Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fre: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

"That was great, wasn't it?" Hearing her question, I turn to look at Karissa's smiling face. Around us, children swarm out of the theater, chased by their parents; Super Rainbow Scouts isn't exactly adult fare, but it's a series she loved since she was a child (more than a few times we watched it together after school), and she was ecstatic when it was announced that they were reviving it for modern audiences so I agreed to attend the premiere with her.

I smile. "It was good, yeah." It's not a lie, either; while a bit more... Saccharine than what I usually watch nowadays, they did a good job bringing a series that's older than either of us back. Other than the considerably prettier art and better effects, it could have been another (considerably longer) episode from the ones we watched over ten years ago. Besides, it's nice to just have a slow day sometimes.

We're discussing where to go for lunch when my communicator alerts me. Holding a hand up to Karissa to ask her to wait, I bring the device to my ear, just in time to hear Eris's message from the beginning. I scowl a bit; does she have to be so rude about it? She's not even that much higher rank than I am. Lack of politeness aside, though, her message is important; sighing, I look back to Karissa. "Sorry, I have to run," I say. "There's an emergency, and-"

"It's fine. We can always meet up later," she says, smiling. "I'll see if you make the news while I wait!" I nod, giving her a wave as I open a gate beneath my feet and drop through. Time to get to work.

---

I'm on top of a building, overlooking the scene, when the pillar of light erupts several blocks over. Opening another portal, I relocate in time to see the "angel" ascending above its worshipers. That's bad; the damage the Broken Thing's rampage caused is bad enough, but they could make things so much worse.

Fortunately, while this particular manifestation is new, this sort of situation isn't unprecedented; "lesser" corruptions taking the form and following the will of a more powerful one is one of the main outcomes when multiple people are corrupted at once. Generally, the "minions" are weaker and less sophisticated, though they can still manage unpleasant surprises at times. Fortunately, they're also possible to save; less-thorough Broken corruption has been reversed in the past. The reporter, though...

Turning my mind back to the task at hand, I scan the area. Plenty of the TV-heads, but no civilians just out in the open; probably wise of them, but it makes this a bit more difficult. If there were some I could see (and who weren't buried in rubble) I could just open a portal beneath their feet and drop them into a shelter, but instead it looks like we'll need to find them first. Looking around, I search for survivors, looking for signs of where they might be and potential dangers to them, while keeping an eye on the floating Hybrid; if she just keeps hovering and spouting nonsense, then that's one thing, but she could turn aggressive at any moment. She needs to be watched.

Down below, meanwhile, the others have begun to act. Kouzai's already freed several people from the rubble. "Good job, Ankensatsu," I reply over the communicator, affirming his message and keeping watch from above. Being the leader is still somewhat odd to me. It makes sense, though; my powers give me unique ability to organize and apply the team. Additionally, my allies' temperaments can be a bit... Unsuited to command, at times.

My leadership is immediately tested when Nameless and Beta speak over the communicators. Taking a moment to collect my thoughts, I reply. "Our priority is to rescue the civilians, yes; not only do we want to limit casualties, but anyone who falls to them may well join their ranks. If she moves to attack then we'll deal with her, but otherwise our immediate goal is saving anyone in danger." I don't reject Nameless's request outright; besides wanting to handle this diplomatically, fighting her may indeed be necessary shortly.

"Save anyone else in the immediate area right now; I'll have orders shortly. If you have to engage her minions, try to capture or disable them rather than killing them." The TV-heads are theoretically savable too, so I'd rather they not die. I'm not sure if everyone would agree with that choice; my mother probably wouldn't go out of her way to kill them (and admittedly could likely deal with them easily), but I doubt she'd hesitate if she deemed it necessary. Considering things further, and remembering the incident in the Crystal District, I add, "...But, again, our priority is saving the trapped civilians." While I'd like to save the corrupted people as well, they only might be fixable, while those who haven't been corrupted will survive as long as we can get them out of here. If a choice between one or the other arises...

