Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I just bought English Country Tune (idk how much it is on PC but it's a dollar on phones) and holy poo poo this is a good puzzle game. Starts out as some simple sokoban stuff but keeps revealing layers and layers of rules and reveals itself to be a lot more complicated. Makes me feel like a retard tho lol

edit:

goferchan fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

goferchan posted:

I just bought English Country Tune (idk how much it is on PC but it's a dollar on phones) and holy poo poo this is a good puzzle game. Starts out as some simple sokoban stuff but keeps revealing layers and layers of rules and reveals itself to be a lot more complicated. Makes me feel like a retard tho lol

It's made by the same guy who made Stephen's Sausage Roll.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yah that's why i downloaded it, hadn't played SSR but it's like $30 and thought i'd try this first for a buck. It's a perfect phone game too.... i've been stuck on one puzzle for hours but the actual act of solving them never takes more than 1 or 2 minutes

edit: have you played Sausage Roll? i'm pretty intrigued . lol Jonathan Blow said it was the best puzzle game of last year, counting The Witness

goferchan fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 28, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

English a country tune pwns and I believe it's also cheap on PC. I got it on a sale years ago and spent hours with it. I don't think I ever beat it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sausage Roll is great but I got to a point where I had to stop, it was too much.

ECT kept my interest longer, I think just because moving that flipper feels good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

goferchan posted:

edit:

ect is the loving poo poo

StrixNebulosa posted:

whoah increpare made SSR? now i really want it

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

stephen's sausage roll is too hard for me. im a puzzle games retard

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

turns out I just needed some time to get a feel for the game. I'll have to pick up ECT when I get the chance, this is some good puzzling

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
english country tune is so good

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

extremely steampunk posted:

turns out I just needed some time to get a feel for the game. I'll have to pick up ECT when I get the chance, this is some good puzzling

Now you're thinking with sausages.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
give me more puzzles. i need my brain destroyed

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

give me more puzzles. i need my brain destroyed

Have you been through Snakebird?

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you been through Snakebird?

i have, i honestly didn't like it much though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, uh, have you been through these? Gateways is freaking hard, and DROD gets real tangly once you're through the first areas. Patterna hits that Hexcell itch - it's not as good but it's close enough.

And not in that category because it's a roguelike first is Desktop Dungeons, which is the perfect fusion of the two genres.

(ps not everything in my puzzler category is good, but I've at least tried everything on it so nothing in there is outright garbage)

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Just wanted to bring this game to the attention of the thread. Archaica is a light beam reflecting and bending type of game like Chromatron(if anyone still even remembers this) and it's incredibly pretty and well polished. Can't comment on the fairness and difficulty of the puzzles since I'm only about 10 levels in, but they seemed to ramp up from simple to devious really quick. I've been really enjoying it so far though.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

u got mares in yr house posted:

Just wanted to bring this game to the attention of the thread. Archaica is a light beam reflecting and bending type of game like Chromatron(if anyone still even remembers this) and it's incredibly pretty and well polished. Can't comment on the fairness and difficulty of the puzzles since I'm only about 10 levels in, but they seemed to ramp up from simple to devious really quick. I've been really enjoying it so far though.

id be willing to try it but man, 13 bucks

BTW if you have brain aids like me and like shapes and gay poo poo like geometry, absolutely give this game a try

http://www.euclidea.xyz/

its completely free on pc, and on phone you can unlock all stages for like 1,15$, otherwise to progress you have to get every star in a level pack which is goddamn ridiculous but possible.
It's super loving difficult, because you can't just guesstimate positions, no matter how close, you have to like prove them with shapes and mathematical principles and its really really cool but also really really hard.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

ArfJason posted:

BTW if you have brain aids like me and like shapes and gay poo poo like geometry, absolutely give this game a try

its completely free on pc, and on phone you can unlock all stages for like 1,15$, otherwise to progress you have to get every star in a level pack which is goddamn ridiculous but possible.
It's super loving difficult, because you can't just guesstimate positions, no matter how close, you have to like prove them with shapes and mathematical principles and its really really cool but also really really hard.

Euclidea is a lot of fun, thanks for the recommendation! I'm brushing up on my high school geometry terms, like wtf is a vertex again???

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ArfJason posted:

Thanks for nerd trapping me....this is tough. I hope the last level is trisecting the angle. The "E" stars specifically are super hard and I'm pretty sure we never touched minimal-move constructions in high school.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 15, 2017

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I made a puzzle game.

Everyone, please: Buy My Game.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I made a puzzle game.

my friend who has bought and played every single programming puzzle game on steam said it is very good and well made

Please buy PleasingFungus's game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

I made a puzzle game.

