Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

WizardVan posted:

Well I sort of answered my own question and found the live stream option 30 min into the show. Didn't that black lady play the boring housewife that visits the murderhouse for a therapy session?
I always think of her as Terra's mom from True Blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I always love when stuff out in the Angeles National Forest (or drat near it anyways) doubles for the rest of the country. Is the foliage anywhere near consistent with North Carolina?

E: I'm an idiot, guess it doesn't matter since its a reenactment anyways

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why did they look younger on the office solo person talking about events stuff?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Tenzarin posted:

Why did they look younger on the office solo person talking about events stuff?

Because they're different people, just like in a true reenactment story. Lily Rabe plays the woman in the talking heads, while Sarah Paulson plays her in the actual events.

So they put up this preview video of what's to come for the season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KUjpSNDlY4

Basically it looks like They're running with this reenactment theme and it looks like they stumble upon the lost colony of Roanoke, which hasn't changed much since it went missing, other than becoming sacrificial and such.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

We finally get more Lily Rabe and they just make her a talking head. :sigh:

Yeah, but she's back. And the pilot was already promising. Bummer about no title sequence. Maybe next week?

Seriously, even if she's just there as a head and narration I am beyond happy she's back.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

OmegaBR posted:

Basically it looks like They're running with this reenactment theme and it looks like they stumble upon the lost colony of Roanoke, which hasn't changed much since it went missing, other than becoming sacrificial and such.

i'd ove to see how they use that theme and still make everything fabulous and super camp

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, they remembered it's named American Horror Story and not American Camp Fest

esperterra posted:

Yeah, but she's back. And the pilot was already promising. Bummer about no title sequence. Maybe next week?

Seriously, even if she's just there as a head and narration I am beyond happy she's back.

I already have a theory near the end of the season they will move on to a "live" style recording with the talking head actors, and conclude the series in the "present." It seems natural with the groundwork they've laid. I'm digging it regardless.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

also thanks to those who recommended continuing watching Dead of Summer (the 80s summer camp horror pastiche show), i've just reached "We all miss her and we have our ways of grieving, but maybe trying to summon her ghost to talk isn't the best way." spoken during a somber funeral and it doesn't disappoint in being shlocky and nuts

e: wow i'm now at cult suicide :wtf:

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 15, 2016

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

The Saddest Rhino posted:

also thanks to those who recommended continuing watching Dead of Summer (the 80s summer camp horror pastiche show), i've just reached "We all miss her and we have our ways of grieving, but maybe trying to summon her ghost to talk isn't the best way." spoken during a somber funeral and it doesn't disappoint in being shlocky and nuts

e: wow i'm now at cult suicide :wtf:

Strap in, buddy. The ride's not over yet.

I always try to watch AHS and can't make it past the first few episodes. This season seems promising in that the first episode didn't make me want to throw up!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Countdown to weird, Roanoke pig orgy. Place your bets on how long it takes to get there (I'm thinking episode 5, with incest coming up by episode 3).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a really clever gimmick because any cheesy effects, bad dialog, plot holes, etc are now failures of the shoddy basic cable paranormal show producing the re-enactments.

Another thing I didn't pay attention to at first but will from now on is how real-Matt and real-Shelby are telling slightly different stories and what they share with each other or tell us in the present (or even what the re-enactments show) isn't necessarily the whole truth.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Thoughts on this episode:

- Not thrilled with the theme but it's what I expected given the casting and filming rumors we were hearing.

- The re-enactment angle is kinda cool, but to be honest I'd rather see the "real life" Matt and Shelby in these scenes. Sarah Paulson is great, but I'd like to see more of Lily Rabe given the choice. And I don't even know who the actor for real-life Matt is but I already like him better than Cuba Gooding Jr. It's also kinda funny that the "real life" actors are more attractive than the "actors" imo

- Cuba is doing...okay...with his scenes, but man, that guy's got such a weird voice. It's all high and hollow and soft and I can already tell it's going to be hard to take him seriously if he ever needs to be intimidating.

- My biggest gripe: They spoiled every single jump scare in the opening. Every single one. What the hell was that all about?!

My initial reaction was that this was bad, but after reading people's impressions in this thread maybe I'm being to quick to judge. It did manage to be suspenseful and creepy at times which I suppose is the most important thing, but I'm going to need a bit more convincing before I'm on board with this season.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

violetdragon posted:

Strap in, buddy. The ride's not over yet.

