Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

It's out now!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/306760/
https://www.gog.com/game/obduction
http://obduction.com/

Overview:
Obduction is the newest adventure game from Cyan, the studio that produced The Manhole, Cosmic Osmo and the Worlds Beyond The Mackerel, Spelunx, Uru, and a couple of lesser-known titles named Myst and Riven.
Kickstarted in 2013 and made in Unreal Engine 4 with promised VR support coming soon, Obduction aims to bring the environmental storytelling, puzzle-solving, and cheesy FMV acting of Cyan's older titles into a new generation.

So What's It About?
Much like Myst, you play in first-person perspective as you are abducted and taken to a strange alien world.
There's a launch trailer that sets the mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wCPOTK587o

Reviews:
Opencritic: 86 average
Destructoid: 9/10
Polygon: 8.5/10

FAQ:
What can I play it on?
Windows, with Mac version coming shortly. Linux version is a "maybe" for the future. The system requirements can be found here.
Cyan strongly recommends installing it on an SSD if you have one with space available.

What's this about a VR version?
There's an Oculus Rift version in development. Other platforms TBD!

Can I play this with a controller
Yep! The game supports both Xbox and Steam controllers natively.

Does the game let me free roam like Cyan's later games like Uru, or am I stuck with node-based travel like Myst 3 or 4?
Your pick! Both navigation modes are available.

Marketing:

How does publicity work again? :iiam:

Here's some screenshots and poo poo I guess. Anyone want to finish the OP for me? I've been so busy that I haven't had time.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Could someone help me with this puzzle, I am having trouble:

(Obduction looks pretty dope, I hope I can get it soon.)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megazver posted:

Could someone help me with this puzzle, I am having trouble:

Try moving the slider.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Beat Obduction at ~13 hours, was a fun Myst-like but I think I liked The Witness more. Install the game on a fast drive if you don't want to hate it.

It was confusing after finishing up all of the other-world trees coming back and realizing I was expected to figure out Hunrath without additional hints. Also that Russian red herring was hilarious.

Ultimately I take the story to be, for ~some reason~ the humans decided to take control of the trees, and for ~some, unrelated reason~ the Mofang eventually were driven to war with the other species. They played ping-pong to send the d20 of death back at the Mofang, destroying their planet. The d20 sent to Maray wasn't ping-ponged so CW assumed everyone was dead. If you turn off the battery, you let the tree do what it was meant to and just like the seeds saved all the people in Hunrath, it turns out Hunrath and all the other bubbles were 'saved' from their own dying planets and are given a new planet for their own. Except the Mofang cause they're all dead. Curious if anyone has a better read on the story than that.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Please include in the OP that this game should be played on an SSD because the load times are basically my only big complaint. Overall I really enjoyed the game and also beat it in about 12 hours.

Edit: A lot of people are going to want to compare this to puzzle games like The Witness or Talos Principle but in my mind Obduction (like Myst) fits better into the adventure game genre. The puzzles exist to get you to look around and inspect details of the environment that you wouldn't normally see and Cyan's forte is being able to create really unique and interesting worlds that compel you to explore them. For me, the reward for solving a puzzle in Obduction is a previously unexplored area opening up whereas the reward for puzzles in The Witness and Talos Principal is the satisfaction in having solved something difficult. I think it's a difference in environments being built around the puzzles (Witness and Talos) and puzzles being built around the environment (Obduction).

Atoramos posted:

It was confusing after finishing up all of the other-world trees coming back and realizing I was expected to figure out Hunrath without additional hints. Also that Russian red herring was hilarious.

Ultimately I take the story to be, for ~some reason~ the humans decided to take control of the trees, and for ~some, unrelated reason~ the Mofang eventually were driven to war with the other species. They played ping-pong to send the d20 of death back at the Mofang, destroying their planet. The d20 sent to Maray wasn't ping-ponged so CW assumed everyone was dead. If you turn off the battery, you let the tree do what it was meant to and just like the seeds saved all the people in Hunrath, it turns out Hunrath and all the other bubbles were 'saved' from their own dying planets and are given a new planet for their own. Except the Mofang cause they're all dead. Curious if anyone has a better read on the story than that.

