Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

More padding, in the shap of eggs, but hey. It's building the hype for Horologium proper, at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

It couldn't be worse than Ragnarok Online's rates. Even at 1000x for all rates, gaining levels in that game was a slog and a half.

I played a lot of RO for many years (I used to mod for a local community server). That game was not friendly to beginners. It was very easy to accidentally run into aggressive mobs unbeatable at your level while in many of the low level areas. Also the lack of instanced dungeons and XP-giving quests meant the only way to level up was to beat the same set of mobs over and over until you were high level enough to move somewhere else.

Imagine does not suffer from that problem but somehow manages to be even slower.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Samael posted:

There is a fan-made server in the works but actually competent people and they have gotten to the stage where character models and skills are working, I can imagine it would take another 6 months to actually see it up and running. I know a lot of people in charge of it and they know their stuff - but essentially they are building the entire game from the ground up using the remnants of data that has been given to them via the people using the chinese server and data that is given clientside, it's a miracle they even got this far.

I'm happy to make a effort post on why the SMT MMO is amazing/terrible since not a lot of people played beyond going through the slow-rear end starting areas and not getting anywhere end-game (LOL endgame, I made myself chuckle just writing that) and such.

My hopes up for nothing... alas.

Sure, I want to see the post.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

My hopes up for nothing... alas.

Sure, I want to see the post.

I may (definitely) have jaded views about the MMO, since it consumed 3 years of my life, but I think it was a good, if definitely flawed game which turned into a huge cash grab near the server closing. If you don't want to read about this dead MMO, just skip this.

The main strengths the game had was the flexibility of your class system, you had "Expertises" which allowed you to be a healer, gunner, melee dude, support class, mage, all sorts of random poo poo, now the only limit you had was how many expertise "points" you had, 100 points per rank, 1000 per class, most classes went up to class 9 with new skills/buffs at each class, the most you got on a normal character would be 26k, at level 90. Wanted to be a healer with gun skills on the side? Go ahead. Wanted to be able to rush your attackers then blast them away with a maragidyne? Got you covered.

To support this, they had a system called "Chain Expertises" which appeared when you had a combination of expertises together to form a new type of skill. For example, there was a chain expertise called "Demolition Dash" (Was called Magic Fist in JP, easily a much better name) which used "Rush" (Using a melee weapon to rush your enemy), "Destruction Magic" (Your usual agi/bufu/zio type spells) and "Magic Control" (Reduces MP and cast time of skills) expertise to make you able to Fire/Lightning/Ice Dash into enemies for massive damage! There were quite a few like this, so you could pick and choose the chain expertises you liked, or none of them and still be able to have fun and do dungeons.

A good example of this was one of my good friends thought it was a great idea to combine "Spin" (A melee only skill, knocks away your opponents, AoE) expertise and "Rapid" (A gun only, shoots your gun at a rapid fire, however can't move and any knockback cancels skill) together, so he would spin a crowd of demons with his spear, then pull out his rifle and potshot them as they aggroed him, it was hilarious but actually worked, that poo poo happened often and there was no real "best build", you could do whatever the hell you want.

The next one is the demon system. You had a demon which always followed you about, which could be your choice of hundreds, all having different passives, resistances, skills and inheritances, which you could fuse and tinker with however you please. From having a mage pixie with all -dynes and megidoloan to having a tank-like Alice who can charm and sleep your enemies to death, anything was possible. In combination with the rebirth system which is needlessly complicated but boiled down to leveling up your demon to a certain level, resetting it to 1 to get additional buffs when you level it back up again (Sounds tedious and it was, but still cool), you had almost infinite possibilities.

The last one would be the community, which was easily the best group of people I ever met in a MMO and I played a hell of a lot of them. Everyone who played regularly knew each other, log in and people would PM you asking if you was okay, wanting to do runs etc, they were clans but in essence everyone in Shinjuku Babel (The main hub area) was one big guild that was always happy to help anyone and brighten up someone's day, as well as the GMs being always involved in some weird events or pranks on the community to liven the almost always stale game for regular players. Even now, there's still a huge facebook group and forums still discussing the game (though not as active anymore) and a private server being created by those same insane people who want that community to exist again, because honestly the game is not even that good, the people around it made it good.

The main weaknesses are absolutely massive and I could be here all day with how broken and buggy the game was, especially towards the end of the server existing. Rubberbanding, disconnects within dungeons and such even with perfect connections was commonplace, there were some dungeons couldn't possibly be doing solo, so a lot of new players got lost or trapped in certain dungeons only to force disconnect out of boredom or kill themselves. Maintenances could last 2 hours or could last 24 hours depending on how big they hosed things up, which was pretty common, in some areas you could clip through the ground and get stuck, in others you would get mysteriously transported to the beginning of the area. A lot of the times most of the veteran players were almost bug testers, going through new content and contacting the GMs if they hosed up somewhere.

Secondly, would be content, or more likely absolute devoid of content. If I remember rightly, the game got a big content update nearly a year and a half before the shutdown of the server and basically nothing after that beyond a few clerical changes with loot tables and seasonal events which disappeared after a month. Which meant the game needed a strong endgame to keep people around, which boiled down to personal projects, constant running of boring dungeons to get the rarest loot for example, a 3% drop from a end boss which spawned 5% of the time in a 25 minute dungeon (Scarlet Electric Lancer, I'm looking at you.), PvP which was broken because you could build your character not take damage AT ALL because of a chain expertise giving you 50% damage taken and 100% damage reduced cash shop items and let your demon turn them into mincemeat instead and demon "plug-ins" of super rare demons which required thousands of special currency in order to get them, which included Matador, Mara, Alice, Hell Rider, Daisoujou and Astaroth.

Thirdly, was the handling of the game from the publishers and cash shop items. It turned from F2P game with Cosmetics and a few XP boosters -> F2P with damage increase gear and new stats -> You have to spend money to actually play this game unless you have very generous friends or just want to do low level runs very, very fast, which made the game impossible for newcomers and veterans alike. For example, here's some of the ways the publishers hosed you over-

They introduced a feature which called Spiritual Infusion which meant you could use the appearance of one item, the damage % increase stats/cooldown etc of another and the features of another item, requiring THREE cash shop items per slot to actually min-max your character. You had Head/Face/body/Arms/Legs/Shoes/Ring/Earring/Bracelet/Extra, which means you could use THIRTY items to min-max your character completely, which was loving ridiculously expensive and time consuming. Oh, plus in order to do any spiritual infusing at all, you needed a special chain experience to do it, which either spending months to making a specialized character to handle it for you, or handing over to someone who made that effort and hoping to god they don't steal your poo poo before they trade it back to you (which didn't happen very often, but was rare).

You also have the option to "tarot" and "soul stone infuse" every item you have with an additional effect, using a soul crystal. Soul crystals can be acquired through crystallizing demons (which is cool) with a certain class of chain expertise. Now, the catch is the best soul stones required tri-fusion of balls hard demons to acquire and you have 10 slots of items to go through, so it's another layer of bullshit in order to min-max your character and then hoping you find someone who has that chain expertise to do it for you or making one yourself, plus in order to crystallize it, you need the demon's friendship to be max which can be done through hours of caring it or cash shop items to do it instantly.

Implementing content which can be only be accessed through cash shop items (Shiva/Vishnu) or a ridiculously hard request to get one, which had a 24 hour cooldown, no thanks.

Introducing cash shop exclusive demons including boss demons to be used as your pets, which then hilariously backfired because they forgot to remove the boss only skills which were ridiculously overpowered and before they could do a maintenance to change it, a lot of the community fused them into other demons so they couldn't change it easily.

Introducing a new raid type of content which meant you could only use your demons to do damage called Diaspora, which meant demon enhancing gear which was all cash shop as well as rebirthing your demons to high levels, which, you guessed it, also costed cash shop items to do.

I think I have ranted enough about this and could spend another 1000 words ranting about CAVE, Atlus/Marvelous Online, Aeria Games and any corporate idiot involved in this game, but I spent enough time boring most people on this thread already, but at the end of the day it was still a game which deserves praise, but completely hosed by poor marketing decisions and Atlus handing it over to CAVE who knows next to nothing about loving MMOs.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly my big problem with Expertise was that there's a cap to it.

I wasn't sure how to tell someone interested in the game that all those status-inflicting Guard skills of all three categories were a waste of expertise points.

With no cap I could have told him to go hog wild. But those skills were just tremendously worthless.

Then there's the grinding you had to do for Blacksmith, and how if you wanted to do it you better have a Fairy demon out OR ELSE.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 9, 2017

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Honestly my big problem with Expertise was that there's a cap to it.

I wasn't sure how to tell someone interested in the game that all those status-inflicting Guard skills were a waste of expertise points.

With no cap I could have told him to go hog wild.

Then there's the grinding you had to do for Blacksmith, and how if you wanted to do it you better have a Fairy demon out OR ELSE.

Well, there was way of increasing expertise way later, through Diaspora (the raid I mentioned) up to 30,000 points, which enabled some very weird characters, that's for sure.

You also had items which cost little to no macca at shops anywhere which removed any excess expertise you had under level 30, so you could find out guard was poo poo tier, remove it and get on with your life.

Oh, blacksmith. Fuuuuuck that. Only chain expertise I didn't level up, you only got decent weapons with lots of slots that rivalled cash shop items at level 90 or so, really not worth it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't understand mixed characters I have to confess.

I thought the way to build there was to pick your damage stat and tell every other stat, including HP, to just gently caress off since everything will basically oneshot you later anyway.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

I don't understand mixed characters I have to confess.

I thought the way to build there was to pick your damage stat and tell every other stat, including HP, to just gently caress off since everything will basically oneshot you later anyway.