Well, hopefully it doesn't come to that.

<Roland_Jones> Been reading the files.
!r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Roland_Jones, 8+2 = 10
<Roland_Jones> BAm/
Oh, and, hm.
Assess the situation.
!r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Roland_Jones, 9+2 = 11

Assess + Be mindful questions: What here is the biggest threat, what here is in the greatest danger, and how can we best end this quickly? Asking with the goal of saving the civilians, so while the Seraphim is obviously the most powerful enemy, she may not be targeting the people we're rescuing (or doing anything besides rambling), so the first question still feels worth asking.

Files question: Have any fully corrupted individuals, like poor Susan there, ever been fixed, or are they universally doomed?

No orders for the team just yet because of the questions. Can provide them after getting answers though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looking over the situation, I see the Hybrids are going for us, not for the civilians. That's to our benefit, actually; we're considerably better equipped to deal with them and survive. If we can deal with them before their attention shifts, then that will make our job considerably easier. The issue is dealing with them quickly enough; the fires are still burning in the area, among other threats to the remaining civilians in the area besides the corrupted people. If we take too long then people will die regardless of the Hybrids.

Turning my gaze back down, I see my allies' efforts to help the civilians are already in progress. "Yes, good work, both of you," I say. "Keep them occupied, don't let them harm anyone. I'll support you from here. Nameless, I-" I begin, before seeing him leap into the air for the reporter already. Well, that's about what I was going to tell him to do, but him acting like that is still somewhat frustrating. Now's not the time for a lecture though; as he's bringing her down, Eleos goes in for the attack too. However, he's exposing himself to attack from the corrupted people on the ground, deliberately not attacking them. Because of my command to not kill them, probably. Well, I appreciate him following my orders, even as it puts him in danger. Now it's time for me to support my team back.

As the horde descends upon Eleos, I focus, bringing my own powers to bear. Black holes in reality open among, ahead of, and around his assailants, blocking their paths forward and disrupting their assault. Some run through holes that open ahead of them and exit others that lead them directly into their allies. Others fall through gaps that open beneath them and tumble out into empty air, falling onto other TV-heads, or trip over the gaps and into each other. Even the ones that don't go through a portal have their attack interrupted, as I open gates between the crowd and Eleos so that they have to change their path; whether they're intercepted or merely redirected, it still keeps them away from him.

As I work to prevent the mob from reaching Eleos and sow discord in their ranks, I speak over the communicator. "Bringing down the corrupted reporter is the best way to limit damage here, and may also disable her minions. We need to incapacitate her as quickly as possible, before she can infect anyone else." I look down over the scene as I work, focusing on keeping the attackers from reaching my allies as they work to protect the civilians and bring the leader down. Now it's just a matter of stopping her, preferably without killing her.

<Roland_Jones> Defending Eleos
!r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Roland_Jones, 7+2 = 9

If someone's willing to spend Team to help, it'd be appreciated (and probably be used to get us a point of Team back while avoiding the bad effects of the partial hit). Otherwise, Noriko's exposing herself to danger by focusing on what's happening on the ground and not up where she is or something.

Also, Eleos would have marked potential for that missed roll earlier.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 2, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I sigh in relief as the survivors are filing out, projected from the Hybrids and the environmental dangers. We'll still need to search the area for people trapped or otherwise unable to get out on their own, but so many people getting to safety is a good start; I think we may have gotten the majority of the people still here out already.

Looking back to the victims that can't merely be evacuated, meanwhile... The lesser Hybrids seem to be contained, with Kouzai seemingly knocking them out; it's hard to follow his actions, but there aren't any erupting fountains of blood or anything so I'm pretty sure those are nonlethal blows. The reporter, though, took a lot of damage (as did Nameless; I really hope he's not seriously hurt) and seems to be close to death. While I would hope the others remember my instructions, and Beta already seems to be acting upon them, I feel the need to reiterate them anyway. "Good work everyone; most of the civilians are out and the threats neutralized. Now we just need to deal with the 'angel'. Remember, we want her alive, though preferably unconscious other otherwise unable to use those psychic powers.