A couple of things I would add to this:

There are actually a few Mofang that are saved and frozen in the pods so apparently they aren't all dead or bad.

CW's hosed up leg kept him from doing all the stuff you did so he had to assume everyone was dead after they never came back.

I think the planets people are saved from exist in parallel universes since that seems like the only way you can have people from all different time periods after the Arizona swap arriving from a non-hosed-up version of earth.

I also found it confusing as to why the humans decided to control the tree other than they were afraid of all the weird seeds it would drop or things it would do.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 29, 2016

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BattleHamster posted:

Please include in the OP that this game should be played on an SSD because the load times are basically my only big complaint.

It was already in there but I added some emphasis for you.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

BattleHamster posted:

There are actually a few Mofang that are saved and frozen in the pods so apparently they aren't all dead or bad.

There were specifically a few Mofang who disagreed with the ones who wanted to blow everything up so they clued in the good guys. This is what allows them to chuck the bomb back to Soria, and the good guy Mofangs are presumably the ones that are preserved. Also there's a pretty simple explanation as to why they were loving with the trees - it's human nature to want to tinker with and experiment with poo poo, it's human nature. This is also alluded to in Farley's journal when she describes the dream she had about leaving the garden alone and letting it prosper.

Cleared the game and got both endings (three if you count killing yourself with the Mofang bomb) in 12 hours. It was excellent and I really really hope this lets Cyan make more games like this.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 29, 2016

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

This game is extremely good and I'm still halfway through but gently caress the stupid red-herring box and gently caress these load times

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jia posted:

This game is extremely good and I'm still halfway through but gently caress the stupid red-herring box and gently caress these load times

I had the red herring box spoiled for me early when I asked my russian coworker to translate it for me.

The text on the back literally translates to "engage in a worthless exercise" or something similar

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Isn't the red herring machine to lower the ladder if you know the long rear end code, which you only find out if you do all of the round-about path in the same world and lower the ladder without needing the code anyhow? Basically it was to lower the ladder for the Remainders who knew the code other than the player character.

I fukken loved this game, even though I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have a SSD for the load times on the Gauntlet in the forest-world.

I do wish things were fleshed out more, the world was great-- especially the first introduction to it. I just wish they had more recordings, more books, more fleshed out world building, but it's pretty good as is. I'll take vague but excellent world building over nothing! Plus, I forget how vague the original Myst was when I originally played it before they released and I devoured the Book of Atreus as a 10 year old which explained much more of the world. I kind of wish they would do something similar with this game.

I feel bad for anyone who didn't find Harley's little secret 'vault'-- or specifically her personal journal in the vault. It helps to explain the world a bit more, like how a Mofang ran through the bubble and didn't notice it. Also, I wish they spelled out that the worlds they were fleeing from were dying-- the stone world and jungle world looked pretty perfectly fine, and Soria didn't look out of the normal since we don't know what normal looked like-- maybe those weird globes were tumors forming on the world or something? Also, the Earth-vista in Soria was surprising, as it looks somewhat normal except for a few ruins... at first I thought the Mofang had invaded it some how, as it was not clear what exactly the motives were for them to want to nuke each other. Oh well.

I love puzzle games without inventories-- basically Cyan style. And this shows them to continue to be at top form of games exactly like that. SOMA on a whole was probably a better game due to being longer/more fleshed out, but I love the chillax pure-logic puzzles from this game over the very limited puzzle / action (chance to die to monsters) blend of Frictional Games' entries.

Plus, worlds with ice cream scoops of different times and settings is exactly my jam, and this game tickles me so due to it. The main world had a definite Dark City vibe to it due to this, and I wish the other worlds had more of those ice cream scoops-- it was neat when I realized the mountain world's different colored stones were exactly due to the same phenomenon.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 29, 2016

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

jeeves posted:

Also, I wish they spelled out that the worlds they were fleeing from were dying-- the stone world and jungle world looked pretty perfectly fine, and Soria didn't look out of the normal since we don't know what normal looked like-- maybe those weird globes were tumors forming on the world or something?