You could do that yeah, but with the items you could pick up, you could be a decent all-rounder at everything and still have a good shot of doing well in dungeons. That being said, in IMAGINE, a good offense is a great defense and if you just level VIT and try to be a tank at larger dungeons then you are in for a bad time, the same with any mainline SMT game, to be honest.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Prayer

Unless I'm forgetting something, this is the last time this route we're going to get a real chance to talk to the crew. We can come back whenever, sure, but...

Mem Aleph, the cause of it all deep within the Schwarzwelt, must be destroyed.
Good luck, and may the Lord be with you.

But we have been touched by the Great Will now. He has corrected our path and led us thus far.
Let us defeat Mem Aleph, purify the Earth, and create a paradise together.

If you can return to me, I can heal you, but if you fall in your task, nothing can be done...
Guard your life with care. You and Zelenin are our only hope...

Our wills rest in the weapons to defeat the demons, and in the armor to protect you from their evil.
We stand beside you at all times.

Yet if they transformed into a shape that can be used in our holy battle...
The demons' filth will be purified and become the foundation of our new world.
The talent our Lord has given to us will bring salvation even to demons. Hmhmhmhm...

Dent's dialogue hasn't been updated, so we'll take a look at something slightly different...

Yggdrasil is okay but not very fancy. If he didn't have his own natural Drain Gun passive, he'd just nullify it instead. He DOES start with Grand Tack as well, but Riot Gun is better so.

Except, I really don't want to just give up Kresnik's source anytime ever. But we're still gonna fuse this.

Then gonna go straight to the compendium. Output Password is a VERY important option, for sensible reasons.

Writing the password down and then resetting the game. Immediately, no save.

Then like with Ishtar/Alciel, gonna input that password except this one isn't a phrase or word.

And then we have the Yggdrasil we just made AND we keep Kresnik's source, because it's important.

This is a thing I have been doing a lot since like the end of Eridanus, and will continue to do so. Mainly for special sources or top-tier ones (like Kresnik's or, say, Ammut's).

Silence

Chaos Theme

No matter how many times you try to reach Mistress Mem Aleph... I will crush you!
The Earth... The human world... It will not fall into the hands of the light.
We demons are going to save the filthy, rotting Earth.
Do not interfere, capricious guest. You are an ignorant piece of flesh, duped by those angels.

He saw through the angels' ruses and walked through the gate of power.
He will be the standard-bearer of our new workd!
If I bring him your carcass, it will be cause for celebration!

An Honor Befitting That Name

Surt sure is a guy, I guess. He's pretty much on par with Zhu Yin rather than anything else of note.

Naturally, the big fire dude with a sword on fire is weak to Ice, drains Fire...

And does a lot of Fire attacks. He has 1500HP and jobs out pretty quickly all things considered.

Yggdrasil drat near oneshots the guy with a Charged Riot Gun as is.

He's basically just a glorified random encounter. He even drops a regular Assist forma with the usual base 25% chance or a Life Stone with a 10% rate!

Silence

> Light is shining in from somewhere...

> The light enveloped you...!

Law Theme

But with your power, there is nothing to fear.
Nothing save for Mem Aleph... and your friend.
Now that you have the Cosmic Eggs, your next task...
...if to prepare the Vanishing Point to release their energy onto the Earth.

Deep in this sector, the Mother rages and curses, fearful of your arrival.
She fears the end of all demons.
Now go. The final hour is at hand...
The hour when you march in triumph to a reborn Earth.

Alas... the elevator has been broken...
Can you fix it?

It seems we must look for an alternative route to Mem Aleph.
I believe there should be another path somewhere in this sector...
...That is an unusual forma you have obtained.
Why not return to the Red Sprite and research it further?

We can't do anything else in Horologium without doing this, so this has to be useful and important, right?

Thankfully, it keeps up the pattern of giving us the exact thing we need to continue. At this point, there aren't any hidden/locked doors that we can't open. How nice!

A Scorched Nation

And so now we can enter and explore Horologium for real. Okay, let's do this then.

i have made a huge mistake

Well, at least this is a fairly small area all things considered. Still a pain to deal with, though.

We are under the Lord's protection; we cannot fail.
Proceed to Mem Aleph, and do not falter.

With the enhancements to our suits and our love for one another, we will carve a path.
Let us go forth until we stand in the world of the Lord...!

The Fear of God

A buncha new demons to take a look at, so let's do that right now.

Cabracan is pretty bad. Sure, it resists Fire... but it's weak to Wind, and has a 300% modifier for Paralyze, Poison and Mute. Preeeeetty bad.

Cherub is exactly how he looks, though his source is a bit... weird. It teaches Megidola, Repel Wind (this is important!) and.. Hama. Base Hama. What the heck?

Inside the dark rooms, we have Nidhoggr (of course) and a few others. Mushussu is simple and effective-ish. On the one hand, weak to Wind and nothing else. On the other hand, Reflects Elec and has no other resistances either.

Yamata-no-Orochi is at least a bit more varied. Resists Fire, is immune to Ice and Poison, weak to Elec, 300% modifier for Charm and a 150% modifier for Sleep. Also, he's a Strength demon of course but his only attack skill is Bufudyne. Good job Orochi.

Ananta has one trick: he casts Dormina. Not even Lullaby. At least his base attack is 1-3 hits on a single target. Reistance-wise, he's weak to Wind and nothing else and is immune to Ice, Elec AND Expel.

But his source is ABYSMALLY bad. It teaches Diarahan, Mediarahan and Vigilant. loving hell.

A Scorched Nation

That's it for new demons for now, so we'll carry on proper-like. There's a few more dark rooms in this area along with a bunch of Unlock/Gate Search D doors but they might as well be normal doors at this point for all the difference it doesn't make.

This section is more annoying for sheer virtue of there being so many different dark rooms that are all segregated from each other. That dumb 3 tile one in the middle is the most dumb, though.

And after all that, we get to a new elevator. Hopefully this one'll be more useful or helpful or something.

On the one hand, it's more than one floor we can go to.

On the other hand, none of them are B9F. Welp, in that case we'll start with B1F and go from there.

If this keeps up, we might get to see a bit of a pattern. Also loving poo poo I don't have Medic equipped.

It takes up so much space and its not perpetually useful any more so it's on rotation! Blargh.

At least we can just walk around that particular set. Except, those paths to the left from here are another set of Poison tiles or...

A set of Sleep tiles. On the one hand, I could absolutely turn back and get Medic.

But I'm arrogant, stupid and don't want to deal with those dark rooms again so...

Kazfiel! We can use this guy now. He's pretty okay, I guess. By default, he's immune to Wind (and neutral to Fire). Ailments are a 50% rate across the board save for Rage and Bomb, which are 100% each. His source is all about the wind too; Garudyne, Wind Amp and... Resist Wind? Sure, okay.

The Fear of God

While I deal with All The Ailments, let's take a look at the new demons around here. Dakini is weak to Ice and nothing else, and resists Fire, Expel and Curse and nothing else. She uses Agidyne, Mamudo and Frolic, irritatingly enough.

Berserker could totally have appeared on the 1st floor but here he is, instead. He's weak to Fire, resists Phys and Ice, he has Tyranny by default and his source gives Luster Candy AND Phys Amp.

Huoniao is exactly how he looks. His source is better than he is, since it drops Fire Breath for Agidyne, Mutudi for Amrita and Kamikaze for, uh, Last Resort. Well, they can't all be winners.

A Scorched Nation

Having navigated past so, so many poison tiles (and that's not even all of them) we get to an Unlock E door. Huh.

And it gates off a singular AC X.

Why. Why bother with an Unlock E for that. Augh.

...Probably should've come to this terminal BEFORE going for the Unlock E door. Whoops.

At least now we have Medic equipped just in time for these damage tiles also gating off an AC X Forma.

And a regular AC Horolite over on the far left. That's everything we can access right now on this floor, but we are FAR from done with the map here.

So, B2F next then. At first glance, there's a single (relatively) giant room that's empty and... that's it.

But there's a Gate Search D door here. And we HAVE to find this sooner or later. It's not exactly hard to get to at least.

Also hey look what's right here. Nice to get this out of the way early.

Divine light shines in like the morning sun and the glow of magma seeps from the cracked ground...

> The data is corrupted, preventing you from reading further.

> You recevied a call over the radio.

It seems you've picked up some data from a black box.
I've been compiling all the data we collect. Could you please return to the deck?

We'll do that later; for now, we'll keep trying to get... somewhere.

Like this. I'm only pointing out that this is a locked door for a simple reason.

...It leads to a 3x3 poison tile room. That has nothing in it.

That is so insanely dumb and petty and ridiculous that I can't get mad at it. Like, why would you ever do that? Because gently caress you, that's why.

Only other thing on this floor that we care about right now is a second elevator. Sure, okay. Maybe this one will take us to B3F.

Or not. It's just a different part of B4F. We were off there next anyway, so might as well use this one first.

Well, this proves that it's not giving each floor its own gimmick. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, really.

Gonna ignore the straight damage tiles for now. Don't wanna have to deal with that right away.

...Well, that's mildly annoying. And by mildly, I mean that now we have to go back through B2F's poison mire later to see what's behind those damage tiles.

The Fear of God

New demon 'round these parts. Vetala has exactly one thing of note that isn't visible right now. His basic attack has a chance to inflict Poison. With a 30% base rate.

Nothing else new on the floor itself, so let's take a look at the Enemy Search demons now. Nergal is pretty simple on paper; he's weak to Ice, resists Fire, is immune to Expel, Curse, Paralyze and Poison. Skill-wise, he has Mudoon, Hamaon and Heaven's Bow which is the MT Heavy Gun skill.

I somehow got in my head for a while that he reflects Gun, so I ended up fighting him legit a few times. It's not difficult but he takes a while compared to most things. Then I stopped being stupid and starting Rock Bullet-ing him.

