Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I just got my open beta invite suck it losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Had to google K bullets when I picked scout, found that they're anti-materiel rounds, and proceeded to ruin a car's day, netting a 2x multikill in the process :feelsgood:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Played scout for a while. The periscope is great for long-range support if you're a lovely sniper like me. Still can't figure out how the flare gun works. I think it's only supposed to show blips on your minimap, but do they have to have LOS to the flare or is it just radius-based? Hasn't seemed very helpful so far.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Delacroix posted:

It's like a wizball in all respects, I steal kits and fire them into houses to light up enemies through walls constantly. There's a second variant which "blinds" insomuch it adds lots of bloom in a small area.

... Ah, hell, I think the reason it hasn't worked very well for me is because I've been firing it way up into the air like you normally do with a flare gun :downsgun:

I guess I'll try shooting it at the enemy next time.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dezztroy posted:

Heavy armor is best used on horseback.

god drat, this is no loving joke

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

As a medic, I just try running to the skull icons and reviving the body. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes there's no body at all, just a weapon kit.

What does it even look like if somebody asks for a revive? I don't think it's happened a single team to me yet.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think I'm gonna stick to modern NATO letters for objectives. This duff and butter stuff just sounds wrong after so many years of having alpha and bravo drilled into my head.

Fun fact: when I was playing BF2 and before I knew NATO, I thought the Hotel squad was for people who liked to attack/defend the hotel in Karkand :downs:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Have they said if progress from the beta will carry over? What did the past game betas do?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I forgot how frustrating it is being the only one playing the objective when the rest of your team is dying on top of the hot spots (C and D in this case). Constantly getting backcapped and being the only one to try and address it makes me sad.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Heavy armor won't protect you from a bayonet charge :black101:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

If you set a trip mine and the wire attaches to a door, and you open the door, you can set off your mine. Ask how I found out :downs:

Also, the incendiary one seems way better than the explosive one. Explosive only does about 80 damage per mine, but the incendiary is enough to kill a guy if they don't seek out a medkit in the few seconds before burning to death. Plus if they shoot it to detonate it, the fire still denies that area until it clears.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Xaris posted:

Could you explain how trip mines work and ideally placing them with that in mind?

Since it seems like opening a wired door can trigger even your own mines, that seems like a good way to set a trap

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

GreatGreen posted:

Does this game not recognize mouse thumb buttons? I can't seem to bind melee or grenades to either one of the side buttons on my mouse.

Yeah, I had that problem too. Fortunately my G602 has six thumb buttons and I have two of them set to home/end, so I'm using those. Hopefully it'll be fixed for release, because trying to throw a grenade and then accidentally putting on your gas mask or bayonet charging is the worst.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking of repairs, I found out that the repair tool actually works on the train. Choo choo, motherfuckers :black101:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Still waiting for Battlefield 2143 :sigh:

Edit: Also, Bad Company 1 menu song still owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4uWbhTXTHg

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So was there ever an official word on whether the gun variants was a beta-only thing? Adding components like optics and grips, which is going to be in release, seems like it would make that feature redundant.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

FYI there's a survey about the beta: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9YFYK3Y

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gonkish posted:

Scout: SNIPERS BRO. SNIPERS. 360 NO SCOPE HEADSHOT BRO. LOOK AT MY KDR BRO. I'M SO SICK. THIS IS SOME ENEMY AT THE GATES poo poo BRO. I AM SO BADASS. EVERYONE LOVES ME. WHAT IS OBJECTIVES BRO? LOL THAT'S GAY BRO THAT'S GAY LOOK AT MY KDR BRO. The unscoped K98 is cool, K bullets are decent for annoying vehicles, flare gun stuff seems wildly inconsistent and mostly unexplained.

Scout could be good for urban settings or anything with a lot of cover, since the flare gun will mark through walls. But the problem is it only does minimap markers, not the overhead markers or the 3D marking (why does this game have three different ways to spot enemies?), and you only get two of them, and even when unscoped, a bolt-action is not great for close-range engagements.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Mobile spawn? If I didn't get a seat when it spawned, it was constantly full. Nobody was using it as a spawn point it seemed, just wanted to shoot big bang bangs.

Can confirm, when my team is losing badly enough that we get the train, I see it as a consolation prize to just sit in there for the rest of the match and blow dudes up. If they wanted it to be a mobile spawn, they shouldn't have given every seat a sweet gun

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

More single-player info here: https://www.battlefield.com/news/article/the-single-player-of-battlefield-1

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Even more info here: https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/singleplayer

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The AI was really buggy, such that some people think it might be unfinished code. Only new weapon is a four shot shot pistol.

Speaking of weapons, I've been watching Westworld, and one of the characters has this sweet loving revolver that has a shotgun shell alternate fire.

Here's a guy shooting a regular cartridge and then the shotgun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5M-QQIOc5k&t=396s

:dice: please

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I canceled my preorder, signed up for Origin Access, and re-preordered for a few bucks less, with the added bonus of being able to start on the 13th instead of the 18th.