Kaptar (stone world) looked pretty run-down, but Maray (jungle world) did look perfectly fine. The stone globes in Kaptar were supposed to be from swaps that had already happened, and you can see very similar globes when you make some swaps yourself.

e: Reading back, I'm pretty sure I misinterpreted your post. Oops.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

macnbc posted:

It was already in there but I added some emphasis for you.

Kaethela posted:

There were specifically a few Mofang who disagreed with the ones who wanted to blow everything up so they clued in the good guys. This is what allows them to chuck the bomb back to Soria, and the good guy Mofangs are presumably the ones that are preserved. Also there's a pretty simple explanation as to why they were loving with the trees - it's human nature to want to tinker with and experiment with poo poo, it's human nature. This is also alluded to in Farley's journal when she describes the dream she had about leaving the garden alone and letting it prosper.

I guess the part that didn't make sense to me was why they tried real hard to limit the tree from growing (e.g. the bleeder). I'm remembering it probably had something to do with the plan to get back to earth but they were apparently taking way more than enough energy to supply the battery and the rest was just bleeding out into the environment.

If it was just about tinkering I would think they would want to try promoting the tree's growth too, or leaving it to do its own thing and seeing how that turns out.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The maze puzzle is killing my enjoyment of the game. Too much backtracking and loading times.

Game was fantastic up until then.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Kaethela posted:

Kaptar (stone world) looked pretty run-down, but Maray (jungle world) did look perfectly fine. The stone globes in Kaptar were supposed to be from swaps that had already happened, and you can see very similar globes when you make some swaps yourself.

The globes I was talking about were the glowing sea-creature looking spheres in the background of Soria-- ie: Mofang's home world. When I read that the worlds the people were being saved from were 'dying' I immediated thought of those weird alien globes and how they could have made a throw away line like "these globes keep growing over more things through the walls of the dome, and the Mofang's attempts to destroy them keep failing" or such.

Of course I don't know if those things were 'normal' to the world, but it would have definitely helped spell out the idea that each of the worlds were dying and that C.W.'s scheme to RETURN to Earth was a bad idea-- something that wasn't exactly spelled out well either in this game.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I like how half the time they just call Soria 'Mofang'.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Atoramos posted:

I like how half the time they just call Soria 'Mofang'.

They could have cleared this up by saying Mofang was the Sorian dome, and Soria was the background world of Hunrath. Sort of like how Hunrath =/= Earth. Speaking of which, if it was so easy via the ice cream scoop swappers AND the roots-doorways to travel between the worlds, why hadn't anyone from Hunrath noticed that Earth was like right THERE in the background of the Sorian dome? And that it looked kinda (maybe?) hosed up?

They could have cleared up a lot of things, but oh well. We should be amazed at what we got in general-- especially in this era of No Man Sky bullshit completely unfinished releases.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 29, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

jeeves posted:

They could have cleared this up by saying Mofang was the Sorian dome, and Soria was the background world of Hunrath. Sort of like how Hunrath =/= Earth. Speaking of which, if it was so easy via the ice cream scoop swappers AND the roots-doorways to travel between the worlds, why hadn't anyone from Hunrath noticed that Earth was like right THERE in the background of the Sorian dome? And that it looked kinda (maybe?) hosed up?

They could have cleared up a lot of things, but oh well. We should be amazed at what we got in general-- especially in this era of No Man Sky bullshit completely unfinished releases.

Yea but Mofang was also the name of the species which inhabited Soria. It feels much more like a translation error than an intentional detail, but I could be wrong. It sounds like the Mofang didn't get along that great with everyone, so it's feasible nobody noticed Earth looked decimated from Soria, or alternatively they just believed enough in the time-fuckery of the place to hope there was still a chance.