Nergal has a 20% chance to appear solo, and a 27.5% chance to appear with a Nidhoggr buddy.

Kama's more simple but also kind of annoying. He's weak to Fire, resists Physical and is immune to Gun and Expel. No ailment resistances. But he's immune to Gun so I can't turn him into a statue.

He ALSO has Heaven's Bow, but more annoyingly he has Charm Strike to boot. And Luck is his best stat, yes. It's very appropriate because Kama, but it's also really annoying because Charm.

Spawn rates are the same as Nergal, but repace Nidhoggr with Ananta.

A Scorched Nation

So, B4F is similar to B2F in that it is riddled with tiles but they're more flat-damage than B2F's semi-sneaky Poison stuff.

Except B4F has a Heal Spot so whoops. No longer an issue.

Gonna go back through B2F to the left-side elevator to see what lies beyond the damage tiles over yonder now.

A Summon Stone is actually genuinely more nice now than it normally would be.

More important is that there's another elevator down here as well. This is the only way to get to somewhere we haven't been yet, so this has to be progress.

Plus, look B3F! It exists!

But first we'll head on back to 1F. There's stairs down here, apparently, but I don't see anything like that in here. Might make more sense if/when we see stairs going up.

We COULD use these to get to something special, but we're gonna avoid the gently caress outta B1F for a long while.

The real reason we're back here is that there's a hidden door here. It can only be opened from this side, yeah, so we just unlocked our first proper useful shortcut since Eridanus. Thank loving God.

Also, level 66! Let's make Ongyo-Ki now, sice he's kind of awesome. He's a special fusion of the three other guys.

This is a good Ongyo-Ki base, but...

Yeah, this is better (albeit still not the best!). If for whatever reason you remove that Reflect Gun passive, he nulls it instead. Expel being his only weakness is both annoying and not a big deal.

Sadly, his Source does NOT give Repel Gun fixed but it could be a Bonus Skill which would be very, very good.

Anyway, B3F! Let's see where this leads, shall we?

It's a bit out of a walk to get to these, but the Bead Chain is still very nice. If anything, it's a bit more surprising that there's just one.

And then through that Gate Search door, we can grab a Great Chakra. That's also very, very nice.

And 2 Somas. Two! Well then, don't mind if I do.

Can open a... shortcut(?) from this side between another Heal Spot and Terminal. At least now we can see that the stairs ARE in fact actual stairs.

One-way door from the stairs that sticks us with these ominous green spots. That really looks like some kind of gross waste or, like, bile or something.

But it isn't. It's a conveyer belt.

This part of B2F is a giant tedious, ridiculous conveyer belt maze. Whew boy.

Oh and there's a few holes around here.

...Oh gently caress, I forgot. Holes didn't appear in Grus either! Thankfully.

There aren't too many holes here or anything, but there are so many ways of getting stuck needing to use the one over on the right. No other way out of that area.

The Fear of God

A couple new demons around here as well. Let's take a look at them now, shall we?

Aside from what you can see here, Cerberus has a 300% Charm modifier and a 150% Sleep modifier. His basic attack has a 10% chance to inflict Poison and outside of very special Password demons, he's the only source that guarantees Preparedness.

Ganesha is a wee bit more/less intereting. The usable version has these skills but adds Endure to it as well (it is such a giant relief that the enemy version does not have that...). If we make one and remove the Repel Wind passive, he still nulls it at least.

So many conveyer belts. So, so many...

There's also the world's most obvious hole here if we were to beeline for those stairs. Remember what the notes in Bootes said!

"Take the long road" always applies.

So we're gonna do just that, and after about 30 minutes of tediously navigating through all these conveyer belts for the sake of the map, we get to another heal spot.

And more importantly, another terminal. This is much more useful when playing, considering how close it is on paper to the previous one.

But it's a godsend from my perspective.

Stairs are just here around the corner from the terminal.

They lead through a small, super linear series of mini-corridors that lead to B3F in the end.

I heard you'd collected all the Cosmic Eggs, but...
You won't have your way with the Earth or Mistress Mem Aleph!

He's solid. I know he won't betray us demons.

But in truth, they can do nothing without a command from on high.
There is nothing to fear.
And humans? Incoherent creatures who believeth different things from morning to evening.
A pack of fools who drive themselves to ruin and seek the cause elsewhere.
We must correct these errors.
Yes... we must take back the Earth by the power of Mistress Mem Aleph...!

For some reason, there's another Heal Spot right here as well. It's not like it takes very long to get here from the previous one.

There's even a terminal as well. I dunno, I don't get this.

Ah well, at least there's stairs here that lead down to B4F again.

Gate Search E's getting a decent use here, on par with Grus. Makes sense.

...Not been used for anything worth a poo poo so far, mind you, but it's there.

And then there's ANOTHER Heal Spot and Terminal right here as well! This one I do understand the logic of, at least.

Nothing else over in that area, so we've gotta go over here.

That one way door isn't a big deal, thankfully.

I suppose teleports here were inevitable. Welp, let's deal with this then.

This is ALMOST better than Grus. Almost.

The Fear of God

We'll worry about that in just a moment, though. Last two new demons are around now. Lilith here is semi-unexpected as a random encounter demon (though not unprecedented). Regardless,she's weak to Gun, resists Fire, Ice, Wind and Curse, drains Elec AND is immune to Charm.

Her skills of note include Marin Karin and Charming Bolt. Which is INFINITELY WORSE than you think it is. It is Mazionga with a 25% chance to Charm. It costs 65 MP. Maziodyne costs 30; Mazionga costs 18.

what the everloving gently caress

Rangda is, well, Rangda. She reflects Phys and Gun and is weak to Elec. She has Debilitate by default, even in her enemy demon form. And she really likes to use it to set up Magarudynes.

A Scorched Nation

Speaking of Rangda, and all the teleports, we stumbled upon a Rangda here who tells us something important.

I wasn't teleported here last time, I don't reckon...
Maybe the warp I'm thinkin' on was the next one over.

This is a very big, very important hint. Very important.

Better be careful, Hitonari, or you'll be teleported in circles.
Is there some other trick to this...? I keep ending up here...

There is, in fact. And it's really, really dumb!

So, this teleporter here in the top-right corner? It drops you in the bottom-left room. Except on a full moon.

That puts this weird red glow on the wall.

Taking that one teleporter on a full moon makes it send you somewhere completely different. Why? Because gently caress you, that's why!

The difference between this and the funny dumb poison room is that this one is both mandatory and actively bullshit.

Sure, Rangda tells you about it. Sure, that one guy hints at it, but that's it. And Rangda herself is gated behind a teleporter!

The biggest good thing about that dumb idea is that we only need to deal with it the once. And that really is not exactly much of a real high point or anything.

And then over here there's just 3 one way doors that each lead to teleporters. Sure, okay, so long as they don't have a dumb extra gimmick attached.

Mercy of mercies, they don't. The middle teleporter over on the left is the only one we need to take and that brings us to an area that lets us open another shortcut to skip further past this.

This field where Mem Aleph makes her lair is proving to be quite a challenge.
But the Lord, His followers and Zelenin are all on our side.
We must surely be more than halfway to Mem Aleph.
Our resolve shall clear a path!

That item container you probably noticed contains 2 Balms of Rising. Not too shabby, can't really complain too much about that.

Crisis

Hitonari, demons await you further in.
Please proceed with caution.

A Scorched Nation

So, I guess B5F is gonna be dangerous or something. Fortunately, there's an elevator right here as well that only lets us go to 1F...

Which is kind enough to give us a perfect shortcut from the entrance back to those stairs down to B5F. Which explains nicely why that third heal spot/terminal in quick succession was there.

Prayer

Also gonna take a quick jog back to Irving to see what new things we have, in case we got something useful.

Alas, the Monopole is not that. It's boring, it's basic and its only skill has a super misleading name. Weakshot is just heavy Gun damage on a single target (base power of 150).

AT Horolite x2, Brute Fur Coat x2 (Berserker) and Divine Column x1 (Cherub).

Gigasmash is kind of worse and also kind of not. Shock Shot is Weakshot but it does Elec damage instead. AC Horolite x2, Drake Eyeball x2 (Mushussu) and Drake Kaina x2 (Nidhoggr).

A Land Bringing About Life

So, yeah, anyway, Horologium B5F is... very different to what came before, huh? If this is like with Asherah, whatever waits is going to jump if we take a step ahead.

Silence

And, sure enough!

There's no need to hold back. C'mon over.

Now me, on the other hand...

Chaos Theme

I don't know how/why Jimenez can go Super Demon here, but I'm not gonna complain too much about it. It's a fairly simple design, but it's also really cool.

I like it too. Hahaha...
But man... I never thought I'd have to beat you.
I beat tons of demons, and now I'm fighting humans...
No... It's rude to all the folks back on Earth to call weak-asses who gave up life on their own "human."

But I guess those're your true colors, huh? Well, guns, swords, choose your poison...
It ain't gonna stop my claws.
Now c'mon, Tadano. Let's finish this.
I'll stomp you and carry out my real duty...
The duty to save those poor schmucks who had the bad luck to be born human!

:siren: Soil Jimenez :siren:

:siren: Take The Shield, Raise The Spear :siren:

So, Jimenez is actually a pretty tricky fight on paper. He can be a right bastard depending on what moves he decides to use.

Hellfire is on the lower-side of things he can do, since it is just a more powerful Maragidyne.

A much, MUCH more powerful Maragidyne but still.

Left Hand is a very simple skill, but don't let him do it a lot!

It's just Luster Candy with a different name but if he gets to +4 then that's one of three triggers for Bad Times.