Okay, I will.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I made a puzzle game.

It's on the wishlist for when I've got spare cash :cheers:

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

I made a puzzle game.

whoa zhe zachtronics guy gave you a quote for the back of the box so it must be legit

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Apologies, i will not buy it until its 5 bucks on a sale because argentina. Sry, it looks cool

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

my friend who has bought and played every single programming puzzle game on steam said it is very good and well made

Please buy PleasingFungus's game.

discount cathouse posted:

whoa zhe zachtronics guy gave you a quote for the back of the box so it must be legit

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's on the wishlist for when I've got spare cash :cheers:

Thank you, all. It is very passe and unfashionable to be sincere these days, but I am, nonetheless, sincerely grateful.

ArfJason posted:

Apologies, i will not buy it until its 5 bucks on a sale because argentina. Sry, it looks cool

I understand. Stay strong, Gamer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

TBH I would have bought your game even if it looked like crap for all the work you did on crawl so it's extra-cool that it also looks really fun to me, a big nerd. Is there a place that isn't steam that gets you a bigger cut or something?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

TBH I would have bought your game even if it looked like crap for all the work you did on crawl so it's extra-cool that it also looks really fun to me, a big nerd. Is there a place that isn't steam that gets you a bigger cut or something?

yeah, itch.io is a bit more generous. don't worry about it too much one way or another, tho

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

hey, how good/bad is this puzzle game? Operator Overload

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

hey, how good/bad is this puzzle game? Operator Overload

I'd say it's good, but that's because I helped test it :v:

The goal of each level is to guide the path of the launchers into the goals, using 'magnets' to bend the path to do so. You start with 90 degree turn magnets, but unlock more as you get to the later levels. The non-tutorial levels start out easy at first (probably around 5 minutes or less per puzzle once the game 'clicks') but starts to get more complicated the further you get, both inside and outside each world. The later stuff starts getting pretty insane (one of the end world puzzles took a collected 7 hours of staring, hair pulling, and messing around before I eventually solved it). There's also a level editor with Workshop integration for quick sharing/downloading.

I was gonna see if I could snag some keys from the dev to pass out before mentioning it in the Steam thread (after I get off work later today), but I can answer any other questions you got.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

I'd say it's good, but that's because I helped test it :v:

The goal of each level is to guide the path of the launchers into the goals, using 'magnets' to bend the path to do so. You start with 90 degree turn magnets, but unlock more as you get to the later levels. The non-tutorial levels start out easy at first (probably around 5 minutes or less per puzzle once the game 'clicks') but starts to get more complicated the further you get, both inside and outside each world. The later stuff starts getting pretty insane (one of the end world puzzles took a collected 7 hours of staring, hair pulling, and messing around before I eventually solved it). There's also a level editor with Workshop integration for quick sharing/downloading.

I was gonna see if I could snag some keys from the dev to pass out before mentioning it in the Steam thread (after I get off work later today), but I can answer any other questions you got.

How much precise timing is involved in solving some of these puzzles? It looked like there was some involved in the trailer.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

How much precise timing is involved in solving some of these puzzles? It looked like there was some involved in the trailer.

There is zero precise timing. You put the magnets down, and can use the launchers separately to test each path (I think there's also a hotkey/shortcut to test all paths at once, but I don't remember off the top of my head because I never used it). If you remove/place a magnet, the launchers all reset.

The trailer just rapid fires the launchers to make it look pretty.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Picross S is out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

There is zero precise timing. You put the magnets down, and can use the launchers separately to test each path (I think there's also a hotkey/shortcut to test all paths at once, but I don't remember off the top of my head because I never used it). If you remove/place a magnet, the launchers all reset.

The trailer just rapid fires the launchers to make it look pretty.

Cool, thanks

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Picross S is out.

There any Micross puzzles in this one?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Idk I went to play it and launched Splatoon instead.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Evil Eagle posted:

There any Micross puzzles in this one?

No, but it has the Micross music as a BGM option

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That sucks. I need my Micross.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I hd a dream about Silicon Zeroes last night where I was playing the game, but it wasn't on a computer, it was in a notepad and I had to draw all the parts with permanent marker

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

extremely steampunk posted:

I hd a dream about Silicon Zeroes last night where I was playing the game, but it wasn't on a computer, it was in a notepad and I had to draw all the parts with permanent marker

that's the hardcore mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
you guys should check out toki tori 2. i never got into it and am giving it another chance now and it has some great puzzles.

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 14, 2017

• Locked thread