Some random theory I had was, the lights around the tree turn red for the bad ending, and yellow for the good ending. Gives me the impression that the bad ending swapped the Hunrath and Mofang domes, leaving both in their initial (but dead) worlds, and the good ending pushes Hunrath further along the path it was on to get to the new eden-like planet.

Also the actual purpose for the red herring box, if anyone cares:

If you enter the code when the box is lifted up, and then hit the E button, the box smashes on the ground giving you a cheevo. There are also 60+ codes you can then enter into the box to get some secret images on the projector in Farley's house.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh man, I just got to Villein, I'm guessing I have to go back and learn their numbering system huh?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

Oh man, I just got to Villein, I'm guessing I have to go back and learn their numbering system huh?

If you're in the jungle world, that's Maray, but yes you do. Very minor sort of spoiler: there's a section at the end of Maray where you absolutely need a solid grasp of the number system. You cannot go back to the garage at that point.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Really good game.

I figured out the red herring box almost immediately. I was all, this -has- to be bullshit.

I installed the game on a fast drive.

I still hated the loads. Would it really have been that much more ball-busting to load two words at a time, the one you're in and the one you just came from?!

Did anyone else finish Villein world without unlocking the junk yard? Haha I felt so stupid, I missed the lift so many times.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

jon joe posted:

Did anyone else finish Villein world without unlocking the junk yard? Haha I felt so stupid, I missed the lift so many times.

How did you get past the Pod 222 part on Maray without getting into the junkyard?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Kaethela posted:

If you're in the jungle world, that's Maray, but yes you do. Very minor sort of spoiler: there's a section at the end of Maray where you absolutely need a solid grasp of the number system. You cannot go back to the garage at that point.

You can actually brute force your way through the entire thing its kind of weird.

Entering a very large random large number for the bridges usually works, and the pod puzzle can be brute forced by starting random and then slightly changing the pattern once you get close. Honestly it probably easier then learning the numbering system if you hate math.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Kaethela posted:

How did you get past the Pod 222 part on Maray without getting into the junkyard?

I am a genius who intuited the number system.

Just kidding.

I input Farley's 15 the best I could, given the missing nodes. It dropped me surprisingly close to the pod I needed, so from there it was trial and error. Even without understanding the # system, it still operated on patterns I could use to guide my guesses.

BattleHamster posted:

You can actually brute force your way through the entire thing its kind of weird.

Entering a very large random large number for the bridges usually works, and the pod puzzle can be brute forced by starting random and then slightly changing the pattern once you get close. Honestly it probably easier then learning the numbering system if you hate math.

Yeah, that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Every time I play for a couple of hours and come back with some problem or lingering question, it seems like folks are coincidentally talking about it here. :allears:

Sounds like I made the right choice to look at this really nice guide to the number system after being slightly befuddled by the bridge puzzle. Ultimately it seems like I knew what I was doing (experimenting by changing the base digits in each place from 0-3 and seeing what happened) without quite fully grasping the bigger picture. Though my dad started to cotton onto it when we went back to the learning machine and double-checked our solution.

One question: We very definitely finished Kaptar, but there's a locked door on the other branch of the T-sphere area, opposite the locked door that leads back into the main temple plaza, with a cell wall teleport on the other side. Does that come up later somehow or did we just miss/forget something and it's just another shortcut?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I spent like two hours at work staring at hints about the number system until it all clicked and made sense. :shrug: It did feel pretty great when I managed it, though.

quote:

One question: We very definitely finished Kaptar, but there's a locked door on the other branch of the T-sphere area, opposite the locked door that leads back into the main temple plaza, with a cell wall teleport on the other side. Does that come up later somehow or did we just miss/forget something and it's just another shortcut?

That's another shortcut.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Where's it connect to?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Where's it connect to?

I just loaded up my save to check, and apparently I never opened that door either. So disregard my answer, because I also have no idea!

This actually bums me out now, because I spent way too long aligning the stone sphere perfectly so that it would allow access to both rooms at once. So much time wasted.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 30, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

oh thank you for this!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kaethela posted:

I just loaded up my save to check, and apparently I never opened that door either. So disregard my answer, because I also have no idea!