Shuffler is just multi-target Bites the Dust. It's more annoying than it sounds, because his basic attack is a single hit on everyone. Fortunately by the time he really starts adding this to his repertoire, his basic attack is phased out entirely.

Chaos Tack is a very, VERY powerful Gun skill. It deals a ton of damage to random targets but it has a nasty secret bonus: it deals a lot more damage to anyone that isn't Chaos aligned! Yikes!

Dark Matter is his final skill and it's a bit of a bastard, mostly because it's Almighty of course, but there are only three scenarios in which he uses it:

1. He gets to buff to +4
2. His HP dips into the Critical (sub-25%) range
3. You use a Reflect skill/item

Note that despite whatever you read on GameFAQs, number 1 of those does not guarantee it every turn. It doesn't even make it likely; it's just A Possibility.

So, Jimenez's stats are pretty simple. He has 8000HP, infinite MP, 53 Strength, 53 Magic, 53 Vitality, 50 Agility and 53 Luck (he's slightly worse at being an SMTIV demon than your average SMTIV demon basically). Resistance wise, he drains Fire, resists Gun, is immune to Expel and Curse (but notably not all ailments) and he's weak to Ice.

Except he just drained Ice. Jimenez is NOT a barrier change boss. Well, not really. Once his HP dips below 25%, at the start of the next round his Ice weakness just changes into a Drain with no fanfare or mention or anything. It does NOT change back at any point.

The End

Aside from that one wrinkle, the biggest issue by far is how often he uses Chaos Tack and who gets hit by it. Dark Matter is also very nasty if (big if) it ever happens.

No items, piss-all Macca but 592,000 EXP. That's not too shabby I guess? Surprised/annoyed that he doesn't drop anything though.

End

Silence

No... We still have... Mother... Mem Aleph...

This time... as a demon... from the start...

Law Theme

The power of light cannot fall to the forces of darkness.
...You are all right, yes? I hope you are not being needlessly sentimental about it...

...I knew well his like on Earth.
Now, let us hurry to create a new world of light.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 15, 2017

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

B5f here marks the actual start of Horologium in my eyes, and the music is just lovely, a really somber piece that actually made me feel a little sentimental about coming to the end of the game despite all my issues with it.

Also bye Jimenez. No real fanfare for his death, but I suppose that's just how it goes when you're on the opposite alignment.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

This is just gross. Humanity's best and brightest have turned their back on their mission. How could someone decide that humanity is so beyond saving that total devastation or total subjugation is a better option? I'm really having a hard time sympathizing with anyone who would throw away their humanity (ie Jimenez and Zelenin) or those who'd side with them in earnest.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I started a fresh game of SMT 4 just to spite this very lp.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

SweaterGear posted:

This is just gross. Humanity's best and brightest have turned their back on their mission. How could someone decide that humanity is so beyond saving that total devastation or total subjugation is a better option? I'm really having a hard time sympathizing with anyone who would throw away their humanity (ie Jimenez and Zelenin) or those who'd side with them in earnest.

At least in her case, she is just being brainwashed. If she wasn't, she would be on humanity's side.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Jimenez is a remarkably straightforward fight. No tricks or bullshit (unless you use a reflect item), he just hits like a loving truck. :rip:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

theshim posted:

(unless you use a reflect item)

The one cardinal rule of SMT: Strange Journey - using a reflect skill/item against a boss is the quickest way to get a Game Over.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

theshim posted:

Jimenez is a remarkably straightforward fight. No tricks or bullshit (unless you use a reflect item), he just hits like a loving truck. :rip:

He will inflict Bomb on your whole party IIRC. When I first fought him I was under-leveled. under-equipped and had a lovely party. It took me forever to chip his HP down and sometime after his weakness goes away he starts using some move that puts Bomb on everyone.

But as long as you aren't weak to Gun and can deal out good damage, he's pretty easy.

SweaterGear posted:

It's possible Jimenez simply went crazy after fusing with Boo. Notice how Chiaki in Nocturne similarly goes completely off the deep end after fusing with a demon. Human-demon fusion seems unwise.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 10, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

KataraniSword posted:

The one cardinal rule of SMT: Strange Journey - using a reflect skill/item against a boss is the quickest way to get a Game Over.

This seems to be a rule in SMT games in general from what I've heard. To the point where using them is pointless.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I can think of a good example in Persona 3 where the "boss loses its poo poo" is actually preferable to his standard attack rotations so you Makarakarn up. Aside from that though, eh. Not really wise most of the time.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
One thing that's important to note is that SJ only really punishes using reflect items/skills. Having demons with innate reflect on your team is A-ok.

For reference, Jimenez will nearly oneshot himself with Chaos Tack on a Doppleganger :unsmigghh:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I can't believe they destroyed the elevator and are making you go through 9 floors of Horologium!

It's really obvious but it amuses me that they go out of their way to taunt you with the elevator. Horologium is such a dick. :allears:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

SweaterGear posted:

I will say now, the Chaos path isn't much better in this regard. But holy gently caress the game goes heavily black and white in regards to the Chaos/Law paths. Seriously, it's almost disgusting how badly they dropped the ball here. At least the Neutral path isn't on the side of "pants on head retarded" like the other two are.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

This seems to be a rule in SMT games in general from what I've heard. To the point where using them is pointless.

Digital Devil Saga is mostly fine with it since shields are a big part of battle mechanics in that one. There's still a handful of bosses that do the "taking their ball and going home because you won't play by their rules" as-said-by-Dragonatrix routine.

I found the shield items quite useful in Persona 3 too, it's sorta balanced by the fact that they're quite rare and once you get access to the spells with the same effect most bosses already know Megidolaon.

Petiso fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 10, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Petiso posted:

Digital Devil Saga is mostly fine with it since shields are a big part of battle mechanics in that one. There's still a handful of bosses that do the "taking their ball and going home because you won't play by their rules" as-said-by-Dragonatrix routine.

I found the shield items quite useful in Persona 3 too, it's sorta balanced by the fact that they're quite rare and once you get access to the spells with the same effect most bosses already know Megidolaon.

Unless you go through some ENTIRELY complex fusion and evolution chart step by step to get them early and then proceed to break the entire game over your knee.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kemix posted:

I will say now, the Chaos path isn't much better in this regard. But holy gently caress the game goes heavily black and white in regards to the Chaos/Law paths. Seriously, it's almost disgusting how badly they dropped the ball here. At least the Neutral path isn't on the side of "pants on head retarded" like the other two are.

Chaos is not any better because it means you basically ignored the rest of the game. You have been fighting Chaos the enitre game. They have done nothig but demonstrate supreme hostility to you and the rest of humanity.

There's no reason to go Chaos whatsoever unless you are a particularly egotistical and stupid psychopath.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Chaos is not any better because it means you basically ignored the rest of the game. You have been fighting Chaos the enitre game. They have done nothig but demonstrate supreme hostility to you and the rest of humanity.

There's no reason to go Chaos whatsoever unless you are a particularly egotistical and stupid psychopath.

Putting aside how neither of these options are great, you seem to see Chaos and Law as just siding with demons or angels specifically, rather than pursuing what mindset you choose to follow. You can still agree with someone's viewpoint (to a degree) even when you're the worst of enemies.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
if anything, chaos is the alignment of in-fighting so it makes more sense for chaos to fight chaos

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The truth of SMT is chaos is always dicks, Law is always dicks if you don't fit in their box, and Neutral is often kind of underwhelming.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Persona 3 does have the one Tartarus boss that is mean and will spam Megidolaon if you use the mirror item at a point where you're not used that kind of thing from a Tartarus enemy and that generally will 1HKO your average party set up in a first run. There are definitely harder bosses in the game, but World Balance just feels spiteful.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

it was very brief before but now im gonna HIGHLY RECOMMEND listening to this

Alright, so now we have a lot more Horologium left to go.

So, fun fact about Horologium. It introduces several new dungeon gimmicks. Yes, really.

Yes, there is more than that one stupid Full Moon thing. And here's the second and it's arguably worse:

Invisible floors. Whenever these things are involved your map is useless until you reveal them.

Yes, your map in parts of Horologium - and only Horologium - actively lies to you.

This is so, so awful. I personally think the Full Moon teleport is actively worse because that's a one-and-done thing, so this you can eventually get used to. Sort of.

But the Full Moon thing DOES have stuff that helps you figure out what you're supposed to do outside of pure luck. Because your map lies to you here, you could easily miss that these exist for the longest time.

The Fear of God

Since there's even less in the map to see than normal, let's take this opportunity to talk about these here new demons. Hecatoncheir is really, really, REALLY boring for a level 70 demon. He resists Phys and is weak to Ice. That's it. His basic attack can hit 1-3 times on a single thing but that's all. He is so, so boring.

Hresvelgr, meanwhile, is relatively quite terrifying! She's weak to Gun and Fire, but she compensates for it by reflecting both Ice and Wind! Sadly, her Strength is her dumpstat and her Magic is mediocre. Her best stat is that she has 51 Agility, which is so, so not good.

Also her source is the earliest guaranteed Cold World source. It's worth even less now than it was when King Frost had it, to be honest.

Fenrir isn't quite Hresvelgr, but he is fairly varied. He's weak to Wind, resists Fire and Ice, is immune to Curse, Petrification and Paralysis and he drains Electricity for good measure.

His default skills are Charge, Madness Crush and Retaliate. His source is ALMOST identical, but it drops Charge for... Ice Breath...? What.

Okay, so, we have these stairs in the bottom-right corner of the map. These are pretty important so it's a fairly good idea to not miss these.

At least not if you want what this gives, and you very well might! It's a very handy rare forma...

And also doubles as letting us finish our first Horologium floor altogether!

We're going to immediately turn that Rare Forma into whatever it gives us from Irving.

