Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Huh. Also as someone who has been complimented on his tuckus many times I am now very insecure about the state of my rump.

readingatwork posted:

Finally got around to watching the first episode of season 6 and I'm actually really liking it so far. It's probably the first episode of the show I've seen that's legitimately frightening. What the hell AHS!?
That's AHS for you, always taking the unexpected detour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

mind the walrus posted:

Huh. Also as someone who has been complimented on his tuckus many times I am now very insecure about the state of my rump.

Right? gently caress this show and its many threatening examples of male beauty.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Gatekeeper posted:

yeah I'm glad I kept watching, it's been an awful ride but that line made... well, not the whole thing worth it, but it made me laugh pretty hard. He was so good, almost a shame everything else was so awful. He really made everyone else seem even worse in comparison, too.

And yeah I guess I understand what you guys mean about Gaga, it certainly could have been a lot worse. But it really is just a completely unremarkable performance. I know she's somehow managed to become a huge gay icon, but the show itself seems to be treating her with this weird reverence based on that alone, and it feels completely unearned and especially frustrating when other fantastic actors are being either wasted or practically ignored (March aside).

I thought binging it would be more tolerable than waiting week after week to be let down, like Coven and Freakshow. But yeah, I think seeing potential evaporate so quickly might have been even worse.
Hotel runs counter to Freakshow and Coven by virtue of having too many ideas it has no idea what to do with so they die an inglorious death via throw-away resolution. Coven had the problem of being too in love with its core concept and repeatedly playing the same notes (frankenboy love triangle! voodoo vs. witchcraft! people keep coming back from the dead! the supreme! jessica lange boozing!). Freakshow, on the other hand, had too few ideas and blew its load fast and then desperately tried to pad out the rest of the episodes (people keep becoming the new owners! random anachronistic musical numbers! twisty dying and then dandy kind of just doing his own thing! the twins being fickle!). Hotel just had way too much that it couldn't explore in any depth and it becomes painfully clear that no, X isn't gonna happen, Matt Bomer is just going to dance to Hotline Bling.

It's surprisingly hard to find a longer version of this but I really can't be assed to look deeper.

And yeah Gaga's performance isn't the best. I will say one thing in the show's favor is that it didn't treat her like they did Lange as time went on. I think the big thing that leads to the reverence was the fact that she has the highest (relative) celebrity factor and they wanted to milk that for all it was worth. Kind of a lovely thing to say, considering Bates and Bassett and Peters and all that but Gaga's definitely on the lips of people more than they are these days.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

what if the true horror of AHS6 is that it has a coherent plot

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

The Saddest Rhino posted:

what if the true horror of AHS6 is that it has a coherent plot

I'll finally start hatewatching something.

Half the fun of AHS is that its the TV version of a kinder surprise. Nice chocolate coating on the outside, but god knows what's inside. Could be a twinky guy dancing to hotline bling or a ghost teenager discovering her own rotting corpse. Who knows! Who cares! It won't matter in three episodes!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 19, 2016

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I love that Neal Patrick Harris is left out of every review of Freakshow. It happened so late in the season that everyone had already tuned out and even though I thought it was one of the highlights, everyone else hated it.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Liz Taylor and Mr March alone lift Hotel above Coven and Freakshow. There is literally no highlight in Coven.

But yeah, I agree overall. Coven was a definition of wasted potential, especially with that cast. Hotel was a definite improvement, albeit towards a campy eye-candy style, and I still haven't watched Freakshow, as I had to take a break from AHS after Coven. Because Coven was that bad.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
"Coven" was the only season of the show I tuned out from. The only part I enjoyed was Danny Huston as the Axeman of New Orleans.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

TheBizzness posted:

I love that Neal Patrick Harris is left out of every review of Freakshow. It happened so late in the season that everyone had already tuned out and even though I thought it was one of the highlights, everyone else hated it.

By that point, every character/plot was just one big 'What? Why?' after another.

Finally watched the first ep of this season; I had ignored the Hotel season b/c of the shittiness that Freak Show became, and the idea of 'Vampire Lady Gaga' and 'monster with a drilldo' didn't appeal to me at all. I just read the AHS thread while it was airing and felt I wasn't missing out.

So far it makes me think of Murder House with the whole miscarriage/stressful situation for the couple/move into a creepy house to start anew/oh no! Scary things are now happening! I'll give it until episode five (IMO Freak Show went off the loving rails after that ep)

Just out of curiosity, has there been any list/mention of who from the list of Murphy's usual stable will be coming back this season? I know we got Peters, Rabe, Paulson, and Bates. I'm sure by tomorrow's episode Bomer or Wittrock's butt will make their return.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Evan peters was the best part of Hotel. If nothing else, just skip around and only watch his scenes and the maids scenes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Scream Queens is bad now and it's good as usual. It kinda boggles my mind tons of people hatewatch AHS but Scream Queens struggles to find an audience.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

If I had to hazard a guess as someone who's never seen Scream Queens, they probably looked at the promos and looked at Coven and Freakshow and thought "maybe I don't wanna see what happens when Ryan Murphy starts at an unfettered level of camp".

I should check out Scream Queens though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's amazing. It's so good it evaporated my hatred for Ariana Grande.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

esperterra posted:

It's amazing. It's so good it evaporated my hatred for Ariana Grande.

Can confirm, I saw the season 2 premiere tonight and it looks like it's picking up where it left off in terms of quality, which is very good because it only got better throughout season 1. It is seriously a funny, funny show.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Thank you thread for reminding me to record scream queens

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, Scream Queens hasn't missed a beat.