"Nameless, Eleos, are you two alright? I can get you out of there if you need assistance," I add, watching the two; besides the impact from Nameless's attack, there was that psychic emanation she released. Those two were closer to her than the rest of us, and even I felt it at my distance. That could have been even worse than the physical damage for them.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 3, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

"What are you doing?!"

I drop through a portal next to the others; I had been moving to attempt to stop Nameless from killing the Hybrid, but Ankensatsu had already moved her (it is hard to act faster than a person with super speed) so instead I simply move to join them from my vantage point. "Nameless, I said not to kill her. I-" I pause, taking a second and leveling my voice. "There may be other civilians still trapped in buildings around here. You and Eleos go search for any and get them to safety." This order is partially to get him away in case his emotions overcome him again, but, those two actually are probably the best to have perform a search-and-rescue here; Nameless's telepathy and their shared strength will make finding and freeing any remaining survivors a simple matter, in theory. "Keep an eye out for any of the purple liquid the Broken Thing spread in its rampage; it's not only still a threat that could corrupt more people, but it could potentially contaminate local resources and cause issues for the area, if not the entire Zone, if not contained."

I take a look at Beta, contemplating saying something about his attacking Nameless; while it was to protect the Hybrid and clearly didn't hurt him, attacking a teammate still... Isn't ideal. I don't know, I'll have to think about what to say myself.

Later, though. He'll listen to me now or when we're back at base, and right now, the reporter is dying. I look at her broken body, raising my hand to my earpiece and connecting to official League channels. "This is Noriko Ametsuchi, reporting from Ancient Metropolis. We've successfully subdued a hybrid outbreak in the area and have captured them alive. However, some, including reporter Susan Bellemere, have been grievously injured and will die without immediate medical attention; I can create a gate between here and Shining Shield for immediate transport, so I'm requesting a team to assist with treatment and containment while the subjects are still unconscious." I await a response, hoping that it's in the affirmative; while I would believe that the science teams would be ecstatic to have multiple live specimens for their research into curing Hybridization, there's still the chance that they may share Nameless's attitude, or simply think that the effort of saving one isn't worth it when so many others are available.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fre: 0 | Dan: -2 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions:

I nod (out of habit, since the woman on the other end can't actually see me) and talk with her, coordinating as I open the portals to move the hybrids through, as carefully as I can, while informing her of everything I can think of. "...And the winged hybrid, Susan Bellemere, emitted some sort of psychic wave earlier when she was brought down; I don't know if it's something she can repeat, but the team should be prepared in case she wakes up." Eventually, I get all of them through and close the last gate, sighing and looking around. The others helped finish up the last of the issue, and now people are swarming around, including the press.

...Who happen to be talking with Beta, who just gave some answers that really don't sound good.

I hurry over to where he's talking with the reporter. "What Beta means to say," I say, interjecting myself into the interview, "Is that there were some disagreements about the best way to proceed; our priority was, of course, to save the civilians trapped in the area, but ideally we also wanted to bring the hybrids in alive as well; there are League projects to reverse corruption caused by exposure to Broken Things, so we could potentially save not only the victims here today, but people down the line as well through research in this field. Some of our members were concerned that we would be unable to adequately protect the civilians without using lethal force against the corrupted, but fortunately, they focused their attacks on us rather than the bystanders, and we were able to neutralize the threat without unnecessary casualties or putting innocents in harm's way."

As I step back from helping smooth things over, another reporter begins asking me questions, as well as causing me to inwardly cringe; my lack of a self-chosen hero name has led to multiple people referring to me with names of their own creation instead, none of which I'm particularly fond of. While one's hero name is an important part of the image one presents and the sort of symbol they wish to be, getting these other names to stop is admittedly one of my biggest motivations to come up with my own soon.