Enemy Search C adds a whole 5 demons to Enemy Searches. These 5 are identical in all Sectors but the formation for the fight can vary depending on the Sector. Appearance rates are also identical, save for how Antlia/Bootes are 20% each because no Fiends.

Speaking of which, getting this has no effect on Fiend spawn rates at all. It was a total of 5% before; it's a total of 5% now.

We'll look at what Enemy Search C gives later on, because it's very important. Very, very important.

We've been able to kind of see some of the equipment this lets us make since, uh, the start of Fornax really. Just keep that one in mind for later.

But we'll get to that when we get to that. We've got B5F over and done with now.

Like, actually completely done with. I do like how the map here is mirrored, but that's not really all that helpful because it's not super-obvious for a while.

B6F looks an awful lot like B9F did in the brief moments we saw that before.

Except it ALSO introduces a new dungeon gimmick!

Grus had illusory walls that were sometimes real. B6F of Horologium has walls that aren't walls until you're approaching. They don't get marked as walls on the map though.

They're just left as unexplored squares on the map, which is one of the most irritating things imaginable. At least it is if you're me. I dunno, I just hate having these gaps on my map!

Mercifully, that only takes up a small area but every gap in that map is a pillar of lava.

Surt turns up on B6F, but only on B6F for some reason? I dunno, he might turn up elsewhere but he's pretty rare. Probably because he's level 77 and therefore the highest level of all random demons unless I'm forgetting something.

He's basically identical to lovely miniboss Surt except he has way, way less HP. That's it.

So, the outside is a minefield of teleports that all dump you on this one square. This is almost a bizarre mercy but you never really know at first blush if you're done or not, because it's an invisible floor section as well.

So we're going to ignore the gently caress out of that for now, and check out what's over here instead.

...Well this was worth a Gate Search E door.

Y'know, I genuinely thought this and the Gumonji Mirror were Gold Formas but I guess I remembered wrong. My bad!

But, yeah, the Raven Stone is our final rare forma and so you know exactly what it's going to give us:

This is a giant godsend, even though it's not used for any mandatory sections. There is an entire area that might as well be loving impossible without this. It's such bullshit and I hate it.

But that's also something we'll worry about later. For now, we have one of the possible avenues of progress to deal with.

Sadly, this brings us back inside to an area riddled ever-more with rising lava pillars. Far, far too many of them. It's just annoying, really.

At least there's a heal spot and terminal here if you need them. How bizarrely generous.

Prayer

Gonna use that Terminal to hand over all these things we've got to make some new gear with Irving. I'm not promising it's all good or worthwhile, mind. Sol Knife speaks for itself on that front really; AT Horolite x2, Brute Fur Coat x2 (Berserker) and Raptor Sun x2 (Huoniao).

Masamune should by all accounts be really good rather than a middling trash tier sword. AT Horolite II x2, Femme Necklace x5 (Dakini) and Haunt Ribs x4 (Vetala).

Earth Mail is on paper really good, right? It has a great defense upgrade, grants an immunity and only one weakness. But having a weakness at all now is a very bad thing!

DF Horolite x2, Drake Kaina x2 (Nidhoggr) and Wilder Earth x1 (Cabracan) if you really want to take that risk.

Different weakness, slightly higher defense version of the Earth Mail. Just look up ever so slightly.

DF Horolite II x2, Night Snake x5 (Lilith) and Snake Hoods x3 (Ananta).

Alice has a Really Good source; Black Rider is pretty okay. Remember, he's not really weak to Fire at all. If I could be bothered to swap Resist Wind for Concentrate, he'd be really really hard to kill.

As is, he's just semi-hard to kill.

A Scorched Nation

Alright, so back to Horologium we go! On the way back in, I noticed that I missed stuff over here.

It's not really a shortcut over here or anything, but it is helpful anyway? Kind of?

I did also miss these Chakra Pots in the bottom corner. They're definitely worth not missing. I mean, sure, we CAN buy them from Irving but this is way easier.

Oh and there's an easily missed hidden door here.

It conveyer belts us into a hole. That's my favourite.

And thankfully helps us finish off the floor altogether.

This is the only way to access the upper half of B3F but thankfully there's nothing here that necessitates running back to B2F and dropping down a lot.

There's just a four-way intersection at the center and 3 give you things at the end. This is the only one that is an item container though; the other 2 are just crappy fixed Gold forma.

The fourth path gives us the rest of the floor's map, and our way back to the main path.

Speaking of our way back to the main path... after navigating the maelstorm of annoyance that is the teleporter minefield, we get to this elevator. At long last.

And it only takes us to B9F, huh? Something about this seems too easy...

Well, at least we can see Mem Aleph's chamber from here?

Oh and speaking of too easy, B9F has no random encounters. I don't mean no new ones, I mean none. Period. At all.

There's a couple teleports here as well, but this one just lets you go where you need to. The other one brings you back here.

Gonna head on up to B6F, since we're on the opposite side altogether now.

Ignore the giant open area in the top-right for now. That's barren and empty at the moment.

At first glance it just dicks you over by giving you a tiny corridor with two lava pillars. Fortunately, there's a hidden door here.

This leads us nicely to the stairs down to B7F.

...Which is a tiny linear corridor leading to this switch. Uh, sure?

The switch doesn't do anything other than move the... pillar? it was on. And there's more obstructing this spot still anyway.

I see what the deal is here, so we'll head on back to B6F and see if we can find the rest of it.

This might get a little bit difficult to follow so just bear with me for a moment and enjoy this Megidola Stone.

We'll ignore the rest of this area for now and open this door instead. This door is important.

There's a switch here that does NOT move a pillar. It does something more important...

I sure hope this is true, because if so this is a goddamn godsend.

And sure enough! We can actually get to places again now.

This door was actively adjacent to a lava pillar, so it must lead to something really good right?

Haha, funny story about that!

Anyway NOW we'll head back to the area where we got the Megidola Stone and find a new elevator.

This lets us go to B7F, of course, but it also lets us go to 1F, huh?

Which is important because it lets us open the last shortcut. Handy, that!

No point in taking the elevator to B7F though. It puts you in a 2 square corridor that... has nothing in it. Odd.

Oh well, now that we've turned the magma off on B6F we can access the stairs by the terminal. I guess that will have to do instead.

As an added bonus, we're done with the floor('s map) now to boot.

To inspire me, one who is not human... Zelenin is incredible!
Tadano, let us soundly defeat Mem Aleph!

Because the second half of Horologium apparently has to have a new gimmick on every floor, B7F has one as well.

It's not so much an invisible floor this time, at least. You CAN see the floor itself properlike. It's just invisible walls instead. The map thing from before still applies though.

There IS more to this gimmick than you'd think from that at least. For now, we've just gotta go through here.

It's where the second switch here is.

But there's still at least one more to go. Now we need to figure out how to get there.

There's nothing else we can do here, so we'll head on over here to where there's a Phase Shifter. We're gonna be going to Sanctum B.

It's a big ol' area in comparison to before, and it lets us get to this Great Chakra, helpfully.

It also lets us open a door here. The doors are constant through all spaces, as you might recall. This IS important, yes.

Splendid work. They say he was once your dear friend, but in his new state, he was only an enemy.
You were not wrong in the least.
If the demons of darkness were, for argument's sake, able to remake the Earth...
It would be a world filled with souls like his... How ghastly.

You definitely noticed that terminal behind Azrael. Don't even pretend you didn't. There's a heal spot just here for good measure.

And this. It's still very nice to just get given one of these no questions asked, y'know?

They are therefore beyond our salvation.
...In truth, the humans have gone a long way toward a similar state.
In order to establish love and order on Earth... we may have to employ harsh methods...

Not to mention the evil energy that fills this place...
Even I, who no longer know fear, am trembling.

Also Ganesha, and it's actually behind you. Because you can't get here from the other path. Yeah, I dunno.

How did they manage that without the enemy noticing?
There must be some path that leads directly here...

Well, we can open this hidden door from here at least. Now the final shortcut back here IS open for realsies. This might be useful later, I guess.

But first we'll switch on over to the Sanctum A. We need this one to get anywhere else now.

Like this. This GS E door is only accessible here.

It lets us get this and a single AC X!

That's it.

Boy I remember when I thought that the E doors would be, uh, good. And that was validated for a while, thanks to Beads of Life.

The Fear of God

So, how about these here new demons, eh? There's one for each sanctum and one more in the original space for good measure. Pales is semi-boring and exactly how he looks, though his enemy version is the second and last demon to have Dry Sea. Which is something, I guess?

Usable Pales drops it for Vigilant instead. That's cool with me. Also his source gives Repel Ice. Since we got Drain Wind earlier, you might think that it's nice seeing an actual SMT game that finally acknowledges that Repel is better than Drain in, uh, every way. It kind of both does and doesn't; it's weird and dumb. It basically gives them both around about the same time for some bizarre reason.

Fafnir is pretty solidly decent Strength demon. He's not that exciting but he's pretty okay. He resists Phys and Gun and is weak to Elec and Wind. Also 300% Mute modifier.

And lastly, somewhat rarely we have Tzitzimitl. She's immune to Expel and Curse and that's it. No other weaknesses or resistances by default. She DOES have Drain Elec as a passive but is neutral if you remove it.

Her source does not give it by default. Welp.

So, we've got a door over here that we couldn't get to before.

It lets us get to yet another switch. Sure not gonna complain here.

'Specially because it lets us continue onwards now.

There's another terminal and heal spot up here for good measure, and the stairs down to B8F.

Okay, so real quick: the map for this floor is a loving tedious pain in the rear end. Gotta phase shift for each area and then head on up and back here from various angles and there isn't even any extra items or anything. It's just about 4 whole tiles that can only be mapped this way.

gently caress this map, jeez.