I always try to watch AHS and can't make it past the first few episodes. This season seems promising in that the first episode didn't make me want to throw up!

oh yeah, i just finished it after a marathon and i definitely enjoyed how dumb and how incredible the twists are in Dead of Summer. Also i love the way almost every death is engineered by how stupid the victim is, such as Aleksei going "i must be strong!" (walks to the dangerous person wielding a pen knife, gets killed by an axe to the chest at point blank range). the final twist is ridiculous but also explains why i didn't care for Amy's characterisation in the earlier episodes - she felt like she was acting and being "fake" but it turns out that's all intended

re AHS i hope they do stop the reenactment part halfway (hopefully early in the season) and they all decide to go to the woods to find out what really happened with a live crew and TERRIBLE THINGS HAPPEN. it also makes me wonder how they're going to do the Halloween episode, unless they just make the lost colony people do a dance or loving whatever ryan murphy thinks of

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

OmegaBR posted:

Because they're different people, just like in a true reenactment story. Lily Rabe plays the woman in the talking heads, while Sarah Paulson plays her in the actual events.

So they put up this preview video of what's to come for the season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KUjpSNDlY4

So basically yesterday should of been like a double episode, because the only thing we didn't get was the idea of the show and twist to make it work for a season. Was an ok episode, looks like they are trying to keep things simple this season so far somehow in all of american horror story history.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
What if this season is just a bunch of "real" paranormal stories reenacted by the AHS cast Drunk History style? That would make the presentation make sense.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Lily Rabe and Sarah Paulson are equally good looking and I will not hear of anything to the contrary.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TheBizzness posted:

Lily Rabe and Sarah Paulson are equally good looking and I will not hear of anything to the contrary.

I love me some Paulson, but nobody on AHS can top Rabe the Babe.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The entire time I was watching this I expected there to be a sudden twist. Like Rabe and other guy weren't actually talking to some re-enactment studio interviewer but were talking to other ghosts in the house or something.

It never came and this basically feels like Murder House, Coven, and Asylum mixed together.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
There's got to be something up beyond the talking heads, no way they could stretch such a thing across 13 episodes, but this is AHS we're talking about. The raining teeth were probably just a creepy image and nothing more, for example.

The problem with a lot of those "A Haunting" shows, is that you could typically edit it down from an hour to five minutes and get all the interesting bits. That's how I felt about this episode. Again, appreciate the fact that it's back to more horror and less camp. However, it's almost the other side of the extreme where, instead of a bunch of glam vampires hanging out with ghosts and mattress monsters, we get a mysterious force trying to drown a lone woman and some creepy hicks using torches and dead pigs as scare tactics. It's gone from utterly ridiculous to disappointingly basic.

I don't mean to complain too much, it's just been one episode of course, but I'm still salty about all the ?6 hype. If there's one thing to hate about this show, it's lack of satisfying payoffs. All those teasers and possible ideas, and so far we end up with American Horror Story (Presents:) A Haunting Fit For Destination America.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

OmegaBR posted:

There's got to be something up beyond the talking heads, no way they could stretch such a thing across 13 episodes, but this is AHS we're talking about. The raining teeth were probably just a creepy image and nothing more, for example.

The problem with a lot of those "A Haunting" shows, is that you could typically edit it down from an hour to five minutes and get all the interesting bits. That's how I felt about this episode. Again, appreciate the fact that it's back to more horror and less camp. However, it's almost the other side of the extreme where, instead of a bunch of glam vampires hanging out with ghosts and mattress monsters, we get a mysterious force trying to drown a lone woman and some creepy hicks using torches and dead pigs as scare tactics. It's gone from utterly ridiculous to disappointingly basic.

I don't mean to complain too much, it's just been one episode of course, but I'm still salty about all the ?6 hype. If there's one thing to hate about this show, it's lack of satisfying payoffs. All those teasers and possible ideas, and so far we end up with American Horror Story (Presents:) A Haunting Fit For Destination America.

I expect that the ghosts will start messing with the documentary format. I don't think Ryan Murphy would give up the chance to mix up the casts, wherein the "fake" actors find themselves inexplicably in their "real" counterpart's place. Or maybe the cast will push their way into another documentary. With how the show is currently being played, the show could probably play with identity and psychosis. The scene where Cuba Gooding Jr. watches the O.J. Simpson car chase was especially interesting. I don't know if that's just an easter egg or Murphy tipping his hand for what is to come.

