use light AT grenades. They are almost as strong against infantry, and they do good damage to tanks. A support can keep a squad chucking grenades at a tank and it's actually pretty balanced. The key to taking on vehicles in this game is to use all the resources you have (at rifles, fixed guns, TNT, mines, AT grenades, light AT grenades) and gang up on them. It's not really viable to 1v1 a tank, but 5v5 a squad isn't completely hosed by a tank if they play it smart.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's in the game, but people entering your vehicle through different doors instantly transforms it into different tanks, so it's hard to keep the one you want.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

They are broken, you don't get class XP after the first round. You need to DC/reconnect.

This is definitely not true anymore.

Captain Gordon posted:

Controls questions:

Is there any way to rebind plane controls so that Yaw is on the mouse X axis instead of roll? I can clear the key but moving the mouse left-right during the binding screen doesn't do anything.

Also, can you un-inverse plane controls?

Finally, can you set crouch to toggle rather than hold?

You have always had to edit the config files for this in every BF. It's a pain in the rear end and I haven't bothered for beta.

Yes.

Yes, but don't. Toggle controls are bad, learn to play without them unless you're missing fingers or something.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

GOG is doing a code that is 20% off.

How are you getting 20%?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

They're going to play objective modes specifically because of the objectives. In TDM, people playing to win need to hunt them down. In conquest, the best thing you can do to win is ignore them, which is exactly what they want - a shooting gallery that doesn't fight back is the entire point of sniping.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Monocled Falcon posted:

I'm not understanding Medic guns. The low recoil and damage combined with the high rate of fire suggests they're spamy but I'm not hitting anything that way. I guess maybe the spread added per shot is much higher than the other stats should suggest.

The Cei-Rigotti and M1907 have thoroughly ridiculous amounts of spray. The other two are much better. Also they can 3 shot at any range.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Support is incredibly strong right now but I heard they're going to nerf grenade resupply which would make the class useless (and also make tanks actually as broken as most people think they are).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Inkel posted:

Does anyone know if the early access (play 3 days before release) is only available if you've purchased through Origin?

Probably. You only get it from the gently caress you this game is really $80 version. Basically it costs $27 to actually get the game on the day of release when it probably won't work anyway, fly a red triplane, ride a black horse, and have behemoth skins you will never use because someone else will always spawn in it first. Gaming in 2016 is great.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Chronojam posted:

Does that origin five dollar thing get you dlc access for games also? Because the idea of paying for BF1 with all DLC while also getting all the other EA games with it as a bonus for two and a half years sounds intriguing.

No, it doesn't. Cmon bruh, it's loving EA. If something sounds like you might be getting a good deal, it's a sure sign they're lining up to gently caress you extra hard in the rear end.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

"I keep saying I hate this game and won't buy it and won't stop complaining about stupid poo poo"

*reads the thread religiously*

He's an incredibly obvious and low effort troll and I can't believe people are still falling for this kind of poo poo in 2016.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I assume the experimental springfield is going to be the Pedersen device.

I hope you can slamfire the 1897.

Also it seems like they may really be sticking with the no attachments thing? I'll be very happy if that's the case.

There is a rumor that BF1 will not allow servers with modified ticket counts or spawn times. I'll be super loving happy if that's the case, that poo poo is cancer.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 12, 2016

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The majority of people do not give a gently caress about multiplayer. Most gamers don't post on forums. This is the equivalent of like the truck forums where 500 dudes discuss everything under the sun about the F150 while a hundred million people just dgaf and drive one around every day.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Is that really still true? I know it was at one point for Call of Duty games at least, but buying Battlefield games for singleplayer alone seems crazy. Every DLC for every shooter being solely focused on multiplayer seems like it would be crazy if that's true too.

Yes, it is. As to DLC, it's hard to milk casuals for money, especially because the average gamer generally doesn't even beat the games they buy. Go look at Steam Achievement Stats - for example, Portal 2 which was a very popular game and not very long or particularly hard, only about 2/3 of the people who bought it have played at all, and only about 1/2 of those people have finished the single player - and that's on Steam, where these types of games are selling to more hardcore players than on console. And consoles are still a very hardcore market compared to the casual phone and PC gamers that are the most common.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Most important of all we won't be seeing instant respawn instant vehicle respawn 1000 ticket servers take over the game within a month.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

New Concept Hole posted:

Also they could have made instant respawn servers unranked and done away with those if they wanted to without throwing out all admin options.