Moving onwards, B8F doesn't really introduce a new gimmick per se. At least not in the same way. This happens thrice as we walk from one side to the other. It does this every single time you enter the floor. Every time. Despite that, this floor is the best place to grind stuff like Onogoro Stones just because there's so many Forma spots.

O Lord, give your children strength to fight.

...Had you not ended his life, both he and the world would have been on a course to destruction.
You are the warrior of salvation. Go to Mem Aleph with that honor in your heart.

So, we're here at long last, huh?

A set of stairs leading down to B9F... It's not our first time getting to B9F, but it's the first time we've walked there.

Random encounters are still disabled down here, so we get a nice reprieve.

Also a fair few item containers just to collect a few things, that we may or may not need.

Well, this one leans much closer towards "may not." Probably.

A hidden door right here, next to one last terminal and heal spot.

And that's all we were missing to complete the map...

Sadly, we can't reactivate the elevator or anything. It's just permanently broken; shame too, it'd make a really good final shortcut.

Oh well, that's not important any more. What matters is that through this door, Mem Aleph awaits...

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I don't remember if Mem Aleph is actually behind that door or if you're just pulling a fast one on us, but wow I can't believe we're at the end already. I think I have a higher opinion of Horologium than I should because halfway through it I just gave up and used maps on Gamefaqs to lead me through it. That music is still great though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i seem to have blocked out the lower half of horologium cause i didn't remember any of that

looking forward to cheesing mem aleph tho

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Can't wait to see what excuse the game has for not ending this time.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The truth of SMT is chaos is always dicks, Law is always dicks if you don't fit in their box, and Neutral is often kind of underwhelming.

So true. I haven't played a mainline SMT game in ages, but reading SMT LP's, the way the alignments are handled always struck me as a lost opportunity to explore some nuanced themes that you don't normally see in media.

... on the other hand, being real here, most people who play SMT are just wanting Pokemon with gods and monsters, so they deliver on that front, at least?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pieuvre posted:

... on the other hand, being real here, most people who play SMT are just wanting Pokemon with gods and monsters, so they deliver on that front, at least?

why do you think people in 1992 played it?

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

why do you think people in 1992 played it?

Sweet '90s-era character designs, of course.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Anime Reference posted:

Can't wait to see what excuse the game has for not ending this time.

It's worse.

You get the law ending.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GimmickMan posted:

It's worse.

You get the law ending.

EXTENDED BAD ENDING, HOOOOOOOOOO!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I'd call this a special bonus update but really if you think about it, that was yesterday.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Bit of a heads up right off the bat here that this update maaaaay just be a little bit NWS. I don't know why you would be reading SMT stuff at work but, uh...

ANYWAY!

Prayer

So, before we go and deal with Mem Aleph we've got a few loose ends left dangling. We should tie them all up nicely now that we've got a chance.

Please give me the data you found.
This data might be very helpful in enhancing the Demonica's functions.
Wait here, please.

> Gekko took the data he received from you and took it to the lab.

> .........

> Gekko returned from the lab.

Copernicus is super-niche and arguably comes too late to be really useful. It guarantees that any fusion will be an Accident. This DOES have very niche uses yes - why hello there easy Zealot fusions - but it's ultimately just here to make completing the Compendium easier.

That's the last of the black boxes we needed to collect.
Thanks for all your hard work out there, Crewman Hitonari.

Let's see, so if we're going to do this in a sensible order, what's been waiting the longest now? Why, Thoth of course!

We need to leave the Sprite again for Horologium regardless, so let's get the harder one done first.

Encounter

Huh? What am I talking about? Don't act like you don't know!
You came for this--the other half of that tough book!
Here, man! Take it!

> The right and left halves of the Book of Thoth suddenly drew together!

> The two turned into one book!

Man... that was an awful lot of work, though. As you can see, I'm a fiery guy.
If I hadn't been careful, I coulda ended up handing you a lump of charcoal.
Though I guess in the end, I didn't need to worry about that...
See, that book doesn't burn.

Man... the god of books sure does some strange things.
Oh... uh, I'm done here, huh?
Well, I gave you what I was supposed to. Do whatever you're going to with it.

> The demon left...

Let's take this on over to Thoth now, shall we?

A Land Controlling Roads

Hurm... excellent, my boy! I knew you could do it.

Huh, so we got Monday instead of Saturn(us) for Saturday? Can't say I expected that one. Feels weird to leave Saturn and the Sun out, but weekend so I guess it makes sense. Kind of.

And with that, I'm fresh out of riddles.
I could, of course, make it much more difficult than this...

Y'know, I'm pretty sure that Thoth is just trying to save face here.

You felt it, didn't you? In those riddles of moderate difficulty...
The splendid sensation of searching for and finding the riddle's answer on your own.
That itself is wisdom.
Knowledge takes shape in this world by the agency of action.

Hurm... I think I can trust a wise man like you with this sword.
Take it, my boy.

This is our "real" reward for this sidequest chain and it is very worth it!

Because of its unparalleled power, I've made sure people missing a few screws don't swing it around...
But I don't think I have to worry about that with you.

Oh, so it's a Law-aligned weapon, huh? Makes sense. Hopefully we're gonna put this to great use!

Or maybe it's Neutral-specific instead? This is less clear than it should be.

If you believe you are equal to the lord of the heavens, take up this sword.
...My role ends here.
From now on, I'll play the part of an old man watching the stage from his comfy seat.

Show me, my boy!

> Thoth left...

So, the Divine Sword IS Neutral only and while it is weaker than the Amanomi Sword, it's only 2 points of Attack lower.

Really, the three top alignment weapons are all very good but Vajra is technically the worst and the best simultaneously.

Notably, the passages do not give us the password in the order we received them.

It's actually kind of a mini-riddle in its own right, in theory.

In practice, the solution is VERY obvious.

Moon-Tyr-Odin-Thor-Frey.

Or, Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday.

The password itself is just the week as well. I guess according to this Sunday is the first day of the week. Huh.

...Well, this is pretty darn good! Set here is very special; his level is lower than his base but his stats are higher. He has a very different set of skills as well, huh? Hey, dumb Anthony sidequest: this is how you do this right!

Resistances are identical to how they look here. That base attack DOES petrify - its a base 5% rate. His source gives War Cry, Void Wind AND Void Elec! Pretty nice, indeed.

Can't actually buy him until we're level 83 though (spoilers: not happening).

A Scorched Nation

Alright, so into Horologium we go yet again. We need to find Fafnir and these stairs are one of two ideal ways to get to one. We could go right instead, but B1F here has something very important.

...So, the rest of B1F is a gigantic dark room maze and it loving sucks. A lot. It starts off being relatively nice and generous, though. Yes, really.

Encounter

But first, here's Fafnir. Nice and quick.

...Though I could guess, from thine odd behavior...
'Tis something thou desirest.
That's right.
Ah! Honesty becomest thou.
And? What be thy wish?
Give me part of your body.

'Tis understandable that thou couldst scarcely pass up a mechanickal dragon...
...Very well, thou mayst have it. But first, a question...
Wherefore dost thou want it?

For some reason, the word "wherefore" just trips people up in like every context ever? It means why. That's it.

Mere curiosity.
Thy will is pure and plain... A line drawn in the depths of a shallow world.

...Then I shall tell thee the secret of the mechanickal dragon.

Thou mayst select one of these.
Now... choose.

Honestly, the screws are the only wrong answer. Scales are probably the best one to collect here, in my opinion, but circuit is maybe the best for general play. You'll see.

I can't have them all?
The secrets of a mechanickal dragon be generally too far advanced for any human...

Give me the circuit.
'Tis thine.

Son of man, where wilt thou go with these secrets of the mechnickal dragon in hand?
What doth thy will reflect 'gainst the wavering bonds of this world?
...Show me.

> The demon left...

A Scorched Nation

...Y'know, that door being a one-way door makes a lot of sense but I still dislike it on principle. Back to 1F via the elevator and we'll take a brief moment...

Prayer

> You hand Fafnir's parts over to Tanaka...

Ooh...! So this is Fafnir's...!
What am I doing just standing here!? I've got materials to analyze!

One fade to black later...

And let me tell you... these parts are INCREDIBLE.
The readings I got off these puppies surpassed my expectations in every respect.

But you won't see me moping about it. Nope! I'm happy, in fact.
Now I have a challenge!
Oh, that's right...
I also succeeded in extracting some energy from the parts.
It looks like it can be used to boost our equipment. I made a little something as a test.
It's yours, as a reward for helping me.

Not to brag or anything, but that should be pretty high quality.
We're coming up to the end of our mission...
If this makes a difference in the last battle, well, there'd be no higher honor than that.
It would be one of the proudest moments of my life...
Alright, I'm going to spend some time researching this thing.
You work for the present--I'll work toward the future.
We can do it.

We'll see what the Dragon Ring can do in a moment, but first...

You completed all the odd jobs I gave you...
You're the best, man.

> Dent's attitude suddenly changed...

You are indeed the one who will lead us. Please excuse my previous coarse behaviour.

They are all thankful, and blessed your name.
We all pray... that you will stand victorious before the Mother.

So, the Dragon Ring? It gives the main character Endure. Welp, that's going on right away. Sorry, Odin Ring! Your time is up.

We'll get the rest of Fafnir's possible gear before we're done, don't worry. You'll understand then why I recommend getting the scales instead but this is Very Good as an alternative!

A Scorched Nation

...Okay, so, there's one more thing in here that is gated off by the dark room hellmaze.

Thankfully, for the Most Important Thing we just go south here.

That brings us around to these stairs... back up to 1F...?

And a Barong to talk to, huh...?