John Stamos playing a fallen surgeon who was the recipient of a hand transplant that appears have a mind of its own? Check.

Taylor Lautner playing an emotionally disconnected doctor who may in fact be dead/undead who had a line in this episode that he envies ice because it could at least melt. Check.

Kristie Alley as a hard rear end nurse that chews scenery to pieces? Check.

Wolf girl being cured of hair all over her body over night via diet and then proceeds to get a makeover? Check.

The show just commits fully to its conceit, it's amazing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Hostile V posted:

If I had to hazard a guess as someone who's never seen Scream Queens, they probably looked at the promos and looked at Coven and Freakshow and thought "maybe I don't wanna see what happens when Ryan Murphy starts at an unfettered level of camp".

It's definitely camp but not Coven/Freakshow camp. It's actually really good for what it is (a horror comedy)

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

Just out of curiosity, has there been any list/mention of who from the list of Murphy's usual stable will be coming back this season? I know we got Peters, Rabe, Paulson, and Bates. I'm sure by tomorrow's episode Bomer or Wittrock's butt will make their return.
Don't know about the list, but we've already seen Wes Bentley and I think Gaga briefly in episode 1, and I could swear I've seen O'Hare too, possibly in previews, so there's that.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Don't know about the list, but we've already seen Wes Bentley and I think Gaga briefly in episode 1, and I could swear I've seen O'Hare too, possibly in previews, so there's that.

Wasn't O'Hare the guy in the home movie?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, Scream Queens hasn't missed a beat.

John Stamos playing a fallen surgeon who was the recipient of a hand transplant that appears have a mind of its own? Check.

Taylor Lautner playing an emotionally disconnected doctor who may in fact be dead/undead who had a line in this episode that he envies ice because it could at least melt. Check.

Kristie Alley as a hard rear end nurse that chews scenery to pieces? Check.

Wolf girl being cured of hair all over her body over night via diet and then proceeds to get a makeover? Check.

The show just commits fully to its conceit, it's amazing.

You had me sold at "Taylor Lautner playing a doctor."

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

stone cold posted:

Wasn't O'Hare the guy in the home movie?
Oh poo poo yeah, that's the one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

First 10 minutes of Scream Queens season 1 episode 1 is super annoying. Maybe that's why people didn't give it a chance.

Three episodes in and it has yet to be funny or scary. It's not a horror-comedy, it's a juvenile spoof. Uh, is this one of those shows you need to be a teenager or on drugs (or a teenager on drugs) to enjoy?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

First 10 minutes of Scream Queens season 1 episode 1 is super annoying. Maybe that's why people didn't give it a chance.

Three episodes in and it has yet to be funny or scary. It's not a horror-comedy, it's a juvenile spoof. Uh, is this one of those shows you need to be a teenager or on drugs (or a teenager on drugs) to enjoy?

I thought that Scream Queens was cool and good, and I'm old and generally sober.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I thought Scream Queens was an anthology show, too?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It is not, same characters, just different setting a few years later.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You see the woods are actually a portal to season 3. That's why all the characters haven't been seen yet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mezzanon posted:

I thought that Scream Queens was cool and good, and I'm old and generally sober.

Huh. Maybe the overwhelming sadness of GBS getting Old Yeller'd ruined my sense of humor last night.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

clown shoes posted:

I thought Scream Queens was an anthology show, too?

I think that was the original idea, but now it's carrying over from how the last season ended since it's pretty close to one (without getting too spoilery, most of the characters gone and the few who are left in a completely different setting). I'm not sure how it happened, though, or if it was always the plan.

I actually liked the first season well enough as something to have on in the background while I did homework-- it's silly but coherent and made me laugh a few times.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Huh. Maybe the overwhelming sadness of GBS getting Old Yeller'd ruined my sense of humor last night.

Speaking of, what happened with that? I never read it, but noticed it when I pulled the forums up this morning.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't think you'll find the rest funny either if you didn't this far. I wouldn't say the humor is juvenile, but it's definitely not for everyone.

I think the humor is quirky, sometimes a little absurdist. The characters are exaggerated, yet still never consistent. For instance, Chanel is shallow and cares about nothing except herself. In one episode she has Jennifer count the 8 votes because she thought "you Rain Man types were super-good at counting" but in the halloween episode she suddenly lectures the other Chanels about assassinated presidents off the top of her head.

There are silly repeat jokes like Pete's constant failing at breaking into places silently or Chanel always treating #5 extra lovely and spreading the rumour that her vagina has teeth. There are silly scenes like the dicky dollar scholars trying to fight chainsaw wielding murderers with wooden bats, or Chanel referencing a party game called "cocaine or dildo?" which is never explained or mentioned again.

Most of the things that makes me groan in AHS makes me laugh in Scream Queens because they make sense in the comedic setting. In a realistic setting you'd be annoyed at the plot holes and inconsistencies (life goes on as normal at the sorority despite multiple deaths, someone can fake his own murder and walk straight out of the morgue without being missed etc.) In Scream Queens it's poked fun at.

I can see how it's hit or miss, but it really hit with me.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Since we're on Scream Queens chat, here's the Season 2 thread

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

E-- Not the place.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 22, 2016

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Some people just fried a dude in front of you and you think they're just trying to scare you?

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
Just throwing it out there, if my kid ever starts talking to nothing about how it is sick of all the blood, we are moving ASAP.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
why is there a hospital in my house

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I really hope the "A Haunting"-style reenactment isn't a thing all season, because it's already gotten really old.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The ex-husband had a pretty realistic reaction all things considered

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Hello I am Dr. Exposition

FACT

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MURDE