Yeah this is really the issue. People congregate on shitfuck servers not because they're fun, but because you get XP/medals/etc fast. Take away that and they would die out no problem.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yes. There's even a scout gadget that lets you sit completely out of line of sight and look at people, so you can be even more useless.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

super macho dude posted:

:smith: after unlocking the MG15 n.A. Suppressor, support was all I played the last few days of the beta. its too bad the infin-grenade glitch will be patched out of the final game, because I loved running between D and C throwing out ammo packs like a mad bastard, chucking incendiary nades into every building, and slaughtering folks with that beast of a gun.

If they do actually patch that nobody will play support. You're better off just killing yourself to get more ammo since it costs you nothing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

So my connect at EA confirmed that the classic ticket system is coming back, but the player score system is staying. Medics rejoice.

That's good, but they really need to tweak the actual ticket numbers per point. In Beta, even if you held every single flag the enemy team would keep scoring, so it was literally impossible to make comebacks in lots of situations. It needs to work on a non-linear scale, where almost even flags results in very little ticket bleed, but holding 0 or 1 flags means you lose in a minute or two. The way it was in Beta you were best off just holding 4-5 flags, because it's very hard to stop backcaps that then flood across the map when you hold every point, so you actually tend to lose your advantage if you're holding 6-7 flags.

re: relaaa - he's a comically obvious cheater. His aimbot is set to lock onto the closest target in his FOV, so you see him constantly snapping to guys that haven't even noticed him after ADSing on the target that a human being would actually kill first.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 18, 2016

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Because when kills mean nothing, the way to win when you're down even 1 flag is to avoid all combat and always go to the least defended flag. Not really conducive to fun.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Wales Grey posted:

So what you're saying is that when you're not winning because the enemy attacked successfully, the way to win in the new system would be to successfully attack them?

No, the way to win would be to avoid attacking them and stand on empty flags a lot. Riveting gameplay.

Doubly true when combined with the fact that attacking uncontested flags gives you enormous points and defending flags gives you dick all.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

When you make the key to winning not fun most people don't play to win, no poo poo? That's all the more reason to make winning be about doing various fun things and not mostly about which team has five guys willing to sit in an armored car all game running around capping flags but running away from any serious opposition. It's exactly what happened in the beta, goons stopped focusing on winning once we realized that doing it consistently involved playing in ways that aren't fun.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

https://cdkeyprices.com/battlefield-1-cd-key

Do any of those look legit cause I'm sure as hell not giving ea $109 AUD

EA has a history of loving people who buy out of region keys. Make sure you get an English region key or you will probably be stuck with the game in Russian and having to download some pack to fix it every time they patch and maybe getting banned. That's the only thing that really matters.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 20, 2016

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Spoilers : it's absolute dogshit.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's still going to be poo poo. Probably some cool cutscenes but the gameplay will not be good and you'll be sick of it by the end of the second level.

Not that it matters but yeah do not let single player in any way influence your decision to buy a non-BC BF game lol.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

DoctorStrangelove posted:

imo the game with the most artistic value is DOOM.

The game with the most artistic value is the shittiest one, because art is what is left in the absence of good gameplay.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You can get the digital deluxe edition for $70 if you buy an AMD code off ebay, or you can just get the base game for $47 from GMG. It's kinda a no brainer - you don't miss out on much and you can avoid supporting EA's incredibly lovely business practices.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Brother is a mad Battlefield fan. Except Hardline as gently caress Hardline.

Has BF1 on preorder, got time off to play and everything.

Broke his arm today, 3-6 weeks recover time. Can't even hold a controller atm.

Totally gutted.

There's a guy on twitch who has no arms and no legs who plays CS just fine. Your brother is a bitch.

(really I just want to see someone try to play one-handed with just one of those 20 button MMO mice)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

In theory, yes. In practice, :dice: may happen.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

MadBimber posted:

supposedly the desert eagle of the old world, but still outclassed by every revolver :rolleyes:

The Desert Eagle is a perfect analogy. The 50 Action Express Desert Eagle is about half the energy of .500 S&W Magnum. It always has been and always will be easier to pack more power into a revolver than a semi-auto. The Mars pistols were extremely impressive and well ahead of their time.

If you aren't choosing your weapons by how cool a piece of engineering they were, you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Why are you hip firing? Or do you mean the iron sights? Those are pretty accurate.

Every single medic gun has ludicrous spread gain fired at max rate and is laser accurate at slightly less. It's this really dumb thing that makes you memorize the fire rate of each one or it's useless beyond close range.