NAME RANGDA... SHE EVIL WITCH...
ME FEEL RANGDA ENERGY. SOMEWHERE IN THIS WORLD...
BUT ME NO KNOW WHERE. RANGDA... WHERE SHE?
HOW ABOUT IT...? CAN YOU FIND RANGDA...?
Yes.
HMM...! ME THANK YOU...!
YOU TAKE THIS.

THE SACRED MIRROR ME CARRY.
GIVE TO RANGDA. SIGN OF DUEL...
...ME COUNT ON YOU.

Well, we know where Rangda is at least. We'll go through that one-way door right behind Barong here.

That lets us finish the map for the area, and only leave... B1F unmapped...

Then we'll take the elevator to B4F where Rangda is most prevalent.

Encounter

Wait a moment... what is that you have in your hands...?
No... you don't have to tell me... This... this wave...!
Barong! It's from Barong!
Here, give me that!

Hmph... the designs on this are so flashy and irritating...
I hate seeing this thing thrown around carelessly.
So, then... do you know the story of myself and Barong?
No.
Then I'll tell you. Listen with both ears open, okay, dearie?

How long, you ask? Hmm... Why don't you take a guess?
Ten years? A hundred years? Maybe a thousand?
From a human perspective, you might even think ten thousand years was an awfully long time.
But not so for Barong and I... He is my archnemesis forever.

That's how long we've been reincarnating and fighting.
Heeheehee... How interesting...!
I thought the edge of the world would be a quiet place, but...
Barong has come! The cycle of our karma will continue here, too!
...Then I suppose I'd best send a response to Barong.
Here, take this.

...We'll be with each other for eternity. What's the use in hurrying to the showdown?
Let me relax a bit and see the sights of this godforsaken land.

> The demon left...

Alright, so back to Barong we go...

A Scorched Nation

Yes.

> You handed Barong Rangda's Claw...

RANGDA GIVE CLAW...

ME AND RANGDA SEE WHAT HAPPEN TO THIS WORLD...

> Barong left...

A single Great Chakra is nice and all, but it feels underwhelming-ish for this. At least it was a very quick quest all things considered and it's way better than getting a loving Dauntless Ring.

So, anyway, B1F. Pay very close attention to the map here. This second half is only doable because we have Visualiser C. You could bruteforce through to Barong without it, but past here is pure, unadulterated misery.

Honestly, I'd recommend skipping it wholesale until NG+ anyway for reasons that should make sense later.

Are you beginning to spot why this area loving sucks yet? It's going to get worse before it gets better, don't worry.

At least it's kind enough to trick you into thinking it's a way to proceed with both a terminal AND a heal spot here! The terminal is nice for giving you a way to say gently caress this noise, though.

And the worst part is that all those dark rooms are just a path to these stairs down to B2F. It's a loving miserable time just to get an alternative route to the conveyer belt maze.

Real talk here:

The dark rooms leading to Barong are annoying but managable. Everything AFTER that could be excised and nothing woukd be missing or need to be changed. What does this add exactly? Absolutely nothing.

...Let's just go beat up all 5 Enemy Search C demons now.

Mentioned it before, but in Carina-Horologium all Enemy Search demons have a 19% spawn rate. In Antlia/Bootes, it's 20% each. This isn't taking into account the 20% chance of Enemy Search C being selected, mind (A and B are 40% each).

Seth we've technically seen before though. In Bootes, Carina, Fonax and Grus he appears with a Nidhoggr friend.

...Well, this took long enough. Hello there, final Fiend!

Fiend Trumpeter

So, hello there Trumpeter. Kind of an anticlimax of the random fiends, but he IS technically more of a threat than Mother Harlot was!

This is part of why for sure. Base power 400, costs 60MP, hits everyone, very nasty. Definitely don't bring Alciel, if you're still using him for some silly reason!

He also has this. Heimdallr could do this as well, but he never gets a chance. Trumpeter does, because he has 2000HP and is a Fiend that isn't David, Matador or Mother Harlot and so he's immune to ailments.

Horn of Fate is a weird instant-kill attack. It has a 50% chance to be Expel, a 50% chance to be Curse and it also has a 10% chance to target the user's party instead. It's REALLY bad!

Trumpeter is honestly worse than Pale Rider in practice, for you at least, but at least he's way better than Mother Harlot. He resists Fire, Ice, Wind and Elec, is immune to Expel and Curse and of course is immune to every ailment except Rage.

But hey he drops Beads of Life! And he's super susceptible to being Riot Gunned down! Whoops, how unfortunate for you Trumpeter.

End

Kangiten is... really, realy uninteresting honestly. They're a Luck demon, have no ailments to use, neutral to everything except Expel and Curse which they're immune to.

Skill-wise, usable Kangiten has Samarecarm AND Invitation for some insanely stupid unfathomable reason. Their source gives both as well! Third skil is Fleeting Rain... which is not on the source, and is replaced with Mana Surge instead. So dumb. Enemy-Kangiten of course does not have Samarecarm or Invitation instead being the sole demon to have Wastrel Beam. It's Macca Beam but worse because it straight-up halves your money.

Kangiten always appears solo.

Mot! Sadly, this Mot is not a theatre student. Understandable because it's mechanically not doable here anyway.

He's weak to Elec, resists Fire, is immune to Curse and Drains Wind. He has Magarudyne and Megidolaon, oh my. He also happens to be the only demon to have Drain Wind as a passive; remove it. Remove it with no hesitation! He innately Reflects Wind. His basic attack has a 10% chance to inflict Mute but he's vulnerable to all ailments unfortunately for him.

Also his base magic is 62. His second highest stat is Luck at 56. His magic has a 17% growth rate. Mot is Pretty Good, in theory!

Mot has those two Mushussu buddies in Antlia, Delphinus, Eridanus and Horologium.

Samael is so, so bad. He's a Strength demon but his only attack skill is Megidola. He's immune to Curse, weak to Expel and has no more resistances or weaknesses.

At least his source gives both Void Expel AND Curse. That's... something, at least.

Always appears solo.

Thor is the most interesting of a bad bunch, I suppose. You can see his resistances there, though he also is 300% weak to Paralysis (uhh) and Poison. As an added bonus, those Fire and Elec drains are for 125% of the base damage.

Weird that his best skill in this setup is Ziodyne but Magic is his second lowest stat. Mortal Jihad at least does play to his Strength. Also his base attack hits 1-2 times.

Like Kangiten and Samael, he appears solo in every sector.

Prayer

Since each Enemy Search C demon has a whole 4% chance to appear (3.98% in Carina onwards!), and I want at least 6 of each of their forma, we ended up with a lot of materials. We have in fact unlocked almost everything at this point, but the only one we care about at the moment is the Meteor Dragoon. This little badboy right here is the 2nd best gun in terms of the bigger picture, but since the only one better is alignment specific...

Freischutz is a multi-target Almighty attack with a base power of 200. Moan Bullet is a random 1-3 hits of Almighty damage with a base power of 150. Freischutz costs 50MP and Moan Bullet costs 45, for reference. Moan Bullet is Hitonari's best skill by a mile and a half and its on like 3 guns which is pretty absurd if you think about it.

I highly recommend attempting to get this as soon as its realistically possible, which does take a long time. It's been sat in the shop for ages but we've only recently been able to come close to making it. It requires AT Delphite X x3, Vile Bone x2 (Set(h)) and Reaper Tablet x2 (Mot).

And now I'm gonna make a couple demons that'll help us deal with the last sidequest and then the finale. Laksmi is a demon that I just generally like; here she IS weak to Elec but she's also immune to Charm. By default she has Invitation but Invitation is bad so whatever.

Might as well use Norn! She's not amazing but we'll make her more than usable all the same.

This is most of the way there already. Just need to drop that top line of skills, honestly. Laplace Curse is not helpful any more, Eternal Rest is too niche now and Diarahan is a healing spell.

This'll do for now, I guess. Probably replace Laplace Curse with Fire Amp while you're not looking though.

Norn has no ailment resistances or weaknesses and her Charm thing has a 10% chance.

The Land Where The Seed's Memories Lie Buried

So, let's head on over to... Grus... for a moment. This is required, yes. Gotta go to the Phase Shift A Sanctum.

Law Theme

Gotta head all the way back to where we spoke to Mastema that one time. You know the one.

I'd heard you had chosen to walk with us... an wise decision. (sic)
We must now make preparations for the holy battle that is to come.
To begin with, I am thinking of welcoming a new messenger.
Our comrades who have chosen to become the new light have already left for the ritual grounds.

It is sector Horologium where we shall carry out the ritual.

...Uh? Horologium is a convenient name devised to make talking about this place easier for people. It's not its actual name.

...Or is it? Hmm.

If it pleases you, come and bear witness to the birth of new light and give it your blessing.

Silence

Look to your machine.

We'll head on allllll the way over back to that point in Horologium. Having the shortcut elevators helps a bunch with that, at least.

This ritual is the first step toward that end.

The miracle that shall be the foundation of a beautiful world...

Let us begin the ritual.

Ahh, Tadano, you have come too?
A new angel is on the verge of being born.
Let us rejoice and sing!
We will fill the world with the Holy Spirit!

Law Theme

quote:

Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus, Dominus Deus Sabaoth. Pleni sunt caeli et terra gloria tua. Hosanna in excelsis. Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini. Hosanna in excelsis.

The Sanctus, of course, is part of traditional Mass and has been since the first century so, uh, yeah. It's actually relevant and appropriate here. Sensible!

I am the nameless angel, born in readiness for the holy war.

I have no name. Also my name is Seraph.

...I know Seraph is a class of angels, shut up.

Tadano...
I have seen thy deeds through the eyes of many an angel.
Despite thy power to control demons, a power too great for the sons of man...

Our Lord must be very pleased.
Now then...
I have come to this land to smite the cursed Mother...
But first, I would give thee greater power.
The sacred flames that burn evil...