This actually bums me out now, because I spent way too long aligning the stone sphere perfectly so that it would allow access to both rooms at once. So much time wasted.

Hah, I did the same thing. Turns out that has something to do with it. Ultimately I didn't feel too concerned with blocking off that path because I assumed I could always travel back there via the tree connection if I really needed to get back there for whatever reason.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

WHAT

How the gently caress did I miss that?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is it possible to backtrack back to the garage when you get to the cryo pods? I didn't pay attention to the explanation of the numbers, and now I'm stuck.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, I killed a ton of time rotating the sphere so that it would fit into the two doors, not realizing i could just use the staircase to access each one, and wasted a ton of time backtracking to get into the tree entrance when I powered off the entire engine instead of just disconnecting the piston connecting to the gear blocking the entrance...

I are dumb.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

Is it possible to backtrack back to the garage when you get to the cryo pods? I didn't pay attention to the explanation of the numbers, and now I'm stuck.

No, you needed to learn the system before that point. This is probably so you can't just head back and punch it in to bypass the whole puzzle but given how easy the bridges are to brute force you can quite easily gently caress yourself there.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

The maze puzzle is killing my enjoyment of the game. Too much backtracking and loading times.

Game was fantastic up until then.

This puzzle irritated me for a bit too but the rest of the game went smoothly afterwards though.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

macnbc posted:

It's out now!

Overview:
Obduction is the newest adventure game from Cyan, the studio that produced The Manhole, Cosmic Osmo and the Worlds Beyond The Mackerel, Spelunx, Uru, and a couple of lesser-known titles named Myst and Riven.
Kickstarted in 2013 and made in Unreal Engine 4 with promised VR support coming soon, Obduction aims to bring the environmental storytelling, puzzle-solving, and cheesy FMV acting of Cyan's older titles into a new generation.

So What's It About?
Much like Myst, you play in first-person perspective as you are abducted and taken to a strange alien world.
There's a launch trailer that sets the mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wCPOTK587o

Reviews:
Opencritic: 86 average
Destructoid: 9/10
Polygon: 8.5/10

FAQ:
What can I play it on?
Windows, with Mac version coming shortly. Linux version is a "maybe" for the future. The system requirements can be found here.
Cyan strongly recommends installing it on an SSD if you have one with space available.

What's this about a VR version?
There's an Oculus Rift version in development. Other platforms TBD!

Can I play this with a controller
Yep! The game supports both Xbox and Steam controllers natively.

Does the game let me free roam like Cyan's later games like Uru, or am I stuck with node-based travel like Myst 3 or 4?
Your pick! Both navigation modes are available.

Marketing:

How does publicity work again? :iiam:

Here's some screenshots and poo poo I guess. Anyone want to finish the OP for me? I've been so busy that I haven't had time.

Did I miss it, or did you create a whole OP for a game and fail to include a link to said game?

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Cartouche posted:

Did I miss it, or did you create a whole OP for a game and fail to include a link to said game?

Quoting the entire OP just to ask for a link?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/306760/
https://www.gog.com/game/obduction
http://obduction.com/

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Kaethela posted:

No, you needed to learn the system before that point. This is probably so you can't just head back and punch it in to bypass the whole puzzle but given how easy the bridges are to brute force you can quite easily gently caress yourself there.

Aw, this is a dick move for a puzzle game. :( Torn between trying to work it out using the machine or just looking up the solution.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Cartouche posted:

Please. Like I would do that.

Just ignore the edit time on the OP. Nothing to see here..

thanks

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

macnbc posted:

...and a couple of lesser-known titles named Myst and Riven.

:colbert:
Excuse me.

You might wanna check your facts there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Michaellaneous posted:

:colbert:
Excuse me.

You might wanna check your facts there.

Fact: Cosmic Osmo is Cyan's best game. It has singing pineapples and milk cartons, and your spaceship shoots q-tips. QED. :colbert:

• Locked thread