Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Huh, my class unlocks started working all of a sudden now. Either it takes a long time or it was bugged before. :shrug:

Yeah, I think they must have fixed something server side, because I am level 25 and suddenly went up 2 assault ranks within a couple of rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Elos posted:

Anyone know a magic trick to make the vehicle keybinds work? I've changed movement to ESDF, use/enter/exit to T etc. and now every time I hop into a car and try to accelerate I jump out and look like an idiot. It doesn't help that my use key is what puts the gas mask on originally because every time I jump into a vehicle I instantly have the mask on my face.

So the game somehow uses the default binds for vehicles it's kinda ruining the game for me. How in the hell do you gently caress up key binding in tyol 2016?

I remember Ravic/Blackmesatech complaining about this in the alpha. Said it was an issue already back in BF4. I have an issue with mapping 3p view to a mouse button in BF1. Worked fine in BF4.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Deakul posted:

Anyone else not able to connect right now? :negative:

Intermittently today, yes.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I was able to eventually get "online", but there are very few servers in EU. And I saw one server with queue of 70....

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Finally got back in a server (EU).

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've been having a great time, but I really hope they release Scar. I enjoyed it a lot in the Alpha, and I'm worried I'm gonna burn myself out. I'm 15 hours in, and one map is probably gonna get old.

My favourite medic gun is now the Mondragon Marksman. It's fun to outsnipe snipers.

The game is really quite glitchy, but I have faith that the worst ones will be squished. Shadowplay is great for capturing all the little treats.

https://gfycat.com/CarefulInfatuatedEastrussiancoursinghounds

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Now I'm annoyed by how many completely new players there are. I sometimes get on VoIP and give tips, but yesterday, I tried to ask our squad leader to mark some flags, and about five minutes later (maybe when he looked up his push to talk key) he shouted "nobody cares!" :smith:

Psh, guess he means he doesn't care about ranking up and unlocking cooler weapons. :colbert:

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Megasabin posted:

This is a dumb thing to be annoyed by. If you want teamwork play with friends over discord. This is a public beta, and half these people are just going to be figuring out the controls and feel of the game.

I fully understand that. I'm just used to BF4 where I have had good luck teaming up with random people.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wish there was a toggle in BF games that was "Never Be Squad Leader". I just don't want to be in that position where I'm making GBS threads up someones elses session because I'm not setting waypoints or giving orders. But with people dropping in and out of squads, eventually you get promoted to squad leader, and as rare is it may be, some people are then looking to you for direction.

It doesn't help either that setting attack points is a single click of the same key as spotting, so when I'm spotting I'm constantly ping-ponging the waypoint around the map as my cursor inevitably drifts over a capture point while I was trying to spot someone.

A step backwards from BF4. There you can set it so that you only set orders through the commo rose. Also, if you request an order and the squad leader does not respond with an order, after a while, you are automatically promoted to squad leader. And that is a real points piñata.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Vatek posted:

The lack of aim toggle disappoints me.

You mean click-to-aim? That is definitely an option.

Sorry, K8.0.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Vatek posted:

Is it? Weird. I found the crouch toggle easily enough but I completely missed the aim one, I guess.

All the options are buried away it seems.

Options > Gameplay > Advanced > Weapon Zoom > Click.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Now I'm annoyed by how many completely new players there are. I sometimes get on VoIP and give tips, but yesterday, I tried to ask our squad leader to mark some flags, and about five minutes later (maybe when he looked up his push to talk key) he shouted "nobody cares!" :smith:

Psh, guess he means he doesn't care about ranking up and unlocking cooler weapons. :colbert:

As a counterpoint, I was playing with my friend today, and because we were just gonna play "a round or two", we didn't bother firing up teamspeak - but we would use ingame VoIP here and there. We had a super cool squad leader who would occasionally chip in on VoIP, mark flags, revive like a boss, and was just generally a cool dude. One other guy wasn't really communicating, but was obviously listening in and responding. And our squad was beasting it (and our couple of quick rounds became many, many rounds and a lot of laughs). That's one big reason why I play BF.

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Is anyone else finding the attack plane better than the fighter at shooting down other planes? It just seems to do more damage.

I dunno, I'm no great pilot, and never even tried the fighter plane for the longest time, but it suddenly felt like cheat mode. So nimble and quick. Being able to get behind practically any other plane is better than superior firepower.

Of course in the attack plane, I did this with the tank hunter cannon shell...

https://gfycat.com/IdioticNervousFairyfly

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The british responses in this are so goooood.