As a whole, I enjoyed the episode. The slow build is nice after several seasons of loud and gaudy monsters. I just hope the show doesn't blow its load four episodes in.

It's dumb, but this episode reminded me a lot of the game Lakeview Cabin, which involves a bunch of hillbillies and a guy in a pig mask murdering some kids. I don't expect there's a connection, but it will be funny if the pig-man starts carrying around a chainsaw.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 15, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's worth mentioning this year we get a shorter season. Ten episodes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I really liked this. I'm excited to see more and I really think they could do something cool with the talking head/cable re-enactment formula they've established--even with only ten episodes. I'm on board.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So what's this season about?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

timp posted:

And I don't even know who the actor for real-life Matt is but I already like him better than Cuba Gooding Jr.

Andre Holland. He was in The Knick and was amazing, so I definitely hope he does a little more than talk to the camera.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

timp posted:

- My biggest gripe: They spoiled every single jump scare in the opening. Every single one. What the hell was that all about?!

Part of the window dressing, all these shows give a flash of the jump scares to get people hooked at the beginning.

Show wise it's a good call, lets them do jump scares but avoid some of the hackiness that all jump scares end up being.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

It's worth mentioning this year we get a shorter season. Ten episodes.

That has to be for the best, really. There have been about ten good episodes for each season of the last three years, and like 12 not so good ones.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah. Granted he's said next year they may well return to the old airing time and number of episodes, but this year he didn't want 'blood with his Thanksgiving' or something. So I expect a more toned down season this year.

Maybe.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't want toned down, necessarily, I just want them to tell a complete story for once.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

El Tortuga posted:

If I don't get at least one God damned wendigo this season I will lose my mind!

Would you settle for wendipig? :mrapig:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

sector_corrector posted:

I don't want toned down, necessarily, I just want them to tell a complete story for once.

Agreed. I love the camp that comes with this show, it's one of the reasons I let Murphy's shows get away with poo poo I would drop other shows over, but he often takes it too far the longer a show runs. Despite being an anthology series AHS hasn't been able to avoid that.

I'm sure poo poo will get wacky once we get into demon sacrifices or whatever (rumour has it Gaga will be playing a monster, maybe she's the thing they sacrifice to idk) but I honestly don't mind sacrificing some of that silly if it means we get a coherent story this year.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was ready to turn it off any second during the first 30 minutes because it was a little boring but I finally got into it and enjoyed the episode. The story feels a little tighter so far rather than throw lots of random at the viewer like previous seasons.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Maybe they now stuff all the random camp poo poo into Scream Queens

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hopefully. And hopefully all the praise People vs OJ got has Murphy thinking he needs to tighten poo poo up on AHS. Of course we still have the one big difference: he didn't write that.

Still, though. My hopes are higher this year than they were for Freakshow or Hotel.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

So, is the pig the butcher murderer from Season 1?

Here piggy pig :mrapig:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I thought it was alright but wasn't really a fan of the doco angle.

Also probably best not to get your hopes up because every season has potential but then quickly spirals downwards.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CODChimera posted:

I thought it was alright but wasn't really a fan of the doco angle.

Also probably best not to get your hopes up because every season has potential but then quickly spirals downwards.

Hope is the real monster.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Tenzarin posted:

This is kinda like Amityville house?

So cops take drugs and are assholes on the job? Someone tell dnd they were right.

drat they bought the darkest house possible. Where are the lights?

Also, "We found the most beautiful old farmhouses. It had three bedrooms..." Holy poo poo, that house is huge for only having 3 bedrooms. I've been in a fair few farmhouses like that, and none of them have ever had just 3 bedrooms.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

10 Beers posted:

Also, "We found the most beautiful old farmhouses. It had three bedrooms..." Holy poo poo, that house is huge for only having 3 bedrooms. I've been in a fair few farmhouses like that, and none of them have ever had just 3 bedrooms.

I was thinking the same thing, how does that huge hallway they keep showing fit inside the exterior?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

haveblue posted:

I was thinking the same thing, how does that huge hallway they keep showing fit inside the exterior?

Calling it now, we're getting basically a televised version of House of Leaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like it's officially AHS: Roanoke. All the online branding has been changed to this title.

• Locked thread