Tel Megiddo (The Tell of the Governor) is a location in Jerusalem. It's where the Book of Revelations predicts that at the end of the world Satan and Jesus will do a good ol' slobberknocker.

This 100% applies for Megido, the spell, as well of course.

But before I entrust it to theee, thou hast a task to carry out.
All saints are tempted by evil and lured to the path of disgrace.
Just as our Messiah bore 40 days and 40 nights of temptation...
However, we have not such time.
I wish that thou woulds go to the source and disperse the mists of temptation.
That shall be thy trial to gain the Lord's flame.

A new demon of illusion is being born there.
Thou must smite it.

So much back and forth... Alright, fine, back to the end of Grus we go. At least we have a shortcut to skip 90% of it.

Silence

Gwahahaha!

Chaos Theme

So you have come, human...
You didn't have to, you know. I might've melted you with my charms.

...Bold indeed.
How many times do I have to say that we're made of different stuff than humans!?
Well, I'll repeat it as many times as it takes!
As long as you see me shining, the stunted humans will fall and do themselves in!

...I really don't want to think of Mara shining. Augh.

Tyrant Mara

Vehement Rage

Although, since Mara is our final optional boss, I'd rather listen to something.... different

Mara Battle (JP)
much better and i swear that first link IS in english!!

So, Mara! Mara is a Buddhist demon of - among other things - death and temptation (...yes, really) that attempted to tempt the Buddha (yes, really) into giving up on his path to enlightment with sex.

With Mara's daughters, not Mara himself. Kind of disappointing, really. This is a super-super oversimplification but whatever.

The in-game compendium info gets roughly 100% of its info on Mara completely wrong, upto and including using female pronouns for Mara. Yes. Because he's Mara, you see. Mother Mara. Don't think about it.

(his name is also japanese colloquial slang for a penis hence the design)

Here, he's a bit less exciting. He doesn't even have Charm Strike or Hell Thrust!

He does at least have decent Phys attacks and will use them on the full party.

And grow to deal extra damage just to be on the safe side.

Only got 2000HP, so he doesn't take long to beat at all. Inexplicably, Mara is more of a Magic demon than a Phys one. Barely, but still. He has 61 Magic and 59 Strength. Genuinely weak to Fire, resists Phys, Ice, Elec, Wind and immune to Expel and Curse. His basic attack even has a 10% chance to Paralyse.

End

Law Theme

Thy deeds are wonderful.
As promised, thou shalt be honored as a saint.
If the world were more full of those like thee, 'twould truly be at peace.
Thou hast earned the right to hold the flames of judgment.
Take this.

Megido Fire is... not very good, honestly.

The machine created with the knowledge of men, the Demonica... and the Demon Summoning Program.
They represent power beyond the means of man.
...However, our Lord shall surely permit thou to wield it.

Wilt thy sign with me?

This is only a choice because we're Law aligned right now. If we weren't, he'd just leave instead.

Yes.
So be it.
In His name, I sign with thee.

So, we have a Seraph now and we can use him... even though we can't. Also he'd be unlocked for fusion regardless at this point.

The Megido Fire is so bad. It's weaker than the Meteor Dragoon, has gun Agidyne and gun Maragidyne (Gun Maragidyne has a base power of 100; the same as gun Agi), and Riot Gun Copy is inexplicably arguably the relatively worst gun skill. It's not THE worst but...

It costs 80MP. It deals Almighty damage to a single target. It's base power? 200. It is more expensive than Riot Gun... hell, it is more expensive than Freischutz. And it's worse. Much, much worse. The difference between RGC and Freischutz is that RGC is single target and Freischutz isn't.

Riot Gun Copy is so, so, SO bad.

Seraph comes in his base frorm and we can't do anything about that. Like, we CAN Mitama him but I'd have to grind 15 levels and gently caress that noise.

Big Bang is a more powerful Megidolaon. It has a base power of 450 (Megidolaon is 400) and costs 70MP to Megidolaon's 60. Big Bang's most interesting thing is that it is unique to Seraph.

Holy Wrath is a Megido that costs 45MP but becomes a Megidolaon that costs 45MP when used on Chaos enemies. That sounds nice, but notice how it says it "all" and not "all enemies" or whatever. Yes, Holy Wrath hits you as well. It hits everyone.

Salvation is a healing spell. In a rare twist, it is the only healing spell worth using outside of very, very rare niche scenarios! It's Mediarahan and multi-target Amrita. This gets a pass to usable because there is no item that duplicates its effect. It'd be more useful if we got it earlier, but its worth could still come up in the future.

As you'd expect, Seraph is a special fusion that mimics the cutscene in which he was made.

His Source is Big Bang, Drain Fire and Void Expel. If he levels up on a full moon, he can give us any Incense. That's... something?

Prayer

And now all that remains is to go see Irving and see what he has for us. Whew boy... Unless I say otherwise, presume that the weapons are either bad or just outdated at this point.

The Daimaen is a pain to make to boot; AT Horolite x2, Reaper Knife x8 (Nergal) and Wilder Flame x8 (Fenrir).

The Laevateinn is arguably still worth using for that Fear effect. Notably the bottom screen DOES tell you what element weapons basic attacks are but this isn't Fire. I don't know why that's there because it's never not Physical for swords and Gun for uh Guns.

AT Horolite II x2, Eerie Coronet x1 (Trumpeter) and Tyrant Lignite x3 (Surt). Hey that makes sense, kind of. Well done.

We could've gotten this from the Fafnir quest as well. It's the worst reward by a mile and a half. Don't do it! It's still a pain to make though. AT Antlite X x2, Reaper Knife x8, Drake Heart x6 (Fafnir).

Like with the Laevateinn this is maybe worth using for the Charm effect rather than anything else. Its also got the highest Attack of all swords we can get from Irving, unless I'm forgetting something.

AT Bootite X x3, Sword Shard x2 (Red Rider) and Enigma Tusk x2 (Kangiten).

For the "final" sword off of Irving, the Dies Irae is an anticlimax. Muramasa is the real capstone here, I think. Dies Irae is also inexplicably really hard to make too, hence why its at the top here.

AT Forite X x3, Cold Scythe x2 (Pale Rider) and Kishin Hammer x2 (Thor).

Now for the final 3 guns we can get from Irving! The Pinaka has nothing to do with Shiva here, sadly. Grateful One is the strongest pure Gun elemental attack for Hitonari; base power of 175 and it costs 35MP. Desperado is the MT equivalent costing 45MP with a base power of 165. Storm Spray is Gun Magarudyne. See Inferno Spray above. Replace Agi with Garu.

AT Horolite II x2, Enigma Lotus x8 (Kama) and Jaki Chain x8 (Hecatoncheir).

Shock Spray is Maziodyne. You get the idea here. It'd be nicer if this thing had any single target attacks at all. It still wouldn't be good, mind you.

AT Horolite II x2, Tyrant Orb x8 (Tzitzimitl) and Yoma Ivory x8 (Ganesha).

The Ebony Tear is kind of a worse Meteor Dragoon in a way. Its minimum 3 hits means its functional attack is either 99 or 132 at least. That's pretty good for a basic gun attack; shame it doesn't help Moan Bullet. Just use the Meteor Dragoon instead, though this IS technically easier to get but only just.

AT Antlite X x3, Victor's Bow x2 (White Rider) and Vile Prehnite x2 (Samael).

Slightly more armor than we can see here, for once.

Fire, Ice and Wind Guards are, uhhh...

Well, they're not good. Go back, see what I said about Earth Mail and Thunder Guard. Same thing applies here.

Fire: DF Horolite II x2, Raptor Sun x6 (Huonaio) and Beast Flame x6 (Cerberus)
Ice: DF Horolite II x2, Vile Skeleton x2 (Pales) and Haunt Ribs x4 (Vetala)
Wind: DF Horolite II x2, Raptor Molt x2 (Hresvelgr) and Femme Claws x3 (Rangda)

The Fimbul Vest is straight up one of the best pieces of armor. It's not quite the best, but it's up there. 2 immunities, 3 if you include Expel, and no weakness? Don't mind if I do!

DF Eridite X x3, Judgment Scale x2 (Black Rider) and Kishin Hammer x2.

Mesotes Vest is not really all that great. It does have more defense than the Fimbul Vest (by 2 whole points!) but just nulling Curse is not very good at this stage.

DF Grusite X x3, Reaper Tablet x2 (Mot) and Enigma Tusk x2.

The Dragon Vest is the armor we could get from Fafnir. See what I said about the Fimbul Vest but for different elements. I'd grab this one over the Dragon Ring because making this is a loving pain in the rear end: DF Carite X x2, Drake Heart x6 and... Onogoro Stone x3.

The Absolute Vest is the best armor in the game. It sure doesn't look like it now with only nulling Gun, but it is. Highest defense, no weakness and we can do A Special Thing with this.

DF Carite X x3, Vile Prehnite x2 and Vile Bone x2 (Seth).

It gives Hitonari Laplace Curse. Really not worth it. AC Horolite x3, Tyrant Lignite x2 and Wilder Flame x5.

The Dragon Ring is pretty easy to make all things considered, which is another reason why grabbing it from Fafnir is not necessarily the best option.

AC Horolite X x2, Snake Scales x8 (Yamata-no-Orochi) and Jaki Chain x6.

Well, I needed to get enough Coronets to unlock this anyway.

And finally, the Megidola Stone. AC Horolite x2, Tyrant Orb x3 and Enigma Lotus x3.

That means we've made all swords, all guns, all armor, all items... but not all accessories...? That's pretty weird, that. Wonder what's going on there. Eh, probably nothing. I'm sure whatever's missing isn't that great anyway.

So, uh, how about that Mem Aleph?

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Seraph here has the coolest design among angels

• Locked thread