I'm sure a player said "ay up, mate" in a Yorkshire accent when he spawned on me.

Shadowplay is such great fun - I set it to record the last 1 minute, then when something cool happens, I just press a key combination.

Unrelated, can you unlock the weapons now? I unlocked them through https://www.battlefield.com/career, but I think they fixed the glitch now.
You need the AT gun. This took me a while to realise it was a quad: https://gfycat.com/ValidAccurateGalapagospenguin

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Randler posted:

Edit: Also "Make Squads with friends private by default" is still a tremendously stupid idea.

My friend joined on me and it pulled me into a squad with just him, and it wasn't private. Is it just if you are in a party?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Cavalry gets a health boost too, though I think it's a much smaller one, made up for by the fact that your horse has its own health bar.

I think it's still a pretty high health boost...

https://gfycat.com/WelldocumentedGlisteningKob

Luckily a team mate clubbed him to death after these... distraction shots.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

afkmacro posted:

There is an emblem editor in the battle log replacement companion app horseshit. It was just locked during beta. The emblem goes on the side of your weapons where the nation flags currently are displayed in white.

I was hoping there wouldn't be. It's gonna ruin the aesthetics of the game to have Sonic the Hedgehog fanart on the sides of tanks.

As was mentioned in the other thread, Cosby was the emblem used for a long time before the allegations came out. I probably played many weeks after the accusations, not even remembering I had the emblem still. I only changed it after a friend remarked on it.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Loaded up BF4. Felt like easy mode. I'm so used to the gunplay and movement after over 1000 hours. I guess I had the same feeling going back and playing BF3 during the first few months of BF3 though.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think if you have the code you can even put the game up in your Origin account.

I had trouble getting the game to work a few years ago, so a support dude added the Deluxe version to my Origin account.

404notfound posted:

FYI there's a survey about the beta: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9YFYK3Y

Rush:

quote:

I understood that artillery targets only spotted enemies.
That was not made clear at all. The whole artillery thing in rush was not explained well at all.

I gave a ton of feedback. I hope they really do take it into account.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Inkel posted:

I had no idea there was an artillery feature or even have to use it.

I set the mcom to call in artillery a few times as a defender, but it didn't seem to do anything. And as an attacker, I never noticed getting shelled on... so I did wonder if it's just a spotting mechanism.

Gonkish posted:

Train: Is a train. Kinda seems mostly an annoyance, and is easily avoided. Deadly as gently caress, but can only really affect three points and is easy enough to hide from. Mobile spawn usage is nice but not as effective as the zeppelin.

Mobile spawn? If I didn't get a seat when it spawned, it was constantly full. Nobody was using it as a spawn point it seemed, just wanted to shoot big bang bangs.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah pre-ordering makes exactly no sense.

I guess if you really want to play the game three days earlier than most.

GreatGreen posted:

I've never understood why they've done single player campaigns for these games.

I'm sure I read something that said DICE released stats that a ton of people who bought BF4 never touched the multiplayer...

I actually enjoyed the BF3 co-op missions, playing with a friend.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Going by the YouTube name, I was maybe on a Lockers server with this guy and he went like 400-50. In very suspicious circumstances. This video looks a bit suspect, too...

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Chronojam posted:

please stop letting players spawn on the corpses of people I've got in a melee takedown.

You can melee from the AA?? :aaa:

:clint:

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Hey, nerds, just a heads up: The game is 22% off on Green Man Gaming right now if you have an account. Up from 12% just recently. I suggest you grab it now because I wouldn't feel comfortable holding out for 25%.

Tempted, and I do trust GMG. But if there are problems, from what I hear, Origin support is a lot better... I have pre-ordered games through GMG, and it is always so annoying waiting for the keys to finally be released... Always rumours that there are problems getting keys on release day, etc.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Official system requirements:

quote:

MINIMUM SPECS

Processor (AMD): AMD FX-6350
Processor (Intel): Core i5 6600K
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ HD 7850 2GB
Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce® GTX 660 2GB
DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
Hard-drive space: 50GB

RECOMMENDED SPECS

Processor (AMD): AMD FX 8350 Wraith
Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 4790 or equivalent
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ RX 480 4GB
Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB
DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
Available Disk Space: 50GB

Pretty beefy minimum specs on the CPU/RAM. Maybe some of the other maps are more punishing. People are laughing at the AMD equivalent, but apparently BF1 can use the extra cores. I can't even remember if I have hyperthreading enabled currently on my 17 2600k@4.4GHz. I wonder if it could actually take advantage now.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Pulled the trigger on my preorder. GMG still had it for 20% off (for existing members).