I'm not sure how it works though. In Origin it still says my preload date is the 14th. Does it just magically become available on the 13th when the Play First Trial begins? And what time on the 13th does that start?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Deakul posted:

So mental to drop $5 and then cancel when you're done. :popeye:

(probably keeping it cause there are cool and good games included in their library)

Yeah, I didn't care about the Origin Access stuff because loving :lol: at the same company who came up with DLC season passes trying to squeeze even more money out of us, but it actually seems like it's... a good deal? :psyduck:

It's five bucks a month and they recently announced that they'll be adding Battlefront to the program, which is actually pretty great if you didn't already have it. Might be worth hanging onto.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

MadBimber posted:

edit: lmao holy poo poo, skip to 07:43 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLwcLxW79hU

I need this

I NEED IT

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Played a little bit of the support class. I don't know why they changed the loadouts from the open beta, but the support starts with the mortar instead of tripwire mines, and it owns bones. You get a shell's-eye view as the mortar comes down and explodes, so it's even good for quick reconnaissance to see where snipers might be roosting.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Lugaloco posted:

So how do I spend my Warbonds? I've got like 1000 but I don't see where the hell I can spend them. I go into the unlocks page and there's no option there either.

You have to do it in-game from the customize tab in the bottom left, next to squad selection

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Wrapped up my 10 hours today. Got to rank 18, support rank 7 or 8, medic 1. Even though I played support the most, I think I prefer the medic's semi-auto rifles. Thank god they revised the revive mechanic--it's now much easier to see who needs a revive and how long you have to get to them.

Support stuff: mortar is cool but the HE one doesn't seem worth it given its much smaller blast radius. I kept the limpet charge on my CQB loadout, but I hardly ever found a good reason to use it. I'm generally swapping between the trench BAR and the suppressive MG15 depending on the range I'm expecting to fight at, though the problem with providing suppressing fire is always that there's another sniper who will pick you off, or the guy you're shooting at will snipe right through your suppression. Meh.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

MrYenko posted:

Once you get the mortar out, can you put it away, or am I just retarded?

I don't think so, I think you just have to reload a new one.

Oh! One more thing I learned about support: grenade reload is no longer instant, but you don't have to sit and wait on top of an ammo bag either. Once you pick it up, you'll get your grenades back in a few seconds. For a while I was finding a corner where I could sit on top of my ammo until I got my grenades back, but it's totally unnecessary.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Randomly remembered: I also ranked up to cavalry level 1 during the trial. Anybody know what cavalry levels do? I don't think they're customizable the way other classes or vehicles are. Maybe more horse skins?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Lugaloco posted:

It should be unlocking in like 2 minutes globally I think?

Unlock time appears to be based on local time, since I've seen people talking about using an Australian VPN to get into the game earlier today. For what it's worth, here in PDT, it says it's unlocking at 9 pm PDT (in six hours exactly)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

s1ppycup posted:

You pretty much can't go wrong with just about any of the medic guns (except, apparently, the rank 10 one somehow).

The rank 10 support gun is garbage too. The Huot seems almost identical to the starting Lewis, except with about half the magazine size.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

http://symthic.com/bf1-compare?Huot_Automatic_Low_Weight_vs_Lewis_Gun_Low_Weight

I really don't get this. The Lewis Low Weight is the starter weapon and the Huot is the rank 10 weapon. They're almost identical, except the Lewis has a 47-round magazine versus the Huot's 26.

Am I missing something, or is the hardest support weapon to get worse than the starter weapon in every way?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Beet Wagon posted:

Well that makes me excited for Friday when it finally unlocks for me :smith:

game is good

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Raskolnikov posted:

Oh good, rampant cheating. How is DICE at dealing with this kind of thing?
Checkpoint Butter is always so hard to hold.

I want to know why they call it butter / apples etc.

It's the old, old version of the NATO alphabet. Apples -> Alpha, Butter -> Bravo, etc.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Super 3 posted:

I unlocked a few 'special' guns via the battlepacks but only one of them is actually showing up for the class it matches, anyone have this happen?

The battlepack unlocks are just skins. You still need to unlock weapons with warbonds.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What magnification level do you guys use the telescopic BAR at? And is it still good enough at hip fire to use while gassing all the things?

Also trying to decide between the 1895 trench and infantry for scout, or maybe I'll give the semi-auto M1903 a shot. Although my motivation to play scout has gone way down now that I've finally unlocked the Kolibri.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I like to pick a sidearm to complement my primary. If it's a medic self-loader, then I'll go with something that can dump ammo faster. If I'm already using an SMG or LMG, then something that packs a punch like the Bulldog.

Alternatively, Kolibri all day every day until I get the mastery dog tag for it

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I generally don't like sniping, so I feel like I shouldn't like the Martini-Henry... but I do. Oh, do I ever.

At one point I took down four guys taking potshots with me, one after the other, one shot each. That OHK sweet spot is huuuuuge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

God dammit, I was having an amazing streak in the blimp on Monte Grappa when my game locked up and I had to kill the process. This seems to happen a lot for me. Does anyone else get frequent crashes?