Turning to the new reporter, I begin answering the questions aimed at me. "Well, the mission was originally merely to evacuate people trapped in the wake of the Broken Thing's rampage; at the time, the hybrids had not emerged," I explain, not calling the mission "Cleanup Duty" the way it was assigned to us; besides being, in my opinion, a name that's in rather poor taste, calling the saving of lives by such on television would look horrible. "However, I do not think that what this mission became was too much for us at all; to me, the ranking of our team members is merely a reflection of how recent our joining the League and forming the group is, rather than our ability.

"I believe that every member of this team is a capable hero, and I am proud to be their leader. It has been an interesting and at times challenging task so far, compared to my solo work, but the effort is well worth it, and I hope to be the leader that this team deserves."

Roland_Jones Being interviewed:
Roland_Jones !roll 2d6+2
Krysmbot Roland_Jones, 8+2 = 10

Roland_Jones Oh, right, missed the unleash. Let's do that too.
Roland_Jones !roll 2d6+1
Krysmbot Roland_Jones, 2+1 = 3

Okay, spending team to do damage control on Beta's statement. For my own, taking having people view the team according to the label Savior, see me in particular as successful for Potential, and to get an opportunity from a viewer. Bring on the anger from the powerful.

As for the failed roll... Ow. Wasn't sure how to reflect it in my post, so, up to Neopie whatever bad stuff/hard moves result from it.

Roland_Jones Oh crud, I just noticed the influence aimed at Noriko (and actually most people), whoops. Okay, that's another roll to make.
Resist the reporter's influence
!roll 2d6
Krysmbot Roland_Jones, 10 = 10
Roland_Jones Bam.

Marking potential by immediately acting against the reporter (via my response) and shifting Savior up, Dangerous down.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 30, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

After dealing with the reporters, I feel a fair amount of relief. Beta's... Earnest answers haven't gone as badly as they could have, and everyone seems mostly satisfied by my answers. I realize that what I said could be seen as boasting about my team, but, well, I stand by it. Flaws aside, I do believe in my teammates. Generally.

Now that we're through here and everyone has spoken with the press sufficiently (and before someone can say or do something they really shouldn't; Nameless seems to be struggling with the reporters, understandably), though, we should get back to the base to recover and report back to the League. Nameless seems like he isn't doing so well, though thankfully Ankensatsu came to his aid. Reaching up to my communicator, I tell the team, "If anyone wishes to leave, I can get us out immediately. Don't feel obligated to keep talking if you don't want to." I'd like to get back myself, too; some rest after everything would be nice, plus I need to get back in touch with Karissa, though reporting in will come first.

After that, I think I'm going to have myself a brainstorming session to come up with a proper hero name for myself, before something else sticks. I suppose I should come up with a costume, too; stopping disasters in my streetwear doesn't present the ideal image.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm still thinking about getting back to base when Beta approaches me and asks me a question. "Hm? ...Oh." I take a moment to think; that's not an easy question to answer, and I don't want to hurt Beta's feelings or something. I hadn't even thought about how he'd react to my attempt to cover up for him there.

"Well, it's a bit complicated, but... It's sort of an image thing, in a way? Heroes are held to a higher standard; the idea that heroes are infighting and not listening to their leader, particularly on something like using lethal force against our foes, is somewhat worrisome, and also not something most people would admit publicly. It's certainly important, but, it's something we need to work out among ourselves, not something for the public to be involved in.

"Think of it like, well, a personal issue, in a way. There are some things you would talk about with Dr. Ritsuko, but not with a person you just met or even a member of the team, right? It's sort of like that."

I smile at him for a moment, then sigh."I'm sorry, it's hard to explain. I can try to explain it more when we're back at the base, if you want, and anything else that might be bothering you."

• Locked thread