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Delacroix posted:

Did anyone manage to roadkill teammates by ghostriding jeeps into them? I never thought to try during the beta.

Only the double ghosting works (same as in BF4). You need two jeeps. Park one jeep behind your recon, then ram that jeep with another.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

MadBimber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyx8w8vLT-o

Video covering creative tools. Pretty impressive feature set, especially for console usage.

Ha, love the BF3 filter. :D

EDIT: Berdu showing off his skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtUw1yLbU7c&t=157s

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 6, 2016

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

the guy playing is really, really good

Plus the sound and quality of the video is amazing.

I noped out pretty quickly. Why spoil it for myself, when I'm actually interested in playing the single player campaign for once.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

On a whim, I checked my GMG account - regular key was there. Only got the email notification later. Euro goon here.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Krinkle posted:

I fire one bullet into one rear end and they all turn and look and as the realization that this fresh recruit, who canonically did NOT choose to put his weapon into single fire mode and die, never-the-less has inherited his weapon without checking the settings, but in the moment I forgot that V was the key that selects firing modes and in desperation to find it I put on a gas mask and grenade myself.

Haha, I laughed way too hard at this. Tinged with memories, it was.

In BF4, I would leave vehicles too easily, so I changed enter/exit vehicle from E to T. Now I keep jumping out of a vehicle and I have put my gas mask on for no reason.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

It really took me a while to get used to mag dumping to be able to do anything with support weapons. Some of the movement seems a bit clunky to me. Throwing med packs and jumping, or basically doing anything after throwing a nade.

In case anyone cares, I have a five-year-old i7 2600k@4.4GHz, 16GB slow RAM, an overclocked GTX970, and I get 1080p 90-100 on high settings. I actually dropped some to medium or even low, because I want the frames for my 144Hz G-SYNC monitor, so I get pretty consistently 100-110 FPS.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I do find the medal system aggravating, but I guess it does kind of feel like an achievement when you get one. For a change, I went for the sniping one. I am terrible with sniper rifles, but I went on a tear on Amiens and got the back half of the medal done there. Ended up top of my team (we lost by 20 tickets), just by trying to be at least a little aggressive.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

goodness posted:

Wait, I thought the medal's steps had to be done in order. You can't get the 3 melee kills in 1 life without getting 5 in a round before it.

I did do them in order? 20 kills, 10 head shots, then 5 in one life (I think I went on a 9-10 kill streak). Over two rounds.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

goodness posted:

The way you worded it "got the back half of the medal done" without saying you did the first part already was confusing

Ah, sorry. I just meant I got the remaining parts done on Amiens.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Why can't I exit to the main menu in the game ending screen?

Sometimes if you hold Esc, the Quit button shows up again.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Looten Plunder posted:

-There are no microphone options in the menus apart from a keybind. How can I test my mic? How do I even know anyone can hear me.

It might be on the scoreboard that you can see a little speaker when you are transmitting. But, yeah. It's not amazing. I still use it to get ammo and revives from random squad mates, and occasionally someone talks back, so it does seem to work.

For medic, I push quite hard, but hang back very slightly as I gas nade the objective then pick people off with the mondragon.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Zzulu posted:

The horses are garbage, what is even the point of them

You hop on a horse and your profile becomes huge and the entire map tries to shoot you while you flail your stupid sword at people and miss 70% of the time

I always get stuck on random crap. I went to a ridge edge and thought I'd just get the horse to jump down. But it wouldn't. Then it would not reverse, so I was totally stuck.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

spiralbrain posted:

I've seen this issue where I am playing support and for some reason I cant fire. It will act like its jammed. I saw this the other night with the Benet-Mercie Storm. Anyone else seen this?

Is it just after throwing a grenade? Because that's a well-known bug.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Garfu posted:

The 40 person ops are ALWAYS populated.

This is my experience, too. But in the EU. He is talking about Australia (I think).

About Suez: Maybe that is why they are adding two new flags to that map.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Lucked into a pubbie squad where we actually worked together in the land ship, and it.... was fun and we did well? I was barking out orders and observations over VoIP and we were actually co-ordinated. Strange experience, and instantly triples the enjoyment of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I play 40p operations in the EU and have seen the attackers win or get close to the end of the second map many times. 64p is just too spammy. Probably most people use it as TDM where the enemies are funnelled in on a plate.