Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I was rewatching clips of the original series and noticing how it was part problem-solving, part goofy poo poo, and part fight and shoot stuff. Then the next generation and voyager and onwards were more about being serious sci-fi, then enterprise and the reboot movies showed up and they dumbed it down again.

Now I'm wondering if Discovery will be like the new TNG or the same old poo poo like DS9 and enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

New series? Cool.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
That blonde lady in the new movies is super pretty.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i have no idea what ur talking about

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I heard the new series is going to be directed by Michael Bay with Megan Fox as the captain of the Enterprise.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
the newest one was good, I didn't even see previews or any word of mouth for it so it might've benefited from rock bottom expectations.

as far as the tv show, IDK how that'll work out. I can't read the future unfortunately.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
ya sure whatever

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I should've pointed out before, I actually liked the new reboot movies, specifically the first one and Beyond, Into Darkness was lame. What I'm getting at is the thinking man's sci-fi concept that TNG and Voyager worked on and the others didn't follow.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Enfield posted:

ya sure whatever

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the new reboot movies are garbage and they're ruining star trek

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i dunno, i don't watch star trek op, because i am not a child molester

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

we already have a star trek thread you poo poo finger

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

we already have a star trek thread you poo poo finger

but I don't watch voyager.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There hasn't been any Star Trek since DS9 ended.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

star treks that are good:
the original series
the next generation
deep space 9
voyager
enterprise
the animated series
the wrath of khan
the search for spock
first contact

star treks that are bad:
all the other movies

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
getting?!?!??!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Spock circles Uranus for Klingons.

naem
May 29, 2011

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EorayMel posted:

Spock circles Uranus for Klingons.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

thinking man's sci-fi

ha ha, what a goober.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Star Trek and Star Wars are the same sort of space adventure style sci-fi and sometimes Star Trek is good. But anyone who thinks Star Trek is or used to be more highbrow, more thoughtful, or more realistic is dumb as hell.

"Oh, hey, it's another planet full of hot fuckable women with slightly weird foreheads. Alright men, don't go too wild, you wouldn't want to get pregnant. Oh noooooo, it's Mr. Space-Wizard again, he's here to do space pranks to my ship! I hope he leaves soon so we can do a basic morality play with some Aliens that all exemplify exactly one solitary human attribute!"

The technobabble doesn't actually mean anything you idiots, this ain't Stanisław Lem.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Star Trek and Star Wars are the same sort of space adventure style sci-fi and sometimes Star Trek is good. But anyone who thinks Star Trek is or used to be more highbrow, more thoughtful, or more realistic is dumb as hell.

"Oh, hey, it's another planet full of hot fuckable women with slightly weird foreheads. Alright men, don't go too wild, you wouldn't want to get pregnant. Oh noooooo, it's Mr. Space-Wizard again, he's here to do space pranks to my ship! I hope he leaves soon so we can do a basic morality play with some Aliens that all exemplify exactly one solitary human attribute!"

The technobabble doesn't actually mean anything you idiots, this ain't Stanisław Lem.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

yes, as long as you posted this thread 19 years ago

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

nerds just wanna watch space debates, I do not understand the appeal

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

That blonde lady in the new movies is super pretty.

Chris Pine?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Hey guyz im gonna come in and cop a squat in this thread.

https://youtu.be/lVIGhYMwRgs

(your tiny chairs are no match for me)

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Season 6 of DS9 was the last time Star Trek was good.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Scotty, beam this post down the toilet

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I have nothing but positive feelings for the new Star Trek series known as STD and airing exclusively on CBS's paid streaming service.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Infidel Castro posted:

Season 6 of DS9 was the last time Star Trek was good.

Deep Space Nine was the best Star Trek series of them all.

It had better direction, better story lines, and better character development than the others. The war with the Dominion led to some unexpected events. The private war between Odo and Quark was especially enjoyable.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Good or bad

Star Trek is REAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA4IkGUcxe8

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

voted 5

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Frog Act posted:

star treks that are good:
the original series
the next generation
deep space 9
voyager
enterprise
the animated series
the wrath of khan
the search for spock
first contact

star treks that are bad:
all the other movies

The Voyage Home you loving retard

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
My favorite episode was when they all smoked space weed on the bridge and then they prank called the Romulans

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I can't wait to illegally download all the episodes

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rasta_Al posted:

My favorite episode was when they all smoked space weed on the bridge and then they prank called the Romulans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbLVEHMswD4

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I can't wait to illegally download all the episodes

Netflix has all of DS9 on for streaming

it's really good especially when they do Casablanca starring Quark

Really 75 percent of Star Trek is alien sex stuff it's kinda weird

I like the one where O'Brian becomes displaced in time
also the one where O'Brian is hated by everybody and he doesn't know why
and the one where O'Brian becomes the god king of a tiny village

I like when Bashir is just a snarky rear end in a top hat in the background for entire episodes

i like it when bashir is james bond

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

King Possum III posted:

Deep Space Nine was the best Star Trek series of them all.

It had better direction, better story lines, and better character development than the others. The war with the Dominion led to some unexpected events. The private war between Odo and Quark was especially enjoyable.

For me it's a tossup between DS9 and TNG. TNG was my first so there will always be that juvenile romance in it for me, plus it had the most high octane actors.

DS9 was a work of genius though. Great characters (and hell you forgot the greatest character of all time, Garak), great dialogue, and an overarching plot that was almost as good as babylon 5's. Plus, I wouldn't exactly call it realistic, but it at least tried to poke holes in the Federation city on the hill propoganda you get fed in every other trek.

https://youtu.be/4hdiuRMK3UQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're new movies might as well be called Star Shrek imo. :airquote:

• Locked thread