Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

In Training posted:

I stopped playing the witness after like 2 hours because I didn't like it.

That's fair! You saved yourself from this bamboo hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

doughvakiin posted:

i completely skipped the bamboo forest zone because despite 30 minutes wandering around looking for the first panel i absolutely could not find it. only zone i didnt finish, and i probably never will

:staredog:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

I stopped playing the witness after like 2 hours because I didn't like it.

Well, that's a shame. But at the same time trying to force your way through a game like that sounds like hell so I'm happy you no longer have that weight upon your shoulders despite how epic the weight is

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah...the reason I didn't like it really is because it felt like a puzzle game about learning rules. Once you learned the rules, the game itself was over and then you moved on. Contrasted with something like Picross, where the rules are known and simple, and it's a structure for repeatable actions and designed. I appreciate that there can be joy in learning rules like that but to me it felt like playing 15 different dark souls tutorial zones at once without a game behind it.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

Yeah...the reason I didn't like it really is because it felt like a puzzle game about learning rules. Once you learned the rules, the game itself was over and then you moved on. Contrasted with something like Picross, where the rules are known and simple, and it's a structure for repeatable actions and designed. I appreciate that there can be joy in learning rules like that but to me it felt like playing 15 different dark souls tutorial zones at once without a game behind it.

This is insightful and valid criticism. But I still love the Witness.. can't help it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I do like that the game has a FMV of that scene in nostalghia where that guy carries a candle back and forth across an empty pool for 20 minutes to own everyone who found it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

I do like that the game has a FMV of that scene in nostalghia where that guy carries a candle back and forth across an empty pool for 20 minutes to own everyone who found it

despite seeing a video of that part online, not the actual scene mind you, but a youtube vid of someone watching it while in game, i still sat through the whole scene watching. art

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You should watch the movie it came from its pretty good and also the worst Tarkovsky movie so everything else will be uphill for you

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

You should watch the movie it came from its pretty good and also the worst Tarkovsky movie so everything else will be uphill for you

I watched Stalker a few months ago and it was one of the most mesmerizing & interesting films I've ever seen so I plan on watching the rest Tarkovsky at some point or another. Solaris is next up I know that scene comes from nhostalgia(spelling) but are there any you think I should peep before the otheres. Thank you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He didn't make many movies because he took years to make movies and then died young so watch everything IMO.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

He didn't make many movies because he took years to make movies and then died young so watch everything IMO.

badass. god rest his soul

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
honestly im glad he moved on from dexters lab and made samurai jack (which is coming back)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also i was unable to play more than like 20 minutes of the witness at a time because the isladn would only load chunks that were nearby on start and you cant walk on unloaded terrain so if i strayed too far from wherever i started id be stopped dead by the void

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

ArfJason posted:

honestly im glad he moved on from dexters lab and made samurai jack (which is coming back)

samurai jack 1 episode already premiered. it was really cool and funny. i don't remember much comedy from the original series but this one has funny parts and i lolled.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ive only seen solaris of his stuff, is hould watch stalker sometime. the book that solaris is based off of is badass too, stanislaw lem's real fuckin cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

did arf eat am onth just for posting in the star citizen piss hole? hosed up imo

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Stalker is a beautiful film. I'd gush and type lots of words abotu it in here if it was a puzzle game :D which to be clear it is not -- although it will leave you thonking...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

In Training posted:

The rules compose in interesting ways that make you figure out cool new stuff. Knowing the rules did not suffice on many of the puzzles, you had to apply them hardcore. It's cool if you don't like it though - if I didn't like a game after 2 hours I'd stop, as well.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
My favorite part of The Witness was the extremely long TED Talks.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The greenhouse was easy but I found the small one in the town first which imo was much easier to see what was going on, provided you know Logic.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

In Training posted:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The rules compose in interesting ways that make you figure out cool new stuff. Knowing the rules did not suffice on many of the puzzles, you had to apply them hardcore. It's cool if you don't like it though - if I didn't like a game after 2 hours I'd stop, as well.

yeah, i don't think that's a particularly fair criticism. maybe half the puzzles were 'learn these rules'; the other half were 'ok, solve a tough problem with these constraints you've already discovered'. (the north part of the island tended more toward this than the south, i think.)

but if you didn't like it, well... as they say in Paris, "say la vee".

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its probably because I bounced around a lot in that period. I think I only solved like 2 lasers.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

emoji posted:

The greenhouse was easy but I found the small one in the town first which imo was much easier to see what was going on, provided you know Logic.

I know logic. Prolly why I liked the game so drat much lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

Did u find the puzzle associated with it? there's a line you can draw inside the video but the start of the line is only visible at the beginning of the clip and the end of it is only visible in the last few seconds so u have to watch the entire thing

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

Did u find the puzzle associated with it? there's a line you can draw inside the video but the start of the line is only visible at the beginning of the clip and the end of it is only visible in the last few seconds so u have to watch the entire thing

i didn't know this.. that's loving sick

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

goferchan posted:

isn't that puzzle in the hour-long video of the moon, not the candle video?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Witness: Okay, I gave up and got a walkthrough for the bamboo audio puzzles. I'm tone deaf, that was obnoxious, and just...screw it. There are better puzzles awaiting me. :mad:

One more complaint: the audio clues/solutions repeat either way too frequently or infrequently so for at least one puzzle I was sitting there waiting for it to play again so I could try to guess at a solution, and just. Include a toggle so I can make it play or not! Don't waste my time even more with this bs set of puzzles!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 15, 2017

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

heh... the witness..

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

woozy pawsies posted:

heh... the witness..

Oh poo poo what's up bro. Heard you were pretty good at that game

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

:grin:

i found out recently i missed 1 puzzle and i have absolutely no idea where.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Been playing Beglitched and it's really fun... it's kinda hard to explain but basically the main mechanic is a mix of minesweeper and a match 3 game. you do battle with enemies who are invisible and hiding on your grid and you have to suss out their location using tiles that give you their relative distance & direction and then match bomb tiles to blow them up. Outside of combat you move around a map that's sort of like minesweeper and find items and talk to NPCs and buy stuff and avoid traps. Really interesting mash-up of mechanics and the difficulty ramps up very quickly and more and more twists on the gameplay keep piling up. It's on Steam and iOS

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

I finished The Witness and Talos Principle. What should I play next?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

u got mares in yr house posted:

Stephen's Sausage Roll.

It's still on sale here for ten bucks for another few hours.

(It's destroying my brain, come suffer with me - the puzzles are so clever and I feel like a queen when I finish even one.)

e: I want to add that I have seen the Great Tower and I'm not ready for it. I will never be ready for it.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 16, 2017

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

DROD

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

this orh excells

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ever heard of a little game called portal???

There's cake.... *chortles*

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Snakebird is good . Stephens Sausage Roll sounds amazing but i haven't played it yet

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Talos principle is my #1 favorite game of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

crosscells is out.

• Locked thread